How many Grand Slam singles titles will Richard Gasquet win? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How many Grand Slam titles will Richard Gasquet win?

None, cause he is all show and no go 132 36.57%
One, if Johansson, Gaudio and Costa can do it, why not Richie 81 22.44%
Two 36 9.97%
Three 20 5.54%
Four 11 3.05%
Five 5 1.39%
Six to Ten 11 3.05%
Ten to Fifteen 4 1.11%
He will lose to Xristos in the final 28 7.76%
He will win more than Sampras, Borg and Federer combined 33 9.14%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many Grand Slam singles titles will Richard Gasquet win?

Yes, this is a poll and I apologise for this, but there is a huge amount of hype about Gasquet being some future multi GS winner.

He hits great shots, has a beautiful backhand and for some aesthetically pleasing, but that isn't always good enough to bring home the GS titles, is it? It's not like the French have not had stylish and talented all surface players before Gasquet and after Noah and they haven't been able to do the job on the biggest stage.

This Gasquet who was the child prodigy on the cover of French tennis magazine at 9.

Then he was the 15 year old whiz kid qualifying for Monte Carlo defeating Squillari and Davydenko.

After this he was hyped to the moon and back, then he got injured and was forgotten about, then he became a has been and then in 2005 when he beats Federer then his bandwagon grew massive steam and was only 2nd to Nadal in the 2005 biggest bandwagon.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 12-25-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
country flag FSRteam

FSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond reputeFSRteam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many Grand Slam singles titles will Richard Gasquet win?

The boy is unpredictable on the court so will his grand slam titles be!

richard can play every shot and I believe he might be the next federer or maybe will never win one slam but I'll go with 4 to be sure!

Once fed is out of the picture and nadal too worn out, he should be right there on top of the game!!!
FSRteam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

Zero. Nice player to watch at times, that is all.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Zero. Nice player to watch at times, that is all.
Good to see some sense

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
country flag jayjay

jayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond reputejayjay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Good to see some sense
I'll happily wager with anyone that JMDP will win more Slams than Gasquet. I'm pretty confident JMDP will only have to pick up one to make it a winner.

Nothing against Gasquet, but he's just not all that some make him out to be. He might pick up a Masters title here and there, that I can see, but not a Slam.
jayjay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

between 0 and 1

he might grab one Wimby if Federer and Oscar Hernandez dont play

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I'll happily wager with anyone that JMDP will win more Slams than Gasquet. I'm pretty confident JMDP will only have to pick up one to make it a winner.

Nothing against Gasquet, but he's just not all that some make him out to be. He might pick up a Masters title here and there, that I can see, but not a Slam.
Seriously I remember when Tommy Haas was so overhyped to win Slams and he was this superstar kid and was going to do the business as a senior and it never came through for him. Haashole had some very bad luck as well, at the same time there was a 3 year period for him to win some GS events, but didn't do it.

Winning a Masters event well I'd expect him to do that, but I don't think he will win a Slam, let alone be a multi GS winner.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

He will get a fluke win in RG when he's about 30 years old.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
country flag Klaas_nalbandian

Klaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond repute

allez richard win 3

Escude-Kuerten
Dutch players

Gasquet-Ferrero-Lopez-Mathieu

Nadal-Acasuso-Haas-Youzhny-Berdych-Gonzalez-Tursunov

Söderling-Del Potro-Bellucci-Lapentti-Roddick-Verdasco
Klaas_nalbandian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
country flag richie21

richie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond repute

3 or 4 ,i would say.....but it could well be none unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
between 0 and 1

he might grab one Wimby if Federer and Oscar Hernandez dont play
as good as he is,Federer won t win 3 slams every year(so there 'll probably be at least 2 slams there for taking for the other players) ......i think he knows that himself very well.
there will obviously come a time where other players will challenge him more seriously and above all,where he himself won t play as well as now(for example,will he be as motivated as he is now if he breaks Pete's record?? that's a question.....)

Quote:
Seriously I remember when Tommy Haas was so overhyped to win Slams and he was this superstar kid and was going to do the business as a senior and it never came through for him. Haashole had some very bad luck as well, at the same time there was a 3 year period for him to win some GS events, but didn't do it.
did Tommy Haas beat the number one(and Gasquet didn t beat the worst number one in history to say the least!) at 18?? no.
the way i see it, you don t beat the number one(especially such a number one) at 18(i repeat ,at 18!) if you aren t a special player.

also, at Gasquet's current age(20 years and 6 months),Haas hadn t won any title and made any MS final........while Gasquet has already won 4 titles and made 2 MS finals(both lost against Federer).....so let's compare what is comparable.

Gasquet ,i reckon, is perhaps a bit overrhyped but that is also due to the exceptionnal career he had at junior level.....i mean ,few players in the history have been as precocious as him,at least until they turned pro (when he was a child,he used to beat players who were 2 or 3 years older than him)
i'm fully aware that to have a great career a junior level doesn t necessarly mean you'll have the same success in the ATP tour(though you'll note that most of the players who became the junior world champions recently have achieved good things in the ATP tour :Federer,Roddick,even Baghdatis) but Gasquet didn t just have a great career at junior level ,he had a wonderful one(especially in term of precocity).....that 's the difference.

Last edited by richie21 : 12-25-2006 at 11:04 PM.
richie21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

He has the misfortune of living in the era of, particularly, Federer, and Nadal; they have won the last 7 grand slams between them. He will probably be another player with a single grand slam win. In reality Gasquet, Berdych, Djokovic, Murray, Baghdatis and Del Potro may each win 1 or 2 grand slams each, but I do not think any of them will win more than 2 grand slams.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie21 View Post
Gasquet ,i reckon, is perhaps a bit overrhyped but that is also due to the exceptionnal career he had at junior level.....i mean ,few players in the history have been as precocious as him,at least until they turned pro (when he was a child,he used to beat players who were 2 or 3 years older than him)
i'm fully aware that to have a great career a junior level doesn t necessarly mean you'll have the same success in the ATP tour(though you'll note that most of the players who became the junior world champions recently have achieved good things in the ATP tour :Federer,Roddick,even Baghdatis) but Gasquet didn t have a great career at junior level ,he had a wonderful one(especially in term of precocity).....that 's the difference.
Agreed.

In reality he is of similar ability and potential as Berdych, Baghdatis, Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro. I see none in the group able to dominate the other players; none have anywhere near the ability of a Federer.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie21 View Post
did Tommy Haas beat the number one(and Gasquet didn t beat the worst number one in history to say the least!) at 18?? no.
the way i see it, you don t beat the number one(especially such a number one) at 18(i repeat ,at 18!) if you aren t a special player..
How much propaganda are you going to spout? Berdych defeated Federer at 18, Nadal defeated Federer at 17. To use that flawed logic then Berdych must be just as special as well.

There are many top juniors who never kicked on to be great players in the seniors would you like names Zabaleta, Stoltenberg, Di Pasquale and the list goes on and on.

Haas has actually reached QFs at Slam level at least. Then again you must have started watching tennis in the last 2 years or so. Next Becker and Stich were fading out and the Germans needed new heroes Haas and Kiefer, just like France needs a new hero instead of producing solid players between 20-50 in the rankings and not winning Slams and guess who has the overhype.

Using your logic this means Gasquet is going to be better Federer cause he had more early success than he did.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1

Last edited by Action Jackson : 12-25-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
country flag richie21

richie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond reputerichie21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How much propaganda are you going to spout? Berdych defeated Federer at 18, Nadal defeated Federer at 17. To use that flawed logic then Berdych must be just as special as well..
well note that i didn t say he wasn t special......

Quote:
Using your logic this means Gasquet is going to be better Federer cause he had more early success than he did.
i never said that.
it's not about logic,it's just that i think that a guy who has had such an exceptionnal career at junior level (especially in term of precocity.....the guy became the junior world champion at 15 years old!)is almost destined to have at least a very good if not a great career in the ATP tour.....that's all i'm saying.
richie21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #15
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

inconsistent at the moment, but he has a lot of talent and t would be a shame if he didnt win at least one. but he will max out at 3, tops.
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote