2007 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #16
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2007

From the Ball in Delray.. Glad he is enjoying himself too!
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #17
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Singles: R1 vs Gabashvili
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 AM   #18
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Well they lost their doubles match to Auckland/Huss 5-7, 7-6(2), 17-15. Here's an article from his singles match, kind of similar to the last one I posted.

Gambill remains upbeat despite loss in first round

By Charles Elmore
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, January 29, 2007

DELRAY BEACH — Two-time champion Jan-Michael Gambill saved two match points, but a seven-month injury layoff caught up with him in the opening round of the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships on Sunday.

Gambill has been teaching tennis to kids in a small academy in Hawaii as he struggles with shoulder problems. Flashes of his Delray Beach mojo flickered on a windy stadium court, but Russia's Teimuraz Gabashvili ultimately prevailed 7-6 (3), 6-4.

"Honestly, I've been only practicing for a week," said Gambill, 29. "I just started serving when I got here. I was entirely in that match, and I enjoyed very much being out there."

The tendinitis in his right shoulder cannot be corrected by surgery and may well force his eventual retirement, Gambill admitted. Still, ranked 687th in the world, he was grateful to accept a wild card to a tournament that has accounted for two of his three career titles.

In the final game, Gambill ripped a forehand winner and an ace to save two match points, but sailed a forehand long on the third.

That sends Gabashvili to the first round-robin segment at a tournament on U.S soil, where eight groups will be made of three players each. He will face Spain's Guillermo Garcia-Lopez and Kristian Pless of Denmark in succession, and the player with the best record in the trio moves on to the quarterfinals. The final eight players play a traditional format to determine the champion.

"I like it because now I get to play two more matches," Gabashvili said. "My movement and my timing were not good today, and this gives more time to get it going."

Romania's Andrei Pavel also entered the round robin when Ilia Bozoljac of Serbia retired with stomach troubles as Pavel led 6-3, 1-0.

On center court at 11 a.m. today, 6-foot-6 Californian Sam Querrey will pick on somebody his own size, the equally tall Konstantinos Economidis of Greece.

At 7 p.m., Vince Spadea of Boca Raton squares off with Germany's Simon Greul. That's followed by Benjamin Becker, the German who sent Andre Agassi into retirement last year, against Kevin Kim of Newport Coast, Calif. The winners of those matches all enter the round-robin phase.

Meanwhile, University of Florida freshman Jesse Levine of Boca Raton played his way into the main draw of an ATP Tour event for the second time. Levine ran away from No. 291-ranked Michael Lammer of Switzerland in a qualifying match Sunday, 7-5, 6-0.

"I was definitely feeling a little nervous because I had never played in a stadium that big before," said Levine, ranked No. 505. "I was more focused in the second set. I don't think I missed too many serve returns."

Gator teammate Ryan Sweeting of Fort Lauderdale meets Michael Russell in the first round, probably on Tuesday. Russell has been delayed by playing in the final at a tournament in Hawaii.

In other qualifying action, Atlanta's Scoville Jenkins picked up his service-return game when it mattered to take down Frederic Niemeyer of Canada, 6- 7 (4), 7-6 (5), 6-2.

"I missed two months last year with surgery on my wrist, and I'm starting to feel a little better on the court," said Jenkins, 20.

Where: Delray Beach Tennis Center, 201 W. Atlantic Ave.

Dates: Through Sunday

Field: 32 players.

Prize money: $416,000

Directions: From I-95, go east on Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach, stadium on left

Tickets and information: (561) 330-6000

On the Web: www.YellowTennisBall.com ROUND-ROBIN GROUPS

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...lray_0129.html

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #19
country flag Kurthi

Kurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond reputeKurthi has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know if Jan-Mike will be playing in Indian Wells?

Kurthi
Kurthi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:59 AM   #20
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

He is on the alternate list for the qualie draw, but I don't think he has decided if he will go yet. The list will probably drop enough for him to get in, so he'll probably make a decision about it soon.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 AM   #21
country flag Fee

Jan-Michael is now in the entry list for qualies and is on his way to Indian Wells. I just hope he plays well once he gets there.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #22
country flag Sean.J.S.

Sean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond repute

Jan-Michael lost 6-4 6-4 to Canas. Not bad though.
Sean.J.S. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #23
country flag Fee

Jan-Michael got a wildcard to the Houston tournament. The draw will be made some time on Friday.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 AM   #24
country flag Fee

Jan-Mike will play Juan Monaco (the 8th seed) in the first round. Yike.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #25
country flag Fee

Monaco def JMG 7-5, 6-4. JMG is in the doubles draw with David Martin and it looks like they will play on Wednesday.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #26
country flag great graf

great graf is on a distinguished road

not a bad score considering jmg doesnt like clay and his lack of match play.
great graf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #27
country flag rfs1999

rfs1999 is on a distinguished road

Good that he's playing!
rfs1999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #28
country flag alfonsojose
PERSONAL JESUS

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond reputealfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

JMG

Drooling after Schuettler, Bolelli, Volandri, Starace (short haired version), ToJo, Tursunov, Alves, Davydenko, Djokovic, Petzschner, Ferrero, Simon, Qureshi
alfonsojose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #29
country flag Fee

Gambill was dealt a body blow
By LZ Granderson
Page 2

New balls please.

Those three words -- racy, if your mind is in the gutter -- anchored an ATP campaign launched back in 2000, designed to attract interest in men's tennis -- which was being overshadowed by the Williams sisters.

Classy? No. Effective? Definitely.

I stumbled across those old ads, which featured a group of up-and-coming players, a couple weeks ago. And my eyes were immediately drawn to two players in particular -- a then-18-year-old Roger Federer and one Jan-Michael Gambill, the lone American featured.

Talk about two ships passing in the night.

Since that campaign, Federer has elbowed his way amongst the all-time greats, while Gambill's gone from "the future of American tennis" -- which Pete Sampras once called him -- to the No. 668-ranked player in the world.

A career full of promise was derailed by injuries: chronic back pain, followed by severe shin splints, followed by an ailing shoulder. With each new affliction, Gambill would overcompensate when playing matches, which inevitably caused a new injury.

Few things in sports are tougher to watch than a promising athlete being betrayed by his body. We saw it with Bill Walton, Ken Griffey Jr. and Grant Hill.

No one knows if Gambill was destined for greatness. But what is clear is that he was cruelly robbed of his chance to try.

The truly ironic thing about Gambill's injuries is that, at the height of his popularity, no one in his sport appeared to have a better body to work with. At 6-3 and 200 pounds, Gambill was the Matthew McConaughey of tennis -- ripped and perpetually shirtless.

He had a contract with one of the top modeling agencies in the country. Sports Illustrated for Women included him in its swimsuit issue. And People named him to its "50 Most Beautiful" list.

But Gambill was more than just guy-candy. He was a very good player.

Utilizing a booming serve and excellent court movement, Gambill won three singles titles and five doubles titles, reaching No. 14 in the world rankings and beating some of the game's greats along the way -- including Sampras, Andre Agassi and even his "Balls" mate Federer.

Between his good looks and rapidly improving game, Gambill should've become one of the most sought-after athletes in the country. But as an old college friend once told me, potential rain don't grow no crop. And so today the 29-year-old is trying to find a place in a sport that has since moved on without him.

"I'm not bitter," Gambill says. "I have nothing to be bitter about. Tennis has been very good to me. I mean, sometimes I think about what could've been, but you can't spend too much time thinking about that because that's in the past.

"Climbing back to where I was will be difficult. I have to be able to go and grind just like I did when I first started. The question is, is my game there? I believe my game is, but at the same time I have to prove it. And it's been hard."

For sure.

This past weekend Gambill lost in the opening round of the U.S. Clay Court Tennis Championships in Houston. He also lost in the first round of his previous event. Gambill only played in three singles tournaments in 2006, and he was forced to retire due to injury in two of them.

With a game more suited for grass and hard courts, Gambill plans to skip the heart of the clay season in favor of rest and preparation. He'll also use this time to work at the Gambill Tennis Academy, which he founded with his father and coach, Chuck, in Hawaii. Since turning pro in 1996, Gambill has earned over $3.6 million, but most of that came during the good times. In tennis, if you don't win, you don't make much -- and if you don't play, you don't make anything. Between singles and doubles, Gambill's made only $11,350 this season. So his tennis academy not only allows him to pass along his knowledge, it also help pays the bills.

"The school is something I wanted to do after I got done playing," Gambill said. "I didn't think I'd be looking at the end of my career like this, but who does?

"The strange thing for me is I was going to the gym two hours a day to make sure those things didn't happen to me. But I've done a lot and have seen a lot of the world. So if this is the way it's supposed to go, then that's the way it goes."

Gambill has a lot of peace about where he is right now. But I'll always be restless at the thought of where he could be.

LZ Granderson is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and host of the ESPN360 talk show "Game Night." LZ can be reached at l_granderson@yahoo.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...nderson/070417

Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #30
country flag Fee

Jan-Michael returns to court tonight with the Houston Wranglers to play World Team Tennis. Live Scoring is available at www.wtt.com.