The "Let's Stay out of the Tabloids kthanks" 2007 News Thread! - Page 60 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #886
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Let's Stay out of the Tabloids kthanks" 2007 News Thread!

well I am still feeling positive, I am even contemplating getting up at 7am to watch tomorrow. Although I probably shouldn't since I have an exam at 11am, but I wouldn't get up that early to revise anyway so I can just revise at the end.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #887
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Roddick's real focus
by: James Martin, TENNIS.com
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's not often that I feel sorry for a multimillion dollar athlete. No, really. But I must say that my heart goes out to Andy Roddick. Just a bit, anyway.

He's gone through so many emotional ups and down, and he's tried virtually everything this side of a ouija board to beat Roger Federer. In the quarterfinals at this year's U.S. Open, Roddick played a nearly flawless match against his nemesis. It was a brilliant display of attacking power tennis, brute force harnessed to full effect. And it was still not enough.

At this week's Masters Cup, Roddick has already qualified for the semifinals. He's also in the same half, the "Red Group," as Federer, so they'll have at least one showdown in Shanghai. Federer has been shaky over the last few weeks, but will that be enough for Roddick to start to turn around his 1-14 record against the world's No. 1 player?

On some level, it doesn't matter. While I'm sure Roddick would relish beating Federer and winning his first-ever Masters Cup, his entire season -- it's been a disappointing one by Roddick's standards, with just two singles titles -- points beyond Shanghai to Portland, Oregon.

That's where the Davis Cup final will be played in a couple of weeks. The tie against Russia means so much to Roddick that he even considered skipping the trip to Shanghai to make sure he was fully rested. (Andy, here's a tip: If someone offers you borscht, don't eat it.)

Although Davis Cup doesn't mean much, if anything, to the casual tennis fan, it means everything to Roddick. He speaks with conviction about the competition, and how much it'd mean to him and his teammates for the U.S. to win their first title since 1995 (the longest drought for the Americans).

What's so special about the Davis Cup for Roddick? Does he see an appeal that American champions Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors, among others, didn't?

To play the role of armchair psychologist -- or, OK, the cynic -- I'd say the reason is simple: The Davis Cup is the one major title that Roddick believes he has a realistic chance of winning.

In other words, Federer isn't in the house.

At 25, Roddick has reached middle age for a tennis player. Looking back on the first half of his career, he's had to swallow a bitter pill that at least two Wimbledon titles and a U.S. Open championship would have been his if not for Federer. Sure, many other players would have more hardware in their trophy cases, too, but no one has made you feel that sense of frustration and missed opportunities more than Roddick.

The guy's taken tons of heat, too. I can't recall a player so highly ranked who's been so roundly criticized. You've heard the arguments: the technique on his volleys is flawed, his backhand is rubbish. One alarming stat, I will say, is that Roddick's return of serve in 2007. He has won only 18 percent of his return games, which ranks him 54th on tour. It's all the more surprising when you consider that the return was his coach Connors' best shot.

But that's Roddick -- a flawed, but great, champion who doesn't always make it easy on himself. He'll be gunning for the Masters Cup title in Shanghai this weekend, even hoping he'll be crowned champion with a victory (or two) over Federer. But make no mistake: Roddick's season, and in large measure his career, has been building toward this one moment, the Davis Cup.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...17&name=tennis

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #888
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's so special about the Davis Cup for Roddick? Does he see an appeal that American champions Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors, among others, didn't?

To play the role of armchair psychologist -- or, OK, the cynic -- I'd say the reason is simple: The Davis Cup is the one major title that Roddick believes he has a realistic chance of winning.
Allow me to offer a different analysis of why Davis Cup seems more important to Roddick.

Andy is much more team-oriented than Andre, Pete or Jimmy. I think part of it is due to his personality. He has a much closer relationship with his compatriots than his predecessors. Andy enjoys being part of the group whereas Andre, Pete or Jimmy are much me-oriented.

I also think that it is a product of the culture in which Andy was reared. Although he grew up in Austin and South Florida, Andy is a quintessential Midwesterner with its stronger sense of team over self and its more unabashed national pride. I think representing his country is more personally important to Andy than it was to these other players (even though Agassi was a true Davis Cup stalwart).

I know that Jimmy also grew up in the Midwest, but I think that he is an exception due to the influences of his mother and grandmother who very much instilled his "me against the world" attitude.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #889
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, I completely agree with you and I think you're right. Andy's been passionate about Davis Cup since he was a kid, long before it became apparent that he was going to have to settle in Federer's shadow.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #890
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I love Davis Cup too. The idea of pitting 4 players from different countries around the world against each other and it not being a selfish solo effort definately appeals to me - it also a pleasure to watch the fans get riled up and have pride in their country. I applaud Andy, James and the Bryans for being so committed to something that in the tennis world perhaps is looked down upon a little bit.
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #891
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston's Human View Post
Allow me to offer a different analysis of why Davis Cup seems more important to Roddick.

Andy is much more team-oriented than Andre, Pete or Jimmy. I think part of it is due to his personality. He has a much closer relationship with his compatriots than his predecessors. Andy enjoys being part of the group whereas Andre, Pete or Jimmy are much me-oriented.

I also think that it is a product of the culture in which Andy was reared. Although he grew up in Austin and South Florida, Andy is a quintessential Midwesterner with its stronger sense of team over self and its more unabashed national pride. I think representing his country is more personally important to Andy than it was to these other players (even though Agassi was a true Davis Cup stalwart).

I know that Jimmy also grew up in the Midwest, but I think that he is an exception due to the influences of his mother and grandmother who very much instilled his "me against the world" attitude.
As usual, you are absolutely right Steve. I don't know why these tennis writers keep missing it but Andy has been saying for years that DC is important to him. The 1992 final he saw in person as a kid was what did it for him. I'm pretty sure 1992 was before Federer's time.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #892
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is because they put little onus on Davis Cup itself. After all most of them think this is the final tennis of the season.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #893
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

So one of Andy's childhood's goals is now a substitute prize for being in Roger's shadow? Get a life Mr Martin and leave Andy alone.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #894
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Onus!

...by the way all champions are flawed just like everyone else.

Last edited by partygirl : 11-15-2007 at 07:49 AM.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #895
country flag tennis lover

tennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond reputetennis lover has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson View Post
So one of Andy's childhood's goals is now a substitute prize for being in Roger's shadow? Get a life Mr Martin and leave Andy alone.
well said Blosson!

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
tennis lover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #896
country flag kaylee

OK I need to find out blosson's name please and thank you (I am on a mission to find out everyone's real name on here) although blosson is a really cute siggy! Oh and I agree with the above too!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #897
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

blosson is blosson I don't know her real name either.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #898
country flag kaylee

Thanks Re
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #899
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #900
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

OutSports names their sexiest tennis players.

http://outsports.com/tennis/2007/top10hotties1119.htm

#9: Andy Roddick
World No. 5 Andy Roddick has an on-court attitude that leaves something to be desired. His overplayed machismo can induce vomiting, but fortunately the Top Ten Hotties List doesn’t have a gag reflex. The American is spoiled and whiny in defeat, pompous and arrogant in victory. In fact, one might say that Andy is a big Roddick. We complain about it during tournaments, but now is the time to come out of the closet and confess our crush on the man with one of the most punishing serves in tennis. After all, who doesn’t love a bad boy? Roddick struts around the baseline with his muscular chest poking out; he stares intensely while teasingly tugging at his crotch; and he pounds ace after ace after ace until we beg him to stop. Andy’s all-American good looks and self-satisfied grin are just as lethal.

#7: Olivier Rochus
Is that a Belgian in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Adorable and talented, Olivier Rochus plays a beautiful brand of tennis. In fact, his game is almost as gorgeous as he is. The 5’5” tall Rochus would surely be a Top 10 player if you could award ranking points pound-for-pound, but his lack of stature has kept him out of the game’s upper echelon. The big boys constantly overshadow Little Oli, and oh how we love to watch! Let the debate end here, as Olivier Rochus proves once and for all that size doesn’t matter.

#5: Rafael Nadal
One asset alone garnered the King of Clay a spot in our Top Ten, and it wasn’t his ferocious topspin or monstrous biceps. (Admittedly, the latter didn’t hurt. At least not in the bad way.) It is impossible to look at Rafael Nadal and not stare at the junk in his trunk. The man himself has made public reference to his “famous ass,” so who are we to disagree? As far as the Top Ten Hotties list is concerned, that butt has enough star power to earn separate induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame! There is so much to admire about Rafael Nadal. He is as likeable a young man as you could ever meet without compromising his competitor’s spirit in any way. Nadal the tennis player never gives up. Similarly, Nadal’s ass just won’t quit.

#3: Janko Tipsarevic
Athletic up-and-comer Janko Tipsarevic could use a bath, because the dark, pierced, hairy and beautiful Serbian is dirty hot. Tipsarevic looks like the kind of guy who could shower with you for hours and never come clean, but do not mistake Tipsarevic for your average rough trade. He has a mind as wicked as his body. Janko is passionate about classic literature and has tattooed himself with quotes from Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky and German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer. A man that beautiful and that intelligent makes grown men sink to their knees.

#1: Novak Djokovic
He’s not ranked No. 1 on the ATP Tour yet, but ballsy Serb Novak Djokovic fulfills everyone’s fantasies by topping our list of the Top Ten Hotties in Tennis. Djokovic made his move in 2007, shooting towards the top of the rankings and finishing a solid third behind Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Novak promises to give good chase and make men’s tennis a ménage-a-trois in the months to come. Federer and Nadal should watch their backs, because Novak Djokovic is coming. Cocky and engaging (he shows some skin here), the Serbian phenom is as talented a shotmaker as you’ll find among the players below Federer. Luckily for gay tennis fans, when Djokovic shoots, we all score.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote