***2007 Australian Open Thread*** - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #151
country flag Peacemaster

Peacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ***2007 Australian Open Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE View Post
Nadal has a free ride to the quarters for God's sakes! And Blake and Berdych won't even make it to their respective quartefinal and semifinal slots to even play Nadal.
I'm curious RonE. What makes you so certain that Blake and Berdych won't make it far enough to play Rafael? Do you see something I/we don't?
Peacemaster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #152
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ron on the Youzhny one. I think he is a tough one to beat, knowing how good he played against Nadal at US Open last year. Roger has played Djokovic on Rebound Ace about 4 months ago and won quite comfortablly. Of course it was Indoor and infront of Swiss crowd, and the situation is different, but,, hopefully he can pull that kind of match again if he would meet Djoko.

Go Roger!

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #153
country flag Peacemaster

Peacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond reputePeacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens Point View Post
I agree with Ron on the Youzhny one. I think he is a tough one to beat, knowing how good he played against Nadal at US Open last year.

Go Roger!
But Mischa is 0 - 7 against Roger...
Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #154
country flag Stevens Point

Stevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond reputeStevens Point has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemaster View Post
But Mischa is 0 - 7 against Roger...
I know. Roddick was 1-11 prior to Shanghai, and he had how many match points against Roger??

Actually anyone can be tough at anytime..

good luck RF!!

my latest blog entry: a woman in a male locker room.. hello?? , Updated: January 6th 2009
Stevens Point is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #155
country flag TenHound

TenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond reputeTenHound has a reputation beyond repute

Ron, thanks for bring some reality to the discussion. I vomited when I read the early remarks. Anyone who calls the AO script by it's ancient form, a draw, has to make a case for why they'd revert to a discarded form, when the script format/ the semi-random draw used in the 2 most recent Majors would be abandoned when it's proven so "successful". Before blatherin on about that you might check out today's NYT article on Int'l Mobsters Group & Teddy Forstman who bought it just to make as much money from it as possible. It mentions he makes a particular killing on endorsements from tennis players... go read it before making a fool of yourself.

All I have to add to Ron's observations is that beyond getting a skate to the quarters, Thugs doesn't even appear to have a semi as it's been written that both Davyd & Nalby are injured... I was waiting to see if they'd give him JJ followed by semi v. AR, to set up AR-RF final...but clearly they're still gunning for Roger...

That said, the AO is a particular crapshoot since season just beginning & w/no off-season ...
TenHound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #156
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm curious RonE. What makes you so certain that Blake and Berdych won't make it far enough to play Rafael? Do you see something I/we don't?
1.) Blake will be coming off his final (win or lose) in Sydney having played Moya will play him again. Moya leads their H2H series and all round on this surface especially over a best of five set match I would give Moya the advantage.
Then for arguments sake lets say he beats Moya he could get Luczak in the 2nd round which is no gimme either, Ginepri in the third round and possibly Hewitt in the 4th round who is always tough for Blake and has worn him out many times in the past.

2.) Berdych is way too up and down I won't even go into breaking down his possible route- he has never reached the quarters of a GS let alone a semi. He has to deal with the likes of Tursunov, Davydenko and Nalbandian (if fit) but even so he could just as well randomly lose to anyone on any given day.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #157
country flag Peacemaster

Quote:
1.) Blake will be coming off his final (win or lose) in Sydney having played Moya will play him again. Moya leads their H2H series and all round on this surface especially over a best of five set match I would give Moya the advantage.
Then for arguments sake lets say he beats Moya he could get Luczak in the 2nd round which is no gimme either, Ginepri in the third round and possibly Hewitt in the 4th round who is always tough for Blake and has worn him out many times in the past.

2.) Berdych is way too up and down I won't even go into breaking down his possible route- he has never reached the quarters of a GS let alone a semi. He has to deal with the likes of Tursunov, Davydenko and Nalbandian (if fit) but even so he could just as well randomly lose to anyone on any given day.

I see. Your points are well taken. But, it's not exactly certain that they won't make it. A lot will depend on their and their opponents' forms on the given days.

Let me put it this way. I agree that the draw may turn into a cakewalk for Rafael if the results of other matches go his way. Then again, if they don't, it may be a nightmare route for him with a sample from Blake, Berdych, Nalbandian, Malisse, Hewitt, Gonzalez and Co. to deal with.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #158
country flag ytben

ytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad draw for Roger, well I am a bit bummed that both Baggy and Richi is in his quarter, I want these two to make it far in the tourney but not at Roger's expense hehehe. I am looking forward to their possible third round meeting though.

Ah can't wait for some live tennis on my tv again

Good luck Roger, defend your title champ!
Federer Express proud passenger seat #23

Good luck to Federer and Gasquet. Long live beautiful tennis!
ytben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #159
country flag t0x

t0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond repute

Hrmmm not a bad draw for Federer, but at the same time, it's not a bad draw for Nadal (Kendrick may cause problems if Nadal's still injured).

Was really hoping for another Fed v Roddick final, but typically he's in Fed's half!
Federer Express Passenger #163

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~
un pour tous, tous pour un

Others: Safin - Tursunov - Gonzalez - Berdych - Ancic - Johansson - Youzhny - Cilic - Henman - Karlovic - Mahut
t0x is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #160
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No cakewalk???? This an absolutely horseshit draw, Nadal has a free ride to the quarters for God's sakes! And Blake and Berdych won't even make it to their respective quartefinal and semifinal slots to even play Nadal.

OTOH, Roger has to deal with Youzhny in R3, Djokovic in R4, Gasquet/Baggy in QF and then of course there is Marat/Andy looming (my guess it will be Marat!) in the semis.

And of course the swine with the cupcake draw waiting for him in the final
What's with all the pessimissm with regards to Roger and Nadal cruising? You say there's no chance Blake or Berdych will make it far enough to play Nadal, yet you're already predicting who Roger will play all the way to the SF. How do you know Youzhny will make it to R3 and Djokovic to R4? And Gasquet and Baggy were just beaten by Moya for gods sake. So to put either one in the QF already makes no sense to me.

Nadal hasn't been in a final since Wimbledon. He hasn't had a ton of match practice and certainly isn't in the best form. Kendrick took 2 sets off him at Wimbledon where many felt he was playing better there than he did the rest of the year. I know people will say but that was on grass or he won't repeat it. But I know several people here who also said Youzhny would crumble in the USO QF once he realised who was across the net. And after Nadal lost to Johansson in Stockholm the predictions here were that he'd make the final in Madrid.

I dunno maybe it's reverse psychology - picking Nadal to have an easy time of it or get the draw to break his way in the hopes that the opposite happens. But to assume all of Roger's potential dangers will get to him and be in form and give him trouble yet Nadal's will never make it to him or if they do it won't matter is a bit too much for me.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #161
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see. Your points are well taken. But, it's not exactly certain that they won't make it. A lot will depend on their and their opponents' forms on the given days.

Let me put it this way. I agree that the draw may turn into a cakewalk for Rafael if the results of other matches go his way. Then again, if they don't, it may be a nightmare route for him with a sample from Blake, Berdych, Nalbandian, Malisse, Hewitt, Gonzalez and Co. to deal with.
But you could say this about any player. In my opinion this is a fair draw which could be difficult for both Roger and Nadal if the seeds advance or could be much easier if certain seeds drop out early.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #162
country flag mays

mays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond reputemays has a reputation beyond repute

well once i again.. i cant get myself to call the draw fair..

round 1 and 2 shouldnt be so bad.. but after that its a very tough draw.. youhzny is hard competition.. (even though i did watch a couple of his matches in doha, and he completely crumbled infront of ljubo)

ferrero is never easy.. if he plays like he played in cincy he could give anybody a run for their money. massu and djokovic arent a happy thought either.gasquet and baggy are also tough... and anyone in the semis in hard.

as for nadals half.. kendrick first round
funny enough i can see many people in his quarter taking him out.. murray for one, blake, hewitt
and in the semis if malisse gets there maybe he can pull of another chenai.. soderling, haas (maybe) berdych, tursunov, davydenko..
he does have an easier ride in the earlier rounds then rog.. but to be fair it isnt as dispicable as the draws before.. its closer to balanced than anything ive seen so far..
mays is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #163
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

I'd rather have Roger's R1 opponent than Kendrick.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #164
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Blake has not exhausted himself in Sydney so far and won his encounters rather easily. The Sydney final will show, if Blake is in good form, or if Moyá indeed lives through his 2nd spring, which I doubt, honestly. I do expect Blake in the QF.

As for Roger, I somehow feel the most difficult match of the tourney might turn out to be Djokovic, given that he has no (real) health problems.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #165
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
As for Roger, I somehow feel the most difficult match of the tourney might turn out to be Djokovic, given that he has no (real) health problems.
Could be though Roger didn't really have problems with him at DC.