The official Nico Lapentti's cheering thread! - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 AM   #376
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The official Nico Lapentti's cheering thread!

hi there folks, sorry for me intruding!

Have to say, what a fantastic first set did Nicolas play tonight against Rafa!

So much better than I expected. I sorrily underrated you guy, I offer my excuses right here.

And just to say... boy your fellow is indeed dropdead GORGEOUS!!!

Better late, than never to have found out, no? :

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #377
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karin!

Yes, Nico is a gorgeous guy, and beside his looks he's also a real sweetie. My sweetest meeting with him was this:

Quote:
I was also in Braunschweig at the challenger and had a really funny chat with him one day. Some weeks before that tournament I wanted to find an ecuadorian paper in the web to keep better "in touch" with him. So I typed in a Spanish-speaking search-engine "diarios ecuadorianos" ->ecuadorian daily paper. The search-engine gave me "diarios ecuaTorianos" (well, I typed the T now big to emphasis it). And after one practice I told him:
"Nico, I don't have a tennis-related, but a language-related question."
"Ok."
"The land is Ecuador with a D, but the adjective is ecuatoriano with a T. Where does the T come from?"
"Hmmmm. Good question.......
hmmmmm.......really good question......"
"I ask it, because I looked for an ecuadorian paper in the web."
"Hmmmm. Good question, cause it's really Ecuador with a D but ecuatoriano with a T........
really good question........I cannot answer."
"Don't mind about it, I will take it as it is."
You could see that he was really thinking about it, in Germany we say "his head was smoking".

I hope you will now keep following him, also when you don't get the possibility to have a look at him for months, because he doesn't get the results to keep him coming into the big tournaments.

favourites in other sports: Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille and Tiago Camilo

A link to positive and encouraging music: K-Love My blog in German
Mikey, you're missed
on a mission
Jelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #378
country flag guille&tati4life

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute

Nico played well, just not good enough to beat Nadal .

Gotta keep up the good form
Old 08-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #379
country flag Sexysova

Sexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond reputeSexysova has a reputation beyond repute

Cincinnati QF - Rafael Nadal def. Nicolas Lapentti 7-6 6-1

MATCH: http://forums.vaidisova-nicole.com/v...hp?p=3882#3882

LAST GAME: http://forums.vaidisova-nicole.com/v...hp?p=3871#3871

NICOLE VAIDISOVA

DJOKOVIC | GASQUET | GULBIS | FEDERER | RODDICK | STEPANEK | OTHER CZECHS

ALL MY TENNIS VIDEOS

Last edited by Sexysova : 08-03-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Sexysova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #380
country flag Nastasie

Nastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
hi there folks, sorry for me intruding!

Have to say, what a fantastic first set did Nicolas play tonight against Rafa!

So much better than I expected. I sorrily underrated you guy, I offer my excuses right here.

And just to say... boy your fellow is indeed dropdead GORGEOUS!!!

Better late, than never to have found out, no? :
When I saw the comments on the poll before the match, I thought, well, these people are obviously either very young or weren't really paying attention around 98/2000. And didn't see his previous matches in this tournament. Then I realised, well, ok, they have a reasonable excuse.

I didn't want to jinx it, because you never know, Nico is 32, very injury prone, so anything could happen, but under normal conditions, I knew he could hold his own against anyone. He has always played smart tennis, and has a very classy touch.

He wasted some chances in that first set, and I think he didn't challenge that volley that landed on the line in the TB because he forgot he could! I may be wrong, but I believe he hadn't played on a CC in a long time, so he had little or no experience with hawk-eye (his reaction when the crowd went crazy after they showed the replay on the screen was priceless!)

But I'm happy that he played such a great tournament, especially because he said in an interview that he would retire this year if he felt he wasn't enjoying himself anymore, having to play qualies, etc. I hope all goes well for him now - no more injuries, plz!
Nastasie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #381
country flag Nastasie

Nastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond reputeNastasie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaiBrasil View Post
Cheers for all the Nico fans, this really made my week

I'm now praying so everyone ends as I'm planning, so I can go to Buenos Aires to watch their ATP tournament and then Nico MUST be there!!!
I hope you get to go and see him! I saw him play Guga in an exho a long time ago, I think in 99 or 2000. They had so much fun, and you call tell they really get along!

And since I'm here, I might as well share a Nico story too (which you probably know, VaiBrasil).

At the Brasil Open this year, Guga played his last ATP match on home soil, and Nico was there watching. Then when Nico went on to play the QF, Guga was there supporting him really enthusiastically. I don't know if the crowd noticed, or if the people there already knew they were friends (probably so), but the entire crowd cheered madly for him as though he were a home player. He ended up winning (after saving match points and playing for almost three hours, of course - typical Nico ). When he was interviewed, he answered the questions in pretty good Portuguese, and said that he was grateful and happy to receive so much support in a foreign country and that he'd never forget that experience. It was so lovely! It's really no wonder he and Guga are such good friends, they're both wonderful people.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:18 AM   #382
country flag Nastasie

Quote:
I was also in Braunschweig at the challenger and had a really funny chat with him one day. Some weeks before that tournament I wanted to find an ecuadorian paper in the web to keep better "in touch" with him. So I typed in a Spanish-speaking search-engine "diarios ecuadorianos" ->ecuadorian daily paper. The search-engine gave me "diarios ecuaTorianos" (well, I typed the T now big to emphasis it). And after one practice I told him:
"Nico, I don't have a tennis-related, but a language-related question."
"Ok."
"The land is Ecuador with a D, but the adjective is ecuatoriano with a T. Where does the T come from?"
"Hmmmm. Good question.......
hmmmmm.......really good question......"
"I ask it, because I looked for an ecuadorian paper in the web."
"Hmmmm. Good question, cause it's really Ecuador with a D but ecuatoriano with a T........
really good question........I cannot answer."
"Don't mind about it, I will take it as it is."
I believe the answer to that is that in Romance languages some adjectives and participles revert to their Latin roots. Like in Portuguese, the verb "sobrevir" (supervene) has the participle/adjective "superveniente", with the prefix in Latin. Same thing with Ecuador and the adjective, whose "T" comes from the Latin "aequator" (it's also Equador --> equatoriano in Portuguese). However, I don't know if there is a rule for this or if it happens more or less arbritarily...

(I'd love to have seen Nico's face giving this some serious thought, though... )

Last edited by Nastasie : 08-03-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I meant prefix, not suffix...
Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #383
country flag Caio_Brasil

Caio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastasie View Post
I hope you get to go and see him! I saw him play Guga in an exho a long time ago, I think in 99 or 2000. They had so much fun, and you call tell they really get along!

And since I'm here, I might as well share a Nico story too (which you probably know, VaiBrasil).

At the Brasil Open this year, Guga played his last ATP match on home soil, and Nico was there watching. Then when Nico went on to play the QF, Guga was there supporting him really enthusiastically. I don't know if the crowd noticed, or if the people there already knew they were friends (probably so), but the entire crowd cheered madly for him as though he were a home player. He ended up winning (after saving match points and playing for almost three hours, of course - typical Nico ). When he was interviewed, he answered the questions in pretty good Portuguese, and said that he was grateful and happy to receive so much support in a foreign country and that he'd never forget that experience. It was so lovely! It's really no wonder he and Guga are such good friends, they're both wonderful people.
a shame he lost in the semi-final, a title there would be perfect
Caio_Brasil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #384
country flag Jule81

Jule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond reputeJule81 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I'm happy that he played such a great tournament, especially because he said in an interview that he would retire this year if he felt he wasn't enjoying himself anymore, having to play qualies, etc. I hope all goes well for him now - no more injuries, plz!
when did he say that? it´s the first time i hear about him talking about retiring and i don´t really like that !

* SOARES * M. LOPEZ * VERDASCO * SIMON *
* ARMANDO * HARTFIELD * GAUDIO * ROBREDO *
Jule81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #385
country flag Nastasie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jule81 View Post
when did he say that? it´s the first time i hear about him talking about retiring and i don´t really like that !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9tB83vrE8

My comprehension of spoken Spanish is not great, but Nico's Spanish is pretty easy to get, and he said in this interview that he was not happy playing challengers and qualies and having to just keep going after points, and now he's more motivated to keep going this year and next year. After that, he would think about it, but as I understood it, it all depends on staying injury-free and having the necessary ranking to get into the main draw in the big tournaments, to be able to play big matches, on CCs, like he did in Rome and Barcelona (he said it had been 4 or 5 years since he had last played matches like that, so I guess I was right about this). It's obvious he doesn't want to do the challengers/qualies thing anymore, so I hope he stays healthy and keeps playing well. He also said he has no points to defend in the second semester, so that helps a lot.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #386
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I saw the comments on the poll before the match, I thought, well, these people are obviously either very young or weren't really paying attention around 98/2000. And didn't see his previous matches in this tournament. Then I realised, well, ok, they have a reasonable excuse.
Hi Nastasie - yes, I now understand... I've been following tennis for a very long time, but have to admit that indeed, during that period, I lost track for a while. So he sort-of flew under the radar for me. But it's always nice to be pleasantly surprised by a player, and here I was again!

Quote:
I didn't want to jinx it, because you never know, Nico is 32, very injury prone, so anything could happen, but under normal conditions, I knew he could hold his own against anyone. He has always played smart tennis, and has a very classy touch.
32 years of age... astonishing . Of course, him having had quite a few injuries during his career may have contributed that he's still out there. I'd really like to see more of him and wish him all the best with upcoming tournaments - and I promise that I'll keep an eye on him.

Quote:
No retirement yet, Mr. Lapentti! We need still need your hotness... if only to derail GM match threads with pictures.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #387
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Weeeeell, my comprehension of spoken Spanish obviously depends on who it speaks. I gave up very fast watching that video because it's really hard for me to understand him here in that situation. If he talked slowlier, I would probably understand it better, but this is (at least at the first hearing) waaaaaaaaaay to fast.

Mikey, you're missed
on a mission
Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #388
country flag guille&tati4life

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute

Our forum is finally busy
Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #389
country flag Jelena

That's true. I admit I wasn't here for a loooong time.

Mikey, you're missed
on a mission
Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #390
country flag Nastasie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Weeeeell, my comprehension of spoken Spanish obviously depends on who it speaks. I gave up very fast watching that video because it's really hard for me to understand him here in that situation. If he talked slowlier, I would probably understand it better, but this is (at least at the first hearing) waaaaaaaaaay to fast.
I had to listen to some parts a couple of times. But it's usually much harder for me to understand Spanish than it was here - Argentines and Chileans talk really fast, and European Spanish (+Catalan and dialects) is practically impossible.

I have to admit I lurked here every once in a while, mostly to see the pictures. But then I only started posting recently on MTF.