Jamie 'Stretch' Murray thread - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #151
country flag johnnylad

johnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jamie Murray thread

still waiting on Miami entry

ANDY MURRAY

JAMES WARD
DAN EVANS/ALEX SLABINSKY/ALEX BOGDANOVIC
MORGAN PHILLIPS
JAMIE BAKER/ROSS HUTCHINS
http://www.britishtennis.net
johnnylad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #152
country flag *Sweet4Richard*

*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie and Eric got into Miami, but they have to play Bjorkman/Mirnyi in the first round

(1)BJORKMAN, Jonas (SWE)/MIRNYI, Max (BLR) v BUTORAC, Eric (USA)/MURRAY, Jamie (GBR)
BHUPATHI, Mahesh (IND)/STEPANEK, Radek (CZE) v CERMAK, Frantisek (CZE)/LEVINSKY, Jaroslav (CZE)
BECKER, Benjamin (GER)/WASSEN, Rogier (NED) v KNOWLE, Julian (AUT)/MELZER, Jurgen (AUT)
FERRER, David (ESP)/ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP) v (6)DAMM, Martin (CZE)/PAES, Leander (IND)
*Sweet4Richard* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:12 AM   #153

*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute*Sweet4Richard* has a reputation beyond repute

An article on Jamie from the BBC:

Quote:
Move Over Andy

It is 16 years since mixed doubles duo Jo Durie and Jeremy Bates became the last Britons to grace the roll call of Grand Slam winners.

Ask anyone who is most likely to end Britain's drought and the answer is simple, isn't it? It has to be Andy Murray.

Well, maybe not, because Jamie Murray could yet steal his brother's thunder and stake his claim to become Britain's next Grand Slam champion.

In a meteoric rise similar to that of his younger brother, Jamie, 21, has climbed from outside the top 200 to 43 in the world doubles rankings in less than a year, picking up ATP Tour titles in San Jose and Memphis along the way.

And while Andy battles to break Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal's stranglehold in singles, Jamie has chosen to operate exclusively in the more open doubles arena.

Top-ranked American doubles pairing Bob and Mike Bryan have won four of the last 13 Grand Slams, whereas in singles Federer has won nine and Nadal two.

So should British fans have a flutter on a Jamie Murray Grand Slam victory?

"It could be a good bet," agrees Jamie, who is surprisingly chipper for first thing in Miami. "And you'd probably get some good odds too!

"I've never thought about if I could win a Slam before Andy because either one of us could be first.

"Andy is bordering on the top 10 now so when the Grand Slams come round he is up there amongst the favourites, but in the doubles there is more scope for an upset.

"With Federer and Nadal, when he is on clay, it is more predictable whereas the doubles is more open. The Bryans have dominated but they still lose.

"They are losing more matches than Federer so there is always a chance and I'll be trying my best."

Born just 15 months apart, the Murray brothers' close relationship has helped fuel their rise the top of the British game.

Both were encouraged by mother Judy, a former Scottish national coach, to take up tennis at the same time, when Jamie was four and Andy three.

At the age of 12, Jamie left their Dunblane home for an LTA school in Cambridge, an experience which Andy later furiously claimed "ruined" his brother and convinced him not to make the same mistake.

"It's not true that I was badly treated by the LTA," said Jamie, who admits the experience did disastrously weaken his forehand and leave him disillusioned.

"But what happened to me did influence Andy going to Spain (to train at Barcelona's Sanchez-Casal Academy). He did something different to other British players, it was the basis for him to find his game and it is paying off now."

In turn, Andy's confident rise to the cusp of the world's top 10 has now helped restore Jamie's enthusiasm.

The Scottish siblings try to compete at the same events as much as possible, are occasional doubles partners and Andy's coach Brad Gilbert is happy to share his advice.

When Andy won the singles title in San Jose and Jamie followed suit by claiming the doubles, Andy described it as "the proudest day of my life".

"How well Andy has been doing has helped inspire me to get to the level that he is playing at week in week out," said Jamie, who also shares his younger brother's relaxed drawl.

"Brad helps me out quite a bit and comes to watch my matches. It's good to be able to look up and see Brad Gilbert cheering for you. It's motivating, that's for sure."

A joint Murray brothers Grand Slam is on hold for now while Andy concentrates on the singles, but Jamie plans to reap further rewards from his partnership with American Eric Butorac.

The two "lefties" first played together in Los Angeles in 2006 but became a serious double act - nicknamed "Stretch and Booty" by Gilbert - after the Australian Open.

"Eric and I are working out pretty good," said Murray. "We have good chemistry and plan to play for the rest of the season together.

"I want to get into the world top 10 and play in the Masters Series and the Grand Slams. I've started to get to that level, so it's exciting."

And what about the Grand Slam Murray v Murray wager? "I'll do my best," Jamie signs off with a laugh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6474675.stm
Old 03-24-2007, 03:07 AM   #154
country flag cath777

cath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond reputecath777 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweet4Richard* View Post
Jamie and Eric got into Miami, but they have to play Bjorkman/Mirnyi in the first round

(1)BJORKMAN, Jonas (SWE)/MIRNYI, Max (BLR) v BUTORAC, Eric (USA)/MURRAY, Jamie (GBR)
BHUPATHI, Mahesh (IND)/STEPANEK, Radek (CZE) v CERMAK, Frantisek (CZE)/LEVINSKY, Jaroslav (CZE)
BECKER, Benjamin (GER)/WASSEN, Rogier (NED) v KNOWLE, Julian (AUT)/MELZER, Jurgen (AUT)
FERRER, David (ESP)/ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP) v (6)DAMM, Martin (CZE)/PAES, Leander (IND)
Nasty draw
cath777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #155

Jamie and Eric lost 7-5, 6-0
Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #156
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

it shows they still have lots of work to do to become a world class pair
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #157
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Their first R1 loss!
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #158
country flag JustJames
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

JustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond reputeJustJames has a reputation beyond repute

Great photo

It's a shame that Jamie & Eric couldn't have taken Jonas/Max closer in that match.

Supporting British tennis at: http://www.freewebs.com/britishtennis/
JustJames is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #159
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely adore the photo. Better luck next time, Eric and Jamie

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #160

at those shirts!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #161
country flag johnnylad

johnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylad has a reputation beyond repute

better to win the match with no shirts

ANDY MURRAY

JAMES WARD
MORGAN PHILLIPS
Old 03-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #162
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylad View Post
better to win the match with no shirts
would love to watch that one

Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #163
country flag johnnylad

What do people think of Jamie and Bootie's chances on clay?

ANDY MURRAY

JAMES WARD
MORGAN PHILLIPS
Old 03-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #164
country flag jitterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylad View Post
What do people think of Jamie and Bootie's chances on clay?
I have no idea what tournaments they're going to play at next.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #165
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

So after Jamie and Team GB's victory over Holland, Jamie and Eric are playing Valencia. They face #1 seeds Kohlmann/Lindstedt in the first round.
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote