ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament 2004 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
dagmar7

dagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament 2004

Lleyton is on the entry list for this indoor hardcourt tournament in Rotterdam.

This is the first time he has entered this Richard Krajicek-directed tournament, which, health-permitting, boasts a glittering field led by the top two players in the world, Federer and Ferrero.

The website is in english as well as dutch, although you may find the language thread in this forum handy.

Go Lleyton!!

http://www.abnamrowtt.nl/
dagmar7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
dagmar7

dagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond reputedagmar7 has a reputation beyond repute

The list is from the official site. The comments are my own.

The provisional list of participants in the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament 2004:

February 13 updated list...Philippoussis, Grosjean, Novak, El Aynaoui, Ljubicic and Rusedski have all withdrawn. Karlovic is no longer in the maindraw or qualifying; nor is Ancic. Davydenko, Stepanek, Pavel, Koubek and Corretja join Rochus as new entrants in the maindraw. The top eight will be seeded accordingly.

::: Roger Federer...the obvious favourite and defending champion in doubles; has yet to lose a singles match in 2004

::: Juan Carlos Ferrero...missed d.c. with a leg injury

::: Rainer Schuettler...has yet to win a singles match in 2004. He can thank me for the reverse jinx.

::: Paradorn Srichaphan...9-3 to start the year; seems in pretty good form

::: Tim Henman...5-2 to start the year; this tournament launched last year's comeback.

::: Lleyton Hewitt...9-1 to start the year; hasn't left Australia in about six months; how will he react to d.c. disappointment?

::: Sjeng Schalken...fresh off d.c. victory against the dangerous (yes, I know) Canadian team; lost heavily to Roddick in fourth rd of AO, winning only six games.

::: Martin Verkerk...in Milan; lost qf to Carraz...troubled by a virus; tough to assess

::: Tommy Robredo...in Milan; lost qf to Ancic...good start to the year in singles and doubles

::: Max Mirnyi...defending champion in singles and doubles had a bad start to the year, but is just coming off d.c. heroics against Russia.

::: Thomas Johansson...in Milan; lost sf to Ancic...comeback looking pretty good

::: Albert Costa...2-2 to start the year

::: Jonas Bjorkman...big wins against Roddick and Philippoussis, but record is still 3-3

::: Arnaud Clement...has the game to trouble big hitters; took out the dangerous PimPim (!) at the Adidas in Sydney

::: Fernando Gonzalez...in Vina del Mar, Chile...famously erratic player perhaps finding some form after an 0-2 start, including a tough 1st rd assignmanet at the AO

::: Jarkko Nieminen...title-less 22-yr old Finn off to a decent start

::: Karol Kucera...in Milan; lost qf to Johansson...Lleyton's stalker seems to go hot and cold

::: Sargis Sargsian...in Milan; lost 2nd rd to Kucera...okay start to the year, but lost badly to Kucera in Milan

::: Mikhail Youzhny...in Milan; lost qf to Dupuis...before Milan, only one win and four losses, including a crucial one in d.c. tie with Belarusse

::: Nikolay Davydenko...1st rd win over Verkerk at AO, then lost to Olivier Patience

::: Raemon Sluiter...in Milan; lost 2nd rd to Johansson...Reasonable start for last year's finalist; another player who really goes hot and cold; the surface should suit his game, however...

::: Andrei Pavel...Also on the comeback trail. A good showing at the AO--lost 4th rd to Ferrero--and a good effort in the tie against Switzerland.

::: Radek Stepanek...in Milan; lost 1st rd to Kucera...record now an alarming 1-6, including two closely contested defeats in tie with Spain

::: Olivier Rochus...looking for his first win; some injury trouble perhaps--see post later in thread

::: Stefan Koubek...a distressing 1-5 start to the year; his only win against Philippoussis

::: John van Lottum

::: Goran Ivanisevic...in Milan; lost 2nd rd to Robredo

::: Alex Corretja...in Milan; lost 1st rd to Robredo...by the scorelines, hard fought matches, but only one win so far to show for it

Random fact: Arthur Ashe won this tournament three times, the most of any player.

Last edited by dagmar7 : 02-14-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
tournesol

tournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmar7
The list is from the official site. The comments are my own.

If anyone drops out, Olivier Rochus will be in the main draw, as he is the number one qualifier. Corretja is also in qualifying...

Random fact: Arthur Ashe won this tournament three times, the most of any player.
dagmar thanks for bringing some fresh air and thoughts

if i heard correctly grosjean is out for 6 weeks after his injury at AO (source some french tv channel)

re ollie: he had knee problems already in sydney, haven't heard anything since then
Old 02-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
dagmar7

back to dani

Oh no...I'm sorry to hear the injury to Grosjean is so serious.

I hope the (real--that's for his future wife, Marly ) younger Rochus can play. We need more small players amidst all the giants at this tournament.

I wish I could chat more, but I'm on the clock as it were.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #5
country flag Murkofan
Cracked out on D/S!

Murkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond reputeMurkofan has a reputation beyond repute

I adore Ollie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/LosDosMos/10.jpg

"I'm just on a mission today. But the end result, you will feel better."
"Not when you go home alone tonight I won't..."

"What is your good luck charm?"
"You."
--Derek and Shannon
Murkofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
dagmar7

Olie ...since Elke told me he was sort of a bad-tempered diva, I've become even more of a fan, I think.

From the site...I thought this was an interesting promotional idea, but I imagine it would be pretty difficult to play tennis on a moving, even a slow moving, surface.

Top tennis stars perform on floating court
ABN AMRO WORLD TENNIS TOURNAMENT KICKS OFF ON ROTTERDAM RIVER

Last year’s ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament was launched literally above Rotterdam’s river Maas with a tennis match on the famous Erasmus Bridge; this year's opening event is a "floating" match actually on the water. This spectacular kick-off, in which several of the world's top tennis players will again take part, will start immediately after the official draw at 14.00 hrs on Sunday, 15 February.

Around two o'clock in the afternoon, a push-barge will ferry a pontoon measuring 50 by 14 metres from the Willems Bridge for a short trip down river towards the Erasmus Bridge in the centre of Rotterdam. For the occasion a tennis court has been installed on the pontoon, complete with boarding like that used in Ahoy’ Rotterdam. Four top tennis stars, complete with ballboys and girls, will conduct the only outdoor "match" of the 2004 ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament while being pushed down river. It will be a fantastic setting for a demonstration of tennis at the very highest level.

When it reaches Boompjeskade, the pontoon will sail close to the quayside so that the public will have a good view of the court and the players. Spectators on the Erasmus Bridge will also have a perfect view of the spectacle, which is being organised by Ahoy’ Rotterdam in collaboration with Rotterdam Marketing and the ATP.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:35 PM   #7
tournesol

tournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond reputetournesol has a reputation beyond repute

that should be interesting, i'll do my best to watch it provided it's aired
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #8
dagmar7

Yeah, I thought it was an intriguing idea. This tournament really seems pretty well organized. I updated the players list so we can easily keep track of the form/fitness of the competition.

Okay, I am a bit perhaps...
Old 02-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
tournesol

Quote:
Yeah, I thought it was an intriguing idea. This tournament really seems pretty well organized. I updated the players list so we can easily keep track of the form/fitness of the competition.

Okay, I am a bit perhaps...
spring mood?
Old 02-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
dagmar7

Article found in the Herald Sun. Leo Schlink seems to assume that Mark will play also, but then he gives Sebastien Grosjean's name too. hmmm...does he know something we don't? or something less than we do?...

Edit: oh and at the headline--trying to grab viewers and alarm lleykis.

Hewitt back on the singles scene
Leo Schlink
13feb04

STUNG by Davis Cup disappointment, Lleyton Hewitt embarked yesterday on a search for grand slam glory and a single-figure ranking.

Hewitt flew out of Adelaide bound for the ABN/AMRO tournament in Rotterdam from Monday, when he will renew acquaintances with teammate Mark Philippoussis.
Hewitt's Australian Open conqueror Roger Federer heads a star-studded field, which also includes Juan Carlos Ferrero, Rainer Schuettler, Tim Henman and Sebastien Grosjean.

Hewitt, 22, is ranked 13th after ending a fractured 2003 at No. 17.

But he is only 30 rankings points behind 10th-placed Paradorn Srichaphan and, with a decent showing next week, can make significant inroads.

Hewitt will face another rankings challenge next month when he tries to maintain his position despite, at this stage, having no plans to defend the title he won in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The South Australian also won the Indian Wells Masters Series event last year, meaning he again needs to excel in the Californian desert to hold his ground.

"My main goal this year is to do well at the slams," Hewitt said. "My schedule is a little bit different, but the aim is to peak at the slams."

Hewitt is expected to break back into the top five by the end of the year, given his moderate form at the majors last year and the fact he played only 13 tournaments.

After Indian Wells, Hewitt has only a modest amount of rankings points to defend.

Hewitt has been relaxing and practising in Adelaide following Australia's 4-1 first-round Davis Cup loss to Sweden.

The right-hander, shattered at the team failure, was nevertheless content with the form that carried him to a straight-sets victory over teenager Robin Soderling.

Hewitt will contest the Miami Masters event next month before preparing for the claycourt season, encompassing possible appearances in Barcelona, Rome, Hamburg, Dusseldorf and Paris.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:47 AM   #11
Danni

Danni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond repute

lol, it didn't work very well....don't think i even read that headline in my newspaper this morning
Danni is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:48 PM   #12
dagmar7

lol...I don't really think it would fool too many people.

I guess they thought it would make a better headline than: "Hewitt plays atp tournament as scheduled," although maybe that's strange in its own right.

The ticker at the abn amro website says this so I guess it's official...

Philippoussis en Grosjean niet naar Rotterdam

Rochus and Karlovic should go to the maindraw then. Mario Ancic becomes the top seed in qualifying.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:01 PM   #13
country flag KaseyL

KaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol...I don't really think it would fool too many people.
nope LOL

Quote:
Rochus and Karlovic should go to the maindraw then. Mario Ancic becomes the top seed in qualifying.
Yeah for Rochus!

Edit: oops I forgot to add what I really wanted to say:
I have coverage of the tournament, as of Sunday, so I'll try to post some impressions and screencaps here (IF /when I'll find some time, can't predict next week).

"Follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be."
Joseph Campbell

Last edited by KaseyL : 02-13-2004 at 02:05 PM.
KaseyL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #14
tournesol

Default Re: Re: ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaseyL
Edit: oops I forgot to add what I really wanted to say:
I have coverage of the tournament, as of Sunday, so I'll try to post some impressions and screencaps here (IF /when I'll find some time, can't predict next week).
ingrid

which channel?
Old 02-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
country flag KaseyL

KaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond reputeKaseyL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Re: ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tournesol
ingrid

which channel?
It's on Ned2. They even show the draw live on Sunday (and hope to catch a glimpse of Lleyton and that floating court too LOL).

"Follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be."
Joseph Campbell
KaseyL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote