Guga walks out on Brasil DC Team - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guga walks out on Brasil DC Team

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to558685.shtml

Guga quits Brazil

Upset over the sudden change in captain, Gustavo Kuerten on Tuesday announced that he would forego Brazil's upcoming Davis Cup tie against Paraguay. In a statement, the former world number one added that the current administration at the Brazilian federation (CBT) "is doing little to develop tennis and help players."

"I have the Davis [Cup] in my blood and I'm sad not to play this time," Kuerten added pointing that he's played for his country in every fixture since 1996, barring one in 2002 when he was injured.

Guga expressed his displeasure over the sudden replacement at the end of February of Davis Cup captain Ricardo Acioly by Jaime Oncins:

"We consider that the timing is totally unappropriate," he had said at the time adding that he wished that the players had been consulted.

Kuerten, who issued his statement before flying to California to take part in the Indian Wells Masters, also pointed that Brazilian players weren't being consulted regarding home venues for the Davis Cup.

Brazil face Paraguay April 9-11in an American Zone fixture in Costa do Sauipe in the Bahia region of the northeast of the country.
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

I post this in Guga's Forum but yes, it worths to discuss in GM.

Guga has been upset with CBT for many years (as you can see how many top 50 players from Brasil compare with Argentina) and this sudden change of DC captain is the last straw.

He had openly criticised CBT (which was quite out of character for Guga) at the beginning of Brasil Open 2004 and looked like CBT has done nothing to placate or communicate the country's greatest tennis player. The good thing I read from the news is he said he would not play next DC tie but did not say never.
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guga walks out on Brasil DC Team

Hmm. This is not a good thing. In fact, with Kuerten, Brazil has quite a strong team. Now, they are not worthy of the highest division at all. What makes me wonder, is whether Gustavo would have supported Jaime Oncins, a respected former player, if the replacement had been discussed, or whether he would do everything to prevent Oncins from being the team captain.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Guga will support Oncins. He played doubles with Jaime in DC ties before.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Also, there's the rumor that the country's #2 and #3 players, Saretta (rank 46) and Mello (132) may boycott the coming DC tie too.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #6
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all that was said. If the players had a say in this, then no problem. Since they didn't....problem....
sigmagirl91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

The change of captain was not exactly sudden. When the team play DC last September vs Canada, the team had a meeting with current president of CBT. Unfortunately, the suggestions by tennis players and Ricardo Acioly were not welcome by the president Nelson Nastas. Nastas insisted he considered Acioly not doing a good job as captain before the tie but I think players believe the firing is a retailiation and warning.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:52 PM   #8
country flag amethyst

amethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond reputeamethyst has a reputation beyond repute

Guga had a good relationsship with Oncins (they played doubles together for a very long time and he always names him as one of his idols) so I guess he would have supported Oncins as team captain if he had been asked in advance. But I really wonder what their relationsship is now after all this fuss.
amethyst is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #9
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

I really feel sorry for Jaime Oncins, he is caught at the crossfire between players and Nelson Nastas.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #10
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, clearly there are additional details on this matter that the general public is not privy to, as Guga is generally not one to make moutains out of mole hills. Hopefully Guga and the other players can successfully pressure the institution to reform its methods of operation.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:18 AM   #11
country flag Leo

Leo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond repute

Play for your nation, Guga, and forget about the Brazilian tennis federation!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #12
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys!
Hhhhmmm now the Brazil team definitely lost its key player...

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - Grigor Dimitrov

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #13
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

It is confirmed Brasil's #2 player, Flavio Saretta will not play in the upcoming DC tie vs Paraguay.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #14
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond reputeSantorofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest

Neither will Andre Sa...the Brazilan Tennis Federation is now further in chaos as it's new appointed captain Oncins has stepped down in response.

Perhaps something good will resinate from all of this???
Old 03-11-2004, 12:37 AM   #15
country flag Leo

Leo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond reputeLeo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what madness! Oncins must feel like crap, the poor guy.