Guga's articles - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-11-2004, 11:51 PM   #46
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guga's articles

From tennisweek http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennis...&bannerregion=

Guga Not Rushing Rehab

By Richard Pagliaro
11/10/2004

A second arthroscopic hip surgery hasn't stopped Gustavo Kuerten from tournament play — but this tournament features splashes instead of shots and Guga has been watching rather than playing.

The three-time Roland Garros champion took time off from his ongoing physical therapy to take the recent Surfing World Championships Tournament in his hometown of Florianopolis, Brazil.

An avid surfer and fan of the sport, Kuerten chatted with his favorite surfer, Kelly Slater, and witnessed Andy Irons win his third WCT title.

"It is great to see all the best surfers in the world, here in my city," Kuerten said.

The Brazilian beach was a long way from the training table in Pittsburgh where Kuerten has been spending time rehabbing his hip. The former No. 1 underwent arthroscopic surgery on his hip on September 21st at the Center of Sports Medicine in Pittsburgh. Bone spurs blocking Kuerten's hip movement were removed and the anterior capsule of the hip was tightened to strengthen the joint’s stability. Dr. Marc Philippon, a member of the surgical team that conducted the procedure, prescribed a rehab program that could span four to six months.

"The surgery was successful. We were able to remove all the injuries that were causing pain and blocking the movement," said Dr. Philippon.

Since the surgery, Kuerten has been splitting time between Philippon's Pittsburgh rehab center and his Florianopolis home. Late last month, Kuerten began walking without crutches and has recently increased his regiment of walking though he cannot run yet.

"I spend some weeks here and some weeks in the States, and everything is going fine," Kuerten said. "Once I got off the crutches, about 10 days ago, and started walking again I have been feeling much better. I am able to walk for some hours but I am still not running."

Kuerten is currently entering phase two of a three-phase rehab program for Kuerten. Phase one featured rest and light exercise to permit the tissues around the joint to heal. In the second phase, Guga will engage in a more rigorous, supervised exercise program in an effort to strengthen and stabilize the muscles around the hip. The third phase of rehab will prepare Kuerten for a return to competition.

Magnus Norman, Kuerten's opponent in the 2000 Roland Garros final, recently retired after spending recent years struggling with hip problems. While Norman's hip injury is thought to be more severe than Kuerten's, Guga is proceeding with caution and does not want to rush the rehab process and risk re-injury.

"I am not gonna rush anything. The doctors are happy with my progress, but it is a slow process," Kuerten said. "I am putting all my efforts into the rehab but I am also enjoying my time with my family and girlfriend (Leticia), and seeing some life outside the tennis tour, enjoying the trips without the rush of the tournaments. It is hard to put any dates or time to be competing again, but I will be back next year, very motivated and I should be ready and in shape to play Roland Garros and even the tournaments before."

When he's not relaxing watching surfers ride the waves, Kuerten spends some time surfing the 'Net. Guga was one of the first prominent players to recognize the power of a personal web site to reach tennis fans. Kuerten has maintained his official web site Guga.com since 1997 with the current format in place since 2000 and characterizes his official site as a "crucial" source of communication with his fans.

"I think it is something that has become very important," Kuerten told Tennis Week in a recent email interview. "Through the web site all the fans can be well informed of where I am, how I am playing, what I am doing when I am not competing, etc., and they can be sure it is official news, not rumors. Then, I get involved directly on recording some messages to the fans and giving ideas such as when I have to be off the tour for some weeks, to show how my physical therapy treatment was going to be like."

Kuerten has undergone two hip procedures in the past two and a half years.

On May 26th, 2002, Kuerten underwent arthroscopic hip surgery in Nashville and returned to tournament tennis two months later. Though he went on to win his first career title in Brazil on hard court in September of 2002, the man many players regard as the premier clay-court player of his generation has not surpassed the quarterfinals in nine Grand Slam events since his surgery. He has won three tournament titles — Auckland and St. Petersburg last year and his second career Costa Do Sauipe championship this year — in the past two years and was runner-up to Lleyton Hewitt in the 2003 Indian Wells final.

His best Grand Slam result since his initial surgery came last spring when the charismatic Kuerten beat top-ranked Roger Federer en route to the Roland Garros quarterfinals where he suffered a
2-6, 6-3, 4-6, 6-7(6) setback to David Nalbandian. In the aftermath of that match, Kuerten conceded he was not 100 percent healthy.

The gregarious Guga will be home throughout the rest of November, spending time with his family and friends, celebrating the birth of his niece Larissa (his brother Rafael’s daughter born last week) and his grandmother Olga Schloesser's 83rd birthday, before returning to Pittsburgh in December for more rehab. He plans to maintain his connection with fans through Guga.com.

"I really hope they have fun and that they can get a real idea of myself, of what I am doing, of my activities and that they can feel close to me," Kuerten told Tennis Week.

Last edited by Lee : 11-11-2004 at 11:55 PM.
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 12:26 AM   #47
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the article LEE!!!!
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:54 AM   #48
country flag brazuca5copas

brazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Lee !!!!!!!
brazuca5copas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #49
country flag sol

sol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lee!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ujo/Noel37.gif

->Support the Fabrice "The Magic" Santoro Forum Request<-

sol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #50
country flag amethyst

amethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond repute

Great article, thanks Lee I´m glad Guga enjoys his rehab time
Old 11-13-2004, 09:49 PM   #51
country flag Cris

Cris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond reputeCris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the article, Lee!
Old 11-26-2004, 11:52 PM   #52

brazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond repute

Institute of Guga announces awarding winners
26/11/2004 às 15h33
Florianópolis (SC) -
The Institute Guga Kuerten announces to 20h of tuesday, in
party in the FIESC of Florianópolis, the winners of 2° Prize IGK, the
Great Social Play. They will be awardees best in the categories the
journalism, athlete, clubs and FAPS. The winners will divide R$ 12.000,00
The prize was created with the objective to show that people and
organizations, by means of responsible actions, can collaborate for
the improvement of the society. Presentations are programmed for the
ceremony that integrate the projects of the Institute.
Established in August of 2000, the Institute Guga Kuerten acts in the
areas of Special Education and Social Integration of People with
Necessities and Sport as Strategy of Integral Development of Children
and Adolescents. More than 10.000 people already had been
benefited by the entity, presided over for Alice Kuerten, mother of
Guga.
The brazilian tennis player received in March the Humanitarian
Trophy from the ATP, for his works is of squares them, in the institute
that takes his name.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:39 AM   #53
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

nice... thanks brazuca
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:01 AM   #54
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute

Rogi Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - J. C. Ferrero

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #55
country flag amethyst

amethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond repute

Guga met today the president of Brazil (article from terra.com.br, babelfish translation). I posted some pics in the picture thread.

Guga recepciona Lula and gives raquete as gift

The tenista Gustavo Kuerten met for the first time, in this friday, with president Luiz Inácio Da Silva, in Florianópolis. The tricampeão of Roland Garros recepcionou him in the arrival to the catarinense capital, in the Hercílio Airport Light. Guga presenteou Lula with one of his raquetes and gave to another one for the grandson of president, João Gabriel, born in day 20 of November, in Santa Catarina.
"Lula gave a left footprint, but he cannot play very much, he has to take care of of the shoulder and to make fisioterapia, as me", Guga said. Tenista number one of Brazil still is in phase of recovery of a surgery in the hip and said that the visit of the president is an incentive for his return to the court. "It´s a gold chance that I had, to know the president together with my family. For me it symbolizes sufficiently this phase of recovery I am in", said the tenista. "For me this meeting is an incentive more in the recovery. Lula is a fighter and needed much perseverance to arrive where he is".

Last edited by amethyst : 12-03-2004 at 07:48 PM.
amethyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:50 PM   #56

Thanks Amethyst !!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:59 PM   #57

Guga receives prizes for "attitudes" off court.
09/12/2004 às 17h30
Pittsburgh (EUA) - Known for his charisma on the professional circuit, Gustavo
Kuerten one more time was awardee for his attitudes. In election of
the ATP, that pointed the 10 better moments of tennis players off court
and that they had contributed for the spreading of the sport in
2004, the Brazilian received two mentions.
One of them was the trainings of a boat for that it made with the
Argentine Guillermo Coria, in beach Monte Carlo. The trick happened in
April and was in sixth place in the listing of the ATP. Another
moment, that was in tenth place, happened little before the olimpycs game,
when the tennis player loaded the torch in Rio De Janeiro.
The election of the ATP is part of the Stars Program, where the
players participate of activities with the public or the media. Always
for where it passes, Guga is one of the most requested for the
organizators to be star of interviews or activities. During the ATP
of Auckland, for example, he made a panoramic flight for the city and
was until Piha Beach to attend the world-wide championship of surfe,
one of his passions.
In ATP of Viña del Mar, was attraction of tv show and gave clinic for poor children.
In Brazil Open, participated of historical meeting with Maria Esther Bueno.
In the Masters Series Miami, it received the trophy "Humanitarian from the ATP", in central court of the Crandon Park. Already in Barcelona, he gained the prize "Note 10", of the press, he found with Ronaldinho Gaucho and he play guitar in the dinner of the Players.
Other important moments of Guga in 2004 had happened in Roland Garros,
with the "Trophy Orange", of more simpatic player. In as the semester,
exactly having competed little, he play guitar in the dinner of the
tennis players in the Masters Series Cincinnati, had a series of meeting
with the media in the US Open and did photos with Gaston Gaudio
in the Paulista Avenue, during the Challenge Brazil x Argentina.
"I thing that this only let me more motivated and happy, with
more will still to follow working in the reabilitation to come back to
play. E means what I represent for the world-wide tennis ", said one
livened up Guga from Pittsburgh, in the United States, where it is
evaluated, for the doctor Marc Philippon, who operated it of the hip
in day 21 of September.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:24 AM   #58
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute

thanks! awesome article, Guga's great as always

Rogi Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - J. C. Ferrero

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #59
country flag amethyst

An article from tennisweek.com about Nastas and CBT

Brazilian Federation President Bounced From Office

By Tennis Week
12/09/2004

The Brazilian Tennis Federation board of directors was bounced from office by a judge in Brazil who found financial improprieties. The Brazilian court removed former Federation president Nelson Nastas from his post and replaced him with Sergio de Carvalho, who owns tennis academies in the country.

Former Federation president Nastas has been charged with embezzling about $41,000 allocated to the Federation from the Brazilian government and using the money for his personal interests.

Nastas has been under fire since March when several top Brazilian pros, including three-time Roland Garros champion Gustavo Kuerten, publicly campaigned against the corruption within his administration. Chaos and controversy surrounded the federation as Kuerten, Flavio Saretta and Andre Sa led a collection of players who refused to represent Brazil in its Americas Zone Group I Davis Cup tie against Paraguay April 9-11th in Bahia, Brazil as a protest against Nestas' administration and the Federation's failure to develop young players and give current team members a greater voice in Davis Cup decisions.

"But for Brazilian tennis and the future players, I had to choose this way seeing that the current administration has made little effort to develop tennis and help the young players," Kuerten said in March. "When we win, we players are praised. When we lose, as we did against Canada last year, we take the blame, not the federation."

As part of an investigation into the Federation's reported financial irregularities, Federal police raided Federation offices in Sao Paulo and seized documents. After Jorge Lacerda, president of the Santa Catarina state federation, called for officials to launch impeachment proceedings, Nastas announced he would resign and said the Federation would stage a new election and allow the Brazilian players to select the coaching staff for its Davis Cup tie. However, the president reneged on that promise and remained in office.

Nastas, whose term was set to expire on December 31st, is now out of office and new elections for the open seats on the board will be held.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:25 PM   #60

Thank's a lot !!!!