Germany-Croatia - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will win?

Germany 8 26.67%
Croatia 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #16
country flag revolution

revolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germany-Croatia

good luck to the German team and hope Kiwi can get back fully fit for the tie.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #17
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXneutron View Post
good luck to the German team and hope Kiwi can get back fully fit for the tie.
unsure, but maybe he will get fully fit some time later

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #18
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
I don't deny Ancic can win on clay, at least he did so this season, but it needs a lot more than only one great season on clay with a few quarters or a semi to be called a TOP player on clay.

Well, if you want to play "show me the most pathetic loss of this player" then there would be plenty of links for Ancic's former performances, too
Besides, injuries or sickness can happen to a player always and that's sometimes behind the scoreline.
This season, last season, every season Ancic has better results on clay than on hard courts. You sound like you've never even seen him play on a clay court. You should watch him before making these assumptions. Has it occured to you that a grass player could play better on clay than on hard courts?

Don't just look at the results, look at his game. On a clay court the ball sits up nicely for him and he can strike the ball beautifully off both wings. He is a smart player, he knows how to construct the points and control the rallies on a clay court. For a tall player, he moves extremely well on a clay and hence he can defend better than most players. Because he is a good volleyer, he can finish off the points much more effectively than most players, without worrying about bad bounces or his opponents' speed.

Tommy Haas is rubbish on clay these days and I don't need to show "the most pathetic loss" to proove this. His record, especially over the past 3 years, speaks for itself.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #19
country flag revolution

revolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond reputerevolution has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
This season, last season, every season Ancic has better results on clay than on hard courts. You sound like you've never even seen him play on a clay court. You should watch him before making these assumptions. Has it occured to you that a grass player could play better on clay than on hard courts?

Don't just look at the results, look at his game. On a clay court the ball sits up nicely for him and he can strike the ball beautifully off both wings. He is a smart player, he knows how to construct the points and control the rallies on a clay court. For a tall player, he moves extremely well on a clay and hence he can defend better than most players. Because he is a good volleyer, he can finish off the points much more effectively than most players, without worrying about bad bounces or his opponents' speed.

Tommy Haas is rubbish on clay these days and I don't need to show "the most pathetic loss" to proove this. His record, especially over the past 3 years, speaks for itself.
Was there any need to be so scything and aggressive in that post?

Though I agree Ancic is a underrated clay court player.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #20
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was there any need to be so scything and aggressive in that post?

Though I agree Ancic is a underrated clay court player.
I guess I'm just getting a bit frustrated.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #21
country flag revolution

Quote:
I guess I'm just getting a bit frustrated.
I don't think Neely intended to offend you She's mega sweet.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #22
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
I don't think Neely intended to offend you She's mega sweet.
It's not just Neely, it's everyone in this thread who assumes that grass players only like fast surfaces. If people here were to rank Ancic's best surfaces, this is how they would do it:

1. Grass
2. Carpet
3. Fast Hard
4. Slow Hard
5. Clay

When in reality, it's more like this:

1. Grass
2. Clay
3. Slow Hard
4. Carpet
5. Fast Hard
Old 10-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #23
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute

This year was the only good year Ancic has had on clay in his career.
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 AM   #24
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLjubicic View Post
This year was the only good year Ancic has had on clay in his career.
Not true. He had already beaten the likes of Kuerten and Gonzalez on clay, before this year. The potential was always there.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 AM   #25
country flag RickDaStick

RickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond reputeRickDaStick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not true. He had already beaten the likes of Kuerten and Gonzalez on clay, before this year. The potential was always there.
It is true. Just because he beats Gonzo on clay doesnt mean it was a good season for him on that surface. He's had some good wins but never a good overall year on clay.
RickDaStick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #26
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLjubicic View Post
It is true. Just because he beats Gonzo on clay doesnt mean it was a good season for him on that surface. He's had some good wins but never a good overall year on clay.
Like I said, the potential was always there. Like Federer, he doesn't play many clay tournaments per year but, when he does, he performs very well.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #27
country flag ginnylegend
Banned!

ginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond reputeginnylegend has a reputation beyond repute

My general thought was that a hard court surface would be the best choice for Germany.

Ljubicic is no better than Kiefer or Haas on hard, and they are both capable if they play to their potential of beating Ancic.

Doubles Croatia are fave. It's a tasty tie where Germany have no surface that is really to their advantage.
ginnylegend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #28
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe you can explain me his results of last season on clay were better than on hardcourt.

And to clarify, I don't think he is a bad player on clay, but to call Ancic a TOP player on clay which is in my definition a term maybe reserved to three or four people, that's just something I can't accept unless you are defining as TOP clay players as maybe the best 10 players of last season.
2006 was a better season for Ancic on clay than on hardcourt, 2005 not.

Quote:
I don't deny at all that there is more behind a player's ability on the surface than only the bare results, but how does warning me not only to look at his record and three sentences later saying that Tommy Haas' record on clay is pathetic the last three years to prove your point that Haas is not good on clay go along with each other? Please don't only look at his results then also. It's not that Haas' game would not be good enough for clay to be at least a slightly above average player on it.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 10-04-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote