Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #16
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeirob View Post
I thought that

I also think Brazilians dance to work and have sex on TV
GINGER!!! I missed ya!

There are no jungles in more than 1500km from my city and the temperatures in the winter reach 3ºC kinda often. I could come up with more things to prove that stereotype wrong.

Ah, I don't dance and I've never had sex... on TV, that is...
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
country flag sharpeirob

sharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
GINGER!!! I missed ya!

There are no jungles in more than 1500km from my city and the temperatures in the winter reach 3ºC kinda often. I could come up with more things to prove that stereotype wrong.
Ah, I don't dance and I've never had sex... on TV, that is...

Aww you did? I was busy having a life, I havent had time to troll recently

There are non 1500km? Do you know why? Because your goverment is messed up and cuts all the trees down Or is that just another stereotype, and it is actually wrong.....which i dont think it is.....because I am never wrong
Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #18
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's because jungles appear mostly on tropical environments, and it's not the case in a great part of Brazil...
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #19
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Norwegians:

All Norwegians are blonde haired and blue eyed and yes that even includes the Sami population.

They ski to school or work, they sing when they speak and use ummmmmmm and errrrrrrrrrrrr a lot, have polar bears wandering down the main street, insular, live in the mountains and hunt everything that moves and are considered yokels by Danes and the Swedes.

Eat this horrible dish called lutefisk, haven't evolved from Vikings and don't have a sense of humour
I'm from Minnesota in the US and many of those stereotypes are the same as the rest of the US has of us (LOTS of people here are proud to have Vikings for anscestors)! So here that would be the sterotype of all scandinavians-would have to add there are lots of redheads too though; its only the old timers that still eat lutifisk, black bears instead of polar, and we do actually have a sense of humor. ( the home of Garrison Keillor and Al Franken, the Coen Brothers-oops 3 of those 4 aren't scandinavian though ...)

For my own stereotypes, I hold a lot of stereotypes of the South (the US South that is).
- Are more likley to marry a close cousin.
-have an inferior public education system
-regularly eat possom
-still fly the Dixie flag
-love NASCAR
-Believe Elvis is still alive

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 10-16-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #20
country flag alelysafina

Location: In the middle of nowhere... and nowhere near the beach :(
alelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naranoc View Post
Some generalisations about the UK:

- All Scottish people wear kilts. Yes, even to school and work.
- Our food is crap and bland (pfft!)
No offense, but your food is bland.... Well at least to me it is, but I'm Mexican so bland to me might not be so bland to you

I want to have my evil way with Tommy Robredo

Nikolay Davydenko Online

My Av was made by J'torian
alelysafina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #21
country flag alelysafina

Location: In the middle of nowhere... and nowhere near the beach :(
alelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond reputealelysafina has a reputation beyond repute

Some on California:

Everyone is near the Ocean - 70% of Califonia is inland, only 30% is coastal region.
Everyone says dude, totally, awesome and we are all surfers - I can't even swim...
We are all blonde and tan
It is sunny all year round - that's only in Southern California if you go to Northern California and more inland you get normal season and such.

I want to have my evil way with Tommy Robredo

Nikolay Davydenko Online

My Av was made by J'torian
alelysafina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #22
country flag Naranoc

Naranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No offense, but your food is bland.... Well at least to me it is, but I'm Mexican so bland to me might not be so bland to you
I know I know, there's no point trying to fool myself any longer

Fish and chips all the way
Naranoc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute

fish and chips indeed

everyone thinks we speak like the queen as well

Iguana, Biscuit, Pim Pim, the ledge that is Rafter! and my new love Nole!

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
and proud to be a morgette & mattiholic!!!
Suzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #24
country flag dudi_fan

dudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 AM   #25
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
I'm from Minnesota in the US and many of those stereotypes are the same as the rest of the US has of us (LOTS of people here are proud to have Vikings for anscestors)! So here that would be the sterotype of all scandinavians-would have to add there are lots of redheads too though; its only the old timers that still eat lutifisk, black bears instead of polar, and we do actually have a sense of humor. ( the home of Garrison Keillor and Al Franken, the Coen Brothers-oops 3 of those 4 aren't scandinavian though ...)
There is another stereotype that all Scandinavians are the same.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:34 AM   #26
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

The Finns sit in the sauna, don't talk and carry around the puukko (a local all purpose knife), drink litres of vodka every night, don't laugh and eat kalakukko.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:36 AM   #27
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
The Finns sit in the sauna, don't talk and carry around the puukko (a local all purpose knife), drink litres of vodka every night, don't laugh and eat kalakukko.
vodka, thats some gross shit there although i dont know why that doesnt stop me from drinking it.
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:45 AM   #28
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you're ever in St.Louis, driving a car...and come to a complete stop at a STOP sign, the person behide you will honk and give you the finger...
no one spots on STOP signs in St.Louis...we do a rolling stop...example..if you are going 35mph, you lighly press the break, take it down to 20-25
Old 10-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #29
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Saint Louis MO USA

If you live in St Louis, you'll understand this. If you've ever visited St. Louis you'll understand this. If you've never been to St. Louis, consider this your Visitor's guide To Driving in St. Louis.

1. There are 75 "official neighborhoods" in the City of St. Louis. St. Louisans commonly give directions (especially for restaurants) to strangers based on these neighborhoods which aren't marked on any maps that are handed out by the tourist board, the AAA or Mapquest.
DUE TO RECENT INFO...THERE ARE 79 NEIGHBORHOODS IN THE CITY OF ST. LOUIS..thanks Kevin

2. There are 54 school districts -- on the Missouri side alone - each of which has their own school bus system and scheduled times to block traffic.

3. There are 91 official municipalities in St. Louis County. Each Municipality has its own rules, regulations, and often their own police departments.

4. More importantly, most have their own snow removal contracts so it's not uncommon to drive down a road in winter and have one block plowed, the next salted, the next piled with snow and the last partially cleared by residents wanting to get out of their driveways.

5. Snow plowing is never a problem in the City of St. Louis. They plow nothing, and if the forecast calls for snow, they close everything. Except on "The Hill" (refer to #1 above) where each homeowner goes out to the street and shovels out one car-sized rectangle and then stands watch over it.

6. Any car parked longer than 4 hours in the city is considered a parts store.

7. The City of Ballwin actually proposed that drivers use connecting strip mall parking lots to get from place to place rather than drive on Manchester road to cut the traffic on Manchester.

8. Laclede Station Road mysteriously changes names as you cross intersections. As do McCausland, Lindbergh, Watson, Reavis Barracks, Fee Fee, McKnight, Airport Road, Midland, Olive and Clarkson. Gravois Road can only be pronounced by a native. Ditto for Spoede and Chouteau.

9. A St. Louisan from South County has never been to North County and vise versa.. West County has everything delivered.

10. No native St. Louisan knows that Lindbergh runs from South County to North County! And, if you tell them, they will not believe you.

11. Lindbergh belongs to every neighborhood except Kirkwood, who had the nerve to creatively change the name to "Kirkwood Road."

12. There are 2 interchanges to exit from Highway 40 onto Clayton Road and 2 for Big Bend. Stay alert,people!

13. If you need directions to O'Fallon, make sure to specify Illinois or Missouri. This is also true for Troy, Maryville, St. Charles, Springfield,Columbia....

14. The Page Avenue extension and Airport expansion projects took over 20 years to get approved and St. Louisans lost track of how many political figures claimed them as their own ideas.

15. St. Louisans were aghast when the federal government required them to redo the highway signs
to indicate that the federal highways went to cities in other states instead of local municipalities.

16. Drivers are starting to cut their OWN plates rather than go through the Missouri Department of Motor Vehicles to get new tags. You can also purchase tags from dealers behind QuiK Shops in the city. They are cheaper, the clerks are nicer, and the service is faster.

17. Lambert Field and St. Louis International Airport really are the same place. The East Terminal, however, is a different place.

18. Highway 270 is our daily version of the NASCAR circuit. (Same goes for Highway 70.) You can go all four directions on Highway 270: North and South in West County, East and West in South County, and East and West in North County. Confused? So are the St. Louis drivers.

19. The outer belt is Highway 270 which turns into Highway 255 in South County. The inner belt is Highway 170. Highway 370 is an outer-outer belt. Highway 40 is the same as Interstate 64 (but only through the middle part of St. Louis).

20. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10:00 AM. The evening rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:00 PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning. Never ever try to cross a bridge in St. Louis during rush hour unless you have a sack lunch and a port-a-potty in the car.

21. YIELD signs are for decoration only. No native St. Louisan will ever grasp the concept.

22. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect, or has been on for the last 17 miles.

23. Construction on Highways 40, 64, 70, 255, 270, 44, 55 and 170 is a way of life, and a permanent form of entertainment.

24. All blue haired old ladies in Cadillacs (driving on Olive west of 270) have the right of way.

25. If it snows or rains? Stay home!!

26. It is called a rolling stop at any stop sign intersection. Only native St. Louisans can do it just right...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 AM   #30
country flag Devotee

Devotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond reputeDevotee has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest eye-opener I ever had was when I travelled to India on vacation many years ago.

Before then, I thought all Indians were poor, uneducated, starving, had loads of children, tolerated cows on every street corner.

I was unaware of their magnificent civilization lasting thousands of years,
their ethnic European roots, their commitment to democracy.

Devotee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote