Je suis désolé, mais AIDE!!! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Je suis désolé, mais AIDE!!!

I apologize it is in anglais but heh, I just wanted to ask u guys a few questions as most of you are from France:

They are all bout SNCF: (u dont have to answe them all!)

1. What do you think about it

2. Are the fares and timetables the same throughout the country

3. Thoughts on TGV

4. Customer service at SNCF

5. What are the trains like

6. Is it reliable and always on time

7. How safe is it

8. Who pays for the rail

9. Any other thoughts???

MERCI BEAUCOUP!!!!!!!

Iguana, Biscuit, Pim Pim, the ledge that is Rafter! and my new love Nole!

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
and proud to be a morgette & mattiholic!!!
Suzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
country flag Saumon

Saumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond reputeSaumon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Je suis désolé, mais AIDE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I apologize it is in anglais but heh, I just wanted to ask u guys a few questions as most of you are from France:

depends, I don't like it when my train is late. the "carte 12/25" is cool (when you're between 12 and 25 yo, you can pay for a card and you can have discounts -25% or -50%. but there are not always those cheaper tix... I dunno how to explain it, can someone help me? )
depends on the trip you're taking, the type of train etc...
3. Thoughts on TGV
it's fast! it's ok as long as you don't have too long legs and it's not fast everywhere because there are not special TGV rails everywhere

most of the trains are pretty modern except some "Transiliens" that are old. (the trains in Paris and it's suburbs)
not always... if they are more than 30 (or maybe 60, I can't remember ) minutes late you send them a letter and they send you a voucher (not sure it's the right word)
7. How safe is it
it's safe
8. Who pays for the rail
the SNCF is a national company so I guess it belongs to the state
9. Any other thoughts???
why do you want to know all these things?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know because im doing a presentation on privatised rail (the UK) and state-run (France) and thanks for your input

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
Old 11-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
country flag Alx
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Alx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond repute

It's the most safely way to travel in France. If you buy your tickets a long time before your trip, you've got some discounts.

I think the fares are the same everywhere in France, you pay according to the number of kms of your run. The timetables are different for each region.

3. Thoughts on TGV
I only take the TGV once and it's very fast (300 kms per hour). It's very good but for a few weeks, there's some breakdown, I don't know why.

No comment

The TGV and mostly of the trains look good but sometimes, there's some old trains.

It's reliable (not a lot of breakdown) but not always on time

7. How safe is it
It's safe, there's rarely some accident except when someone decide to commit suicide in stoping his car on the level crossing (I reassure you, that don't happens often and in this case, the train don't derail)

8. Who pays for the rail

9. Any other thoughts???

Nicolas Massu

Fernando Gonzalez

Vince "move your butt" Spadea Les ptits potes Victor Hanescu

Alx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
country flag Suzi

Whats wrong with the customer service

Old 11-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
country flag Yasmine

Yasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take a few minutes to answer Suzi I've lived in both countries and am surely able to see differences (and I dare to hope dream that french rail will never go private )

For Breast Cancer, please click here once a day
Yasmine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
country flag Yasmine

Yasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond reputeYasmine has a reputation beyond repute

pretty good service, most of the territory is covered

it depends on the routes, some are more frequent than others

3. Thoughts on TGV
great! between Perpignan and Paris, there are a few TGVs a day and although it's a 5hours trip people rather take it than the plane

never personnally had a problem with ordering/receiving or anything, at the train stations or online.

usually in good state

most of the time and if they're late you're entitled to get some of the price of your fare back...

7. How safe is it
the safest way of travelling I think

8. Who pays for the rail
I'm not sure but it must be the tax payer

9. Any other thoughts???
I think french rail is much more efficient, is cheaper and better service than the UK one, having lived there a few years I can compare. Have you ever travelled on Central lines Suzi between Stansted airport and Birmingham? I used to do it quite a lot and the trains were not only in a poor state (let alone if during the 2h30 trip you needed the toilets -better make yourself wait I tell you this ) but packed because only small trains when lots of people travelled on it. And I've noticed that on other lines as well... But some compagnies were much better than that, with trains ontime, trains in better state etc (Midland Mainline was pretty good from what I remember). But I suppose that's the problem of privatisation...

Anyway I hope it helps

Last edited by Yasmine : 11-16-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
country flag Yasmine

And Suzi, no need to apologise, if we can help that's no problem

Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
country flag Yasmine

Suzi thanks for your rep, I must say I even took the train in Morroco and I thought the service was better there than in the UK although they do need to increase the network...

Old 11-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
country flag Suzi

they have got slightly better but still

Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
country flag Damita
Burned-out Safin fan

Damita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond repute

They're too often on strike not that it is only workers from the SNCF, other sectors of activities do the same, but it really is annoying when you're a commuter and have to go everyday to Paris to work/study and that a strike occures during a period of exams at school for instance

For the TGV i guess timetables vary from a region to another.
As for the RER and the Transsilien (suburban trains in Paris like gab said) it varies too depending on the line.
For instance when I wait for a train in Paris to go home, there are trains every 4 or 5 minutes. They follow the same rails for quite a while, then the line splits into 3. One of them lead to a "rich" city and they have trains every 5 minutes. Of course all of them are half empty
While for my area there are trains only every 10 minutes although the population of all the cities around has exploded in the 20 past years, with a lot of youngsters (my city stayed for long in the top 5 of French cities with the youngest population - 75% of people were under 25yo), that makes a lot of people going everyday to Paris or other suburbs to study...
So not only do we have to wait longer, but also the trains are overcrowded and sometimes you just feel like banging your head against the wall until it explodes and frees you from hell (that is if you have enough space to move and are thus able to bang your head )
The politicians here tried for years to obttain more trains for us and reduce trains for the other area, but since the other area is "wealthy" the local politicians there did everything so that nothing would change, and they influenced the SNCF officials for long and the schedule wasn't modified. (it finally happended this year )

3. Thoughts on TGV
Fast, not too expensive, cool special tickets to get discounts (like the 12-25 card that Gab mentionned)

Wait, you mean there IS one?

TGVs are good.
Suburban trains are... it depends. Some are very old, slow. Some are modern, with air conditionning, light colors inside...

NO
TGVs maybe, probably.
Suburban trains no. At least once a week there's something happening: trains are late, or cancelled, or suddelny stop in the middle of nowhere and you're stuck there for 10 minutes

7. How safe is it
I think it is. It's one of the good point compared to privatised rails

8. Who pays for the rail
I think customers pay a part through tax on tickets. Maybe the State pays a part too

9. Any other thoughts???
nope

My Tennis Pics updated after Roland Garros 2009 - 8 new albums
Damita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
country flag Suzi

What is so wrong witht the customer service.....??? sorry to nag lol

Old 11-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
country flag Alx
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Alx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond repute

For exemple, when there's is a strike, the customer service is incapable of giving some informations to the customers (how much trains run, when there's going to have a train...)
People who sell the tickets in the railway stations are not quick. There's always a long queue in front of the ticket booth.

Nicolas Massu

Fernando Gonzalez

Vince "move your butt" Spadea Les ptits potes Victor Hanescu

Alx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
country flag Damita
Burned-out Safin fan

Damita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond reputeDamita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx View Post
For exemple, when there's is a strike, the customer service is incapable of giving some informations to the customers (how much trains run, when there's going to have a train...)
People who sell the tickets in the railway stations are not quick. There's always a long queue in front of the ticket booth.
Yes, and in general it's even the contrary, they adopt some "I'll try not be seen by them" attitude.

Once I was in a TGV between Perpignan and Paris and there was a strike. Our tickets were for a non-smoking wagon. But it was a mess, and wagong had been tied altogether randomly, and our wagon ended being a smoking one. Since everything was a mess, people got on the train even though they were not in their wagons.
And some started smoking in ours. Some ppl asked if they could stopped (it was summer, very hot, 6 hrs in a train, just awful). But smokers said they didn't care, they paid for a smoking wagon, it was written on their tickets, and even though they were not in the good wagon (regarding the number) it was a smoking one so they could smoke.
Then some people who, like me, where in the good wagon (still regarding numbers) said even though the sign in the wagon said smoking was allowed, it was not supposed to be since we had paid for a non-smoking one.
But smokers just didn't care (i hate smokers in France. French ppl
tend to think the law nere applies to them, they're beyond the rules... and most smokers don't give a f*ck about non-smokers' health )

Anyway, during the 6 hours some SNCF workers went in our wagon a few times to give people water bottles (not enough, not fresh at all... but at least it was a good thing for the elderly and people with young kids), and everytime they were asked to do something about the smoking problem, they were just "hmmm, later, later, i'l have to go give water in other wagons" or "wait a minute, i'll be back"...
The problem has never been solved because none of them dared say what shall be done, what was usually done in similar circumstance.
We spent 6 hours (instead of 5 because due to the strike the train had to stop in more stations cuz other trains had been cancelled there) in a deep fog. My clothes and hair smelt tobacco so much

And when we finally arrived in Paris, no SNCF worker was to be seen of course People were soooooo pissed

My Tennis Pics updated after Roland Garros 2009 - 8 new albums
Damita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #15
country flag Yasmine

gosh Steph how many times I did that Paris-Perpignan trip in TGV (and believe me it was a return a couple of times a month at some point before the summer) and I never ever had a single problem with it (not even late once )