Chuuuuuuuuuuucho in Davis Cup, you aren't the scapegoat for the loss - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #106
country flag lau

lau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chuuuuuuuuuuucho in Davis Cup, it's time to bring the Cup to Argentina

Rosie

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/12...m-01321137.htm

Por su parte, Acasuso dijo que "estoy triste, como lo estamos todos, pero soy conciente de que dejé todo en la cancha y me voy conforme con eso". Chucho añadió que "Safin jugó en un gran nivel y yo perdí el cuarto set en el tie break, así que me voy satisfecho. Creo que con el tiempo voy a poder valorar más este momento".

Acasuso said "I am sad, as every one of us is, but I´m conscious that I left everything in the court and I´m 'satisfied' (this is not exactly the word) with that" Chucho added "Safin played in at a great level and I lost the fourth set in the tie break, so I´m going satisfied. I think that with time I´ll be able to value more this moment".
lau is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #107
country flag girL_

girL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond reputegirL_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chuuuuuuuuuuucho in Davis Cup, it's time to bring the Cup to Argentina

Chucho played really well today. It was a fight of equal rivals.
although I admit, I cheered for Marat, I was astonished at Jose's level of the game! and his serve is amazing. And I really felt sorry for him in the end =( but his teammates were there to support him.. hope he'll recover soon.

Andy Roddick*Richard Gasquet*Dima Tursunov
girL_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #108
country flag maria87

maria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lau View Post
Rosie

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/12...m-01321137.htm

Por su parte, Acasuso dijo que "estoy triste, como lo estamos todos, pero soy conciente de que dejé todo en la cancha y me voy conforme con eso". Chucho ańadió que "Safin jugó en un gran nivel y yo perdí el cuarto set en el tie break, así que me voy satisfecho. Creo que con el tiempo voy a poder valorar más este momento".

Acasuso said "I am sad, as every one of us is, but I´m conscious that I left everything in the court and I´m 'satisfied' (this is not exactly the word) with that" Chucho added "Safin played in at a great level and I lost the fourth set in the tie break, so I´m going satisfied. I think that with time I´ll be able to value more this moment".

thanks for Chucho's words!! you are really nice!

and he was great, i am happy to see he can appreciate he did well.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #109
country flag maria87

maria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond reputemaria87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Bow View Post
I agree- he was so good at not seeming lost in the moment for most of the match, but at that moment he did seem inexperienced.

All in all- a great match by Chucho- even if it was a losing effort. I always enjoy watching his matches and I hope that he begins to have more regular success both for him and, frankly for me- because I want to be able to see him more on TV.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #110
country flag maria87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Just wanted to say well done to Chucho and his fans for his performance against Marat today. He played extremely well and can take only positives out of that performance I'm sure. Good luck to him in 2007.
thanks for your words and kindness, Rosie! we need more people like you here
Old 12-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #111
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Chucho may look stoned at worst or asleep at best a lot of the time, but he gives thoughtful answers in general and thanks lau for translating that comment.

This is just another step among many and you learn more from painful defeats.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 AM   #112
country flag Choupi

Choupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond reputeChoupi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lau for passing on the comments. I'm glad to know he feels satisfied of his performance. True that he can.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #113
country flag lau

lau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond reputelau has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.daviscup.com/news/matchreport.asp?id=13989
03 Dec 2006 - Olympic Stadium, Moscow, Russia - Joanne Burnham - RUS v ARG

Safin meets his destiny as he brings the Cup home

It was the same, but different. Marat Safin had been here before, having helped Russia to lift the Davis Cup in 2002 by playing three matches in three days. But this time, he had won the third point in a decisive fifth rubber, and done so in his hometown in front of his adoring public. It doesn’t get much better for any player.

Safin defeated Jose Acasuso 63 36 63 76(5) to hand Russia the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas for the second time, denying Argentina the chance to become just the 13th different nation to raise the priceless trophy. This triumph in Moscow permanently banishes the memory of painful losses in the Davis Cup Finals held in this city in 1994 and 1995. Russia is a vastly different country to what it was then, and this is a completely different team, one representative of the new Russian order. With its strength in depth, other nations should be warned: it has the potential to dominate the world’s biggest team competition for many years to come.

Safin chosen over Tursunov

“This one is the most valuable one,” said an elated Safin about this Davis Cup title. He admitted that his captain Shamil Tarpischev had had to choose between fielding him or Dmitry Tursunov in the decisive singles, but in the end went for him.

If the 2002 victory hinged on Mikhail Youzhny, who was on the team this weekend but ultimately played no part, this 2006 triumph was all about Marat Safin, the lowest-ranked but most iconic of the hosts’ line-up, who said he was prepared to play all three days and recovered from a disastrous start in this final to redeem himself – and his below average season – in spectacular fashion.

“I would say I had a rather good finish of the year,” said Safin in typical laconic fashion. “It motivates you well to stay in tennis and to continue your career. The victory in the Davis Cup is about one of the best events in one's career.”

Acasuso contributed to quality match

The fifth rubber of the 2006 Davis Cup Final was a high-quality affair, and Jose Acasuso played no small part in that. He was thrown into the fray at the 11th hour, David Nalbandian having forced the decider with a four-set win over Nikolay Davydenko in Sunday’s first singles match.

Acasuso, Argentina’s No. 2 player and the world No. 27, is just one ranking spot lower than Safin, and led the Russia 2-1 in previous encounters. But the two-time Grand Slam champion’s greater experience in big matches both in and out of Davis Cup was crucial to a win that left the Argentine shattered and in tears at the side of the court.

“We both tried to play our best game because otherwise we had no chance,” said Safin. “I had no chance to beat Chucho Acasuso because he was playing great tennis, serving well and pretty solid from the baseline. It was a big tournament for him, a big final, and unfortunately lack of experience was the key here in important moments.”

Acasuso: “I’m sad”

“I'm sad for having lost,” said a devastated Acasuso. “I'm sad because I gave it a hundred percent. I showed a great level of game. It didn't work for us. On the one hand I feel sad because we did everything, we were so close to it. On the other hand, I'm happy with the way I played today.”

This was the 20th time that a Davis Cup Final has gone to the decisive fifth rubber, and the fourth time in the last six years. With the weight of history perhaps pressing heavier on Acasuso’s shoulders, the Argentine got off to a disastrous start. Safin meanwhile couldn’t miss, his powerful serving confirming the turnaround that had begun with Saturday’s doubles victory, after his dismal loss to Nalbandian on Friday.

Opening set to Safin

One break of Acasuso’s serve in the second game of the match was enough to give Safin the opening set in 30 minutes. The Argentine looked out of his depth in what was just his third live Davis Cup rubber, having only made his debut in the competition at the beginning of 2006.

But the Argentine was getting more comfortable with his surroundings, and began to work his way into the match at the end of the first set. He started to pressurise the Safin serve more in the second, and having survived two break points when leading 3-2, used that momentum to get a break himself in the next game, sealing it with a stunning crosscourt forehand winner.

This match, by far the best of the Final, was all about winners created from angles and hit deep into the corners, about solid serving and subtle changes of pace. It was also all about the crowd – every seat in the 11,500-seater arena was full, with the majority 10,000 Russian spectators putting all their heart into drowning out the vociferous travelling band of 1,000 Argentines.

Second set Acasuso

Acasuso’s break secured him the second set, and the final was all square again. But Safin broke in the second game of the third set, and Acasuso lost his focus, using a medical timeout for treatment to his right ankle after the fifth game as a chance to regroup.

It seemed to do the trick – he held in spectacular fashion and then broke back for a 4-3 lead, but the South Americans’ joy was short-lived, as Safin immediately went up another break. A service hold for the Russian handed him a two-sets-to-one lead, and the Davis Cup title was within reach.

Tense tiebreak

With the tension and the quality of the tennis cranked up still higher in the fourth set, both men were untouchable on their serve in the decider, forcing the first tiebreak of the weekend at the most crucial moment. Safin got ahead first, his 16th and final ace of the match helping to opening up a 4-2 lead, and then he had two match points at 6-4. Acasuso valiantly saved the first, but destiny was on Safin’s side, and he closed out his momentous victory with yet another unreturnable serve.

Triumph for Russia; disaster for Argentina

The Russian stumbled, dazed, into the arms of his teammates as they invaded the court and hoisted him onto their shoulders in what is now a Russian tradition. Triumph on one side of the net was balanced by disaster on the other as Acasuso sat with his head in his hands on the Argentine bench, inconsolable.

Argentina’s captain, Alberto Mancini, admitted that the doubles rubber on Saturday had probably been pivotal to the outcome of the final, and that the visitors had been surprised at how easily they’d lost that match. But after watching his team come so close to lifting the Davis Cup trophy, he said, “I'm proud of every member of the team. They did everything they could. They left everything inside the court. They really played very good during the weekend.”

Said Russian captain Tarpischev, “There is part of the truth to what he [Mancini] says because the doubles was a key to the tie in many senses. You also have to look at the whole series of five rubbers. You have to look at the work load.”

Tarpischev right again

When asked why he finally chose Safin over Tursunov to play the crucial rubber, Tarpischev responded: “What spoke in favour of Marat was the expertise he had in such matches. He went through all the trials and tribulations in his career. He had more expertise. It was clear to me that he could be playing a bit worse or a bit better, but he can't just fail in such kind of match.”

As has so often been the case as this wise captain has steered his charges to the Davis Cup title this year, Tarpischev was proved right in Moscow this weekend.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #114
country flag maria87

For those who coudln't see the march, highlights by Alexito

http://safinartenis.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=370
Old 12-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #115
country flag anna10

anna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie, thanks for the nice comments.

It was a very good match, and a good way for a tight tie to finish. I didn't think anything was impossible but was realistic enough to know that Chucho winning would be a tough battle. I was happy to see him stay together through the whole match and not let the moment overtake what he was doing. I hope the experience will carry on with him in the future and we won't see so much of the self-destruction we've seen in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lau View Post
I'm glad he feels good about what he did. I know it can't be an easy moment, but there was nothing to be ashamed of in the match.
anna10 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #116
country flag lau

It seems that after the DC final Russian and ARG team celebrated together
Aparently everyone drinked a lot, specially Nalbi
http://www.tden.ru/articles/sport/005010/
http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=5358
I posted the photo in the pics thread

Last edited by lau : 12-05-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #117
country flag maria87

Marat admitted that he was pretty scared during the match with Chucho and then said this about Chucho's performance, which i great thing

"Acasuso proved himself well — he served well and was confident on this surface. But he never played in such a match before, and my experience paid off," Safin said.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #118
country flag lau

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/12...m-01322314.htm
Mancini said he´ll continue as Captain.
The team arrived to Ezeiza (except Nalbandian that had his ticket reserved in other company as he flew to Geneva from Shanghai).
In the same plane most of the fans that flew from Arg. came back. They cheered the team up during all the trip and one of the most heard things was "ole, ole, ole, ole, Chucho, Chucho"
Old 12-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #119
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just lurking most of the time, so I wanted to say a general big THANK YOU for all the articles, translations, pics, etc. here and in the forums of all the players involved in the DC final, Lau & the other Arg. posters. It's been awesome to follow the DC final, thanks so much for your hard work.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #120
country flag anna10

anna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond reputeanna10 has a reputation beyond repute

For Spanish speakers, here's a short video clip of an interview with Chucho (and one from Mancini) - http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva...nota_id=864975

I only read a little spanish, don't speak at all, so can't help with what he's saying or if it's just a repeat of what's in the article.
anna10 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote