Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

Since everyone generalises and stereotypes to a degree, it's just a question of who admits to it and who judges everything by these stereotypes. Yes, there are people who will fit it.

The more interesting ones are the regional ones within a country.

I wonder how will it take for people to take this thread seriously and no it should be taken too seriously. This thread might work or it might bomb.

Norwegians:

All Norwegians are blonde haired and blue eyed and yes that even includes the Sami population.

They ski to school or work, they sing when they speak and use ummmmmmm and errrrrrrrrrrrr a lot, have polar bears wandering down the main street, insular, live in the mountains and hunt everything that moves and are considered yokels by Danes and the Swedes.

Eat this horrible dish called lutefisk, haven't evolved from Vikings and don't have a sense of humour

Regional within Australia
Tasmanians are slow, the people have 2 heads from inbreeding and everyone is related to someone else and the fact that some people think they have to exchange currency, since it's different from Australia

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laughing at National and Regional Stereotypes

i admit when i was younger i use to but not so much now however when i visit a place i sometimes want them to be like my stereotypes if that makes sense!

well i use to think that all the french wore stripey blue/white tops and black trousers, had garlick or onions round ther necks and playing the accordian with a moustache and maybe a baguette thrown in

I thought all japanese wore kimonos and socks with those woodern shoes or they were all sumos

cant think of anymore right now

Iguana, Biscuit, Pim Pim, the ledge that is Rafter! and my new love Nole!

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
and proud to be a morgette & mattiholic!!!
Suzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Polish and Russian people are said to drink a lot of vodka

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
country flag its.like.that
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

Many believe Australians ride to school on kangaroos - and yes this is true.
its.like.that is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Banned!

its.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond reputeits.like.that has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia, it is quite common for people to assume that all Germans are Nazis.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Banned!

Australians also believe that Italians are cheats, I'm not sure if this is a stereotype or fact.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
country flag Suzi

Suzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond reputeSuzi has a reputation beyond repute

oh and i use to think the scots eat haggis all day

Iguana, Biscuit, Pim Pim, the ledge that is Rafter! and my new love Nole!

Other Notable non-tennis supportees: Aaron Peirsol, LIVERPOOL, Kimi 'World Champ' Raikkonen, Thorkildsen, Adam Scott and many more......
and proud to be a morgette & mattiholic!!!
Suzi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

The Polish people steal. That is/was a stereotype in Germany. But the last 5 years or so I haven't heard jokes about the Poles anymore.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
FrogBurger

FrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond reputeFrogBurger has a reputation beyond repute

well some people think that jews have horns, we eat blood and we are all rich, worhip the devil, have caused all or most wars, wish to take over the world and are the cause of homosexuality.

on the positive side, we are said to make good husbands, are clever/intelligent, are supportive of womens' rights and have a deep commitment to study and learning. Women make very nuturing mothers and dote on our sons.
FrogBurger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
country flag Nathaliia

Nathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond reputeNathaliia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
The Polish people steal. That is/was a stereotype in Germany. But the last 5 years or so I haven't heard jokes about the Poles anymore.
Polish girls can steal some hearts in Germany, that's for sure

Yeah... I know there was such a joke: "Go to Poland, you car is already there"

i want something else to get me through this life....
Nathaliia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
country flag sharpeirob

sharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond repute

Its commonly thought Zimbabweans are black.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
country flag Naranoc

Naranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond reputeNaranoc has a reputation beyond repute

Some generalisations about the UK:

- All Scottish people wear kilts. Yes, even to school and work.
- Our food is crap and bland (pfft!)
- Everyone is reserved and indifferent, we all have 5 o'clock tea with buttered scones/crumpets, and enjoy queuing.
- It rains every day in England.
- We all say 'splendid' 'terribly' and 'spiffing old chum'.
- We have the most bawdy and destructive football hooligans of any country.

Quote:
Its commonly thought Zimbabweans are black.
You have just highlighted my ignorance.

Last edited by Naranoc : 10-16-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Naranoc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
well i use to think that all the french wore stripey blue/white tops and black trousers, had garlick or onions round ther necks and playing the accordian with a moustache and maybe a baguette thrown in
I know about that!! And you forgot that all French drink wine and eat a lot of fat food with a lot of sauces. And oh, we're dumb nationalists when it comes to sport. We eat snails and frogs!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
country flag GlennMirnyi
Banned!

GlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond reputeGlennMirnyi has a reputation beyond repute

People think all Brazilians love football and samba, are black or mulato and live in a jungle surrounded by monkeys.
GlennMirnyi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
country flag sharpeirob

sharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond reputesharpeirob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
People think all Brazilians love football and samba, are black or mulato and live in a jungle surrounded by monkeys.
I thought that

I also think Brazilians dance to work and have sex on TV