Tennis Tipping 2009 Rules Thread (out of date - use 2013 Rules) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #31
country flag balloon

balloon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Tipping Rules and Changes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumoll View Post
I think there should be set ratios like on wta in this game but only if there are 8 matches or less if more no set ratios and one TB in TT on wtaworld is working really well and

no no no!
set ratios sucks!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
balloon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #32
country flag balloon

balloon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond reputeballoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life View Post
Why shouldn't they be able to send them in? If one person can't be at the computer then why can't their partner put in picks? Especially if the round is over one day. I mean what would you want? For your partner to have the same picks or different picks as you? Don't see the problem.

how can we confirm that your partner is ur real life friend who can call you or text you to tell u what his/her picks are

judging based on the flag is rubbish
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #33
country flag Taz Warrior

Taz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond reputeTaz Warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
I'm not quite sure what this thread will achieve, everyone is going to have different opinions. I would say the TT board should decide what they feel is best and leave it at that. Not everyone will be satisfied but it's impossible to please everyone.

The idea that only permanent partners can qualify for the TMC is insane by the way, there's hardly any people that play with the same partner every week. And those using the point that "TT tries to be as realistic as professional tennis"....don't feed me that bullshit, because most of you voted against bringing in the RR like professional tennis is.
This thread is being used to float around some ideas and give players the opportunity to express their opinions which we will take on board. Also, some of these issues will go to a poll and it's useful for people to hear the arguments for and against a proposal before voting. The Board have also been discussing these points over the past few days and we have come up with suggestions to all these points which we will be putting forward over the next week to see what everyone thinks.
We want TT to be as realistic as possible but I don't think we should blindly follow ATP on everything as some of the ATP rules aren't relevant to TT
Taz Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #34
country flag gaynor

gaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond reputegaynor has a reputation beyond repute

- Entry system - I think it should be purely ranking based, with an entry list drawn up maybe a week before the tournament, commitments should be open about 2 or 3 weeks before, as this gives all players enough time to commit.
- Draw sizes - The same as ATP, except with byes, where the numbers in IS tournaments should be rounded up to 64. Although we should stick with the byes in TMSs.
- Ranking system - I think it's good as it is now.
- Qualifying for the 2007 doubles TMC- Keep it as it is now
- Davis Cup system - Not too sure but I like the idea of only one team per country, with a team captain deciding the team. Would players represent the country they actually live in, or that on their flag, as many players don't play under where they actually live. Also people often change their flags, so not too sure
- The use of TB's and CB's - I think CB should be used whenever possible, but in the first round of a tourny we should have maybe 3 TBs, but only in the first round. The order would then go CB, Cb from previous round, TB1 from Round 1, TB2 from round1
- Round Robin format - I think we should give it a go in Adelaide, but if it proves unsuccessful, and inefficent we should abolish it. It seems to be working well for TMC, but not sure how it will fare in normal IS tournaments.
- Losing by ranking - hopefully enough TBs will abolish this, but it should realyy be a very last resort
- SE's - Don't need them, as it is possible for players to be in 2 tournies at once, unlike ATP. and we don't need WC either
- LL system - Only for first round, W/O in future rounds
- Late picks - Should be counted for any match that hasn't started, even if just one point has been played
- Challengers (who can play them?) - I would
- Counting the retired matches - i like the idea of only if at least one set has been completed
- Can players send in picks for their partners in doubles? - no, if the player doesn't send in picks, the team can only go with one person's score.
gaynor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #35
country flag yemok

yemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond reputeyemok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Skywalker View Post
Yep , its fair the CB to decide and then TB

I agree! It's not reasonable to lose a match only because of (nothing else but) the luck of your opponent to pick first set 6:3 and not 6:4, like you. I think it's more important the overall performance in the tournament than the lottery of the TB, so better let's go back on CB's till possible and then compare the TB of the day!

p.s. this opinion is not caused by my doubles-loss today with 52:50 on TB 1 :Q
PAW race rank 26 (29) :: results
Winner /Houston/ :: Final /Gstaad/ :: SF /Paris/ :: QF /Hamburg, Toronto, Tokyo, Lyon, Chennai, Auckland/
Suicide Tennis rank 9 (8) :: results
Winner /Dubai, Bangkok/ :: Final /Barcelona, Basel/
yemok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #36
country flag guille&tati4life

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloon View Post
how can we confirm that your partner is ur real life friend who can call you or text you to tell u what his/her picks are

judging based on the flag is rubbish
We can't confirm that your partner gave you the picks. But does it matter too much if they couldn't send in picks anyway? .
Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #37
country flag balloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life View Post
We can't confirm that your partner gave you the picks. But does it matter too much if they couldn't send in picks anyway? .

it only means that u r playing on ONE person's pick
Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 AM   #38
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Losing by rankings is a disgrace I'd rather have more TBs than by losing in such a cheap way.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #39
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

regular partners for doubles TMC qualification is bollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #40
country flag Tankman

Tankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond reputeTankman has a reputation beyond repute

I think most issues have been quite comprehensively covered, so I won't go into them...

What I do take issue with is counting retired matches; i'm pretty sure that the aim of this game is to predict results of tennis matches, not freak accidents/injury aggravations/cramping etc. etc... that would be a completely different (and much more sadistic) game altogether. I'm strongly of the opinion that we don't count retirements at all; how are we supposed to predict that a player will somehow pull a muscle or break a leg or collapse with fatigue... sure you can take their health, fitness... however, this is a really grey area, and discounts freak accidents that often befall players (like Clijsters in AO)

Most importantly, I think this system is most unfair when a player is obviously winning when injury strikes... under the current system, you would have lost that match. Is it fair that matches are decided based on bad luck?

Or is it the prevailing opinion on this issue that it is just too bad, and we should just cop it on the chin....

Tennis Tipping 2013
Doubles (275): W
Zagreb FU (w/Papillon.)
Tankman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #41
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
I think most issues have been quite comprehensively covered, so I won't go into them...

What I do take issue with is counting retired matches; i'm pretty sure that the aim of this game is to predict results of tennis matches, not freak accidents/injury aggravations/cramping etc. etc... that would be a completely different (and much more sadistic) game altogether. I'm strongly of the opinion that we don't count retirements at all; how are we supposed to predict that a player will somehow pull a muscle or break a leg or collapse with fatigue... sure you can take their health, fitness... however, this is a really grey area, and discounts freak accidents that often befall players (like Clijsters in AO)

Most importantly, I think this system is most unfair when a player is obviously winning when injury strikes... under the current system, you would have lost that match. Is it fair that matches are decided based on bad luck?

Or is it the prevailing opinion on this issue that it is just too bad, and we should just cop it on the chin....
OK, take the other side of it

you win if player A wins and he's dominating his match. He's leading 6-2 4-1 and you are already celebrating. suddenly player B retires because he doesnt feel like continuing anymore and you're out

that would suck if you ask me.

if betting companies accept as regular the unfinished matches, we should do the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #42
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Retirements happen, just like rain delays and my view on that is the result should stand.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 AM   #43
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

- Entry system- Leave as is
- Draw sizes- Depends on the tourny, for masters series events, they probably should 128 because they will be the only tournament that week and everyone will want to enter but evrything else should be kept to ATP.
- Ranking system- Leave as it is
- Qualifying for the 2007 doubles TMC (regular partners?)- Do the way they are doing it this year with top 16 players picking partner between them
- Davis Cup system- Top 4 players per country like normal rules.
- The use of TB's and CB's- Every match should be a TB so no losing by ranking
- Round Robin format- Try it in adeliade but i really don't want it to be introduced
- Losing by ranking- Every match should be a TB
- LL system- Just for first round
- Late picks- Counts for every match that hasn't started
- Challengers (who can play them?)- top 30 should be restricted from playing challengers
- Counting the retired matches- yes, they should count.
- Can players send in picks for their partners in doubles?- no, could lead to someone with two accounts
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #44
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute

TT board has now made some decisions for next year, here's the first bunch of them:

Draw Sizes

TT will follow the ATP here, with the exception of getting rid of the bye in all of the tournaments. This will mean that there will only be 3 kinds of singles draws next year (for 32, 64 and 128 players). Qualifying draws are normally for 16 players, but for the weeks like Sydney & Auckland (when there's no challengers) the quallies will be extended to 32 players.

Round Robin format

RR won't be brought to TT in 2007, all major tournaments (except WTC and TMC) will use the traditional knock-out format. RR might be tested in some of the 2007 end of the season challengers, if it proves out to be a big hit among ATP.

Losing by ranking

All TT tournaments in 2007 will have 5 TB's in the first round of play (if everything is still tied, the higher ranked will win). This should take care of the problem for good.

LL system

We will drop the current system and change it to the ATP one. LL's will only be used from the singles qualifying, the doubles won't have any LL's.

Late picks

They will be accepted, if they're not in a LL round. One late pick is enough for that player to be replaced with a LL. The pick is late if the match has started (one point is played).

More news to follow in the next few days. Some polls will also be started soon.
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #45
country flag savesthedizzle
#freeviktor

savesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond reputesavesthedizzle has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh.. did you guys even consider the set ratio option or not. First rounds are completely being decided by PTS. That's such bullshit. If I wanted to play PTS I would. You're not rewarding tipping at all. Great decision.

savesthedizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote