The "Let's Stay out of the Tabloids kthanks" 2007 News Thread! - Page 58 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #856
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Let's Stay out of the Tabloids kthanks" 2007 News Thread!

awwww "sniff" byeeeeeeeee Justin. I had the pleasure of bumping into him at the US Open (all very sweaty too) he was very nice and was signing loads of autographs and being very funny. Will miss him in a way.
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 AM   #857
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

new feature on Andy in the latest issue of Deuce mag

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/deuce/...07/roddick.asp

Andy Roddick: The Road Ahead
By JOEL DRUCKER
Published: November 7, 2007

As he arrives this week in Shanghai for the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup, Andy Roddick might well take heed of an ancient Chinese proverb: May you live in interesting times.

While some view these words as a blessing, others regard them as a curse. For the 25-year-old Roddick, a former World No. 1 seeking yet more Grand Slam glory and a return to tennis' pinnacle, the challenge of sorting out the positive from the negative will likely define the balance of his career. Well aware of this, Roddick is determined to face whatever comes his way. "I'm not going to run and hide because I'm catching some heat," he says. "I'm not going to stay at home and pout."

In the fast-paced world of contemporary tennis, the depth and variety of the ATP tour makes life increasingly competitive for the ambitious Roddick. While Roger Federer's dominance sets the tune, Roddick also must grapple with stellar competitors Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, as well as such rough customers as Nikolay Davydenko, David Ferrer and a host of peers boasting an exceptionally wide range of skills.

"It's an incredible period in tennis for a man like Roddick," says ESPN analyst Cliff Drysdale. "He's living with the greatest player who ever held a racquet in Federer, and the greatest who ever played on clay in Nadal. It's a remarkable era we're in right now."

So where does Roddick fit in? In large part, he stands at the crossroads. Consistent enough to have qualified for this event for the fifth straight year, Roddick now is very much a rebuilt work in progress. After all, it was less than 18 months ago that he tumbled out of Wimbledon in the third round, looking exceptionally passive in losing to Andy Murray and briefly falling out of the Top 10.

Shortly after that, Roddick began working with the legendary Jimmy Connors. It has been a unique partnership. Most coach-player relationships revolve around the coach learning to see the world through the player's eyes and then subtly providing guidance.

Roddick and Connors have turned that on its head. The implicit message of having someone like Connors in his corner is this simple: Andy, you must see the world through my eyes.

As U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe says, "Jimmy made every shot count. He knew so much about weight transfer, about driving your legs through the ball, about court positioning. You could see all of this making an impact on Andy's game very quickly. Were there other people who knew these things? Probably. But maybe it took someone who's done more than Andy has to get him to listen."

Roddick's run to the 2006 U.S. Open final final less than two months after he started with Connors validated that the partnership could work. And a year ago here in Shanghai he held match points against Federer.

But 2007 has been beguiling -- or, perhaps, merely a campaign built on transition and refinement. This year Roddick has earned but two titles, has a 3-5 match record against fellow Top 10 players and failed to reach a Grand Slam final for the first time since 2002. And beyond these mere facts, even Roddick admitted that his loss from two sets to love and 4-2 up in the third set in the Wimbledon quarterfinals versus Richard Gasquet will haunt him for some time.

But there have also been encouraging signs. Roddick beat rough customers Mario Ancic and Marat Safin on his way to the Australian Open semifinals. There he lost to Federer in a match that surely ranks as one of the Swiss' finest displays.

At the end of the 2007 Grand Slam season, Roddick played excellent tennis to make it to the last eight of the U.S. Open, where once again he encountered Federer. Throwing himself mightily into the first two sets, Roddick lost each in tie-breaks before going down in the third 6-2. As ESPN analyst Mary Carillo said, "He'd have beaten anyone else that night." Says Roddick, "It's frustrating. I'm just getting stuck against the guy who's staking his claim to being the best ever. You think about that sometimes -- that you're getting better, but so is he."

Roddick figures to bring his all to Shanghai. Having only played one tournament match since the U.S. Open, he might well be less tournament tough than desired, but he's also rested, hungry and well aware that both this event and another at month's end are exceptionally important.

Shortly after the Tennis Masters Cup's conclusion, Roddick will head to Portland, Oregon to prepare for the Davis Cup final - a competition he takes even more seriously than the Grand Slams.

Fifteen years ago, the 10-year-old Roddick attended the Davis Cup final when it was held in Fort Worth, Texas. Seeing big-time tennis up close only motivated him further. Now, with the U.S. hosting the final for the first time since that 1992 tie, Roddick is eager to bring the precious cup back to American soil after a 12-year exile. "He's been our leader for so many years," says McEnroe. "I think he can taste it."

Yet driven as Roddick is, he's aware that earning a living as a tennis pro is rare and odd. "Being famous never feels normal," he says. "I don't know if it will ever become normal." But he also recognizes that his wealth and fame can do more than get him a big TV to watch his beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers, a good seat at Miami Heat games or create friendships with the likes of his fellow Austin, Texas resident, Lance Armstrong.

"When I first turned pro I had all these questions I would ask guys constantly," says Roddick. "One thing I did was ask Andre [Agassi] what he regretted. Of course I figured he'd say something about tennis, but instead he said he wished he'd started his foundation even earlier." From the get-go, the Andy Roddick Foundation has been one of his major priorities. Roddick's own events and those he participates in raise millions for children that are abused, neglected, at risk and with catastrophic illnesses.

For all that perspective, though, Roddick knows he must press forward and continue working on his game, whether it be sharpening his backhand or improving his transition game. "I like how much he's working to overcome his limitations," says Drysdale. "He's always battling, always committed."

Never was Roddick's spirit more vivid than in the wake of his loss to Federer at the U.S. Open. True to the feisty manner of Connors, Roddick came away from that effort with a spectrum of feelings. On the one hand, he was bitterly disappointed, to the point where his profanity lit up the locker room immediately afterwards. On the other, Roddick was aware that he had fulfilled tennis' most important mission: giving everything he had. "I'm not walking off with any questions in my head this time. I'm not walking with my head down. I played my ass off out there tonight. I played the right way."

What the future holds for Andy Roddick is uncertain. What's crystal clear is that he'll leave nothing on the table. If Roddick has his way, the times will indeed get even more interesting. A man this restless wouldn't have it any other way.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #858
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

wow great article! Thanks Deb!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #859
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Ending on a high note
Catching up with Roddick, who's looking for rebound
Posted: Friday November 9, 2007 12:21PM; Updated: Friday November 9, 2007 2:42PM

For Andy Roddick, 2007 will probably end up going down as a disappointment. The top-ranked American got past the quarterfinals at only one major (the Australian Open) and won only two tournaments.

Most memorably, though, Roddick still couldn't beat his arch-nemesis, Roger Federer. The world's No. 1 player still owns Andy, beating him twice in two meetings this past year at the Aussie and U.S. Opens and putting Roddick at 1-15 all-time vs. Federer.

But Roddick has the opportunity to really end the year on a high note. He's the only American who qualified for the eight-man field at the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai, China, which kicks off Sunday. Then, on Nov. 30, Roddick leads the U.S. against Russia in the finals of the Davis Cup in Portland, Ore. The U.S. is looking for its first title since 1995.

Andy's currently in Shanghai getting ready to open the Masters Cup on Monday vs. Russia's Nikolay Davydenko. Then he'll face off with Federer for a 17th time. I caught up with him over e-mail.

SI.com: Reflect on your year -- what were the highs and lows?

Roddick: I think I had an OK year. I played my best tennis of the year at the Slams, but ran into some tough luck. If I'm being honest, I expected more of the year. The lowest part was losing that match at Wimbledon [a fifth-set tiebreaker epic against Richard Gasquet in the quarterfinals]. That really took a lot out of me mentally, maybe even more than I realized at the time. I didn't do a great job of moving on, and it might have bled over into the summer a little bit.

On the bright side, I played some of my best tennis during the U.S. Open and against Roger. I also played two of my best matches in our Davis Cup semi in Sweden. It's never easy playing Davis Cup, but I have found a certain comfort level doing it, which is a plus

SI.com: With James Blake failing to qualify, and with the Bryan brothers withdrawing due to Mike's elbow injury, you're the lone American in Shanghai. Is that a disappointment?

Roddick: I definitely wish there were more Americans here. James just missed out which is tough, because he played amazing here last year. It's unfortunate that the Bryans are not here as well, but selfishly, I'm glad that they're making their health a priority before the final.

SI.com: This makes five straight years that you've qualified for the Masters Cup. What does that accomplishment mean to you?

Roddick: It's nice to have qualified for the Masters Cup for five straight years. With the exception of Roger and Rafa Nadal, I have been as consistent as anyone else on tour as far as ranking and results for the last five. It's nice to have something to validate that. Hopefully I have five more ahead of me. This year, I'm healthy, and have actually been hitting the ball great since the Open, so I'm very optimistic. The first match will be very important for me.

SI.com: What does the Davis Cup mean to you?

Roddick: Davis Cup means so much to our whole team. This is my eighth year being a part of the team, which is kinda scary and makes me wonder where the time has gone. Some of the best memories of my career are from Davis Cup. I love my team and feel blessed to be a part of this journey with them.

SI.com: How excited are you for the final and what would a win mean to you?

Roddick: I had four ultimate goals when I turned pro that were beyond my wildest dreams: winning the U.S. Open, finishing No. 1, winning Wimbledon and winning the Davis Cup. This is another opportunity for me to accomplish a dream. The fact that I have the chance to do it with guys I love and respect would make it that much sweeter.

SI.com: I know how much your charity, the Andy Roddick Foundation, means to you. How successful has this year has been in that regard?

Roddick: The foundation is doing great, and we are well on our way to having our best year ever. Just a couple of weeks ago, we had an event with Elton John that raised more than $1.5 million in profit for local Austin [Texas] children's charities. Our goal is to flirt with the $3 million figure for the year, which would be amazing and would really help a lot of children who could use it. It's probably the most humbling thing I'm involved in and I'm so excited to see what more we can do.

SI.com: Looking forward to '08, what are your thoughts and what are you looking forward to?

Roddick: It has to be a big year for me. I need to play consistently better than I did this year, and bring it every week. I'm very focused on making a move and am highly motivated to make it my best year yet!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #860
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

i guess i won't say here what i told you on msn, deb.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #861
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Roddick: It has to be a big year for me. I need to play consistently better than I did this year, and bring it every week. I'm very focused on making a move and am highly motivated to make it my best year yet!
That is what i like to hear!!

As far as those 4 goals, if he can pull off the Davis cup i really think he can archive all 4 and that would be so spectacular & i will be so proud to have watched them all, next to actually being there.

One of the best things to me about human beings is the ability to dream.
Dreams are great & making them reality is the best thing human beings can do really, ever.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #862
country flag kaylee

me too!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #863
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
That is what i like to hear!!

As far as those 4 goals, if he can pull off the Davis cup i really think he can archive all 4 and that would be so spectacular & i will be so proud to have watched them all, next to actually being there.

One of the best things to me about human beings is the ability to dream.
Dreams are great & making them reality is the best thing human beings can do really, ever.
I love this post so much.and I agree with every sentence

Thanks for the articles Deb

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #864
country flag kaylee

Gimelstob will be missed - he is very funny!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #865
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate87 View Post
I love this post so much.and I agree with every sentence
Thanks.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #866
country flag kaylee

Old 11-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #867
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
In that last bit he sounds like an amped up cheerleader (aw!) That's some big talk
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #868
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah posting here *faints*

Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #869
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytta!. View Post
Sarah posting here *faints*

I'm home for the week

I miss this place
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #870
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Awwww
We miss you too!