Comments on Guga - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
country flag Eden
Team Rogerin :-)

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Comments on Guga

I would love to hear what players, experts and journalists said about Guga. So if you have any comment please share it with us
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comments on Guga

Good thread.

Federer after beating Gonzalez in the 3rd round of Roland Garros in 2005 (he lost to Guga in the same round the year before).

Q. You seem more comfortable on clay than in previous years. Are you doing things differently?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I think Guga was stronger than Gonzalez. That was the difference.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Kafelnikov:

"It's difficult playing from behind with a player like Gustavo all the time."

"You give him freedom, he's like Picasso. He's playing backhand up the line, backhand cross court, doing everything."
Old 10-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
country flag KingGuga'sQueen

KingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond reputeKingGuga'sQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Threlfall (British commentator) said about Guga a few months ago:

"I really miss Guga, everyone misses Guga. The tour isn't the same without him, it'll be so good when he returns."

Awww bless him
KingGuga'sQueen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
country flag Eden

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

"He was really at the top of his form and the crowd was totally behind him. There was nothing I could do," he said.

"He has won this tournament many times, so he deserves everything that the fans give him here. He's a great guy."

Roger Federer after losing to Guga at Roland Garros in 2004

source: http://www.mg.co.za/articledirect.as...rticleid=80331
Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
country flag Eden

Thanks to Shotgun for finding this one

Quote:
Federer on Guga's comeback:

"I'm happy that he's coming back. I just hope he's not coming back to beat me, something that he has already done twice. I haven't seen him for a long time. He took a break, then tried to come back, then went back to South America, tried again, stopped again... When someone like him, a former number one and a multiple Slam champion, tries to come back, we have to give him a chance, we have to trust in his possibilities."

Source: http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/d...t138u30491.htm
Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
country flag shotgun

http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/d...t138u30494.htm

Some more quotes for his thread, players commenting on his comeback.

Rafael Nadal: "I hope he's able to play again at a great level. He's one of the most charismatic players to have appeared in recent years, and I wish him all the best."

David Ferrer: "It's not easy to come back from such a big injury. In my opinion he's a very dangerous player, because he has already shown that with his tennis. I hope he is able to recover and be here again. If he can't be a top 10 or a number 1 again, at least he can still play at a great level."

Soderling has a more realistic view: "He's a great player, a great champion. The great players always have a chance to come back. It depends on his body, if he's healthy he has a good chance, but if he keeps having problems with his body, no."

Berdych: "To Return? If he's in good shape, why not? But in tennis, you never know what is going to happen. He's a bit of a player from the past. Now we can see many young players like Nadal, Djokovic, myself, Murray, Gasquet... so many different players. There isn't anyone with Kuerten's age besides Bjorkman. It's going to be tough for him." (obviously he has forgotten about players such as Calleri, Spadea, Santoro, ToJo, Moya, etc. )
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
country flag brazuca5copas

brazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond reputebrazuca5copas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/d...t138u30494.htm

Some more quotes for his thread, players commenting on his comeback.

Rafael Nadal: "I hope he's able to play again at a great level. He's one of the most charismatic players to have appeared in recent years, and I wish him all the best."

David Ferrer: "It's not easy to come back from such a big injury. In my opinion he's a very dangerous player, because he has already shown that with his tennis. I hope he is able to recover and be here again. If he can't be a top 10 or a number 1 again, at least he can still play at a great level."

Soderling has a more realistic view: "He's a great player, a great champion. The great players always have a chance to come back. It depends on his body, if he's healthy he has a good chance, but if he keeps having problems with his body, no."

Berdych: "To Return? If he's in good shape, why not? But in tennis, you never know what is going to happen. He's a bit of a player from the past. Now we can see many young players like Nadal, Djokovic, myself, Murray, Gasquet... so many different players. There isn't anyone with Kuerten's age besides Bjorkman. It's going to be tough for him." (obviously he has forgotten about players such as Calleri, Spadea, Santoro, ToJo, Moya, etc. )
I don't like Berdych, I think he's too much arrogant for who still is nobody. I don't like his usual behavior, specially in Madrid last year and some days ago when he said a lot of idiot things about spanish people. Berdych said that Guga is a player from the past, but I don't remember he saying the same thing when Agassi, 34 years old, defeat him in Australian Open, and when Agassi, 35 years old, defeat him in US Open.
brazuca5copas is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
country flag shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazuca5copas View Post
I don't like Berdych, I think he's too much arrogant for who still is nobody. I don't like his usual behavior, specially in Madrid last year and some days ago when he said a lot of idiot things about spanish people. Berdych said that Guga is a player from the past, but I don't remember he saying the same thing when Agassi, 34 years old, defeat him in Australian Open, and when Agassi, 35 years old, defeat him in US Open.
Yeah, I mean from my own experience I can say Berdych is not a bad guy, but I don't agree with some of his comments. On this one, not only he said something wrong (about Guga's age), but I also feel he was very disrespectful to Guga and what he represented to tennis. At Berdych's current age, Guga had already won a Slam.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
country flag Eden

Guga will be in the Hall of Fame in July. If you have to say one word about Gustavo Kuerten, what this word would be?

ROGER FEDERER: One word?

Yeah, or more.

ROGER FEDERER: I'd like to say more. I talk a lot. Too much sometimes.

He deserves more.

ROGER FEDERER: Look, Guga for me was one of the great players we have had, maybe one of the greatest we've ever had in South America, particularly Brazil, who is such an emotional country, let's say, with such nice people. I mean, I was lucky enough to play against him at the French Open even where he had his biggest success.
To see him go at the end, you know, was sad because he was such a great asset for the game. He was so well liked by the media, I think, and as well, by fellow players, by fans.
I think he only deserves that honor of being in the Hall of Fame. He really is that good. It's only but normal. I wish him all the best, and I hope in the future we'll see more of him because we need more people like him to stay in the game of tennis.

Source: http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News...-22-March.aspx