Multilingual players - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-08-2003, 07:30 AM   #61
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Multilingual players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88

The way French-Canadians speak and the way French speak are completely different! They sound different and they use different words... sometimes I can hardly understand a Quebecois speak French.
A friend of mine is a French-Canadian from Quebec who travelled to France, he said that the French used in Quebec is old French. Basically, French in France keeps growing and new words, phrases, etc are added to the language. I guess it's the same for all languages. If you open an English dictionary, whether it's Oxford from Britain or Webster from US, there are lots of new words added every year.

Chinese is even more complicate than Spanish. My hubby's family and mine are from same province in China and are from neighbouring counties but I can hardly understand what my in-laws speak.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2003, 12:44 PM   #62
propi

propi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multilingual players

actually dialects in Spanish can be tricky, there're sometimes that I hardly understand what an Andalusian is talking, not because of the vocabulary but the stress, entonnation and so on....
The dialect that is allegedly spoken where I live happens to be one of the funniest for people
BTW talking about funny things I could laugh a lot when meeting a Polish who had been living in Granada for a year, his Spanish was perfect but had such a strong Grananda accent

There's already a Spanish thread but it's dying painfully
Old 12-08-2003, 12:47 PM   #63
propi

propi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=329221
^Spanish thread ^
Old 12-08-2003, 12:59 PM   #64
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that whole discussion. It was very interesting.

I knew a woman from Mexico who had a roommate from Peru in college. They decided to speak english to one another because their different ways of speaking spanish irritated one another so much. I only got one side of the story, but the Mexican woman felt that the woman from Peru didn't like the way she spoke Spanish. Byt that, I mean she felt the Peruvian woman was looking down at her.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:40 PM   #65
country flag Catsou

Catsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond reputeCatsou has a reputation beyond repute

After reading that thread I decide to point out few things about a topic some people discussed here...The french spoken in Québec and in France. Got to add Ilhame was absolutly right...you go girl!

First of all the language is the same...absolutly the same it's like english from the States and the one from England....of course there is different idioms, accents and so on...but come on don't say the people from Québec speak the old french *rolleyes* C'mon give me a break it's like saying the French in Paris speak fran-glish because they are using a lot of anglicism ......this is stupid!

It is the same language: same grammar, same orthograph, same words....If people from Québec are using a old french so how come there is so much foreigner students in all the University in Québec.....They are coming to study in Montréal...to learn from teatchers speaking the old french with students they don't understand because they are using a old language?????? C'mon

A friend of mine had a class for her master programm...half of the students in that class were from France..(they were studing at LA SORBONNE, but were in Montréal for 2 semesters). Guess what the teatcher, who was also from France, did not accept half of the papers from that class saying there french writting was not enough good for a master class........guess who was those students: all the Frenchs....I don't want to say here that all the French don't know how to write there language...(Relax French people on the board It is just a exemple to point out that if the french-canadian doesn't speak the same language like some of you said or speak the old french how come there papers were not given back to them because of the poor quality of it?

Again will you say that New Yorkers doesn't speak english anymore because they sound different than the English ? Of course there accents are different and they used different idioms....but can someone say New Yorkers doesn't speak english, or they speak a new or a old english..it's still the same language....I spent a summer in Queens (New York) and trust me some of my friends from England had a difficult time understanding the New Yorkers at first......but it was the same language LOL

This is a very wrong idea to think because some country adjust the language, using new words, new idioms, with different accents that it is no longer the same language....it's like saying Catalan is not a language but a dialect...Sometimes when people doesn't know about something or when something is different from what they are used to they tend to have wrong idea about it and what disturb me is they will say it in a forum like this one thinking they are right!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #66
country flag undomiele

undomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Multilingual players

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisLurker
here the "ll" like in "Guillermo" or "calle" (calle means street) is pronounced sh (like in she). and the Y (when it is not supposed to be pronounced like the vowel i ) is also pronounced sh like in Yunque "anvil".

We say Guishermo, Cashe, and shunque.
And the sound of the sh is harsh, not soft.
Many foreigners do not like it, the constant SHHHH
oH WHATEVER tennislurker!!! You know not everybody in Buenos Aires and Argentina uses the sssh in "yo" or "calle".... the truth is there's a pretty hefty contingent of Argentines who use zh in "yo" rather than shhh (like in she). Everybody in my neighborhood (Belgrano) hated hearing the sshhh and would correct the people who used it. I don't like it much myself to be honest. Im a ZHH Argentine!
undomiele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #67
country flag undomiele

undomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88
Ilhame!

Someone can tell me who besides the Argentinos pronounce the "ll" as "zhe" [hard to spell out] as in Guillermo... do the Mexicans also pronounce it that way?? Or "yo" as "jo".
The Uruguayans. Yeah mexicans and most south americans pronounce don't use the "zhe".. they use the y sound from "yellow" as someone else here already pointed out I think
Old 12-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #68
country flag TennisLurker

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute

How is the ZHH supposed to sound?
And I live 20 blocks from Belgrano, I went to school there and all the people used the shhhhh sound for ll and y.

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

NICOLAS ALMAGRO IS AN EXOTIC BEAUTY
TennisLurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:03 PM   #69
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

scottish is difficult to understand

I think they speak almost the same English as other countries, but the pronunciation is so hard to follow. It took me ages to finally be able to follow David Coulthard's interviews

I don't remember who disagreed with me about french in France and in Canada, but I've lived in France and that's where I learned the language. I've seen many Canadians on tv and all I detected was a different accent. I assume they're not really into verlan as the french
I learned some of it from friends
Je suis une meuf

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:09 PM   #70
country flag undomiele

Im not criticizing you at all. I find this very amusing in fact ... I know plenty of people in Belgrano who use el "ssho" instead of "zzho" for "yo". It must be a barrio thing I dont know cos I notice that people from Barrio Norte (the north side of the city of Buenos Aires) always use "zho"... Oh and when I said we corrected people who used "sho" I meant my friends and I not everybody in Belgrano (C). Sorry!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:25 PM   #71
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Multilingual players

Quote:
Originally Posted by undomiele
The Uruguayans. Yeah mexicans and most south americans pronounce don't use the "zhe".. they use the y sound from "yellow" as someone else here already pointed out I think
Gracias! That makes sense as Uruguay is just N of Argentina.
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:21 AM   #72
country flag Ma. Estefania

Ma. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisLurker
Many foreigners do not like it, the constant SHHHH
I like it.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:47 AM   #73
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

I think we can add Irakli Labadze to this list. He speaks English, German, Russian and Georgian.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:54 AM   #74
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how I missed this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilhame
scottish is difficult to understand

I think they speak almost the same English as other countries, but the pronunciation is so hard to follow. It took me ages to finally be able to follow David Coulthard's interviews
My bro used to work for 2 Scots. They are from different part of Scotland with HUGE, different accents and they had difficulty understand each other.

Quote:
I don't remember who disagreed with me about french in France and in Canada, but I've lived in France and that's where I learned the language. I've seen many Canadians on tv and all I detected was a different accent. I assume they're not really into verlan as the french
I learned some of it from friends
Je suis une meuf
I know a few French Canadians and some of them visited France. What they said was the French used in Canada is sort of old French. The French language keeps evolving in France but not much in Canada. I think it's more or less the same like English in North America or in Australia is slightly different from Britain.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:01 AM   #75
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Don't know how I missed this thread
My bro used to work for 2 Scots. They are from different part of Scotland with HUGE, different accents and they had difficulty understand each other.

I know a few French Canadians and some of them visited France. What they said was the French used in Canada is sort of old French. The French language keeps evolving in France but not much in Canada. I think it's more or less the same like English in North America or in Australia is slightly different from Britain.
That is very true about people from Scotland, especially in Edinburgh the accent is a lot softer and it comes across as a little bit snobby, whereas Glasgow can be hard to understand for people not used to it.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote