Thread for all NICOLAS KIEFER supporters - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-13-2004, 04:33 AM   #211
country flag EHendrick

EHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread for all NICOLAS KIEFER supporters

thanks, I just wanted some opinions.
EHendrick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #212
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Nicolas juggling with a few rackets

yeah, Kiwi!

for the archive and for the sake of this thread some GettyImages pics of the CanadaTMS and Cincinnati TMS

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 08-15-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #213
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Kiefer will now play Voltchkov. That's tricky opponent who can play quite well, especially for his country, just check out his Davis Cup record)

but still, I would say, it's a solvable task for Nicolas....

Quote:
Labadze withdraws, replaced by Voltchkov
Irakli Labadze (GEO) has withdrawn from the Tennis Event due to a wrist injury.

He is replaced in the men's singles draw by Vladimir Voltchkov (BLR), who will face No. 14 seed Nicolas Kiefer in the first round.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 08-13-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:29 PM   #214
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, Neely!

Here's a new pic of Kiwi practicing for the Olympics.

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:04 PM   #215
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
But still I also like calling him by his true name Nicolas, last year when I was at Halle I shouted to him a few times "good luck, Nicolas" and not "good luck, Kiwi" when I saw him walking around before one of his matches. But if you use his first name and not his nickname, be careful to pronounce it the French way, spoken "Nicola", and neglect the 's'
WOW! I never knew that's how you pronounced his name! I always said "nicolas"... Thanks for the info!
knight_ley is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:40 AM   #216
country flag EHendrick

EHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond reputeEHendrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the pics, tangy and neely. very good ones.
I was thinking how it would be so awful if by some chance he made it to the semi-finals only to meet Roddick again. But then I remembered that both semifinal losers can play for bronze! I am trying to keep my hopes down so I'm not disappointed, but I would love for him to go far here. It seems to mean a lot to him. with a little luck...
Old 08-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #217
country flag Neely
-

Kiefer will play his 1st round match on court 5, the 2nd match of the day.
Before his match there is a women's match scheduled starting at 10:00 so I think he should start playing between 11 and 12:00 o'clock.

Hopefully he is fit and his cold doesn't affect him too much anymore...

later on the same day, it looks like Rainer and Kiwi will play their first doubles match on the same court, #5, against the Rumanian team.
It's scheduled to start not before 17:00 o'clock.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #218
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

GOOD LUCK KIEFER!!!!! I cannot wait till he starts tomorrow! I just hope they show him at least once here in the States....
Old 08-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #219
country flag EHendrick

"MIRROR ON-LINE ONE: The more "Frankfurter general Zeitung" called you in that time more "Sportler with the worst image in Deutschland". How did you create it that you are judged now many more positively? Kiefer: I became looser openly and. In addition I co-operate now with a medium advisor - there I make no secret from it. Some expression from at that time I would not make today no more. MIRROR ON-LINE ONE: For example? Kiefer: Oh, at that time there were things, to those I somehow clean-slipped. Everything did not go so fast, there knew I at all, what happens. But such errors happen. I am now 27 years old and from it learned."

This was a translation of a new article up at the official site. I was wondering, does anyone know why his image was bad in the past? just curious...
Old 08-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #220
country flag Neely
-

well, this topic could probably fill many pages... for most people, Kiefer's bad image was existent since right of the beginning of his career, but at the beginning he could overshadow most of it with wins and good results.
Kiefer is a person who is very -I don't know the correct translation, but I think the English word that matches it best is- reclusive. I would not say shy or quiet, but he can be difficult to approach and he prefers to be alone and completely seal off himself from the rest. To many people he is just a miracle and he was saying many times that only his best friends and his family know how he really is ("If you know me closely, you have no problems with me at all"). Something like that can be easily misinterpreted by many people.
Also keep in mind that Kiefer while playing a tennis match and his behaviour on-court is quite contradictive to what he is in private life. He can make it quite easy for not so well-informed spectators who don't know jackshit about his personality or about his backgrounds to hate him: he is breaking rackets, his is abusing balls, he is swearing, he is rudely arguing with the refs/linespersons, he doesn't mind getting the crowd against his side, he shows no interest, he may be a bad loser from time to time... now you could probably say that most of these things listed were equally true for Boris Becker who was almost the whole nation's darling and yes, you are right, but despite Becker's tempter in his matches, he had the sort of humour and charisma to make people forgive him more and he had the best successes early in his career on his side; something that definitely helped him because it's less likely that a winner guy who was one of the best German athletes at this time has such a bad image like it was reputed on Kiefer. Kiefer, on the other hand, IMO was never somebody who had a good contact with the media and he was never somebody who knew how to sell himself the best way possible when talking to the media. Becker wasn't a very eloquent guy either (he often almost stattered, was searching for words, or used many filling words like "äh"), but he understood well how to relax the atmosphere of an interview, he was good for fun or for some funny remarks.

Well, as you see in all that written above, combined with the missing achievements in his career after 2000, Kiefer made it easy and offered quite a lot of working surface for all his haters, doubters and maybe even neutral people.

I will list you, in my opinion, the most important factors why Kiwi was for many people somebody with a bad image, or as the newspaper said it in 2001, why he was titulated as "the athlete with the worst image in Germany":

- he has the reputation to be "advice-resistent", meaning he tends to not accepting advices from people who want to tell him something good
- had a catfight and heavy quarrel with Boris Becker as Becker was captain of the Davis Cup team
- he left the Mercedes Benz Junior Team for young promising German tennis talents which was founded by Becker and which was interpreted as a personal insult to Becker
- he got blown off the court by Becker in 1999 at Wimbledon in straight sets and didn't give enough credit to Becker's play; something that is not very clever and that created many enemies among the German people and media
- throughout his career he changed his coaches and managers like other people change their daily shirt; this only aggravated and confirmed people who thought he is untouchable for advices and that it's almost impossible to coach him or to work together with him
- in his bad years, he had many bad losses, many lethargic and pathetic matches
- he was not enough self-critical with his own game and his person, he often blamed other things, he often blandished bad matches, he did not admit enough mistakes
- he didn't scrutinize/question his being as a tennis pro on the tour closely enough; he used to hang around on the Tour some years without the impression and without people letting know that he wants to get out of this hole.
- for some time he didn't show interest in the Davis Cup at all, for most people of course unacceptable
- he withdraw from the Davis Cup ties in 1999/2000 against Romania and the Netherlands, something what was against heavily critizised in public, he almost completely broke up with the German tennis federation at that time, due to that unpatriotic behaviour he was close to be disqualified for the Olympic Games 2000.
- he did not only lose many (important) Davis Cup matches, but he lost most matches in a pathetic way, something that is your death if you're playing for a success-spoiled country like Germany that was once used to the great success of Becker, Stich, Kühnen, Steeb etc.... not having 100% support on your side in Davis Cup is sort of the worst thing that can happen to you; he couldn't persuade people he was at least trying even when losing and he failed to regain lost bonus
- most of the points mentioned above, esp. the handling of the media and saying some stupid things

you see, it's quite a big patchwork of reasons (and I'm sure I forgot some points) that contributed to give him a bad image, but with the way the current year is going, I think that he is on a very good way to neutralize most of these points with good news about him and if you're watching a Kiefer match in 2004, you most likely see a different player playing tennis than some years ago. The turning point clearly came at the end of 2003, with his new coach, Thomas Hogstedt. Somehow Hogstedt must have found a way to directly address and tell Kiefer what he is doing wrong and even more importantly, Kiefer accepts him and realised that his coach is right.

For me, he is a very good person with a good heart and exciting tennis I'm supporting him since many years and even though I had almost completely cut down all my expectations because of his drought of success in the years 2001, 2002 and 2003, he has recently given me great hope that he can still be sussessful tennis player who has not unlearnt how to win and his many good matches and results this year so far are a kind of reward he is giving to me and lots of other fans for supporting him even in bad times

okay, go on Kiwi!!!

Last edited by Neely : 08-14-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #221
country flag EHendrick

don't have time to read your post yet, neely, as there are live matches going on, but had to come here to say
KIWI!! You have achieved your goal of not exiting 1st round!! Now please set a higher one!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #222
country flag EHendrick

Wow. I daresay, this makes him quite an interesting personality and more three-dimensional in my mind. It makes me like him even more and realize what a great year he's had, knowing about his past. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that! I am thinking I should learn some German, because it's so awesome that he updates his site himself!! I think it's great that he does this and I want so much to be able to understand what he writes. And it must be so cool to have been a fan and witnessed the comeback!!! I am pretty new to tennis, so as with all my favorite tennis players, I wish I had been a fan earlier.

Kiwi
Old 08-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #223
country flag Neely
-

Kiefer completely dominated Voltchkov in his 1st round match at the Olympic games!

Kiefer def. Voltchkov 6-2 6-4

some people might say now that Voltchkov is just hanging around on the tour, but he can be quite dangerous and has alreay upset lots of good players and he has a very good record in Davis Cup playing for his country with 34-17.

And Kiefer trailed the h2h 0-2 against him and never won a set, so a straight set win now over such an opponent, plus doing it better than back in 2000, is quite an improvement for him

go on Kiwi!!! have no mercy with Baghdatis in the next round

Old 08-15-2004, 04:47 PM   #224
country flag Neely
-

from the official Athens homepage:

Men's Singles : Nicolas KIEFER (GER) 15 Aug. 2004

Quote:
ATHENS, 15 August - Comments from Nicolas KIEFER (GER) after defeating Vladimir VOLTCHKOV (BLR) 6-2, 6-4.

Nicolas KIEFER (GER)

On the match:

"I had a good serve and a good return. The conditions were not the best, because of the air and the humidity, but I'm very satisfied and I hope that my win will help the other German players psychologically."

On having to play Doubles in the afternoon:

"I don't mind because that way I'll have tomorrow as a day off."

ONS mm/sub

Old 08-15-2004, 08:22 PM   #225
country flag sol

sol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond reputesol has a reputation beyond repute

Go Kiwi Congrats
Thanks for the news, Neely!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ujo/Noel37.gif

->Support the Fabrice "The Magic" Santoro Forum Request<-

sol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote