Mens Tennis Forums banner

@``@~Federer locks up 2006 #1 ranking (3rd Year-in-a-row)~!!!

2K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Bagelicious 
#1 · (Edited)
:worship: :worship: :worship: :devil:
So it`s official Federer now has enough points to guarantee him of finishing 2006 as the World #1 for a 3rd successive year :cool: ! Just think if Roddick had won one less match at the YEC in 2003 then Roger would have wrapped up a 4th successive #1 Year :eek: .

Everyone spoke about how Sampras`s six-successive #1 years was an amazing accomplishment & yet Federer looks set to equal that or surpass it :confused: What do you guys think?? How many years can Federer keep it up...??

Also Rafa Nadal secures #2 for a 2nd successive year :worship: !! Will his time of total domination ever come or is he destined to be a bridesmaid for years to come (in terms of not nabbing #1) :confused:

#3 ·
Two other things worth pointing out><$%%$....
>>> Federer has reached his 10th successive SF at a Grand Slam~ dating back to Wimbleon 2004, which equals Lendl`s record set in the mid 1980`s!!!

If both Federer & Henin reach the finals [chances look good]~ then it will be the 1st time in a calendar year that both a male & female have reached all-4-slam-finals.

Federer`s 06 record stands at: AO = W, FO = F, Wimby = W, USO = SF+...?
Henin`s 06 record stands at: AO = F, FO =W, Wimby = F, USO = SF+...?

#4 ·
CmonAussie said:
>>> Federer has reached his 10th successive SF at a Grand Slam~ dating back to Wimbleon 2004, which equals Lendl`s record set in the mid 1980`s!!!

If both Federer & Henin reach the finals [chances look good]~ then it will be the 1st time in a calendar year that both a male & female have reached all-4-slam-finals.

If achieved it would be the first time since the Rod Laver grand slam of 1969 that a mens player has reached the final of all 4 grand slams.

#6 ·
CmonAussie said:
Also Rafa Nadal secures #2 for a 2nd successive year :worship: !! Will his time of total domination ever come or is he destined to be a bridesmaid for years to come (in terms of not nabbing #1) :confused:
The last 3 events indicate that he has not progressed. Maybe just an aberation.

#7 ·
jtipson said:
Practically speaking, Federer has locked up number one this year, but theoretically Nadal could still catch him after the TMC. He actually needs to win the US Open to be mathematically sure of the top spot.
:wavey:
From what I`ve read & calculated Federer has mathematically locked up #1 this year :cool: ! Rafa losing yesterday :sad: & Fed beating Blake :angel: today confirmed it I believe ;)

#8 ·
CmonAussie said:
From what I`ve read & calculated Federer has mathematically locked up #1 this year :cool: ! Rafa losing yesterday :sad: & Fed beating Blake :angel: today confirmed it I believe ;)
I guess our calculations differ then. I expect Bob Larson will think he's locked it up, but he often gets it wrong. Anyway, to all intents and purposes, it's a closed case - Roger is almost guaranteed number one until the AO.

#9 ·
Great achivement by Roger....but it doesn't mean that he will continue to dominate for at least the next 3 years. Whilst he has a sensible schedule, all it takes is for a nasty injury to come around and that streak is snapped. Hopefully he will remain fit and healthy :yeah:

Nadal could feasibly make #1...he has nothing to defend until February so there is some ground to be made up there...but he has to improve on US hardcourts to make up the remaining gap :eek:

#11 ·
CmonAussie said:

Going by that stat, if both Fed and Henin makes the final, then we'd know after the womens final whether Fed will win or not: Apparently Henin and Federer cannot both win.

Furthermore, it would appear that they take turns to be the winner, which means that Henin will win the US Open and Federer will lose the final. :angel:

#13 ·
DrJules said:
If achieved it would be the first time since the Rod Laver grand slam of 1969 that a mens player has reached the final of all 4 grand slams.
:speakles:

#20 ·
I think theoretically Roger is not 2006 No.1 yet. At this point (Roger in US Open SF) he is 1945 points ahead, and they both have 675 points to defend till year-end. Let's see:

Madrid 500 + Paris 500 + Shanghai(undefeated winner) 750 = 1750 points
other tournaments such as China Open, Thailand, etc.: 175 points

So if Roger takes a long break and Rafa wins Madrid, Paris, Shanghai, and maybe 2 other titles, then Rafa could surpass Roger.

But we know this is not likely to happen.
Congrats Rogi!!

#21 ·
~EMiLiTA~ said:
congrats

but i wish we could have a closer competition for #1...like have it decided at the masters cup rather than 2-3 months before the end of the season
True, but if it wasn't for Rafa, Roger would have secured #1 after Wimbledon ;)

#23 ·
If only duckboy lost 2 matches at the MC in 2003. Or was it one match? Pff!

#24 ·
i think Year End No. 1 is not really a big deal at all

No. 1 spot for 136 consecutive weeks is more impressive

24 weeks left to match Connors consecutive record
150 ( :eek: ) weeks left to match Sampras total weeks record

could be intressting next year, i think if he remain healthy and make a decent AO & FO he can tops Connors record

for Sampras record its a loooong way

#25 ·
Pea said:
If only duckboy lost 2 matches at the MC in 2003. Or was it one match? Pff!
He would have had to lose all three round robin matches (he did lose one anywaay), and the points difference was 160.

I always think of it....if only Roger hadn't wobbled in the Montreal semi against Andy, when he was a break up in the third set, and lost the tb. That would have been more than enough to make him number one, both at the time and at the end of the year, without changing any other results.

#26 ·
BUMP!

Federer`s 2006 Slam Record*
1. AO = W
2. FO = F
3. Wimby = W
4. USO = W

Nadal`s 2006 Slam record*
1. AO = DNP
2. FO = W
3. Wimby = F
4. USO = QF

Henin`s 2006 Slam Record*
1. AO = F
2. FO = W
3. Wimby = F
4. USO = F

........>>>>>>> So Roger & Justine both made all 4 Slam Finals but Fed won 3 vs Justine`s 1..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.