And the Mickey Mouse tournaments are... (tournaments that will use the RR format) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:35 AM   #1
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Red face And the Mickey Mouse tournaments are... (tournaments that will use the RR format)

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsands...2006/robin.asp

ATP Outlines Round Robin Format Trials for 2007

* Thirteen ATP tournaments selected for round robin testing

* Three formats to be monitored to determine benefits for fans, broadcasters, others

* Sunday Starts also will be featured at several of the selected tournaments

The ATP announced today that it will test three different round robin formats at select circuit events in 2007. Round robin format is one of a series of on-court enhancements for 2007 outlined during the US Open to improve the tournament experience for players, tennis fans, broadcasters and event promoters.

Round robin—where players are placed into groups or pools, and the top player in each group then moves on to the knockout phase of the tournament—increases spectators’ chances of seeing their favorite stars, as one loss in a round-robin pool does not automatically eliminate a player, and also improves scheduling for broadcasters and tournament promotion. Round robin has been a staple of the Tennis Masters Cup circuit finale and ARAG ATP World Team Championship but not utilized at any other ATP tournament. The 13 tournaments chosen subject to final approval by the ATP will be held on different surfaces in different countries throughout the 2007 season, starting the first week in Adelaide, Australia.

“Our research with fans, tournaments and media indicate a preference for round robin,” said Etienne de Villiers (pictured above), ATP Executive Chairman & President. “We are committed to grow the appeal of the sport and get more fans to sample and enjoy. We are going to test different formats and see which ones we will introduce and into what type of event for 2008. It is the 'do it, try it, fix it' approach. I recognise some players and media are opposed or indifferent. But we will diligently build our research based on the results and do what's best for the fans. You live or die by your what your consumer does, not by what critics say or feel.”

ATP World No. 2 Rafael Nadal said: “I have said it at our meetings with Etienne, I think this is a great idea. Finally we really move forward and we do something really good for our sport. This will be good for our tournaments, for us the players and especially for fans and television since they will be able to have and see their favorite players more than once for sure.”

The ATP will conduct its one-year trial testing the three following formats:

· A 24-player round robin draw consisting of 8 groups of 3 players. Each player will then play two guaranteed matches in the round robin stage. The winner from each group will advance to the knockout round (quarterfinals), and then will play out the tournament per a traditional single-elimination format.

· A 32-player round robin draw consisting of a 16-player “play-off” with the 8 winners joining 16 other players to make up the 8 groups of 3 players. Each player will then play two guaranteed matches in the round robin stage. The winner from each group will advance to the knockout round (quarterfinals), and then will play out the tournament per a traditional single-elimination format.

· A 48-player round robin draw consisting of 16 groups of 3 players. Each player will then play two guaranteed matches in the round robin stage. The winner from each group will advance to the knockout round (round of 16), and then will play out the tournament per a traditional single-elimination format.

Many of the tournaments will be held over eight days and will begin not on the traditional Monday but on Sunday, when ATP tournaments will feature singles and doubles matches, pro-ams, charity events and family activities as part of the ATP’s plan to transform men’s professional tennis into an integrated entertainment business based on what makes sense to fans, players, tournaments and media.

Additionally, two ATP Masters Series tournaments have been chosen to utilize a Sunday Start program in 2007 (though ATP Masters Series will not test the round robin format). Those two Masters events are the Masters Series Monte-Carlo (April 15-22, 2007) and Rogers Masters in Montreal (August 5-12, 2007).

The 13 tournaments testing round robin in 2007, subject to final ATP and tournament agreement, will be (listed chronologically):

· Next Generation Adelaide International; Adelaide, Australia; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· Movistar Open; Viña del Mar, Chile; 24-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Delray Beach International Tennis Championships; Delray Beach, Florida; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· Copa Telmex; Buenos Aires, Argentina; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Tennis Channel Open; Las Vegas, Nevada; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· Estoril Open; Estoril, Portugal; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· The Stella Artois Championships; London, United Kingdom; 48-player round robin; grass court outdoors
· Catella Swedish Open; Båstad, Sweden; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships; Newport, Rhode Island; 24-player round robin; grass court outdoors
· RCA Championships; Indianapolis, Indiana; 32-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· ATP Studena Croatia Open, Umag, Croatia; 32-player round robin; clay court outdoors
· Legg Mason Tennis Classic; Washington, D.C.; 48-player round robin; hard court outdoors
· If Stockholm Open; Stockholm, Sweden; 32-player round robin; hard court indoors

"This is a great day for tennis," said Mark Baron, tournament director of the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships. "It's exciting for Delray Beach to open the 2007 tennis season in the United States by rolling out this new round robin format. We have been discussing creative ways to make our sport even more exciting and this format delivers a chance to test some of those ideas. Our fans are the big winners because they'll have the opportunity to see our marquee players at least twice. The round robin portion of the tournament will be exciting to follow as players jockey for positions into the quarterfinals."

Last edited by Lee : 12-13-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 AM   #2
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Outlines Round Robin Format Trials for 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
ATP World No. 2 Rafael Nadal said: “I have said it at our meetings with Etienne, I think this is a great idea. Finally we really move forward and we do something really good for our sport. This will be good for our tournaments, for us the players and especially for fans and television since they will be able to have and see their favorite players more than once for sure.”
The article and headline only mention Nadal's support. Guess they don't want to mention Federer anymore
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
country flag artlinkletter

artlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond reputeartlinkletter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And the potential MM tournaments are.......

I think they want to put a positive spin on the whole thing. Had they included Roger's remarks, they would put across the fact that some people ARE opposed to the idea.
artlinkletter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
country flag rmb6687

rmb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond reputermb6687 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn it...for some reason I knew Legg Mason would be one of them. At least it still has a pretty large draw...and hopefully Marat will come again.

roddick, hewitt, berdych, muller, tursunov, grosjean, djokovic
rmb6687 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
country flag atheneglaukopis

atheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond reputeatheneglaukopis has a reputation beyond repute

LA escapes...for now.

"I couldn't even tell you who the No. 1 ranked tennis player in the world is right now," Federer said. "It's probably me, still. It is, isn't it?" The Onion

Russophilic member of the MTF Perv Squad--objectifying Tarpischev, Kafelnikov, and Volkov like whoa.
atheneglaukopis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:01 AM   #6
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

F*ck You Atp
Old 10-26-2006, 04:02 AM   #7
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute

Copa Telmex

I didn't expect this for ATP Buenos Aires.

Viña del Mar will suffer Round Robin too.

I hope this experiment is for the better.

Although, I doubt it.

"A 32-player round robin draw consisting of a 16-player “play-off” with the 8 winners joining 16 other players to make up the 8 groups of 3 players."

Ok, what the hell is that?

the other two RR formats are simple, but this one is kind of odd.

Last edited by Hendu : 10-26-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Hendu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #8
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And the potential Micky Mouse tournaments are.......

I am not sure I am getting it right.

Buenos Aires and Viña del Mar until 2006 had a Draw Size of 32.

But with these systems, Buenos Aires would keep the field of 32 players but Viña would have it reduced to 24. Am I right?

Last edited by Hendu : 10-26-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I....... want to cry.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 AM   #10
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

So wait... Nadal has just said that he is fatigued from playing so much this year, yet we are supposed to buy that he supports the round robin format that could require him to play even more? Something doesn't seem right there...

It will be interesting to see what happens with these tournaments. Newport will be reduced to a 24 player draw, but I bet it still ends up with a Challenger level cut off

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:58 AM   #11
country flag rrfnpump
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

rrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond reputerrfnpump has a reputation beyond repute

phew, not Stuttgart

stupid RR
Old 10-26-2006, 05:04 AM   #12
country flag Hendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens with these tournaments. Newport will be reduced to a 24 player draw, but I bet it still ends up with a Challenger level cut off
Yes.

Newport and Viña del Mar are the only ones with the 24 player draw.

And Queens and Washington the only ones with the 48 player field.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #13
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

· A 32-player round robin draw consisting of a 16-player “play-off” with the 8 winners joining 16 other players to make up the 8 groups of 3 players. Each player will then play two guaranteed matches in the round robin stage. The winner from each group will advance to the knockout round (quarterfinals), and then will play out the tournament per a traditional single-elimination format.

Why don't they just make 8 groups of 4 and have the winners of each group play each other, that format they have explained really doesn't make much sense.

Bloody hell this is annoying, now less chance of a few unknown aussies to do well in adelaide.

Listen to your fans, stick with the knockout system ATP!
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 AM   #14
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
[b]Copa Telmex
"A 32-player round robin draw consisting of a 16-player “play-off” with the 8 winners joining 16 other players to make up the 8 groups of 3 players."

Ok, what the hell is that?
16 players have a bye while the other 16 play one match. The winners from the last round plus those that had a bye make the round robin groups. The winners from the round robin groups get to the quarter-finals.
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #15
country flag Hendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystlel View Post
16 players have a bye while the other 16 play one match. The winners from the last round plus those that had a bye make the round robin groups. The winners from the round robin groups get to the quarter-finals.
Yes I know

I was just critizising that RR system.

It sucks.

p.s. I don't think Chilean fans will be happy with their Draw reduced to 24... even if they get to see the best players at least twice.