Chat Threads that shouldnt exist - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #46
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat Threads that shouldnt exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post
There wouldn't be any point in closing threads....if the reason MTF is slow is because of the number of posts then we'd be better of deleting the threads completely.
Enter something like "large threads" in Google and you'll see that many other boards do that. Large *active* threads often are a problem, not large archived threads.
Why delete posts or threads if they can be archived? If I were you, I wouldn't want my chat thread to be deleted.

But I completely agree that the board seems to work fine right now and there is no need to change anything then, Carlita. All those suggestions were posted when the board was VERY slow (last week).
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #47
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
Enter something like "large threads" in Google and you'll see that many other boards do that. Large *active* threads often are a problem, not large archived threads.
Why delete posts or threads if they can be archived? If I were you, I wouldn't want my chat thread to be deleted.

But I completely agree that the board seems to work fine right now and there is no need to change anything then, Carlita. All those suggestions were posted when the board was VERY slow (last week).
I like the idea of my thread being deleted, but the other people that post in it don't

Has it actually been confirmed that the reason MTF went slow is because of too many posts. Because I'm doubtful.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #48
country flag Steve
webmaster

Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond repute

The length of a post has nothing to do with the speed of the site. Its all just numbers.
When you click on a thread all the server knows is what thread and post you want so its not searching the actual thread text and scrolling through it all. What its doing is searching the database for (example) "t=88578" which is thread number and "&page=2" which is the page number.
At times when the site is busy it may lag a bit from people using "search" etc. but not to worry, we are working on a few things to optimize the speed of the forum and actually over the next few months we will be restructering the servers so it will be even faster than you have ever seen. so alls good.

Also in regards to people bashing the chat threads. I recommend that if you dont like them just dont go there. As is the case with any other thread/forum.
The site is not only for information but for fun too... so enjoy yourselves and let others enjoy themselves in whichever way that may be.... Of course within the rules of MTF
Steve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote