Is this an injury? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
country flag jimmy157

jimmy157 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this an injury?

Alright, I'm new to tennis. I've been playing a few months, I'm 23, and I think I migth have an injury--and what a lame one it is.

After a few minutes of playing both my big toes really start to hurt. It seems like the skin around the nail is being pushed really hard against the nail. It specially hurts on the outside (where the two big toes face each other) more than any other place.

As the match/practice progresses it gets worse. It really starts to do a number on my acceleration and it becomes increadibly painfull to go up to the net.

I feel lame that this is my first 'injury'--if you can call it that, but its something I'd like to take care of.

I assume the first thing most will suggest are better shoes. If this is what you suggest, then please let me know if there is any type or feature in the shoe I should be looking for to help with this problem.

Any other non-shoe related advice is also appreciated.

Thanks
jimmy157 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this an injury?

Yes, a pretty dumb injury, but a nagging bitch nontheless. When looking for new shoes look for ones that allow you to run fast and change directions quickly while your foot stays in place in the shoe. IE, it doesnt move to the extremes of the shoe when turning. It always stays put.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
country flag jstout

jstout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this an injury?

There is one condition called "Tennis Toe" that my father has suffered from. When running the big toe hits a part of the shoe and this causes quite a bit of pain. The toe will turn black/blue mostly under the nail and eventually the toenail will fall completely off.

The cure is simple, properly sized shoes. Your tennis shoes should have a thumb widths room from the toe to the end of you shoe to stop this injury. Also your shoes for tennis should have extra support at the toe and heel areas.
jstout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote