News and articles thread - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-22-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Denaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News and articles thread

Ok...here's a part.....

Cañas "I never did anything to be the example of anybody"

In September he returned to play after a 15 months doping suspension. He recovered himself and since then he's won four tournaments and two exhibitions. And he continues climbing up the ranking. “I've enjoyed so much the support from people on the streets”, he recognized.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS "This year I'll toast to having returned to play" Guillermo Cañas said, at the time of the balance of a successful end of season.

There is a pair of dozens boys in Roca Park chasing Guillermo Cañas with pens.Each step you can hear the desperate shouts to get an autograph from Willy, the tennis player who has returned to happiness after the fifteen months doping ban. While the sun sets, the player from Tapiales takes shelter in the cart, that will save him from the harassment of the children. No matter what: before and after this note, today's # 143 of the world has not foprgotten of those kids and each of them took "a memory" from him. For that reason the first question arises quickly:

- Why do you think you have such relationship with people?

-The truth is I don't know. It's hard to say. Before the suspension, many related to the way I play, my personality. Then after (the suspension), much more people compenetrated with the issue, with the injustice I had suffered, as it was their suffering. My having returned and that it all went well for me, it's really positive. Giving my best tennis was the best way to pay them. That's why I say it's a pleasure to step into the court and repay their affection.

-How much did that support influence your recovery?

-More important than the support in a match, to me it was important the every day support. I've enjoyed so much the support from the people on the streets. That's what kept my head high. When I entered to play "at the Vilas" and the stadium was full, that was incredible. Moreover being able to enjoy it for several days more. I can't describe yet the sensation I've had.

Since September 12th Guillermo Cañas made a "sprint" that even the best cyclist in the world would envy him for. He's won 4 challenger titles and he's added two cups more from exhibitions. And from having no ranking, he's already among the Top 150 players in the planet. Let's saee what he says about the good streak.

-Which will be your main reason to toast to this year end?

-There are going to be many. The main one, it'll be for having returned to play. I wish 2007 to be a productive year, a good one. I will thank my work team, my family, my friends and all the people that with a "VAMOS" (from their mouth) were and still are, really important to me. I'll toast to the way I'm enjoying of being in a tennis court.

-You've won four challengers and two exhibitions at your comeback. Would you rate that a 10?

-I think it's a dream comeback. Before I started to play again I dreamt of big triumphs, but it's never easy to achieve them after some time without playing. It's positive (credit balance). To say more, I have not lost at sea level.

-In 2007 you'll be playing ATP tournaments. How will you be to play with the elite?

-Good. I'm preparing myself as in the first time to play with the elite. I've trained as I used to, I've done things the same or even better than before. And I train to be at that level I was before the suspension. Beyond what Copa Argentina being an exhibition, and that we all know how we play that tournament, it was really important to me to have played better than I had been playing. I have trust for the upcoming, but I won't put pressure on myself because tennis has to be played all year long, not just one week.

-Have your goals been accelerated due to your good results?

-No, my biggest goal is the same one I've had before I could play again: to end up among the Top 20 players by the end of 200. While I had good results, I could have seen that goal closer.

-Which goals do you want to accomplish from now to your retirement?

-Many. Winning one DC would be incredible. That's one of my dreams. Another, winning a GS, which is the ultimate goal any tennis player has. I'm not motivated in being #1 of the world, I see that far away from me. Instead being Top 10, which I once was.

-Even though you're not friend of Mariano Puerta, who's suffered a similar situation like yours, he's said you are an example to follow.

-I've had a great friendshio with him and life separates or gathers us depending on what you're living at the moment. I hope he has the willing to come back. I don't feel like an example of anyone, the truth is I've never done anything to be the example of anybody. I want to do things right because I feel that way. If he said si, I thank him for that. I wish he'll be able to return to the courts because he's a great value for our country.

Gato Gaudio
Denaon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 07:37 AM   #17
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation and I look forward to the finished article.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Denaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond reputeDenaon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Thanks for the translation and I look forward to the finished article.

I will finish it today......

I kinda guessed noone cared much

Gato Gaudio
Old 12-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

I've finished one part.....don't pay attention to any typo, mistake...

The Davis Cup is a pending debt

Guillermo Cañas was the fifth player at the Davis Cup Final. For that reason, he speaks about Moscow and the forthcoming.

-Was it very strong (emotionally) for you to be at the Final in Moscow or having not played it took some emotion from it? (way too free translation )

-Look, it was really nice to be at the final. An unique experience, although I wish we will have another chance. Sharing the experience of being at a DC Final was really important for me. Not playing it did not diminish what I'm telling you. Though if you ask me, I'd lie if I said I wasn't looking foward to be there. I've said it since day #1. I wanted to play, because I felt capable of doing it. You always want to play, but this is a team and it was my turn to be out. And I did it the best way, cheering Argentina beacuse we all wanted the Cup. It did not happen, but we were really close. If I analize the Davis Cup, it was such a pleasant week and it's given me much.

-Nalbandian and Chela won't be playing against Austria. Therefore, most of the people believe you are in the team.

-If he's in the team, Cañas will play (he laughs) (he's referring to himself in third person). I have never refused to play in DC. The few times I had not been able to play it, it was because of injuries. I had been so unlucky to injure myself two years in a row, when we were playing in Semis. I had travelled to Belarus with knee problems. i've never refused because it is a pleasure and honor for me. If I have the chance and they trust I can play, I'll be there.

Gato Gaudio
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #20
country flag Haile Selassie

Haile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond reputeHaile Selassie has a reputation beyond repute

Thats true, he have never refused to play for Argentina.

Your english is pretty good

.Kuerten.Federer.Gaudio.Coria.Santoro.Gasquet.Araz i.Qureshi.Bopanna.
Calleri.Pella.Collarini.Estrella.Zeballos.Safin.Lo pez.Rochus.Malisse

.Wayne & Byron Black.T Martin.TJohansson.Vilas.Clerc.Jaite.
Haile Selassie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #21
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

It's fine Daniel son. It was easy read and good to see he has the love of the Davis Cup competition.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #22
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Support from two big guys.

RECOGNITION. Cañas does not forget the gestures that Guillermo Vilas and Diego Maradona had towards him.

That Sunday when Guillermo Cañas raised the "Argentina Cup", he enjoyed of the great luxury: he received personally and in front of everyone in BALTC the congratulations from Guillermo Vilas and Diego Maradona. About them, Willy says:

"Vilas is the best argentine tennis player of all history. And with me he's had an incredible gesture when he was not obliged to and I am proud and happy to talk about it" he explains. And he continues: "I was 17 years old and I had changed a racket that was not available here in Argentina. One day I trained with him and by himself he asked about those rackets. Guillermo (Vilas) grabbed a phobe and called Austria. And he got them for me, he made them sent to his house in Paris and then he sent them to me."
His gratitude continues today "it was just a gesture and he did it without me asking him so. And that's much worthwhile than a million things. He gained, not only my respect for being the professional he is, but aswell for the person he is. Since then, I've grown a big affection for him."

About "the 10" he says: "if we analize the player, he's been the best player ever. One of the most beloved idols, with Vilas, of this country. Personally he is incredible: I've told him so. I've always had a phonecall from him, he's always been there and he said to me "call me". He did when "the doping thing" happened and when I arrived to Belem, in my first tourney. He phoned me twice in Sweden. Everything's said with that.

-The crowd was surprised because Diego handed you the Cup. Were you surprised too?

No, because there were two cups. One, from the main sponsor and the other, especially requested by Diego.

Gato Gaudio
Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #23
country flag Denaon
Yes, I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion Argentina View Post
Thats true, he have never refused to play for Argentina.

Your english is pretty good
Thx...I should continue with english classes...that I know....I'm losing vocabulary and grammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
It's fine Daniel son. It was easy read and good to see he has the love of the Davis Cup competition.
Thx....

Yeah....Willy really likes DC
Thankfully....I believe he and Nalbo will be 2007 big cards to reach the Final again

Gato Gaudio
Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaon View Post
I kinda guessed noone cared much
Of course we care! Thanks for all the great translations, it's always very appreciated.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #25
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Good work Daniel, it's appreciated and Willy will be back in the top 50 soon enough.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #26
country flag gigi51

gigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond reputegigi51 has a reputation beyond repute

Why Willy doesn't he play the qualy of OA ????
gigi51 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #27
country flag sonatinca

sonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond repute

Willy got a WC for Copa Telmex

http://batanga.sportsya.com/noticia....c=54&id=129707

Cañas recibió el primer wild card

17-01 | 13:52 hs. - Estaba cantado. Guillermo Cañas, como el ranking no le daba para ingresar directo al cuadro principal, recibió una invitación especial para ser parte del ATP de Buenos Aires. Aún quedan dos por dar.

“Nos sentimos muy contentos por darle la primera invitación, especialmente por el apoyo que él (Cañas) siempre le brindó a este certamen en el país. Además, nos parece una forma de expresarle que lo acompañamos en el enorme esfuerzo que está realizando desde que regresó a las canchas, realmente se lo merece", comentó Martín Jaite, Director de la Copa Telmex.

December 1-3, 2006 Moscow - A fairy tale I'll never forget

~*~Also the Proud Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society~*~

¡SOY UN PUMA!

Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today. - James Dean

sonatinca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #28
country flag MarcelaTauro

MarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond reputeMarcelaTauro has a reputation beyond repute

Buen gesto de nuestros hermanos mexicanos

I hope that he can play there

Migani-Zeballos-Pella-Prieto-Arnold-Nalbandian-Guzman-Dabul-Malisse-Volandri

·Marcela Tauro and Marcelo Polino·
MarcelaTauro is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #29
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute

ZAGREB: CAÑAS PERDIO CON EL FRANCES SANTORO POR 5-7, 6-3 Y 6-
"Vamos a dejar todo"
Willy cayó en su regreso a los ATP pero se ilusiona con la Davis. "Entusiasma defender los colores".
JORGE VIALE jviale@ole.com.ar

Cañas quedó 1-2 ante el francés en los choques. Era su cuarto día seguido de acción.

Se trató de un torneo ATP, en Zagreb, pero la Copa Davis estaba en su cabeza en todo momento. El escenario mismo le recordaba al Mundial del tenis: en abril del año pasado, en el DOM Sportova, Juan Ignacio Chela cerraba la serie ante los croatas con el partido que no terminaba nunca ante Sasa Tuksar.

Por la serie frente a Austria, Guillermo Cañas viajó a Zagreb. Tenía pensado jugar una semana antes en el challenger de Heilbronn (Alemania), pero cambió de idea. El ex top ten ganó tres partidos en la clasificación y, en el cuarto día seguido de acción, cayó en la primera ronda del cuadro principal ante el francés Fabrice Santoro por 5-7, 6-3 y 6-2. Willy levantó una desventaja de 5-2 en el primer parcial, pero no pudo con el talento del francés de 34 años, 64ø del ranking.

Su última participación en un torneo del máximo nivel había sido en el césped de Halle 2005, cuando cayó en semifinales ante el ruso Marat Safin. "Estoy muy feliz pese a la derrota, es mi primer ATP desde el regreso y el primer partido en dos años en indoor. Me voy con sensaciones positivas, sabía que Santoro era complicado, se mueve bien en este tipo de superficie", dijo Willy. Y se puso a imaginar la serie con los austríacos, del 9 al 11 de febrero en la carpeta de Linz...

"Por eso es que vine a Zagreb, para prepararme para la serie. Es genial defender los colores en una Davis, vamos a dejar todo pese a que no contamos con nuestro mejor jugador", comentó Cañas, 106ø del ranking. En efecto, David Nalbandian debió bajarse por una tendinitis en la rodilla izquierda. Será la primera ausencia del unquillense desde abril del 2004, cuando Argentina perdió 5-0 en Bielorrusia.

"David en estas canchas es importante para nosotros, lo mismo Agustín (Calleri, lesionado en la espalda). Igual tenemos un gran equipo. Del Potro llega con mucha confianza, comenzó muy bien el año y casi le gana a Fernando González en el Abierto de Australia. Creo que será un gran jugador de la Davis. El esfuerzo será el máximo, como siempre que jugamos la Copa", anticipó. Ahora permanecerá un par de días practicando con colegas en Zagreb, antes de unirse a sus compañeros el Linz.

Translation of Cañas' quotes:

"I am very happy despite the loss, it is my first ATP since the return and the first indoor match in two years. I leave with positive sensations, I knew that Santoro was complicated, he moves well on this type of surface."

"Thats why I came to Zagreb, to prepare for the tie. Its great defending the colors (of the country) in the Davis Cup, we are going to give everything, despite that we do not count with our best player."

"David on these courts is important for us, as well as Agustin (Calleri, injured in the back). Still we have a great team. Del Potro arrives with a lot of confidence, he started the year very well and almost beats Fernando González in the Australian Open. I believe that he will be a great DC player. The effort will be great, as always when we play the Davis Cup"

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007.../01354931.html
Hendu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #30
country flag sonatinca

sonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond reputesonatinca has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so happy for Willy!
He just won 7/6 6/2 6/4

December 1-3, 2006 Moscow - A fairy tale I'll never forget

~*~Also the Proud Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society~*~

¡SOY UN PUMA!

Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today. - James Dean

sonatinca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote