Which book do you currently read? - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #151
country flag HybridTheory

HybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond reputeHybridTheory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which book do you currently read?

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, it's very good .
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #152
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Bow View Post
Madame Tussaud: A Life In Wax by Kate Berridge - this is a lot more interesting than it may seem it would be.
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman - this is a re-read of one of my favorite books. I wish that more authors would write about WWI- but sheesh, it has been slim pickings. If anyone has any good recommendations for books about WWI, please post them.
Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris- this is re-read as well for book club. We're taking it easy this month.

I took a course for my Master's in English Lit in WWI lit - there's actually far more literature written with WWI as a backdrop than with WWII.

The Return of the Soldier - Rebecca West
Soldiers' Pay - William Faulkner
Jacob's Room - Virginia Woolf (really anything by Woolf because she was a modernist which partly came out of the angst over WWI).
Parade's End - Ford Madox Ford
Regeneration - Pat Barker - which fictionalizes the life of Siegfried Sassoon who was an important WWI poet.
The Missing of the Somme - which is non-fiction but reads like fiction. Excellent book - satirizes people who talk about how "horrible" war is - it becomes cliche after awhile. But interesting with excellent photos. And to be honest, in some sections, even though I knew he was satirizing, it was so horrid that I found myself moved by what he was writing.
Johnny Got his Gun - can't remember the author - I can't say that the writing is great, but Metallica made the great video based on the story.
In Parenthesis - David Jones - I hated this book, and you may hate me if you decide to read it for mentioning it. But others loved it. It just did nothing for me - and difficult difficult difficult to read.

If you like poetry, Sassoon of course. And The Poet of WWI - Wilfred Owen - one of his poems actually became a poem that Vietnam War protestors used. Its excellent - I'll try to find it and post it.

I think of all the books, you'd like Regeneration the best. But everyone has their own favorites, so maybe not.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #153
country flag Hiromiku

Hiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished "Le Papillon des etoiles" by Bernard Werber. Good book although he steals lots of ideas from his other books...
Now I'm reading Haruki Murakami's "Kafka on the shore", pretty weird but decent stuff.

VAMOS XRISTOS

http://www.centrecourthavoc.com
Hiromiku is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:11 PM   #154
country flag Hiromiku

Hiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond reputeHiromiku has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyGeL View Post
The Alchemist is a nice one, but reading more than one of his books might want you to commit suicide T_T

All Coelho's books are kind the same stuff. Just go to the psychoanalyst
I'm planning to read that book after I finish "Kafka on the shore" as my father's going to meet Paulo Coehlo in January and I'd like to write a letter to him

VAMOS XRISTOS

http://www.centrecourthavoc.com
Hiromiku is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #155
country flag Clara Bow

Clara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond reputeClara Bow has a reputation beyond repute

Nico Fan, thanks for all of the recommendations. Regeneration and The Missing of the Somme in particular sound interesting.

Quote:
Johnny Got his Gun - can't remember the author - I can't say that the writing is great, but Metallica made the great video based on the story.
I read that in high school and it stuck with me - although I haven't read it since because, as you know- it isn't a cheery book in the least. I acutally liked the writing at the time. It was written by Dalton Trumbo. He was also a screenwriter (Roman Holiday, Spartacus and Papillion and others) who was part of the Hollywood Ten during the McCarthy Era and was blacklisted.

Currently reading:
The Law of Dreams by Peter Behrens. Very enjoyable read (imo) about a teenager's travels from Ireland through England and Wales and then Canada during the time of the Potato Famine.
George Harrison by Adam Clayson. Part of the Beatles Box bio series by Clayson. A reread as a result of getting The Beatles Love CD for Christmas.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #156
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Fluff ie HP and Order of the Phoenix. I tried reading it when it first came out and I have to admit that halfway through I couldn't stand it anymore. Such Blashemy But having watched the 4th movie this weekend with the family and feline guest, I decided to have another go. So far so good. I still rather listen to it on audio though. Much more entertaining.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #157
country flag napki

napki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond reputenapki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Fluff ie HP and Order of the Phoenix. I tried reading it when it first came out and I have to admit that halfway through I couldn't stand it anymore. Such Blashemy But having watched the 4th movie this weekend with the family and feline guest, I decided to have another go. So far so good. I still rather listen to it on audio though. Much more entertaining.
I was spoiled by those audiobooks just finished listening to the 6th one btw. I didn't even know the 4th movie is out already, i was so disappointed by the re-watch of the first 2 (after listening to the book) that i lost all interest in those movies...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #158
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently reading Levitt's "Freakonomics".

It is quite an interesting read.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #159
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafuria View Post
I'm currently reading Levitt's "Freakonomics".

It is quite an interesting read.
I LOVE that book. it really kept my interest, which is impressive considering it's written by an economist. I especially liked the information on the sumo wrestlers and realtors.
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #160
country flag mtw

mtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond repute

Internal medicine by Szczeklik
mtw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #161
country flag Sean.J.S.

Sean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond reputeSean.J.S. has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't read much these days. Partly because I don't have time to (because I spend too much time on MTF and also because I don't really enjoy it.

Anyway a couple of months ago in school we had to read this book called "The Giver" by "Lois Lowry". We had to write an essay on it. The book was ok. It was really weird. It was about a boy who lived in a world where there was no colour, no happiness, no love and no pain. They took tablets to stop love. Also old people get put in a different place altogether and they get euthanised. Anyway the main character called Jonas is elected the Receiver of Memories because all memories of the past are stored in The Giver because for some weird reason they don't want people to know the past but they want to have knowledge of it when they need it. Anyway The Giver (who is actually a person who is very old) gives the memories to Jonas and Jonas learns about the past and realises what he is missing out on. He sets off to go to "Elsewhere" which is anywhere outside the society (in other words there is colour, love, music etc.) and the ending doesn't really make sense. Either he dies or he makes to Elsewhere. It doesn't really say ...

Anyway I'm sure you really enjoyed (not) reading about my book. Sorry to bore you
Sean.J.S. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #162
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis (lead singer from the Chili Peppers).

Very interesting autobiography so far, only read a couple of chapters but it's really good.
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #163
country flag silly kitty

silly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond reputesilly kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post

Griet, the young daughter of a tilemaker in seventeenth century Holland, obtains her first job, as a servant in Vermeer's household. Tracy Chevalier shows us, through Griet's eyes, the complicated family, the society of the small town of Delft, and life with an obsessive genius. Griet loves being drawn into his artistic life, and leaving her former drudgery, but the cost to her own survival may be high.
J read it and watched film...Nice book...
J am reading now Igra andjela-Ljiljana Habjanovic Djurovic
silly kitty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #164
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Lynne Truss - Eats, Shoots and Leaves

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robredo|Smycze k|J. Sousa|Sweeting|Zverev

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #165
country flag Hip-And-Happenin

Hip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond reputeHip-And-Happenin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijn View Post
Lynne Truss - Eats, Shoots and Leaves

I hated that book.
I am currently reading "Past Mortem" by Ben Elton.

Chardy Chiudinelli Copil Gicquel Haase Kamke Moya
Pavel Petzschner Polansky Qureshi Safin
Hip-And-Happenin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote