Del Potro's News and Articles - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Del Potro's News and Articles

This is JMDP's News and Articles Thread!!!

The kid is already making waves in the ATP Tour and the press has noticed him.

This is the place to post all news, interviews and articles related to Juan Martín.

Last edited by Hendu : 09-28-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Hendu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
country flag PoderShileno

PoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond reputePoderShileno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Del Potro's News and Articles

Old 09-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
country flag Hendu

Hendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond reputeHendu has a reputation beyond repute

Del Potro shocks Moya

Unseeded Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro sent Spanish fifth seed Carlos Moya packing 6-3 6-2 in the first round of the inaugural ATP Mumbai Open on Tuesday.

Potro, who turned 18 on Saturday, dispatched the former French Open champion in just over an hour for what was easily the biggest victory of his career.

Moya, ranked 43rd in the world, is a favourite in India where he has won the Chennai Open twice and finished runner-up to Croatian Ivan Ljubicic in January.

But he made too many errors as the 1.95-metre Potro, ranked 106 in the world, pounded him with big serves and powerful strokes.

"It's a very big win as he is a big-calibre player and one of my heroes," Potro told reporters through an interpreter.

"Obviously it gives me a lot of confidence to go on in the tournament."

"I played on his backhand because he likes to move around on his forehand," said Potro, who added that he was playing his first Tour event on hard court. All his previous tournaments were on clay.

"I had an off day," said Moya. "I was just not hitting well."

"He hits the ball very hard. I think he has a bright future."

Stefan Koubek of Austria beat seventh seeded Argentine Juan Monaco 7-6 6-4 in the day's other upset. Eighth seed Wesley Moodie of South Africa downed Indian wildcard Rohan Bopanna 3-6 7-6 6-4.

Link
Old 09-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sp/spt/4221804.html

El argentino Juan Martín del Potro no pudo con el agobiante calor y abandonó en el segundo set su partido con el paraguayo Ramón Delgado por los octavos de final del Abierto de Mumbai.Del Potro, quien acaba de cumplir los 18 años y venía de ganarle al ex número uno del mundo Carlos Moyá, perdía 6-3, 4-1 cuando se vio afectado por una molestia estomocal provocada por la extrema humedad. El argentino vomitó a un costado de la cancha. La humedad en esta metrópolis del oeste de India llegó a estar sobre el 70% durante el día.

TRANSLATION:-

Argentine Juan Martin del Potro was unable to deal with the extreme heat and had to abandon his match in the second set against Ramon Delgado in Mumbai. Del Potro, who has just reached 18 years and overcame former World Number 1 Carlos Moya in the previous round, was trailing 3-6, 1-4 when he was affected by a stomach problem caused by the extreme humidity. The Argentine vomited on the side of the court. The humidity in the Western Indian city is around 70% during the day.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 09-29-2006 at 12:10 PM.
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
country flag Enjoy Incubus

Enjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond repute

Thx for this info Rosie, quite important for us
Old 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

From the front page of the ATP site today:

Del Potro Stuns Ginepri; Henman Next

Argentine teenager Juan Martin Del Potro (pictured) stands on the verge of a place in the Top 100 in the INDESIT ATP Rankings following a 6-2, 6-2 second round victory over seventh-seeded Robby Ginepri at the AIG Japan Open Tennis Championships on Tuesday.

Del Potro, who reached the Umag quarterfinals (l. to Wawrinka) in July and has won two ATP Challenger circuit title in Aguascalientes and Segovia this season, will next meet No. 10 seed Tim Henman.

Henman knocked out Canadian Frank Dancevic 6-2, 6-1 in his first visit to Tokyo since 1998. The 32-year-old Briton made his ATP debut as a qualifier at the tournament 12 years ago, falling in the third round to Pete Sampras.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Henman: "I have fond memories of Tokyo because it is here in 1994 that I qualified for my first ATP main draw event, won two rounds and played against Sampras on the Centre Court. I wanted to play the Asian tour again last year but I had the back injury and I had to pull out."

Del Potro: "I served very well today and that took pressure off me. [Ginepri] gave me a couple of opportunities and I took them. I like to play on these courts, hard is my favorite surface."

On his next opponent: "I was playing against Henman on the PlayStation last year and now I meet him for real on a tennis court! I am looking forward to that."

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Here is a short article from today's Clarins http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/10...es/d-06601.htm

Interestingly it says that Juan WILL be at the Madrid Masters for qualifying - which either means there are an awful lot more withdrawals than we know about - or all the rumours of him getting a quallie Wild Card there are correct after all

Old 10-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
country flag Hendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Here is a short article from today's Clarins http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/10...es/d-06601.htm

Interestingly it says that Juan WILL be at the Madrid Masters for qualifying - which either means there are an awful lot more withdrawals than we know about - or all the rumours of him getting a quallie Wild Card there are correct after all
It says "jugaría", which is potential... so, we will see what happens.

He would play Madrid, and then some challengers.

Anyway, good news.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
It says "jugaría", which is potential... so, we will see what happens.

He would play Madrid, and then some challengers.

Anyway, good news.
Thanks- I get my "jugara" and "jugaria" mixed up!!! Potentially he must be pretty sure of playing though, as I assume he must be hanging around in Europe waiting - no point in being told on Friday that he has to play in Madrid on Saturday if he is already back in Argentina

Old 10-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
country flag Hendu

Quote:
Thanks- I get my "jugara" and "jugaria" mixed up!!! Potentially he must be pretty sure of playing though, as I assume he must be hanging around in Europe waiting - no point in being told on Friday that he has to play in Madrid on Saturday if he is already back in Argentina
Well, actually you mixed up "jugaría" with "jugará" (without the stress it has another meaning...).

Isn't Spanish and its verbal tenses beautiful?

Rose, here are all the tenses concerning the verb "jugar". Link To tell you the truth, I mostly forgot the names of the tenses just after I finished highshool.
Considering my mediocre English, I can't imagine what I would do if I had to learn Spanish as a second language.

About Del Potro, what you say makes sense, and I hope he gets a good draw if he is successful in the quallies.

Last edited by Hendu : 10-10-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyCañas View Post
Well, actually you mixed up "jugaría" with "jugará" (without the stress it has another meaning...).

Isn't Spanish and its verbal tenses beautiful?

Rose, here are all the tenses concerning the verb "jugar". Link To tell you the truth, I mostly forgot the names of the tenses just after I finished highshool.
Considering my mediocre English, I can't imagine what I would do if I had to learn Spanish as a second language.

About Del Potro, what you say makes sense, and I hope he gets a good draw if he is successful in the quallies.
Your English is not mediocre - it's great I only studied Spanish for 2 years at High School, and what I learnt from then on was through teaching myself and also the fact that I spent a couple of years dating an Argentine guy..........but his English was excellent and I am lazy so we conversed mainly in English!!! Thanks for the link - I will do my best to get it right in future

As for del Potro - he is on the Entry List for the Aachen Challenger the same week as Paris Bercy Masters - so he must be planning to stay in Europe for a while longer.

Last edited by *Ljubica* : 10-10-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
country flag Hendu

Quote:
Your English is not mediocre - it's great I only studied Spanish for 2 years at High School, and what I learnt from then on was through teaching myself and also the fact that I spent a couple of years dating an Argentine guy..........but his English was excellent and I am lazy so we conversed mainly in English!!! Thanks for the link - I will do my best to get it right in future

As for del Potro - he is on the Entry List for the Aachen Challenger the same week as Paris Bercy Masters - so he must be planning to stay in Europe for a while longer.
Hey, I didn't give you the link for you to study, but to show the million verbal tenses that the Spanish language has.

As for Del Potro's schedule talking, didn't you want to create a thread for that purpose?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
country flag Enjoy Incubus

Enjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond reputeEnjoy Incubus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It´s true, and he isn´t playing 42 & 43 weeks SouthAmerican challengers, then i guess he would be playing in Europe till the end of the year.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #14
country flag Vale

Vale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond reputeVale has a reputation beyond repute

I came accross this article I know you´ll enjoy:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...BCN4044108.htm

Keep your eye on Juan Martin del Potro

By Scott Riley, Tennis Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - It's always interesting to talk about the up-and-coming players on the men's tour, so why don't we do just that this week by hyping up a tall Argentine teenager by the name of Juan Martin del Potro.

With the exception of 6-foot-3ish guys like Jose Acasuso and Juan Ignacio Chela, you typically don't see too many tall Argentines on the men's circuit, but del Potro breaks that mold by coming in at a towering 6-foot-5.

Argentina's best-ever player to date was sub-6-footer Guillermo Vilas, who the ATP lists at 5-foot-11, but I can assure you that Willy, although a great, great champion, is by no stretch of the imagination just one inch shy of six feet.

But let's get back to our story.

Most of the recent successful Argentine stars have all fallen under the 6-foot mark, including Tennis Masters Cup champion David Nalbandian, 2004 French Open champ Gaston Gaudio, 2005 Roland Garros runner-up Mariano Puerta, '04 French Open finalist Guillermo Coria, Mariano Zabaleta, Agustin Calleri, Guillermo Canas, etc.

The lanky 172-pound del Potro is not only very tall, but possesses a big game that is starting to leave its mark on the ATP. The rising teen has won eight matches in 10 ATP-level events so far this season (at the time of this article), with his biggest wins coming against his countryman Chela in Stuttgart in July, versus former world No. 1 Carlos Moya in India two weeks ago and against 2005 U.S. Open semifinalist Robby Ginepri in Tokyo just last week. Simply put, he's beaten the likes of Ginepri and Moya in his last two events. His best tournament progress result so far came in the form of a quarterfinal appearance in Croatia in July.

On the Challenger circuit (tennis' minor leagues) this year, "JMdP" owns a pair of titles, with the victories coming in Spain in July and Mexico back in April. He topped rising German Benjamin Becker in a finale in Segovia and bested his fellow Argentine Sergio Roitman in a title bout in Aguascalientes (which is Spanish for "hot waters," thank you very much). Becker, of course, is the man that ended Andre Agassi's legendary career last month with a stunning third-round win at the U.S. Open.

Del Potro, who turned 18 just last month, hails from Tandil, which isn't far from the main Argentine hub that is Buenos Aires. The aforementioned Zabaleta also hails from Tandil, as does former quality ATP player Guillermo Pérez- Roldán.

Currently ranked 99th in the world, del Potro is the youngest player in the top 100, after finishing last year as the youngest player in the top 200. "J- Mart" entered the '06 campaign at No. 159 on the planet after turning pro last year.

Unlike most 18-year-olds, del Potro's already earned close to $130,000 this year. And unlike most of his Argentine countrymen, he prefers hardcourts over clay.

Go figure.

I've only seen del Potro in limited action this year, but he looks like a sure-fire top-20 performer and should give the Gauchos their best player off clay outside of Nalbandian in the very near future.
Vale is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #15
country flag Hendu

Thanks Vale

"J-Mart"... please, no!