Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #136
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

This is a pretty good thread!
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #137
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealanders

Wear grass skirts
Shag Sheep
Say "fush and chups"
Love rugby

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #138
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

This below is about the Quebecois. It's a parody on the "I am a Canadian" commercial.

I'm not unemployed, or smuggling cigarettes across the border
I don't eat Pepsi & May West for breakfast
I don't watch the hockey game doing it doggie style
And no, I don't know Claude, Manon or Francois in Abitibi-Temiscamingue, but I'm sure they all have nice teeth

I smoke in church
I speak Quebecois and Jouale,
not French or English
I pronounce it "TURD" not "THIRD"
And eating French fries with cheese makes sense mon estie.

I believe in distinct society as long as someone else pays for it
I believe in language police, NOT equal rights
And calisse i believe that Club Super Sexe is an appropriate place for my wife and me to celebrate our anniversaire;
what the hell, she goes on at 10:00 anyway.

In Quebec, the Stanley Cup actually comes around more often then Haley's Comet
I can get beer at the depanneur, NOT the convenience store
And maybe I can't turn right on a red light, but tabarnac, i can go right through it.

Because Quebec is the world's largest producer of maple syrup
The home of Celine Dion AND Roch Voisine
The land where everybody is shacking up
And the legal drinking age is just a suggestion

Je m'appelle Guy
AND I AM NOT CANADIAN
Mautadit tabarnac estie
Merci, salut la visite.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #139
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how some stereotypes become self-fulfilling prophecies:

The Power of Stereotypes
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2450394&page=1

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...=5070&emc=eta1
Experts: Some Women Perform Well in Math

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 19, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Telling women they can't do well in math may turn out be a self-fulfilling statement. In tests in Canada, women who were told that men and women do math equally well did much better than those who were told there is a genetic difference in math ability.

And women who heard there were differences caused by environment -- such as math teachers giving more attention to boys -- outperformed those who were simply reminded they were females.

The women who did better in the tests got nearly twice as many right answers as those in the other groups, explained Steven J. Heine, a psychology professor at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

Expectations, it turns out, really do make a difference.

''The findings suggest that people tend to accept genetic explanations as if they're more powerful or irrevocable, which can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies,'' said Heine.

The math study is the latest since Harvard University's president ignited controversy last year by suggesting that innate gender differences may partly explain why fewer women than men reach top university science jobs. The comment eventually cost him his job.

Heine and doctoral student Ilan Dar-Nimrod wanted to see how people are affected by stereotypes about themselves. They divided more than 220 women into four groups and administered math and reading comprehension tests between 2003 and 2006. Their results are reported in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

''Our study doesn't explore whether innate sex differences exist,'' said Dar-Nimrod. ''Instead, we investigated how the perceived source of stereotypes can influence women's math performance.''

The women were given a math test, then asked to read an essay, and then given a second math exam.

In two groups the women averaged between five and 10 correct answers out of 25 math questions. In the other two they averaged between 15 and 20 correct.

The women in the lower-scoring groups read essays that either contended that there is a genetic difference between men and women in math ability, or discussed the images of women in art -- a reading which did not discuss math but was designed to remind them of being female.

Those two groups not only fell short of the other women, but their performance declined between the two math tests, meaning they scored lower after reading the essays than before.

It's a process psychologists call a stereotype threat, Heine explained. ''If a member of a group for which there is a negative stereotype is in a position to test the stereotype, they are likely to choke under the pressure.''

So reminding them of the stereotype affects them.

On the other hand, reading essays that contend there is no natural difference between men and women in math skills lets them go ahead and answer the questions without any added pressure.

And that was also the case with those reading essays arguing that any differences aren't their fault, but exist because of conditions such as teachers giving boys preferential treatment in the early years of learning math.

That, explained Heine, ''may allow a woman to say, 'This stereotype doesn't apply to me.'''
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #140
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

Zirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond repute

I remember some time ago the leader of a Dutch extreme right political party was murdered.
He was gay and out of the closet. Was murdered by an extremist environmental ativist, due to his position about animal fur in clothes. And was succeded by a Moroccan immigrant!
Of course the right parties are not a joke, I think they are dangerous to the world (damned Bush, Berlusconi, Le Pen!), but in Netherlands it looks like a joke...
In the same week I watched on TV the Swedish police attacking manifestants in Stockholm. Then I noticed that police is police everywhere...
Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #141
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

Zirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond repute

Heaven:
The police is Brit
The cook is French
The mechanic is German
The lover is Italian
And everything is organized by the Swiss

Hell:
The police is German
The cook is Brit
The mechanic is French
The lover is Swiss
And everything is organized by the Italians
Old 10-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #142
country flag Zirconek
Tênis Mambembe

The perfect European shoul be...
Cooking... like a Brit
Available... as a Belgian
Flexible... as a Swede
Talkative... as a Finn
Sober... as the Irish
Humble... as a Spaniard
Humorous... as a German
Technical... as a Portuguese
Famous.. as a Luxembourguer
Patient... as an Austrian
Driving... like the French
Organised... as a Greek
Generous... as a Dutchmen
Controlled.. as an Italian
Discreet... as a Dane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg European-k.jpg (56.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-29-2006, 03:00 AM   #143
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
Heaven:
The police is Brit
The cook is French
The mechanic is German
The lover is Italian

Hell:
The police is German
The cook is Brit
The mechanic is French
The lover is Swiss
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:17 AM   #144
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
Heaven:
The police is Brit
The cook is French
The mechanic is German
The lover is Italian

Hell:
The police is German
The cook is Brit
The mechanic is French
The lover is Swiss

The Pole:

Can't speak different languages than Polish
Always complain
Don't like people from the other coutries (especially Jewish, Russians and Germans)
Like a lot of alcohol
Often lies
Vvery religious (catholicism)

Unfortunately this is rather true ( ) but i think it concern principally generation were born after second World War (in 40s, 50s and maybe a bit in 60s)
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:36 AM   #145
country flag dudi_fan

dudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond reputedudi_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Wtf Is This???
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #146
country flag Chileno

Chileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond repute

Chilean Stereotypes?

General:

- Its hot in Chile, its chili in Chile (It's both)

According to Bolivians, Peruvians and Argies:

- we steal stuff... territory, culture, ideas, etc.
- we are calmer and more introvert than the rest of the S.American nations.
- we are organized and efficient.
- we scheme and plot the demise of our neighbours. Mainly based on the ridiculous military spending. (Most modern army in America after US and Canada)
Chileno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #147
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Serbians are bloodthirsty war criminals.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #148
country flag vucina
Banned!

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Serbians are bloodthirsty war criminals.
We like to be called Serbs,not Serbians.
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #149
country flag lalit

lalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond reputelalit has a reputation beyond repute

one stereotype i found true
americans are ignorant about the world outside america
lalit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #150
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
one stereotype i found true
americans are ignorant about the world outside america
Yeah all of us never leave America and think America is way better none of us travel abroad to experience other people and other cultures ever none of us watch the news and know about what's happening all around the world puhleeze.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote