Multilingual players - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-07-2003, 09:44 PM   #46
country flag TennisLurker

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multilingual players

The main difference is (el voceo) and (el tuteo)

In Argentina if you want to say "you are an idiot" you say

Vos sos un idiota

in Spain (I think) you say

Tu eres un idiota

But I can perfectly understand spanish (from a spaniard) or spanish spoken by a mexican, and they can understand spanish spoken by an argentinean too perfectly.

The people who may have problems understanding that difference are foreigners who studied spanish and only know one way of saying "you are an idiot".

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

NICOLAS ALMAGRO IS AN EXOTIC BEAUTY
TennisLurker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 10:06 PM   #47
country flag undomiele

undomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond reputeundomiele has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt say spanish ppl would all understand eachother *perfectly*. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have the craziest accents for me and with words like "pushiar" instead of "empujar" and lots of words that are based on the local indian language I often feel I don't understand them *perfectly*... Dialects in Latin AMerica can be really different.
undomiele is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #48
country flag michelleg

michelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. When I lived in SLP in Mexico, we used empujar/to push. Mexican Spanish also uses the ud. form for tu instead of the vos favored by SAM dialects.

Puerto Rican Spanish is by far more difficult to understand given the tendency to deslizar/drop letters or lateralize the "r." The joke in Mexico (where I lived) was that Puerto Ricans didn't speak Spanish. When I came back to the US, everyone laughed because they said I sounded too Mexican, that I picked up the whine to the "t."

I can understand porteno (sorry, for lack of keyboard options, no tildes or accents for you purists) very well and find it to be a lovely dialect. Castellano, for lack of exposure to it, is by far the most difficult for me to understand.
michelleg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:57 PM   #49
propi

propi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond reputepropi has a reputation beyond repute

I had funny times talking to Mexicans and Colombians, of course we can understand each other, but yet there're expresions that are too different (clearest example coger ), plus in some countries they tend to mix both Spanish and English so it gets Spanglish, for me that's harder to understand when they speak only in Spanish or English.
BTW I don't think Castellano in Spain is the most difficult to understand but it's the one I've been talking all my life to doesn't count, but probably it's the least influenced by American English.
Anyway I love all ways of speaking Spanish they only make Spanish richer (too bad it's not widely spoken in menstennisforums )
Old 12-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #50
country flag michelleg

michelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond reputemichelleg has a reputation beyond repute

Spanglish, the official language of Miami-Dade? That I understand completely! LOL.

I have also been dying to take some classes in Catalan, but can't seem to find much offered around these parts. Anyone ever see a "Catalan for Dummies" book in their travels??

I had the wonderful chance to take a Spanish Dialectology class while in uni...it was a fabulous chance to understand the nuances of the language and the linguistic differences in each of the numerous dialects throughout the world.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:28 AM   #51
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

I don't imagine that the difference between Spanish dialects is all that different from the difference between English dialects? British English is quite different from what I speak, which is different from what somebody in the deep south might speak. Our accents and phrases may differ, but we can understand people just fine.... usually

Same difference, no?

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:32 AM   #52

TennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond reputeTennisLurker has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the grammar is the same, saying argentinean and mexican spanish is like saying british and american english.

Good luck to:

Gaudio, Murray, Florian Mayer, Chela, Nalbandian, Radek Stepanek, Volandri, Youzhny and Verdasco.

Old 12-08-2003, 12:46 AM   #53
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Multilingual players

Quote:
Originally Posted by propi
I had funny times talking to Mexicans and Colombians, of course we can understand each other, but yet there're expresions that are too different (clearest example coger ), plus in some countries they tend to mix both Spanish and English so it gets Spanglish, for me that's harder to understand when they speak only in Spanish or English.
BTW I don't think Castellano in Spain is the most difficult to understand but it's the one I've been talking all my life to doesn't count, but probably it's the least influenced by American English.
Anyway I love all ways of speaking Spanish they only make Spanish richer (too bad it's not widely spoken in menstennisforums )
Yes, true! Spanish is a fascinating language! I love it!

Maybe you s start a Spanish thread... I think there's one for Russian in WTA.
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:50 AM   #54
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Multilingual players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilhame
I heard there is a difference between Spanish spoken in Spain and spanish spoken in South America. I have friends who have lived in both and they said that there was a difference. The accent in Mexico for example made it more difficult for them to be understood in Mexico and for them to understand what the mexicans say.

I actually don't see any difference in the way french and canadians speak. There's different accents for sure, but they're almost similar IMO.
Ilhame!

The way French-Canadians speak and the way French speak are completely different! They sound different and they use different words... sometimes I can hardly understand a Quebecois speak French.

Someone can tell me who besides the Argentinos pronounce the "ll" as "zhe" [hard to spell out] as in Guillermo... do the Mexicans also pronounce it that way?? Or "yo" as "jo".
Old 12-08-2003, 12:53 AM   #55
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: Multilingual players

Fascinating thread this, revealing the linguistic complexities and skills of people all over the world and on this forum...

Um, I got an A in French at GCSE, but I'm not sure how.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:54 AM   #56
country flag RogiFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleg
Spanglish, the official language of Miami-Dade? That I understand completely! LOL.

I have also been dying to take some classes in Catalan, but can't seem to find much offered around these parts. Anyone ever see a "Catalan for Dummies" book in their travels??

I had the wonderful chance to take a Spanish Dialectology class while in uni...it was a fabulous chance to understand the nuances of the language and the linguistic differences in each of the numerous dialects throughout the world.
Yeah, I'd like to know where I can learn Catalan... ever since I went to Barcelona I am intrigued by this language!! It's cool!! Reminds me of a combo of French, Spanish, w some Italian thrown in and perhaps Portuguese!! Loved it when Alex spoke Catalan in his speech at RG01 Final ceremony...
Old 12-08-2003, 01:06 AM   #57
country flag michelleg

As with many countries, pronunciation can vary throughout Mexico, but generally speaking, the "ll" is not pronounced as "zh," but as the "y" in the English word "yellow."
Old 12-08-2003, 02:03 AM   #58
country flag Ma. Estefania

Ma. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond reputeMa. Estefania has a reputation beyond repute

LOL....it's so funny seeing people talking about languages and pronunciations.

I think Spanish is just like another languages, in different parts it has some variations as in expressions or accents (by example: in México you can hear about "chavas", in Argentina about "nenas, pibas", in Chile about "pololas", in Venezuela maybe about "catiras", in Ecuador about "peladas", etc, etc....and we all will be refering in one way or another to "girls").

Anyway, apart from that, it's not a big deal, we all can understand what we're trying to say!

ˇViva el espańol! Je je.

Last edited by Ma. Estefania : 12-08-2003 at 02:08 AM.
Ma. Estefania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:15 AM   #59

here the "ll" like in "Guillermo" or "calle" (calle means street) is pronounced sh (like in she). and the Y (when it is not supposed to be pronounced like the vowel i ) is also pronounced sh like in Yunque "anvil".

We say Guishermo, Cashe, and shunque.
And the sound of the sh is harsh, not soft.
Many foreigners do not like it, the constant SHHHH

Good luck to:

Old 12-08-2003, 02:51 AM   #60
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

Even in English dialects can be difficult to understand. I recently saw the Scottish movie "Sweet Sixteen" (GREAT flick btw), and even though it was in English (at a U.S. movie theater) it was subtitled! Good thing, too, because the brogues and slang were very hard to decipher.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote