Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #91
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Argentines are without a doubt the most disdained group in Latin America. Argentines are arrogant, beef-eating tango dancers who are always late. We are also queer, rude, proud, hypocrites, eurocentric and don’t want to be considered south american. why?
We are always looking down on our Latin American neighbors and fancying ourselves a European nation. We flaunt our European ancestry and culture to our Latin American peers, who have mixed or indigenous blood.

The jokes about Argentines are great to know the Argentine stereotype:

1. An Argentine is a Spanish-speaking Italian who thinks he’s an Englishman and wants to live in Paris.

2.What is the best business you can do in this life?

To buy an Argentinian for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.

3. How does an Argentine commit suicide?

He climbs to the top of his ego, then jumps.

4. What is ego?

Ego is the little Argentine inside each of us.

5. Why do argentines look up to the sky every time there is a lightning flash?

Because they think god is taking them a photograph.

6. do you know how to make an Uruguayan?

You mix a Spaniard, an Italian and a some shit, but not a lot, or you could get an Argentine.

7. how do argentines start their love letters?

"I know you miss me..."

8. An Argentine was making love to her girlfriend, when she says: Oh, my God.
And he answers: well, in the intimacy you can call me Oscar.

These jokes are old, and have been told by our south american neighbours for ages.

Of course, thats because they envy us. We are better, more intelligent and of European descent.
Hendu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 AM   #92
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I love those Argentine stereotypes.

It's like the one when a pyschologist calls his colleague at 2am in the morning.

He says "I have a problem with this patient, he has an inferiority complex" and the colleague says "why is that a problem". The psychologist says, "well he's an Argentine with an inferiority complex".

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:01 AM   #93
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Yes, I love those Argentine stereotypes.

It's like the one when a pyschologist calls his colleague at 2am in the morning.

He says "I have a problem with this patient, he has an inferiority complex" and the colleague says "why is that a problem". The psychologist says, "well he's an Argentine with an inferiority complex".

There are lots of those. Also, there are a lot of sites dedicated to making jokes about Argentines. Chileans and Peruvians are very good at it.

Oh, I forgot. We hate Brazilians.

Last edited by Hendu : 10-19-2006 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:03 AM   #94
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Then the other side to the Argentine stereotypes is that the people from outside Buenos Aires aren't keen on porteños are stereotyped as being like them when they travel overseas.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-19-2006, 05:10 AM   #95
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

The Swiss

- They are all bankers
- Nazi gold herders
- Eat chocolate, fondue and rösti all the time
- Rigid
- Pedantic
- Extreme punctuality
- Full of Cuckoo clocks
- Everyone is a yodeller
- Most Swiss girls are named Heidi

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #96
country flag Hendu

Quote:
Then the other side to the Argentine stereotypes is that the people from outside Buenos Aires aren't keen on porteños are stereotyped as being like them when they travel overseas.
Yes, but who cares about the people from the "interior" (the inside).

Porteños are also said to give their back to the provinces, and never pay attention to them. Everything happens in Buenos Aires. (which is the political, economical and cultural capital of the country). Also almost 40% of the population lives in Buenos Aires province.

In the "interior" (which in everything outside Buenos Aires), there is a saying:

"God is everywhere, but his office is in Buenos Aires".

Porteños (for those who don't know, Buenos Aires citizens are called like that) are usually disliked in the rest of country (as Argentines are in the rest of Latin America) because of the same stereotype.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #97
country flag Hendu

Quote:
The Swiss

- They are all bankers
- Nazi gold herders
- Eat chocolate, fondue and rösti all the time
- Rigid
- Pedantic
- Extreme punctuality
- Full of Cuckoo clocks
- Everyone is a yodeller
- Most Swiss girls are named Heidi
Didn't you know they all live in alpine cabins?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #98
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
Didn't you know they all live in alpine cabins?
They live in the mountains and chalets, how could I forget that.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #99
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Bolivians

- They ride around on llamas
- All play in a pipe band
- Chew coca leaves
- Wear big bowler hats and sweaters
- Whole population is Indian
- Socially conservative

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #100
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute

To get into stereotypes of the boudoir. I am not saying these are true, just that they are some stereotypes.

* Gals from the US are easy.

(This was solidified from my travels and studies abroad plus my time in college hanging out with the ESL students. Sorry guys- not a given that because we have a US passport we will put out.)

* English men are bad in bed.

* German men either have clinical efficient sex or weird S&M stuff.

* Guys from Mexico, South America and Italy will cheat on you.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:55 AM   #101
country flag Hendu

Quote:
Bolivians

- They ride around on llamas
- All play in a pipe band
- Chew coca leaves
- Wear big bowler hats and sweaters
- Whole population is Indian
- Socially conservative
They defecate in the streets.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #102
country flag oz_boz

oz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond repute

I think the "Germans are racists" is really sad, things have changed a lot since 1945. Racism is largely correlated with social standard (more common among poor people) and it's not like the rest of Europe have only immigrant friendly parties in their parliament (France, Belgium, Italy, Denmark...and Sweden is probably with them in 4 years ).

It's as if people think that WWII was won by non-racists who fought to defeat racism. Kind of hard to think of something farther from the truth than that.

I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.
oz_boz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #103
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_boz View Post
I think the "Germans are racists" is really sad, things have changed a lot since 1945. Racism is largely correlated with social standard (more common among poor people) and it's not like the rest of Europe have only immigrant friendly parties in their parliament (France, Belgium, Italy, Denmark...and Sweden is probably with them in 4 years ).

It's as if people think that WWII was won by non-racists who fought to defeat racism. Kind of hard to think of something farther from the truth than that.
There are still certain elements there of course, but that stereotype won't go away and as for that there are always places that are worse than others and it's a problem that won't go away.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #104
country flag oz_boz

oz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond reputeoz_boz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
[b]Argentines are without a doubt the most disdained group in Latin America.
Are you sure? At least some places in Europe it's held in pretty high regard (probably since it is supposed to be more European than the rest of SA). How about Colombia where everyone is a trigger happy drugdealer?

I don't like hypocrites, but even worse are the ones who think it's OK to be an asshole as long as you are not hypocritical.
oz_boz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #105
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_boz View Post
Are you sure? At least some places in Europe it's held in pretty high regard (probably since it is supposed to be more European than the rest of SA). How about Colombia where everyone is a trigger happy drugdealer?
Argentines in South America have all the jokes told about them and most of them especially Chileans, Peruvians and Brazilians will cheer against them all the time.

Willy's jokes pretty much sum it up.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1