~~Interviews, articles of Tomas~~ - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Post ~~Interviews, articles of Tomas~~

I couldn't find a thread for articles for Tomas and therefore opened one if you don't mind

Just wanted to share this report with you:

Quote:
Stage set for Berdych
Margie McDonald
January 09, 2007

ALTHOUGH the Olympic Games represent the pinnacle for athletes the world around, tennis stars are rarely remembered for their feats in that arena.
Tomas Berdych is an exception to that rule. The Czech was just 18 when he stunned rampant world No.1 Roger Federer in the second round of the tennis tournament at the Athens Games in 2004. It was one of only six defeats the Swiss suffered that year.
Now 21, Berdych is tipped by several knowledgeable observers to be the dark horse capable of upsetting the world's best.

Berdych cruised through his opening match of the Sydney International yesterday, beating Australian wild-card Robert Smeets 6-2 7-5.

Having reached a world ranking of 13, Berdych has already surpassed his expectations.

"I've never set any goals like winning Wimbledon or something," Berdych said.

"When I started tennis I never thought I'd be in this position I'm in right now.

"So now I'm here I just want to get a little bit better and see where I will be with another step. I just want to improve year by year and see where it's going to finish."

Berdych's entry into the sport is far from a conventional tale, having grown up as the son of an engineer and a doctor. At 196cm, he could easily have ended up a basketballer.

"It just happened because my father started about five years before I did," Berdych said. "He went to play for fun and then he started me playing.

"When I was getting good my mother said 'you can do whatever you want but just don't be an actor'."

Berdych knows his win over Federer put him on the map.

"If you are Czech and you make a good result in singles somewhere like here in Sydney, only those who know tennis know the result and no-one else," he said.

"But at the Olympics Games, even if you are watching athletics or swimming or whatever, if you beat someone in a big sport then all of the Czechs know."

Berdych has not looked back since.

By the end of 2006, he had improved his ranking for the fifth straight year. But beating Federer still resonates.

"I cannot forget the emotions of this match," Berdych said.

"It was really fantastic and always when I can I think of it but tennis is not about the past but what's in the future."

Not far in his future is Rafael Nadal, assuming the Spaniard and Berdych win their second-round matches. Berdych holds a 3-1 record over Nadal including two wins last year: in Toronto in August and Madrid in October.

"There are not so many players that have this statistic with him but maybe it's his style of the game I like," Berdych said.

"I always like to play with the big top 10 guys."

And why wouldn't he when Berdych leaps high to get maximum force and follow-through on his groundstrokes. His serve is also very handy, particularly because of his height.

"I think because I'm not small," he said explaining the rapid improvement in his game. "Also until I was 14 (I played) on clay where you have long rallies and you have to be more fit."
Source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0-2722,00.html
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
country flag missalyce

missalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~~Interviews, articles of Tomas~~

thanks
missalyce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
country flag angela

angela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
country flag refero*fervens

refero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond repute

Not really an article, but
-------

Snake aces champ

CZECH tennis player Tomas Berdych was playing very well at the Sydney International, winning matches with his astounding energy, big heart and boundless courage. The 21-year-old is ranked 13th in the world, and he has even beaten Roger Federer. Once. But yesterday (the day before, act.), at a small animal enclosure near the tennis arena, Berdych took fright. The enclosure was filled with possums and lizards and various other specimens of Australian fauna. Berdych loved the possums and kissed a baby crocodile. But handlers were particularly keen to get the tennis ace to hold a small python. And he wasn't having a bar of it.
---------

Any pics of that? I was when I saw him kiss the croc on TV, it was rather strange but cute.

refero*fervens is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
country flag angela

angela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond reputeangela has a reputation beyond repute

kissed a baby crocodile!!!!!!!!!!!!
Upsss
Old 01-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
country flag Deea

Deea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond repute

Interview after today's match

Quote:
T. BERDYCH/D. Tursunov
6‑2, 6‑1, 6‑2

Q. Looks on paper rather like an easy match. Was it your aggression that made it that way?
TOMAS BERDYCH: I don't know if it was aggression, but I have to just say that it was my best tennis so far here in Melbourne. I'm very happy with my game today because, yeah, it was windy and the condition was tough.
I mean, the last two matches was very close. One I won, one I lost. Yeah, I'm very happy I made the match so easy today.

Q. Does that win today give you confidence to go further into the championship?
TOMAS BERDYCH: Yeah, of course. When you win the match, doesn't matter if you win straight sets or you have to fight in the fifth set, it gives you some confidence. Then for the next matches, it's just even better.

Q. Any particular part of your game today that pleased you?
TOMAS BERDYCH: I mean, today everything works. Today was everything fine. Yeah, from first point to the last one was everything good.

Q. Good news for Lucie as well. She got through at the same time as you.
TOMAS BERDYCH: Yeah, of course, it's fantastic result for her. She's in the quarterfinal. That's fantastic in a Grand Slam. Yeah, that's good.

Q. The doubles today?
TOMAS BERDYCH: We not going to play the doubles. Also for like the schedule, yesterday the matches was canceled so I played today, and now I supposed to play tomorrow.
Also the weather conditions is tough, it's so windy. Both of us playing really good. I don't think it's good idea to go and just play the mix in these conditions. Also I think Lucie is like feeling a little bit her leg. It's not going to be the right decision to play the mixed today.

Q. Since how long are you so close with Lucie?
TOMAS BERDYCH: Four years.

Q. Did you go to the same school, same time, same place?
TOMAS BERDYCH: We are both from the same city. That's fine.

Q. Do you find the two of you doing the same thing, being from the same city, do you push each other to be better?
TOMAS BERDYCH: Yeah, I think it can looks like it's advantage. I think it's true because each other we know what the tennis is, that we need to travel, practicing, all the things what is together with the tennis. Yeah, it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer on Marat Safin, AO 2009
Anyway, I love playing against the guy. He brings something different to the tennis world with his character, the way he is on the court and the way he is off the court. He's larger than life.
Deea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for all those things

nice to read his sayings on Lucie

btw... Tomas guy, we know you played really well, but it didnt matter to say one word that Dima was not well enough

well, to be serious, better luck to you for next round
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
country flag missalyce

missalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond reputemissalyce has a reputation beyond repute

french article

Couple à la ville, Lucie Safarova et Tomas Berdych, Tchèques tous les deux, ont gagné leurs matches à quelques minutes d'intervalle dimanche à l'Open d'Australie: une victoire de routine pour lui, une sensation pour elle.

OPEN D'AUSTRALIE

"Je remercie mon petit ami, qui doit être en train de jouer en ce moment. Il a gagné ? C'est génial, on aura quelque chose à fêter ce soir." Après sa victoire sur la tenante du titre Amélie Mauresmo, Lucie Safarova, a révélé au public de la Rod Laver Arena sa relation avec le meilleur joueur tchèque du moment.

"Chez nous, en République tchèque, tout le monde est au courant, même si le tennis ne passe qu'après le hockey sur glace et le foot", s'est amusé la grande blonde aux yeux bleus, ensuite devant la presse. "Ca fait quatre ans qu'on est ensemble!"

"Quatre ans, eh oui", a confirmé Monsieur une demi-heure plus tard, après avoir expédié Dimitry Tursunov dans l'anonymat du court N.2. Agés de 19 et 21 ans, les deux tourtereaux se connaissent en fait "depuis toujours", selon Madame.

"On était dans la même ville, dans le même club quand on était jeunes, on se croisait tout le temps", a-t-elle minaudée, repoussant dans un grand sourire toute idée de mariage. "Vous plaisantez! On est trop jeunes."

En attendant, les deux s'entendent à merveille. Ils se baladent main dans la main dans le stade et partagent un quotidien rythmé par les matches, les entraînements, les soins et l'attente dans le salon des joueurs.

"On s'encourage mutuellement"

"On connaît ce que vit l'autre, la vie sur les tournois, les voyages, la compétition et ça c'est un vrai plus", raconte Berdych, 13e mondial et grand espoir du tennis mondial.

"On s'encourage mutuellement, ça nous aide beaucoup" , ajoute-t-il. Comme il se doit, le couple était inscrit en double mixte et devait jouer plus tard dans la journée dimanche. Mais lui estimait que ce n'était pas une très bonne idée: "On ne va pas le jouer, je joue demain, elle a un peu mal à la jambe, il y beaucoup de vent, on laisse tomber."

Ils faut dire qu'ils n'avaient pas prévu de réussir de telles performances en simple, du moins en ce qui concerne Safarova, 70e mondiale, car Berdych fait déjà partie des meilleurs.

"Je suis très satisfait de son niveau de jeu. Aujourd'hui, tout a marché du premier au dernier point", a apprécié le Tchèque qui était surtout éberlué par la performance de sa copine: "Ce qu'elle a fait aujourd'hui, c'est génial. Battre Mauresmo et aller en quarts de finale d'un Grand Chelem, c'est un résultat fantastique pour elle."

"C'est fou, on est tous les deux très heureux, a estimé Safarova. Avant de venir à Melbourne, on en avait parlé: et si on frappait tous les deux un grand coup ici ? Mais c'était plus pour rire."

Dimanche, Amélie Mauresmo et Dimitry Tursunov n'ont pas trouvé ça très drôle.
missalyce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few of these guys and Tomas appreciates them.

http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/artic...79&HandlerId=1

Berdych Brigade

19 January - They may not come from the Czech Republic, speak the Czech language or for that matter even know many Czech players. But they do know Czech No.1 Tomas Berdych. Meet the ‘Berdych Brigade’.

Group leader Tom Sutton (he's the one with the 'Y' on his chest), first came across the tall, hard-hitting Czech as a ball boy four years ago. He was that impressed by Berdych’s game and personality that he decided to start his own fan club. And slowly but surely over the past few years he has built up a group big enough to be heard where ever they go.

“I ‘ball-boyed’ Tomas in the qualifying four years ago and we’ve sort of been following his tennis around the world the last few years and every year at the Australian Open we try and get a few of us down here,” says Sutton, 19. “We’ve got more of us this year and we’re hoping he can go all the way.”

Of the 20 or so cheer squad members, zero are Czech. They all come from Melbourne and it’s not hard to tell once you hear their chants, which are otherwise typically heard at Australian cricket grounds or an Australian Davis Cup match.

“It started out as a bit of fun and started getting a bit serious as he got better and better. He’s actually a really good bloke. He signed sweatbands and signed a lot of hats for us. He came up and spoke to us after the match.”

Berdych is now into the third round of the Australian Open after two convincing wins and Sutton says his group has had something to do with it.

“It must help somewhat,” he claims. “He does have an enormous amount of talent but we reckon we just get him over the line in the tight matches. He’s lost like just ten games since we’ve been here so it’s pretty exciting. He got past the second round and we’re going to take some credit for that.”

Sutton reckons Berdych has what it takes to win his first Grand Slam in Melbourne. And the more he keeps winning the bigger the cheer squad becomes.

“We’ve got more and more people coming the further he gets in the tournament.”

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
country flag angela

cool!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
country flag Deea

Deea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond reputeDeea has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article GW! Too bad the "Berdych Brigade" couldn' help Tomas more in the math against Davydenko Oh well, maybe next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Federer on Marat Safin, AO 2009
Anyway, I love playing against the guy. He brings something different to the tennis world with his character, the way he is on the court and the way he is off the court. He's larger than life.
Deea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh the "Tomas Berdych Army". What cringeworthy fun they were. Their songs were so cheesy and awful but they made everyone laugh and Tomas appreciated them a lot and his matches wouldn't have been the same without them
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #13
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

This is article is a bit old (it's from the day he won Paris-Bercy), but here it goes for those who haven't read it yet.

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/a...?enewsid=27669

Quote:
Berdych enhances reputation as giant killer
Tuesday, November 8, 2005

PARIS - Reuters

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal may have suggested the name of Tomas Berdych if asked who might break their monopoly of this year's Masters Series tournaments.

Few others would have bet on the quiet 20-year-old Czech, who upset in-form Croatian Ivan Ljubicic in a five-set thriller to claim the Paris Masters title on Sunday.

The reason why Federer and Nadal, the world's top two players who have won the season's other eight events, might have tipped Berdych is because he has beaten them both.

The quiet Berdych, the world number 50 before his Paris run, is one of two players along with Slovakia's Dominik Hrbaty to have posted victories over Federer and Nadal in the past two seasons.

"It helps because you know that you can beat everybody on the tour," he said when reminded of his victories over the leading pair.

Berdych enhanced his reputation as a giant killer, beating four seeds en route to the final before taming Ljubicic, the world number 10 who recently won titles in Metz and Vienna before stretching Nadal to five sets in the Madrid final.

By beating Ljubicic, Berdych became the second-youngest winner of the Paris tournament after Boris Becker, who was 18 when he won here in 1986.

"We were looking at the list of former champions with my coach in the morning and I saw that Becker was only 18 when he won it and Marat (Safin) was also 20 when he won (in 2000)", Berdych said.

"I said to myself it would be nice if I could put my name on that list."

Great feats:Predicting great feats is a habit for the combative Czech.

After losing to Nadal in the Bastad final in July, he said: "Never mind, I'll beat him next time".

He did, knocking out Nadal in the first round of the Cincinnati Masters in August.

Before coming to Paris, Berdych had won just one title, on the Palermo clay last year.

He did, however, make headlines by knocking out Federer at last year's Olympics in Athens, where he reached the quarter-finals.

A man of few words, Berdych, whose partner is Czech professional player Lucie Safarova, is happy to let his tennis do the talking.

"He's quiet," said his coach Jaroslav Navratil.

"He's not a party animal. He's entirely focused on his tennis and Lucie helps him do that."

Before Sunday's final, Navratil had warned that Berdych could hold his nerve if the final turned out to be a tense battle.

"He's never nervous at crucial moments and that's very important," Navratil said. "I see him entering the top 10 very soon."

Federer and Nadal probably share that view.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 AM   #14
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Great article and I love the Berdych Army.

Here are some comments from Tomas about his view on playing Davis Cup.

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/media...C_6935_mp3.MP3

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #15
country flag Ashie_87

Ashie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond reputeAshie_87 has a reputation beyond repute

From the June '07 Australian Tennis Magazine:

Tomas Berdych: the Stand-out
by Vivienne Christie

Playing among the big boys has never been an issue for Tomas Berdych, who boasts wins over Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. But even with a top ten ranking and his first career titles, the 21-year-old still hasn't reached his full potential. Can this big Czech cash in at Wimbledon?

Amid all the challenges that exists as the game's youngest players navigate the tricky transition from promising junior to successful professional careers, rising from the pack can be a difficult task. But for Tomas Berdych, whose arrival on the ATP tour was soon followed by an upset of Roger Federer at the 2004 Athens Olympics, standing apart from his peers has never been an issue.

For one thing, that attention-grabbing win over Federer was quickly followed by his first career title in Palermo (Berdych has since claimed the prestigious Paris Masters title and finished runner up at three other events). And on meeting the 21-year-old for the first time, you soon realise that the Czech also stands out in the literal sense- at 195cm and 90kg, he's by far the biggest man inside the top twenty.

In fact, a quick flick through the ATP's official guidebook reveals that the only top 100 players to dwarf Berdych are the 208cm Ivo Karlovic and 198cm Joachim Johansson. Mario Ancic stands at the same height, while Marat Safin, routinely regarded as one of the game's big men, is in fact two centimetres smaller.

With those kinds of measurements, you have to wonder whether Berdych, who diminishes from giant to gentleman when he folds his imposing frame into a chair outside Melbourne Park's media restaurant, ever considered a career in basketball. But with his ice blue eyes twinkling, Berdych smiles and explains that tennis has always been his No.1 game.

"I started with my father when I was five or six years old," says Berdych. "He likes his sport and he was taking me to the tennis court and we started playing together. After two or three years I got my first coach...And then I started with (professional) tennis."

It's a simple explanation for what was, in fact, a childhood that required considerable sacrifice in order to fully capitalise on the talent that was evident from an early age. Born in the relatively small town of Valasske Mezirici, Berdych played on the local courts for only a short time with dad Martin (a train engineer). By his early teen years Berdych had moved to the city of Prostejov, where there were more practice partners and better coaches. He was rewarded with a stellar junior career that included winning the prestigious 18 & under national title in Parovbice, the same city that boasts Ivan Lendl as a champion.

Considering that connection it seems obvious that Lendl, a countryman who boasts eight Grand Slams among his 94 career titles, would be one of Berdych's heroes. It's somewhat surprising then to learn that the 21-year-old grew up admiring no player in particular. "I never had any (idols). I was just playing tennis," he says. "I can say that I like something from some of the players but I never said 'I want to be just like him' or anything. I just go my own way."

It's an answer that hints at the fact that when it comes to competing, Berdych is very much his own man. And while he is the epitome of patient and pleasant off the court, occasionally his will to win can manifest in some unexpected battles- such as the time when he upset Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals of last year's Madrid Masters.

Incensed by the Spanish crowd, who cheered every mistake he made in his match against the heavily favoured Nadal, Berdych held his temper until he'd struck the last wining point, when he put his finger against his lips in a sarcastic gesture that saw him booed off the court.

Nadal subsequently labeled Berdych "a very bad guy", to which Berdych retorted: "He's second in the world, yeah, he's a great player, but I think they have to understand that there's many, many other players that can beat him. And then when he say to you that you are very bad, for me it's nice that a very bad player can beat him three times."

Six months later, both players say that there is no trouble in their relationship (or more to the point, that they have no relationship apart from a competitive one) and Berdych agrees with commentators who suggested he would learn from the experience. "We say what's not going to kill you it's only going to make you stronger," he told reporters who recently asked him about that Madrid experience.

If nothing else, the incident highlighted the depth of Berdych's competitive nature. With his size boosting his natural weapons of a big serve and an impressive forehand, Berdych also refuses to be intimidated by some big-name opponents.

He is one of the few players in his age group to boast a winning record over Nadal (3-2 at the time of writing), with victories over Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, and Mario Ancic helping his rise into the world's top ten last year.

One of Berdych's proudest achievements remains that still talked about win over Federer in the second round of the Athens Olympics. "I have to say I cannot forget that moment after the match," he says with a smile. "Especially what made it a better feeling was that it was in the Olympic Games. I mean it's just once every four years. Also it was good to show my name...and if people are watching (because) they are watching all the other sport it helps in the Czech Republic that they know whi I am so it's not just about one match."

Berdych is the first to admit that the challenge now is to replicate his early successes on a bigger stage. While a fourth-round appearance at every Grand Slam event is impressive for any 21-year-old, Berdych knows he has the potential to make a much greater impact. "Always in the game there is something that you need to improve," admits the Czech, who is currently coached by countryman and former ATP pro Jaroslav Navratilov. "We are still making it that I make more shots into the net and not just stay on the baseline but it's tough because when you are small you are just playing this style and then when you are older...it's tough to change."

Given his fondness for remaining at the back of the court, Wimbledon would seem the Slam where Berdych is least likely to make a big breakthrough- particularly given that as a junior he honed his game in the Czech Republic's predominant surfaces of clay and hardcourts. In 2006, however, Berdych made a run to the final of Halle in Germany and impressed Federer, the eventual champion, with his ability to compete on grass, "I see him as a possible future great player. I think he's got great talent," said the World No. 1.

If Berdych can't succeed at Grand Slam level, the next best thing is Davis Cup. A bittersweet memory in his still-young career was when he won consecutive five-set thrillers against Nicholas Kiefer and Tommy Haas in a World Group tie in 2005, but the team still lost. Berdych suffered another Davis Cup blow in a first-round tie against the USA earlier this year, losing both singles rubbers to Roddick and James Blake, but the team event remains a high priority.

Berdych admits he was frustrated when Radek Stepanek, another top-twenty Czech, opted not to represent his country last year. "Every tennis player...of course they want to win a Grand Slam but it's tough," he says. "But if you're playing and you're always on the court, then you can play for your team and for your country. I mean, that's a great feeling."

With an obvious love for home (he still travels back to his birth town of Valasske Mezirici as often as possible) Berdych is thrilled that his improving form is helping to raise the game's profile in the Czech Republic. That's no small feat considering that the relatively small country boasts names like Lendl, Jiri Novak, and Hana Mandikova in its past, as well as a current crop that includes Nicole Vaidisova and Berdych's girlfriend, Lucie Safarova. "There are still two sports that are more popular- ice hockey and football," he says. "Tennis is getting better and better."

In some ways, it's been a case of success building success with Berdych having practiced and learnt from Novak as a developing player. Now, he says, the Czech players on tour enjoy unwinding together. "We are getting very close," he points out. "Especially for the dinners and everything, we're often together."

At World No. 11, Berdych is now embracing his role as the top Czech player- and you can't help feeling that he will still be standing even taller. Asked about his ultimate dream as a player, the 21-year-old refuses to give an exact answer.

"I have to say that I'm not going to say my dream. I will just leave it for myself and when the dream happens then I can say it was my dream," he says. And then Berdych offers a smile suggesting that like everything associated with this still-developing player, his secret dream is a big one.

Tomas
Ashie_87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote