In which decade did you start watching tennis and how you became a fan? - Page 29 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: In which decade did you start watching tennis?

In the 70ies? 54 7.32%
In the 80ies? 139 18.83%
In the 90ies? 286 38.75%
Since 2000 and later? 259 35.09%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #421
country flag bjurra

bjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond reputebjurra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In which decade did you start watching tennis and how you became a fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
1936. I'll never forget Don Budge cheating Jack Crawford and the Australians out of the International Lawn Tennis Challenge title.
And then it took you another 75 years to join MTF? Shame on you.
bjurra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #422
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In which decade did you start watching tennis and how you became a fan?

It took me a long time to get over it.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #423
country flag zimzum12

zimzum12 is on a distinguished road

First match that left something for me was AO 1998 when countrymen Karol Kucera won against Sampras. It was a huge match for me back then when I was 8 and it was a main reason why i also started playing tennis ( and then switched to table tennis). I cannot remember specific slam for these years, but i remember great Davis Cup matches Slovakia played against Sweden and Russia. Kucera and Hrbaty were great duo especially Hrbaty foughted like a lion in Davis Cup matches. First slam which i really remember well was Wimbledon 2001, noticed how Federer defeated Sampras and Ivanisevic road to the title. That time i wanted Ivanisevic to win it i was almost crying when he done it, now when i know how dumb he really was i will root for Rafter.
TV coverage and internet expansion next years meant that i starded watching tennis regularly even more not just slams.
zimzum12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #424
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

In the mid/late 70s, when I as a little girl, there was a Mexican player who was top 10 in both singles and doubles: Raul Ramirez. So Mexican TV started broadcasting more tennis matches. It was the Connors/Vilas/Borg era. I started watching ever since.

For personal reasons, and due to the big servers almost killing the game (in my opinion), I stopped watching tennis for a few years starting in the late 90s. Federer brought me back to the game.

I don't think I'll ever stop watching tennis: the most fascinating sport.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #425
country flag Timot

Timot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond reputeTimot has a reputation beyond repute

I started at late 90's, though I had some brakes since then. I remember Rafter was the first guy I supported and was unhappy when he lost his chance for AO 2001 when Agassi dismantled him in the semis.
Timot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #426
country flag Lodger Federer

Lodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond reputeLodger Federer has a reputation beyond repute

In 2008 during the Olympics, but it was pretty much limited to rooting for James Blake (since he was the only American to make it far). I became a fan of tennis during the Australian Open the following year, which is when I discovered and started lurking this site...
Lodger Federer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #427
country flag DDRickyDD

DDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond reputeDDRickyDD has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 2001 when Barry Cowan took two sets off Pete Sampras. It was an incredible performance from young Barry, who played some shots out of this world.

Cowan was the main reason I became interested in the sport.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #428
country flag NadalPhan

NadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond repute

Sometime in 1998.
NadalPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #429
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

My earliest exposures to tennis was in the late 90's because of my mom, and one of my earliest memories as a spectator was Safin's effort in the 1998 RG.

But it was in 2001 that I really started to follow the sport, in large part thanks to Roddick and his rise that year.

How I came to play the sport is more interesting. My mom showed me Safin's gf in the crowd at AO one year and said, "This is what tennis gets you."
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #430
country flag NadalPhan

NadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond reputeNadalPhan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
How I came to play the sport is more interesting. My mom showed me Safin's gf in the crowd at AO one year and said, "This is what tennis gets you."
lol, your mom sounds pretty cool.
NadalPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #431
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post

Epic mom
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #432
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

at sampras era, when my cable tv was installed

kids didnt have much lessons, there was no internet and i lived in a big house in a district that was buing built, so didnt have friends there, so switching channels was the best thing to do after school

and there was tennis, meligeni-henman. i remember i was the most surprised why they call "out" when the ball is clearly in (i had no clue of doubles corridor)

but i became a fan a few days later when i saw rios on tv i think when someone saw his peak game, its understandable why one would become fan

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #433
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRickyDD View Post
Wimbledon 2001 when Barry Cowan took two sets off Pete Sampras. It was an incredible performance from young Barry, who played some shots out of this world.

Cowan was the main reason I became interested in the sport.
And the main reason why so many mute buttons have been needing restored.

Great performance from Cowan, listening to music at the change of ends and all. I used to enjoy listening to him too, different story now.

His service action was very similar to Greg Rusedski's and not just because he was left-handed.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #434
country flag petar_pan

petar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond reputepetar_pan has a reputation beyond repute

In the mid 90's.
petar_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #435
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first match I properly watched was the 2001 Stockholm final Nieminen-Schalken. Then, in 2003 I had a chance to play tennis myself, and my interest in tennis started to grow. RG 2005 was the first GS where I watched SFs & F properly. I knew Federer is the best player in the World and heard Nadal is a good young clay courter. I started to cheer for Roger, probably just because his playing is aesthetically more pleasing. And I don't know why I just didn't like Nadal, in the final I was cheering for Puerta. Had I known Puerta is a doper, that would've probably been the only match where I would've cheered for Rafa.

Well, after RG '05, AO '06 was the next televised tournament televised on free-to-air channels. I watched some matches and of course the final, where I was cheering for Baggy. And that year, after following both RG and SW19, I really became a tennis fan, and in recent years it's become my favourite sport.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote