Even more Nadal debating!! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Even more Nadal debating!!

Should Nadal fans worry about this disappointing defeat? I would say yes, because when I watch his game, I don’t see a guy who’s decisively better than the other guys in the Top 10. Actually, his success has always been a little surprising to me, the product of will as much as talent, which is one reason I'm a fan of his. Nadal’s backhand is not a natural shot, and his serve and return are just OK, so he’ll always play close matches where he relies on his intensity to pull him through. Which means he’ll always be in danger of the upset to a guy who serves big and can pound it into his backhand side (unlike Federer, who has a much tougher serve and return).

I am surprised that it’s Berdych who has his number. Nadal is an expert at getting guys running side-to-side with his hook forehands, and that’s obviously the key to beating the Big Berd.

This here comes from an article that was given to me via another debate.

Agree or Disagree?

I personally think that Rafa has more talent than this guy is willing to give him. But it is inevetable to say that Rafa has struggled a lot on HC recently. I believe that Rafa's first serve is good. Rafa's backhand may be "weird" but it's damn good.

Here's the full link: http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewr...de_at_alt.html
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
country flag mangoes
Comparisons are Odious

mangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond reputemangoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Even more Nadal debating!!

Nadal Forum

Live Life to the Fullest , Be Happy , Find Peace within Yourself ..................
Tennis Helps!!
mangoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:55 AM   #3
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that to make someone run in the court, you must take a leading position in the games. You must put yourself in command, and Berdych hits so deep and so hard that Nadal never gets to this point. Just watch their matches: Berdych is, for the most time, dictating play and making Nadal run.
Federer does pretty much the same thing, but his BH is vulnerable.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoes View Post
Nadal Forum
I want to hear more than just Nadal fans give an opinion.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
country flag KaxMisha

KaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
The thing is that to make someone run in the court, you must take a leading position in the games. You must put yourself in command, and Berdych hits so deep and so hard that Nadal never gets to this point. Just watch their matches: Berdych is, for the most time, dictating play and making Nadal run.
Not as vulnerable as his head against Nadal, though.
KaxMisha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #6
country flag JW10S

JW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal's backhand and serve are not natural because his is actually a right hander who learned to play tennis left handed. Berdych is just the type of player who can give Nadal trouble. He is tall, so Nadal's high bouncing topspin bothers him less, he plays close to the baseline, and can serve. Johansson, who Nadal lost to the prior event, is also tall, serves well, and plays close to baseline. As for these loses being reason to worry, I don't think so. He is 20 years old--too soon to be writing him off just yet.
JW10S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 AM   #7
country flag mandoura

mandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond reputemandoura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes.
Most ATP players:

~ Passenger on the Federer Express #111 ~ Resident of Denaon's Den of Misfits ~
~ Member of Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society ~

"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false." ~ Bertrand Russell
mandoura is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 AM   #8
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaxMisha View Post
Not as vulnerable as his head against Nadal, though.
Agreed, but game-wise, the problem is the BH.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
country flag KaxMisha

KaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond reputeKaxMisha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed, but game-wise, the problem is the BH.
Definitely. He either over- or under-hits it, though really, he shouldn't be that stressed out to do something.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:04 AM   #10
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Definitely. He either over- or under-hits it, though really, he shouldn't be that stressed out to do something.
Yeah, he just loses patience... it's strange. He should slice them more...
Old 10-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #11
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt worry.

we have seen the evolution of the a few of the great players in history, and nearly all of them had to change their games from when they started to when they finished.

e.g.sampras

when he started he was a baseline player...who had a good serve but not a powerful one...not like goran or becker...then when he became 21, he started to improve bh and serve/volley much more. serve became lethal etc.

then finally, he started to exclusively play s/v and chip/charge.

if nadal is truly a great player, he will find a way to overcome some of these challenges.
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:06 AM   #12
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
i wouldnt worry.

we have seen the evolution of the a few of the great players in history, and nearly all of them had to change their games from when they started to when they finished.

e.g.sampras

when he started he was a baseline player...who had a good serve but not a powerful one...not like goran or becker...then when he became 21, he started to improve bh and serve/volley much more. serve became lethal etc.

if nadal is truly a great player, he will find a way to overcome some of these challenges.
I'm glad I'll be alive to see the demise of all "evolution" theories.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 AM   #13

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm glad I'll be alive to see the demise of all "evolution" theories.

are u talking about tennis/and or nadal exclusively?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 AM   #14
country flag KaxMisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
i wouldnt worry.

e.g.sampras

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal turned out to be clay's answer to Hewitt. I mean, imagine Hewitt changing his style and starting to hit winners all of the sudden. Hahahahahah.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 AM   #15

Quote:
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal turned out to be clay's answer to Hewitt. I mean, imagine Hewitt changing his style and starting to hit winners all of the sudden. Hahahahahah.
yes.

i said IF nadal is a truly great player, he will figure it out.

Hewitt is a very good player, and so is safin.

the "great" label is so overused these days.