What was the WCT? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default What was the WCT?

I was browsing through the ATP vault when I saw there were two tournaments at the same time in Sweden 1972: Stockholm Open and a Gothenburg WCT. So might I be so bold as to ask what the WCT was and also what the tour was called back then since it wasn't the ATP tour? If you don't mind a newbie asking that is. Humbly grateful for an answer.

Last edited by Aphex : 02-15-2004 at 05:28 AM.
Aphex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Aphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond reputeAphex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the WCT?

lol. no answer. back to the top.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ok, George WH told me the WCT was the precursor to the ATP tour. But what does WCT stand for, World Champion Tennis?; and what was the name of the main tour back then? How did the majors fit in the mix?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:05 AM   #4
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

hehe this thread will never die.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:55 PM   #5
Jem

Jem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond repute

WCT -- World Championship Tennis -- was founded by Dallas oil magnate Lamar Hunt in the 1970s. It was the first big money tour for the men. Aside from Forest Hills in 1971, WCT was my first introduction to tennis, as their tournaments were televised frequently. If I remember correctly, play was set up in three divisions -- in the U.S., Europe and elsewhere. The folks with the highest point totals advanced to the 8-player WCT Championships in Dallas, usually played indoors in the spring. Laver-Rosewall played one of the early WCT finals, a five-set epic that ranks as one of the all-time great matches. It's been a lot of years, and I may be remembering this incorrectly, but WCT generally took up the first 4-5 months of the year, and the Grand Prix took over after that. There was a lot of discord between the two groups, but the best players generally played WCT. At one point, they reached a truce and coincided in peace for a short time, before WCT began running its tournaments head-to-head with Grand Prix tournaments in the 1980s. The WCT tourneys were richer, but I'm not sure the ATP rankings recognized them in the end. Regardless, Lamar Hunt was a true visonary, and men's tennis owes him a lot. He should be in the Hall of Fame in my book, along with Gladys Heldman for the women's tour.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
country flag crimson

crimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond repute

I found this page with a list of all the WCT season-ending championships results from 1971-1989:

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/wctchamp.shtml
crimson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:51 PM   #7
country flag Aphex
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Jem and Crimson.
Thank you very much. Where have you been hiding the more than six months since I asked this question?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
country flag crimson

crimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond reputecrimson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex
Jem and Crimson.
Thank you very much. Where have you been hiding the more than six months since I asked this question?
You're welcome Aphex. Glad I could help.
crimson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:43 AM   #9
Jem

Jem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond reputeJem has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome -- if you're still around. I knew I didn't visit much, but three years is ridiculous! I've posted more tonight than almost all other posts combined.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote