Tennis Austria - Page 87 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #1291
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Austria

Julian and Simon during their first round match.. Photo posted on behalf of MightyJurgenFan

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #1292
country flag MightyJurgenfan

MightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond repute

Horrible day for Austria. I kept my hopes up that Julian/Simono would win after both Koubek and Melzer had lost.

Well it did not turn out as I had hoped.

Aspelin/Knowle L Chela/Gonzalez 2-6, 6-7 (6). Chela had a great day darn it. Usually I cheer for him, but not when he plays my Austrains.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:44 AM   #1293
country flag iceager

iceager is on a distinguished road

I was listening to the interviews at daviscup.com (a great resource if you haven't checked it out yet), and Austrian team captain Gilbert Schaller pronounced Julian Knowle's name as if it was an English name (i.e. Knowle as Nole). I'm thinking it was probably because the interview was in English, but it got me thinking. Does anyone know what the correct pronunciation of his name is in German? I always thought it would be something like Yu-li-ahn Knov-luh, but 'Knowle' doesn't strike me very much as a German name and it might not follow the usual German pronunciation rules.
iceager is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #1294

MightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond reputeMightyJurgenfan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is pronouced the English way. One time I asked Jurgen's girlfriend to pronounce his name for me. No J sound at all. Then I asked to say his doubles partners name so she would not hear it from me. She said Julian with the J pronounced. I said they are both from Austria why does one use the J and the other does not. She said different parts of the country.

Now Julian plays with Simon Aspelin and the doubles draw is out for Madrid. Lots of very good teams are there. Aspelin/Knowle Bye in first round seeded 5. Below is their section of the draw.

3. P. HANLEY/K. ULLYETT bye
CANAS, G (ARG)/NALBANDIAN, D (ARG) vs KUERTEN, G (BRA)/MOYA, C (ESP)
ALMAGRO, N (ESP)/FERRER, D (ESP) vs ERLICH, J (ISR)/RAM, A (ISR)
5. S. ASPELIN/J. KNOWLE [5] bye
Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #1295
country flag iceager

Really? This is interesting. I was only wondering about the 'Knowle', since I thought there was no question about Julian being pronounced Yu-li-ahn the German way (as in this audio guide to the pronunciation of German names). If Julian is indeed pronounced the English way, it must be because it's taken to be an English and not a German name in the first place, right? Did she also pronounce 'Knowle' and if so how?

Last edited by iceager : 10-14-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceager View Post
Really? This is interesting. I was only wondering about the 'Knowle', since I thought there was no question about Julian being pronounced Yu-li-ahn the German way (as in this audio guide to the pronunciation of German names). If Julian is indeed pronounced the English way, it must be because it's taken to be an English and not a German name in the first place, right? Did she also pronounce 'Knowle' and if so how?
We were only discussing first names. I am deaf so have a great deal of trouble with the names of tennis players and usually get them wrong. She was trying hard to help me understand.

If Julian plays doubles in Memphis next year I will ask him.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #1297
country flag iceager

Thanks for the explanation. It's fantastic you got to talk to Jürgen's girlfriend. Are you on the Memphis tournament staff, perhaps? It must be great to have access to the players and their entourages.

Maybe Jürgen's girlfriend pronounced Julian the English way because Julian could also be an English name, but pronounced Jürgen as in German because it was clearly not an English name? That's my guess for now.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceager View Post
Thanks for the explanation. It's fantastic you got to talk to Jürgen's girlfriend. Are you on the Memphis tournament staff, perhaps? It must be great to have access to the players and their entourages.

Maybe Jürgen's girlfriend pronounced Julian the English way because Julian could also be an English name, but pronounced Jürgen as in German because it was clearly not an English name? That's my guess for now.
No I am not on th staff in Memphis. I have gotten to know Jurgen fairly well over the years and he always takes time to chat with me. So does Julian now that we met in Memphis last year. Memphis is a fairly small tournament and the players walk the halls all the time. They are all nice and stop and sign autographs and say "Hi" to the folks they know. I feel that the players are away from home and it is nice when they find a fan. I am lucky Jurgen and Julian are both so nice. Jurgen's former coach Karl Heinz Wetter was just as nice and always seemed to see me first at tournaments. :-)

You have me really interested in finding out how Julian does say his name. Hopefully he will come to Memphis but I doubt it. Julian and Simon plan to play doubles together and there are tournaments in Europe when Memphis is played. I will ask Jurgen.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #1299

Stefan Koubek qualified for Madrid and plays Jarkko Neiminen in the first round.

Good luck Stefan I think you will need it against Jarkko.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #1300
country flag guille&tati4life

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute

There is a small event in Glasgow this week and I went and cheered on the Austrians. First I watched Martin Fischer. I was sitting beside Haider-Maurer ( I got his autograph ) who was next on court.
Martin won 6-2 6-1 against Joshua Milton (a low ranked Brit) and played many great shots, many dropshots. Then Andreas defeated another Brit, David Brewer 6-0 6-4. He was solid throughout and the first set he made some great shots. Both played well though of course they were huge favourites.
Armin Sandbichler also won his match though I was watching a woman's match at the time, so don't really know how he played .
I intend to go along again tomorrow, so will put up reports, hopefully all week
Old 10-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #1301

Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming. I have notice Martin Fisher has risen in the rankings.
When you translate Haider-Mauer into English is comes out Sharp the Bricklayer. It took me a while to figure out who they meant.

Alex Peya won his first round match in a challenger in Denmark today. I always thought he would do a lot better then he has. Just like Jurgen Melzer he loses matches he should win. Alex plays great doubles.

You are lucky to see so many Austrians in one place. I think the ones you are watching are the future stars for Austria. They are the names I see mentioned a lot.

Are any of the Austrians where you are watching playing in the doubles?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #1302

guille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond reputeguille&tati4life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyJurgenfan View Post
Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming. I have notice Martin Fisher has risen in the rankings.
When you translate Haider-Mauer into English is comes out Sharp the Bricklayer. It took me a while to figure out who they meant.

Alex Peya won his first round match in a challenger in Denmark today. I always thought he would do a lot better then he has. Just like Jurgen Melzer he loses matches he should win. Alex plays great doubles.

You are lucky to see so many Austrians in one place. I think the ones you are watching are the future stars for Austria. They are the names I see mentioned a lot.

Are any of the Austrians where you are watching playing in the doubles?
Cool name

I like Alex and Jurgen too

I'm afraid I don't have time to do a proper update today. I promise to do one tomorrow. Unfortunately Andreas lost his match, I was gutted and i think he was as i didn't see him for the rest of the day. Martin won (I like him almost as much )and as for Armin, he was a set down when i had to go home.
All 3 of them are playing doubles, but because i live at the other end of Glasgow i've not had the chance to watch them play doubles as they are usually the last matches on court.

I'll do 2 days worth of updates tomorrow

Last edited by guille&tati4life : 10-17-2007 at 11:48 PM.
guille&tati4life is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 AM   #1303

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life View Post
Cool name

I like Alex and Jurgen too

I'm afraid I don't have time to do a proper update today. I promise to do one tomorrow. Unfortunately Andreas lost his match, I was gutted and i think he was as i didn't see him for the rest of the day. Martin won (I like him almost as much )and as for Armin, he was a set down when i had to go home.
All 3 of them are playing doubles, but because i live at the other end of Glasgow i've not had the chance to watch them play doubles as they are usually the last matches on court.

I'll do 2 days worth of updates tomorrow
I will look forward to that.

Are you taking pictures? What does Martin look like? I am so glad he won.

Aspelin/Knowle won in doubles and are now in the quarter finals.

Koubek had a big win over Ljubicic.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyJurgenfan View Post
Are you taking pictures? What does Martin look like? I am so glad he won.
My big brother has been taking a camera, but with a women's event on at the same time, they've been getting more pics taken . The link is a picture i found of Fischer online though http://www.sport1.at/typo3temp/pics/773089c24e.jpg.

Ok, so day 2....

On the second day I was really looking forward to watching Haider-Maurer and he was the first match on court versus Ladislav Chramosta of the Czech Republic. Again I was sitting close to the two other Austrian players and another guy who i assume is their coach. Andreas started well and deservedly won the first set 6-4 but Chramosta was never going to go away. He broke Andreas early in the second and by the time it got to 3-0, Andreas seemed to give up the set a little . Chramosta took it 6-1. The 3rd set was the best set of tennis i've seen this week. Just great shots by both guys. Chramosta is ranked 569 but played like a top 20 player. In any event, after saving 3 mps, Andreas couldn't quite fight back and Chramosta won 6-4 in the 3rd. One clear problem with Haider-Maurer is his second serve. He made way way too many double faults and i hope he doesn't become similar to my favourite player in that regard .
Fischer had to play a guy called Chris Eaton. Eaton isn't just a regular British dud, and the day before he had beaten a guy ranked more than 3 hundred places above him in the rankings 6-1 6-1, he continued that form against Martin. Fischer played another good match and took the first set 6-3. In the second however Eaton turned on the style and won 7-5. He couldn't keep us his form (much to my delight ) and Fischer found something extra and took the 3rd easily, 6-1. After the match i said he'd played a good game and he thanked me . He was really nice. Martin is such a clever player, solid off both wings, good at the net and good dropshots, I hope he has a great future.
During Sandbichler's match with Matthew Illingworth i was watching a woman's match (because my favourite was playing and winning ) so I didn't see any. Before I left to go home Armin was a set down and a break down. When I turned up today though he was on my order of play he had won the day before 6-7 7-6 6-4. Sandbichler is a lefty with a good serve. He grunts damn loud when he hits it . His forehand is decent too but i think his backhand is a real weakness.

Day 3

Well, I was worried that i may have missed the Austrians because I got delayed getting to the tournament but fortunately I hadn't. Armin was on court when I arrived against the number one seed Richard Bloomfield of Britain. I was just in time to see Armin take the 2nd set 6-1 to force a decider. Unfortunately though Bloomfield just had too much for him and came through in the end.
Martin however played a very good match. He was facing Stefano Ianni and Martin simply destroyed him. It looked on paper like a tough match (Ianni is 6th seed to Fischer's 3rd) but the result was never in doubt. To be honest, Ianni didn't really turn up and seemed like he just wanted off the court. Martin eased through 6-3 6-2. Next up Fischer will probably have Chramosta, so hopefully he can get some revenge, though I do like Chramosta too.

I should be able to go tomorrow but unfortunately i will not see the final. On Saturday Celtic play Rangers and i'm afraid i wouldn't miss that for anything . I hope Martin gets there Vamos!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by guille&tati4life View Post
My big brother has been taking a camera, but with a women's event on at the same time, they've been getting more pics taken . The link is a picture i found of Fischer online though http://www.sport1.at/typo3temp/pics/773089c24e.jpg.

Ok, so day 2....

On the second day I was really looking forward to watching Haider-Maurer and he was the first match on court versus Ladislav Chramosta of the Czech Republic. Again I was sitting close to the two other Austrian players and another guy who i assume is their coach. Andreas started well and deservedly won the first set 6-4 but Chramosta was never going to go away. He broke Andreas early in the second and by the time it got to 3-0, Andreas seemed to give up the set a little . Chramosta took it 6-1. The 3rd set was the best set of tennis i've seen this week. Just great shots by both guys. Chramosta is ranked 569 but played like a top 20 player. In any event, after saving 3 mps, Andreas couldn't quite fight back and Chramosta won 6-4 in the 3rd. One clear problem with Haider-Maurer is his second serve. He made way way too many double faults and i hope he doesn't become similar to my favourite player in that regard .
Fischer had to play a guy called Chris Eaton. Eaton isn't just a regular British dud, and the day before he had beaten a guy ranked more than 3 hundred places above him in the rankings 6-1 6-1, he continued that form against Martin. Fischer played another good match and took the first set 6-3. In the second however Eaton turned on the style and won 7-5. He couldn't keep us his form (much to my delight ) and Fischer found something extra and took the 3rd easily, 6-1. After the match i said he'd played a good game and he thanked me . He was really nice. Martin is such a clever player, solid off both wings, good at the net and good dropshots, I hope he has a great future.
During Sandbichler's match with Matthew Illingworth i was watching a woman's match (because my favourite was playing and winning ) so I didn't see any. Before I left to go home Armin was a set down and a break down. When I turned up today though he was on my order of play he had won the day before 6-7 7-6 6-4. Sandbichler is a lefty with a good serve. He grunts damn loud when he hits it . His forehand is decent too but i think his backhand is a real weakness.

Day 3

Well, I was worried that i may have missed the Austrians because I got delayed getting to the tournament but fortunately I hadn't. Armin was on court when I arrived against the number one seed Richard Bloomfield of Britain. I was just in time to see Armin take the 2nd set 6-1 to force a decider. Unfortunately though Bloomfield just had too much for him and came through in the end.
Martin however played a very good match. He was facing Stefano Ianni and Martin simply destroyed him. It looked on paper like a tough match (Ianni is 6th seed to Fischer's 3rd) but the result was never in doubt. To be honest, Ianni didn't really turn up and seemed like he just wanted off the court. Martin eased through 6-3 6-2. Next up Fischer will probably have Chramosta, so hopefully he can get some revenge, though I do like Chramosta too.

I should be able to go tomorrow but unfortunately i will not see the final. On Saturday Celtic play Rangers and i'm afraid i wouldn't miss that for anything . I hope Martin gets there Vamos!
Thanks for the great review of the tennis. I can not find it to check the scores. Martin is doing very well and should continue.
These are all unfamilar names to me, so I really appreciate your posts.

After I saw the picture of Martin, I remembered that they had them on a slide show on Sport1.at.

Today Stefan lost to Lopez. Tomorrow Aspelin and Knowle play. They are now #4 on the list for Shanghia. Hopefully they will make it.

Please post again tomorrow so I will know how Martin does.