***2007 Australian Open Thread*** - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-07-2007, 12:57 AM   #76
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ***2007 Australian Open Thread***

Take it again, Roger~~
We'll be here pulling for you!

Hello all~~ (back for another year)
luna

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #77
country flag Bremen

Bremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond reputeBremen has a reputation beyond repute

Win this title back to back Roger!! You've never done it before but I think this year will be the one to do it!
Bremen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #78
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

GOOD LUCK ROGER IN AO~!!!!!!!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #79
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Are the court surfaces the same at all the Australian Open series tournaments? Serena Williams is playing in Hobart and she said the RA courts there are super fast.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #80
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

More from coach Roche:

Quote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...6-3162,00.html
Federer's killer instinct
January 08, 2007 12:00am

ROGER Federer has left Tony Roche with few regrets -- but there is just one, albeit minor.

It is not the fact Federer has yet to snare a French Open title, nor the fact Federer routinely steps in and out of Davis Cup.
What bothers Roche most is a moment of inspired genius five years ago in Basle, Switzerland.

Of all the sublime winners Federer has conjured in a colossal career, Roche rues the fact he was not courtside for the extraordinary, improbable shot the Swiss artist produced against Andy Roddick in 2002.

Roche, like many others, has seen countless replays of what his eyes, if not his brain, initially refused to comprehend.

Pinned deep behind the baseline, Federer had been outplayed. As Roddick surged even closer to the net to barrel a pile-driving angled smash, most of the spectators in Federer's home town could have been forgiven for thinking the point was over.

Not Federer. He leapt skywards before unleashing a laser swat that curled with the spin from outside the doubles court and through the gap Roddick was protecting under the umpire's chair.

At the start of a "rivalry" that now sits 12-1 in Federer's favour, gobsmacked Roddick could do little more than hurl his racquet at his nemesis and shake his head in despair. Little did he know of the misery yet to come.

Even now, Roche says Federer's split-second improvisation is the greatest piece of strokeplay he has ever seen.

"Geez, I've seen a lot," Roche said. "But that one I saw against Roddick was the best. Roger was virtually in the stands trying to get back a smash. I don't know how he did it, but he smashed it back for a winner. I just wish I'd been there to see it live. It's amazing. You can see it on the internet."

Roche, 61, has had the privilege of sitting in Federer's corner since 2005.

Since the birth of a part-time, handshake partnership, Federer and Roche have savoured 23 titles for a staggering win-loss record of 173-9.

Included in that harvest are five major titles, fabulous wealth and a reflected acclaim of the Swiss maestro as the greatest player in the history of tennis.

Roche, a product of Australia's long-dead golden era, was good enough to win the French Open in 1966 and, as the records famously show, once almost denied Rod Laver his second grand slam.

But of all the magicians he either played against, heard about or watched, Roche has no doubt Federer is in a league of his own. Mind-boggling is an expression Roche regularly uses to capture Federer's incomparable artistry. This from a man who took Ivan Lendl and Pat Rafter to grand slam success and the No. 1 mantle.

When Roche travelled to Shanghai in November, he came away convinced no one has ever played the game the way Federer does.

"When he played James Blake at the Masters (Tennis Masters Cup) in Shanghai, I've never seen anyone play tennis like that, ever. The score was something like love, three and four (6-0 6-3 6-4) and it could have been a lot easier. It was just the manner with which Roger played. He was hitting clean winners from ridiculous places on the court. There were times when he should have been defending on some of the big points, but he had the ability to come up with unbelievable winners, and Blake wasn't playing that bad. There was some pretty scary stuff out there."

Roche's career coincided partially with Laver's and started after that of Lew Hoad, the explosive Sydneysider old-timers say Federer most resembles, had been blighted by injury.

Federer had similarities to both men, Roche said.

"I guess Roger is the complete package," he said of the defending Australian Open champion and winner of eight of the past 12 majors.

"He has a lot of strengths and one of them is the number of options he has available. Like Rod Laver, Roger has the ability to be in a dangerous situation and then get out of it by changing things up very quickly. Lew was virtually unbeatable when he was on fire, from what I've been told, and it's the same with Roger.

"He has so much variation and so many options available to him, and then tends to choose the right option, which makes it very hard to match up.

"There are guys who do what they do very well, but the difference is that you know what to expect. With Roger, he can change it up very quickly."

Federer has lost only 15 matches in three years.

With nine majors, he sits behind only Pete Sampras (14), Roy Emerson (12), Laver (11), Bjorn Borg (11) and Bill Tilden (10).

Given an injury-free run in the next three seasons -- he is only 25 -- Federer can expect to challenge Sampras's mark sooner rather than later.

If he does, Roche has no qualms as to Federer's worthiness to sit at the top of the highest mountain.

"In a lot of ways, Roger is a throwback to guys like Laver and Ken Rosewall," he said.

"Roger has huge respect for those guys, for the old Aussies and the Australian way of doing things. I think that came from (his former coach) Peter Carter and hanging around the Aussies on tour.

"He's very much like an Aussie. He follows our cricket team and he's always asking about Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Adam Gilchrist. He has probably been watching the Test match in Sydney on television.

"In terms of tennis, he's aware of his responsibilities to the game as the world No. 1 and he has a lot of respect for what it means to be No. 1.

"You don't get to be where he is without having a killer instinct, but he carries himself like all the great champions.

"And he's always wanting to improve his game, which makes him good to work with. He's the complete package."

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:46 AM   #81
country flag refero*fervens

refero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond reputerefero*fervens has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I loved that smash-off-a-smash, and the afterwards reaction...

A killer instinct in Roger, perhaps coupled with Stockholm Syndrome from some of the victims

refero*fervens is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #82
country flag oz_boz

oz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond repute

Go Fed.

I hope the youngsters will bring it on this AO, and also that Nadal, Roddick and Davydenko make a good showing. Of course with Federer mastering it all and taking his 10th Slam with a sublime effort in the final.

I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.
oz_boz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #83
country flag Anne Cheng

Anne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Cheng has a reputation beyond repute

hello everyone,let's wish Roger a good luck in AO!

Roger lost the championship in Kooyong 2006,but he still win the AO.I believe he will be better than last year.Looking forword...
++Fabrice Santoro ++
++Tomas Berdych ++
++Marin Cilic++
Mark Knowles&Daniel Nester

Happy 2009
Anne Cheng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #84
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

It's always a pleasure to read what Tony has to say about Roger and tennis in general A man who has been around the tennisscene for such a long time really knows what he says.

Looking forward to the upcoming work of Roger and Tony
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #85
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by refero*fervens View Post
A killer instinct in Roger, perhaps coupled with Stockholm Syndrome from some of the victims

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #86
country flag t0x

t0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond repute

Woo can't wait for the AO!

I finish my exams this week & then have 4 weeks off! I get to watch the entire tourney with no interruptions

Really hoping for Fed to take home GS 10 - double figures sounds so damn good and it's about time he won AO back-to-back. Hoping for a good showing my other faves too, especially Baghdatis who I hope is able to defend a vast majority of his points from last year.

I'm really optimistic about this year... he's at 9 slams already, Sampras's record isn't that far away and he's still got a good few years ahead of him...
Federer Express Passenger #163

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~
un pour tous, tous pour un

Others: Safin - Tursunov - Gonzalez - Berdych - Ancic - Johansson - Youzhny - Cilic - Henman - Karlovic - Mahut
t0x is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #87
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

no pic of Roger today ?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #88
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0x View Post
Woo can't wait for the AO!

I finish my exams this week & then have 4 weeks off! I get to watch the entire tourney with no interruptions
I envy you... I have my graduation exam in the 2nd week of AO,, and I want to rather concentrate on the exam than AO, hopefully I can just think of the exam.

Go Roger!!

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #89
country flag SUKTUEN

HK internet is very slow~!!
I can't go to teinns.com.cn today!!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #90
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_boz View Post
Go Fed.

I hope the youngsters will bring it on this AO, and also that Nadal, Roddick and Davydenko make a good showing. Of course with Federer mastering it all and taking his 10th Slam with a sublime effort in the final.
Against Safin. They always have high-quality matches.

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote