Tennis Austria - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 AM   #91
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Austria

Jurgen will play Igor Andreev but I have confidence in him
Jurgen Melzer/Chris Haggard lost to Jeff Coetzee/Alberto Martin 26 64 67(5)
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #92
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

STRONG EFFORT, Jürgen!!!!

wins against Igor Andreev 6-3 6-4

come on!

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:43 PM   #93
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Jürgen OUTGUNS Carraz 7-5 6-0 4-6 6-3

fist pump!

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Old 09-02-2004, 01:22 AM   #94
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Emotionslose Revanche

Mit seinem nächsten Gegner hat Melzer eine Rechnung offen, aber er selbst sieht das emotionslos.

"Es ist eine besondere Geschichte, aber er ist mir lieber als Horna, auch wenn ich vor ein paar Wochen nur ein Game gemacht habe. Aber ich nehme nicht an, dass hier ein Hurricane ausbricht", spielte er auf die extremen Windbedingungen in Athen an.

Aber wenn er die Wahl hätte, dann wäre ihm ein Sieg in New York wichtiger. "Ich verliere lieber bei Olympia als hier", stellte er klar. Gegen Spadea erwartet er ein hartes Match. "Das könnte eine längere Partie werden."
Jürgen is saying that he prefers to match up with Spadea again and not meeting Horna. He makes a funny remark and hoped that there will be no hurricane in New York when playing against Spadea, alluding to the very windy conditions in Athens.

If he had the choice he would select a win at the US Open over Spadea, not at the Olympics. He is predicting a hard match and long match. "Could be very likely the case that this match takes a little bit longer".

Old 09-02-2004, 04:49 AM   #95
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

From TennisWeek.com
Quote:
It was rush hour in Queens and Jurgen Melzer was directing traffic. Dictating the direction of rallies with the authority of a traffic cop commanding cars into the appropriate lanes, Melzer moved Gregory Carraz around the court for much of the match before moving into the second round of the U.S. Open with a 7-5, 6-0, 4-6, 6-3 victory.

The 40th-ranked Melzer meets 23rd-seeded Boca Raton resident Vince Spadea, who stopped Long Island finalist Luis Horna in four sets on the Grandstand Court, in the second round. Melzer’s last meeting with Spadea wasn’t exactly a match to remember as Spadea annihilated the Austrian, 6-0, 6-1 in the opening round of the Olympics amid blustery conditions completely frustrated Melzer.

"Well, I hope there is not such a hurricane here as we had in Athens," Melzer said with a smile. "He beat me, 6-0, 6-1, two weeks ago so he’s obviously a favorite coming into this match. I mean, I’m not scared of him or anything because I lost two weeks ago. I’m in great shape and I’m looking forward to the match. It’s going to be a tough one."

The left-handed Melzer made things difficult on Carraz from the outset with shrewd shot selection that unsettled Carraz. The 29-year-old Frenchman is a serve-and-volleyer adept at moving into the court to cut off angles, but not nearly as comfortable moving laterally to hit groundstrokes on the run. Melzer’s movement is one of his strengths and he used his clear advantage in court coverage to break open a 5-5 tie, winning eight straight games to seize a two-set lead.

"I felt from the beginning that it was just a matter of time until I break him and the match would turn in my favor," Melzer said. "I felt I was hitting better from the baseline and I was serving better."

Disrupting Carraz’s rhythm by alternating his drop shot with deep forehands and sharp angled backhands crosscourt, Melzer kept the Frenchman off balance and was able to bail himself out of trouble by playing to Carraz’s slice backhand which lacked the bite to bother Melzer.

"He was serving and volleying all the time so it’s tough to pass him when he gets a rhythm," Melzer said. "I did well the first and second sets moving him around. I was a bit unlucky to lose the third, but I came back in the fourth to finish pretty good."

In reaching the Tennis Masters Series-Canada quarterfinals in July, Melzer used his drop shot effectively to defeat Dominik Hrbaty, Andre Agassi and Fernando Gonzalez before falling to Nicolas Kiefer in three sets. Melzer is enamored of his drop shot, but went to it too many times at the end of the third set. Anticipating the drop shot, Carraz ran down consecutive drops and replied with angled winners to break in the ninth game of the third set. Carraz saved a pair of break points to take the third set.

In the fourth set, Melzer began to take the net away on occasion and force the Frenchman to try to pass. Carraz slapped a forehand wide to face break point. Charging the net behind a slice backhand, Carraz was forced to suddenly stop and change directions to pursue a Melzer lob. His leaping backhand overhead found the net and Melzer had a break and a 2-0 lead. Carraz came back to even the set, but Melzer broke for 5-3. Serving for the match, Melzer, who served big on break points, slammed an ace down the center to save a break point. Two points later, Melzer approached and Carraz’s forehand pass landed wide as Melzer secured a spot in the second round.

"My game is more from the baseline, but if it’s time to come in, I come in, I mean, I’m not worried about volleying," Melzer said. "The tactics were to mix it up and play a variety of shots." After the U.S. Open ends, Melzer’s preparation for Austria’s Davis Cup tie against Great Britain begins. The tie will be staged on clay in Austria and marks the debut of former Roland Garros champion Thomas Muster, who took over as the country’s Davis Cup captain after Austria fell to the United States in the opening round.

"It’s going to be a hard tie," Melzer said. "We have the home crowd, we have the surface, which is obviously a big advantage for us. But if Tim and Greg play well it’s always tough to beat them. We will see what happens. I think it could come down to the match I play with Tim on the final Sunday and the better one will win. We haven’t actually worked with Muster yet, but I was told that all 3,500 seats are already sold out so obviously he is an attraction for tennis."
Sounds like it would have been a fantastic match to watch

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Old 09-03-2004, 11:00 AM   #96
country flag Neely
-

When asked for his feeling about his next match, I've read that, despite his heavy loss to Spadea at Athens, Jürgen is going with a very positive feeling into his 2nd round match vs Vince because he has fun playing in New York and he is trying to have fun today again and hopes that the rest (winning) will come automatically then.

Good luck, Jürgen!

Old 09-03-2004, 04:38 PM   #97
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to Jurgen against Spadea today!
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:47 PM   #98
country flag Neely
-

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Jürgen def. Vince 6-3 4-6 3-6 6-3 6-4

Auf gehts, Jürgen!!!

that's worth a FIST PUMP! ... and a loala

Old 09-04-2004, 05:23 AM   #99
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Quote:
Melzer Sends No. 23-Seed Spadea Packing
by Lisa Zimmerman
Friday, September 3, 2004

Just two weeks ago, No. 23 Vincent Spadea and Austrian Jurgen Melzer took the court against each other at the Olympic Games in Athens. In that meeting, Melzer was able to eke out just one game and lost in straight sets to his American opponent. This match had a totally different tone and outcome as Melzer upset the American 6-3, 4-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

In the late afternoon, in front of shoulder-to-shoulder crowd, the 30-year-old Spadea wasn't able to establish a rhythm in the first set and it looked as though it might not be his day. There was a bit of confusion at the outset when, as Melzer was serving, a ball came flying over the fence from the outer walkway. Once that was straightened out, Melzer proceeded to dominate the set, looking much different than he did in Greece. There were some exciting moments when both players hit shots that looked impossible to return, but which each player in turn was able to reach and garner a point.

Along with the standard baseline volleying, there was a fair amount of spirited net play, which kept the crowd -- highly partisan toward Spadea -- vocally in the match. However, as the second set commenced, Spadea seemed to come to life. Down 2-4, he held and then broke to even things out at 4-4, ultimately, taking the set 6-4.

The third set was all Spadea, breaking Melzer three times and going ahead 6-3. But, 23-year-old Melzer was not ready to go down without a fight. He came back with vengence and took the fourth and fifth sets in just over an hour for a total match time of three hours and 14 minutes.

Interestingly, in spite of his win, Melzer committed 71 unforced errors to Spadea's 54 and Spadea had 11 aces to Melzer's five. However, it was Melzer with 54 winners to Spadea's 37 and a higher break point conversion rate (50% to 38%) that told the tale of the match.

Melzer will now meet Michael Llodra of France in the third round.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/rep...262713915.html

BRILLIANT work Jurgen

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Old 09-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #100
country flag MissKoubek1981

MissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tennis Austria

*waves* Now I am here too!!! *happy*

I think my user name explains my fave player *lol* ... but I like all the Austrians. I am Austrian myself, so patriotic till the end!!
MissKoubek1981 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #101
country flag UseTheSearchTool

UseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKoubek1981
*waves* Now I am here too!!! *happy*

I think my user name explains my fave player *lol* ... but I like all the Austrians. I am Austrian myself, so patriotic till the end!!
An Austrian with a German flag, hmmm that's not too patriotic or is there something else sinister there.

Good for Austria that Melzer and Koubek have made the 3rd round and with a real man as the Davis Cup captain, there could be a return to the World Group. Just wish Hipfl hadn't got injured so much.
UseTheSearchTool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #102

MissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond reputeMissKoubek1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Tennis Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseTheSearchTool
An Austrian with a German flag, hmmm that's not too patriotic or is there something else sinister there.
Sorry, just haven't looked at that. CHANGED IT!! Forgive me, I am a newbie!!
Old 09-04-2004, 10:45 AM   #103
country flag UseTheSearchTool

UseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really niceUseTheSearchTool is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKoubek1981
Sorry, just haven't looked at that. CHANGED IT!! Forgive me, I am a newbie!!
Of course you are forgiven, it has been fixed
UseTheSearchTool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #104

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #105
country flag Neely
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseTheSearchTool
there could be a return to the World Group
absolutely there are good chances... well, I think that Great Britain is playing with Henman and Rusedski in singles (who else ), Austria has home court advantage and they have chosen clay as surface. IMO Koubek on clay is for example much better (a good day given of course) than Rusedski and also Melzer outGUNNED Rusedski on clay already this season. Rusedski really could be the weak link in this lineup. Also Melzer, who was red-hot during March/April this year, has beaten Henman in two tiebreak sets some months ago on hardcourt. So I think that's also not unpossible for him to beat Henman on clay, despite the fact the he was a semifinalist in Paris this year.
Let's go, Austria!