Del Potro's News and Articles - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #166
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Del Potro's News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Maybe he will be partying
He is a young guy - so I think there is no doubt of that! And good for him

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #167
country flag maria87

maria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond repute

from Davis Cup site

A star is born
The Intersport Arena of Linz was witness to the birth of a new star in tennis on Sunday: 18-year-old Juan-Martin Del Potro.

Argentina 2-0 up after Friday

Argentina came to Linz with their 2006 final loss to Russia in Moscow still in mind, and to renew their quest for the Davis Cup trophy.

This Davis Cup by BNP Paribas first round tie against Austria started off in the best manner for Argentina as the South Americans went 2-0 up on Friday without dropping a set. In the first rubber Stefan Koubek played a threatening first set before collapsing to Jose “Chucho” Acasuso. It was then the turn of Guillermo “Willy” Canas to take to the court versus the Austrian leader Jurgen Melzer.

The bookmakers had both teams at one point apiece on Friday night, but Canas saw it differently as he punished Melzer in straight sets to give his team a commanding lead ahead of the doubles. The Argentinean also used the tie to make his Davis Cup return following his ban for a positive drug test in February 2005.

Austrian chances kept alive with doubles

On Saturday, Argentina lined up Acasuso and Prieto, an experienced doubles team, but not as experienced as Melzer-Julian Knowles combination. The two Austrians, captained by Alexander Peya who had to jump in for an ill Gilbert Schaller, beat the Argentines in four sets, and kept their team and their country alive in tie.

Schaller was back on Sunday but it was Acasuso’s turn to sit a match out, as he was replaced by the 18-year-old rookie Del Potro. The Argentinean hopeful had a lot of pressure on his shoulders but was eventually able come up with the goods, playing an aggressive and ambitious fifth set to defeat Melzer and seal Argentina’s victory.

The final rubber, a dead one, was played between Canas and part-time captain Peya. Canas came out the victor, 46 61 64.

”Thrilled” with Del Potro’s performance

“We are very happy with the result, and obviously thrilled with Juan Martin Del Potro’s performance, he had a tough match versus Melzer and he did extremely well. Now we are going to celebrate a little bit and then we will start thinking about Sweden,” said a relieved Argentine captain Alberto Mancini.

“We are very disappointed, but Argentina proved that they are a very good team with a lot of depth,” Schallar said. “We now have to look ahead to an extremely important Play-off match in September to stay in the World Group.”

So Argentina advances to the quarters and Mancini is going to have his eyes trained on all the Swedish players from now on, in order to prepare his strategy for another challenge that he is surely going to want to take on.

Austria will have to wait until 11 April to find out who they will face off in September for the Play-off tie that could allow them to stay in the 16-nation elite.

But Juan-Martin Del Potro stole the show this weekend, and people will remember that on Sunday February 11, a star was born in Linz.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #168
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an audio interview in English.

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/media...C_7404_mp3.MP3

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #169
country flag Patxy

Patxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond reputePatxy has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, Argentina
Patxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #170
country flag reiko

reiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond reputereiko has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it might be interesting to go back in time a little bit and found this article from February last year, when he was just about to face Gonzales in Vina del Mar.

Quote:
Del Potro y su desafío con González: "Las chances de ganar las tiene él"

Con sólo 17 años, la promesa del tenis argentino protagonizará el partido estelar de este jueves en el Movistar Open ante el número uno de Chile, contra quien asegura no tener "nada que perder".

Por Héctor Parraguirre J., enviado especial a Viña del Mar

El argentino Juan Martín del Potro ha tenido un ascenso meteórico en el circuito ATP. Empezó la temporada 2004 en el puesto 1.047 y hoy con sólo 17 años ya está en el 159° lugar. Con esos antecedentes y con el peso de ser considerado la promesa del tenis de su país, se apresta a desafiar este jueves nada menos que al número uno de Chile, Fernando González (14°), en octavos de final del Movistar Open, un duelo para que el reconoció que las apuestas no están a su favor.

"Es mi primer ATP, nunca había jugado uno, pude ganar en primera ronda y ahora me toca Fernando, que es un top ten (N. de la R: no ha sido top ten todavía%), es local, va a jugar con toda la gente a su favor", comentó el trasandino, quien es consciente de que a posibilidad de un triunfo es mínima.

"Las chances de ganar las tiene él, yo voy a tratar de hacer el mejor partido posible. Obviamente voy a entrar a ganar como todos los partidos, pero no tengo nada que perder, por lo que al menos voy a tratar de dar un buen espectáculo a la gente y que no sea fácil para él", manifestó.

En territorio nacional precisamente Del Potro ha construido gran parte de su impresionante avance. El año pasado ganó dos futuros seguidos en Chile y llegó a cuartos en un tercero. Ahora en Viña del Mar, el joven argentino ya dejó en el camino al español Albert Portas (117°), aunque sabe que el choque con González es de mayor magnitud.

"No cualquiera con 17 años juega en la cancha central con el favorito local. Tengo que jugar suelto, por ahí no voy a poder hacerlo por los nervios que implica jugar contra un top ten en su país, en un estadio lleno, a lo que no estoy acostumbrado, porque sólo he jugado challengers", señaló.

"Soy la promesa de Argentina"

Del Potro comentó a Cooperativa.cl las expectativas que ha generado al otro lado de la cordillera su irrupción en el tenis profesional, y no tuvo complejos en asumir su condición de "promesa".

"Es una presión linda, que tengo que usarla como motivación para tener mejores resultados. Soy la promesa del tenis argentino, pero eso no implica que sólo por eso vaya a ganar partidos. Pero si dicen que soy promesa es por algo y tengo que trabajar mucho para confirmar eso en la cancha", sostuvo.

Aparte de su talento natural, Del Potro atribuye sus progresos al esfuerzo desplegado en las prácticas, que le permitió despegarse de otros jugadores de su generación, como el chileno Marcos Lincoñir.

"De chiquitos, hasta los 14 años, jugábamos los mismos torneos y con Lincoñir y otro par más estábamos parejos. La diferencia fue el trabajo que hice en los entrenamientos y la oportunidad que me dieron de jugar primero los futuros y luego los challengers y aprovechar esos momentos, que cuando tenía que estar bien lo estuve. Ahora tengo la oportunidad de jugar ATP y hay que aprovecharla también", explicó el trasandino, quien aclaró que su desarrollo se debe a una apuesta personal.

"La federación (argentina) nunca me apoyó. Fue con el esfuerzo de mi familia y hoy con de mi entrenador (Marcelo Gómez) que he podido salir adelante. De chiquito cuando las opciones económicas no eran las mejores ellos estuvieron y luego fueron mis entrenadores lo que me enseñaron a jugar al tenis", indicó.

Luego de su participación en Viña del Mar, Del Potro disputará su segundo ATP en forma consecutiva, ya que fue beneficiado con un wild card en Buenos Aires. Después irá a buscar en las clasificaciones un cupo en Costa do Sauipe (Brasil) y Acapulco (México). (Cooperativa.cl)

Another saying from the same time (before Gonzalez match). The link is not available any more, though:
Quote:
A domar a Del Potro
"Será una experiencia muy buena y tengo que aprovecharla. ¿Cómo se le gana? No tengo idea. Es primera vez que voy a jugar con un top ten (N. de la R. González está 14°), pero estoy ciento por ciento, y si juego mi mejor tenis y él tiene un mal día, por ahí tengo una chance"
reiko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #171
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler View Post
Here is an audio interview in English.

http://www.daviscup.com/shared/media...C_7404_mp3.MP3
Thanks for that.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #172
country flag maria87

maria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond repute

here is a video with the interview on TV where he was crying...it is on the right of the page

http://www.tycsports.com/
Old 02-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #173
country flag alsace

alsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond reputealsace has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for keeping us so well informed on this wonderful day for Juan Martín! The reports, articles, video clips were much appreciated. And a special thank you to maria87, who did such a spectacular job. When I saw the tears in Juanma's eyes, I just wanted to hug him! I do think he will be able to just enjoy his tennis and not be overwhelmed by the attention heading his way. He seems mentally so well prepared. But now he will need to work on his fitness... he looks like a teenage boy who is still growing! My goodness, what if he gets even taller?
alsace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #174
country flag maria87

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsace View Post
Thank you all for keeping us so well informed on this wonderful day for Juan Martín! The reports, articles, video clips were much appreciated. And a special thank you to maria87, who did such a spectacular job. When I saw the tears in Juanma's eyes, I just wanted to hug him! I do think he will be able to just enjoy his tennis and not be overwhelmed by the attention heading his way. He seems mentally so well prepared. But now he will need to work on his fitness... he looks like a teenage boy who is still growing! My goodness, what if he gets even taller?
you are welcome, alsace! i enjoyed doing it!

i forgot to translate the interview: he was so touched that he couldn't almost talk and said "all is for the team, they supported me a lot, when Mancini told me i was going to play, i couldn't sleep till 3am, it was my dream coming true...For one moment when Meltzer broke me when i was serving for the match, i though on Mathieu when he lost the match against Russia (2002) at same point but fortunatelly nothing like this happens!...I am so happy, all for the team and Argentina..." He was very humble and nice!

about the fitness, you are right, but he himself has already said that this one of his weakness and he has to work on it hard in the next time.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #175
country flag fightclubber

fightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond reputefightclubber has a reputation beyond repute

jUAN AND THE ARGENTINE TEAM ARRIVED TO BUENOS AIRES. I JUST SAW ON TV A SMALL INTERVIEW THAT CALLED HIM THE HERO OF DC CUP! HE WAS EMOTIONED AND THANKED FOR THE RESPONSABILITY AND HE WAS HAPPY TO WIN THE MATCH

CHANNEL 13 SHOWED IT SO... HOPE SOMEONE CAN TAPE IT
SILVY

ROGER FEDERER

Marco Chiudinelli

NovakDjokovic

CarlosMoya MaratSafin JuanMartinDelPotro RichardGasquet TomasBerdych
fightclubber is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #176
country flag lau

lau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond repute

I just watched that one too Silvy

EDIT: An article from Ole. I post it in Spanish here in case I don´t find it later I´ll post the translation tonight, half of the work is done.
His quotes are from Austria, after he won his match.
The article says he´s leaving Tandil on Friday to go to US for the hard court tournaments.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007.../01362610.html

DEL POTRO DESPUES DEL DEBUT SOÑADO
"Este fue el mejor viaje de egresados"

No fue a Bariloche, pero sí a Linz, donde le dio el triunfo a la Argentina. A los 18, ya conoce 25 países.

EZEQUIEL IRIBARREN eiribarren@ole.com.ar

Juan Martín Del Potro sabe lo que es viajar. Gracias al tenis, ya andaba por Italia a los 14 y hoy, cuatro años después, conoce 25 países. India, Japón y Bermuda, entre otros, por nombrar sólo los menos tradicionales. Sin embargo, por culpa del tenis, no pudo hacer un viaje mucho más corto y tradicional: el de egresados. Delpo terminó la secundaria en diciembre y a la hora de armar el tour a Bariloche con sus compañeros, debió bajarse para ir a jugar a Adelaida. Mal allá no le fue porque alcanzó la semi, su mejor producción en el circuito ATP. El pibe, de 18 años, estaba dejando el colegio hace dos meses y el domingo le dio el punto decisivo a Argentina contra Austria, en Linz, para avanzar a los cuartos de la Copa Davis. Fue una semana de ensueño para el tandilense, que recibió su primera convocatoria, concretó su debut y aprobó el examen con un triunfo clave. "Este fue el mejor viaje de egresados. ¡Ni hablar! Me faltaron 15 ó 20 amigos, pero bueno... ¡Me vine de viaje de egresados a Austria!", bromeó con Olé, el día después del gran día.

Del Potro, también por el tenis, hizo los últimos cuatro años del polimodal en el Ceade, una escuela de educación a distancia. "Me fue muuuy bien. Promedio diez. Te juro. Muy buen promedio", afirma. Dice que es bueno en geografía, lengua e historia y muy flojo en matemáticas. "Por eso en los partidos alguien de afuera me tiene que llevar el marcador", sigue jugando. Le gustaría estudiar arquitectura, aunque no sabe si podrá.

El tenis le llegó a los siete años. Jugaba al fútbol en Independiente de Tandil ("De 5 o de 8", explica), pero una vez agarró una raqueta y se enganchó. Su primer profesor, Marcelo Gómez, aún trabaja con él. Su ídolo de chico era Sampras y siente admiración por Safin. Pistol debutó en la Davis a los 20, y perdió con el francés Leconte; Marat lo hizo a los 18, como Juan, y también cayó.

En su casa lo esperan papá Daniel y mamá Patricia. "¿Lo primero que voy a hacer allá? Asado con familia y amigos; tal vez una noche amorosa... con mi novia, obvio", cuenta, y agrega: "Supongo que recién cuando llegue voy a darme cuenta de lo que logré". El pasaje lo selló él con su victoria en cinco sets sobre Jurgen Melzer.

Tandil lo tendrá sólo tres días. El viernes se embarcará hacia Estados Unidos para jugar los torneos de Memphis, Las Vegas, Indian Wells y Miami. Otra vez a pensar en su carrera. "En el vestuario ayer (por el domingo) le decía a mi preparador físico: gané el mejor partido de mi carrera y no voy a subir nada en el ranking. Pero esto me va a sumar mucho, me dará más confianza en mí y le generará más dudas a mis rivales, Pero no puedo relajarme porque, de última, sólo gané un partido", advierte. Tiene razón, pero qué partido importante.

Delpo sueña con estar contra Suecia, del 6 al 8 de abril: "Quizá este triunfo me dé chances. Pero vuelve David... Acasuso es un indiscutido porque dejó todo por la Copa, y eso hay que tenerlo en cuenta; Cañas jugó increíble... Si me toca estar, bien; si no, alentaré desde afuera".

LINZ (ENVIADO ESPECIAL).

CRISTIAN ELSESER. PF de Del Potro.
Aspira a ser número uno

Juan está en edad de pleno desarrollo y el objetivo para este año es apuntalarlo en lo físico. La idea es que esté preparado para hacer cinco sets durante varios partidos y con la misma intensidad. Apuntaremos al tren inferior, a mejorar mucho sus piernas para que sea más explosivo. Juan viene haciendo un tratamiento de fortalecimiento de las piernas desde los 11 años, por su altura. Creo que seguirá creciendo y es el momento en el cual se le pueden incorporar cosas.

Arrancó una preparación seria hace rato, hasta con nutricionista. Aspira a ser número uno. Tiene potencial y muy buena actitud hacia el trabajo. Es un fórmula uno: hay que cuidarlo, educarlo, llevarlo de a poco, porque es joven y la del tenista es una carrera dura, en la cual los pequeños detalles pueden hacer la diferencia.

Last edited by lau : 02-13-2007 at 05:26 PM.
lau is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #177
country flag maria87

i miss it, Silvy!

thanks for the report

and thanks, lau, for the article
Old 02-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #178
country flag maria87

I like to see he is studying hard: he said he had very good average in Geography, Language and History...and not so good in Math (i was always hated Math! ... and i like so much too he say he wants to study to be an architect!

anyway, he doesn't know if he could do it someday. Sometimes i think the tennis life is so hard: yes, they know a lot of countries but so many times just hotels and tennis courts, yes they can earn a lot of money but they miss a lot of things too
Old 02-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #179
country flag tereb_gc

tereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond reputetereb_gc has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you maria... the tennis player's life must be very tough.... they must spend most of their time alone, or training... they can'd be with their family, friends.............. damn hard!
tereb_gc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #180
country flag maria87

another good article on La Nacion about the victory. They said the key was serenety and concentration.

Serenidad y concentración, las claves de la victoria

LINZ, Austria (De un enviado especial).– Inolvidable desde donde se lo mire, Juan Martín del Potro tuvo su bautismo de fuego en la Davis con la misión de eemplazar a José Acasuso y darle a la Argentina el punto crucial ante Austria. Y lo consiguió con un triunfo sobre Jürgen Melzer por 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4, 4-6 y 6-2, en una batalla de 3h26m.

En su debut absoluto, Del Potro jugó con madurez y serenidad ante un adversario irregular, que alternó toques de calidad con errores increíbles, acaso perturbado por los nervios y por la obligación de ganar para igualar la serie. La principal virtud de Del Potro estuvo en la serenidad que mostró en los momentos decisivos. Después de repartirse los primeros dos parciales –seguro el argentino con su saque en el primero, contundente el austríaco en el segundo–, Del Potro empezó a inclinar el encuentro en su favor con un quiebre decisivo en el décimo game del tercer parcial. Melzer hizo un último esfuerzo al obtener el cuarto parcial.

Pero en el set decisivo, cuando daba la impresión de que la falta de experiencia podía pesarle, Del Potro exhibió convicción y concentración. Sacó una rápida ventaja de 5-1 y tuvo su saque para cerrar el encuentro, pero en el primer match-point Melzer acertó con una volea perfecta; en el segundo, sobre el servicio del austríaco, el tandilense presionó y se aseguró un éxito con un sabor único.

2 los partidos de cinco sets que jugó Del Potro

Some translation
: It was unforgettable the start of Del Potro playing Davis Cup and giving the decisive point to Argentina. He played with mature serenity in front of an adversary that combined touches of high quality tennis with big mistakes, maybe perturbed by nervous and the necessity of the win. The main virtue of Del Potro was the serenity he showed during the the decisive moments of the match....Especially during the decisive set, when all we could expect that his lack of experience would be a problem, Del Potro showed conviction and concentration to play. He quickly got a good score of 5-1 but then when he was serving for the match a perfect volley of Meltser made him lost the serve. But after then, the "tandilense" could put the pressure over his adversary and secured the success that will be unique for him.

Last edited by maria87 : 02-13-2007 at 06:14 PM.
maria87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote