Which Racket/ General Help - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
country flag matt007

matt007 is on a distinguished road
Default Which Racket/ General Help

Hi All,

I'm in my 30s and have been using a cheap Donnay Challenge racket, however the strings are now a bit wonky and I feel it's time to get a new racket.

Although I have been playing for 6 months I would be classed as a beginner due to my lock of power as I simply get the ball over. I am now playing a better opponent than the one I have played in the past, he serves hard and hits the ball much harder than me but I manage to grab a win by just keeping the ball in play (Even thought he is better at tennis than I am. I want to gradually change this as I will start getting beat very soon. He is 6"3 with a thunderous serve, in rallies I get pushed back and play near the baseline (even thought I don't want to) and find him dictating the play.

I'm a left hander and I seem to be able to hit my 2 handed backhand much harder (and more accurate) than my forehand

I feel my 'keep the ball in play tactics' won't pay off for much longer and therefore I need a new racket that I can start to hit the ball fairly hard and hopefully improve my game.

Any suggestions ?
matt007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
country flag flmmkrz

flmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Racket/ General Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt007
Hi All,

I'm in my 30s and have been using a cheap Donnay Challenge racket, however the strings are now a bit wonky and I feel it's time to get a new racket.

Although I have been playing for 6 months I would be classed as a beginner due to my lock of power as I simply get the ball over. I am now playing a better opponent than the one I have played in the past, he serves hard and hits the ball much harder than me but I manage to grab a win by just keeping the ball in play (Even thought he is better at tennis than I am. I want to gradually change this as I will start getting beat very soon. He is 6"3 with a thunderous serve, in rallies I get pushed back and play near the baseline (even thought I don't want to) and find him dictating the play.

I'm a left hander and I seem to be able to hit my 2 handed backhand much harder (and more accurate) than my forehand

I feel my 'keep the ball in play tactics' won't pay off for much longer and therefore I need a new racket that I can start to hit the ball fairly hard and hopefully improve my game.

Any suggestions ?
yeah hit your pro shop and demo everything. Most good shops wont charge much if at all and despite all the recommendations we could give you, you never know how you're going to like a racquet till you try it out yourself.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
country flag matt007

matt007 is on a distinguished road

If I was to force you though, on the details I have given what should I go for ?
matt007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
country flag zesty_dorito

zesty_dorito is on a distinguished road

Use head or wilson, they're the best rackets around. If you want the best racket for you, you could demo a wilson n-code (preferably six-two), and a head intellingence money-wise, if you dont want to pay 200 for a racket.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
country flag zesty_dorito

zesty_dorito is on a distinguished road

Another thing, try to get your new racket re-stringed in a month or so, because the originals suck. I like Babolat strings the most.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
country flag flmmkrz

flmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond reputeflmmkrz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty_dorito
Use head or wilson, they're the best rackets around. If you want the best racket for you, you could demo a wilson n-code (preferably six-two), and a head intellingence money-wise, if you dont want to pay 200 for a racket.
thats bullshyt you cant say one brands the best nor can you say what the best racket for him. I have used prince, wilson, head, yonex and now babolat and no particular brand is the best they all have frames that I liked and had sticks I couldn't stand. I will say personally speaking I like wilsons least so it really is a personal choice as to what feels good in your hands
Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
country flag Sheek

Sheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond reputeSheek has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to check out this web site. It was very useful for me when I was getting a new racquet.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/lcfrontpage.html
Sheek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 AM   #8
country flag ProStaff

ProStaff is on a distinguished road

Based on details you've given, I would recommend:

Head size: 98-100.
Length: 27.
Weight: around 11 oz.
Balance: 2-4 points head light.

My favorite in this category is "Babolat Pure Storm Team", you can find it for $140 if you look around. Beware of fakes.
ProStaff is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote