Tennis Austria - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-10-2004, 02:24 PM   #61
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely
yes, they were both great player and I liked both of them to see playing; I watched many matches of these two on Austrian TV when I was still a little kid.

And especially I liked all these matches as Muster and Skoff got ripped by Becker and Stich *evilgrin*
You liked Skoff are you kidding? I find it hard to believe.

Well, it's funny how you forgot to mention the 1995 Monte Carlo final, just remember who won that and it wasn't Becker or the Davis Cup match where Muster beat Stich, then again Skoff never had a backhand and couldn't finish off Muster's work

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #62
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

no, actually no kidding. Maybe I should have pointed out more precisly that I liked both more because of their game, matches and achievements and not character-wise or because of any other attributes.

That must have to do with the fact that I'm a German who has no problem with Austria at all (the opposite: I love this country and attend university there) and that I could follow many matches on Austrian TV as there was plenty of tennis televised in the prime time of Muster and Skoff (maybe even Schaller deserves a mention there), almost every tournament were Muster/Skoff were in was broadcasted from the Quarterfinal on or even earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
Well, it's funny how you forgot to mention the 1995 Monte Carlo final, just remember who won that and it wasn't Becker or the Davis Cup match where Muster beat Stich, then again Skoff never had a backhand and couldn't finish off Muster's work

yes, it wasn't only Stich and Becker who won, also some big matches went to Muster opponents and it was a good thing because it's not like that, that I wouldn't grant any success for Austria, too.

BTW, speaking of Skoff... this guy also had some nice results in Bastad (in reference to the current week)

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:14 PM   #63
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I liked Skoff, but it takes a unique kind of person to like Horsti. You know he has actually lost all that fat, and is playing League tennis in Austria again. I don't think he is married to Ulla any more, he was with a former Miss World. Yes, I know he did well in Båstad as well.

Schaller and Antonitsch were always behind the other two. Schaller the man who beat Sampras and had that strange forehand, but he made the most of what he had.

Skoff didn't make too many finals, he was too busy drinking and partying. Though he did win 4 tournaments and his Muster battles were great stuff, you could feel the love there.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #64
country flag melx

melx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond repute

Muster was great player, I never saw him own eyes playing as this is too long ago and I was young too at this stage, but he must have been a great claycourt player.
melx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:54 PM   #65
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

yes, sure he was. He had incredible runs on clay and won a Grand Slam and won so many other tournaments. He even runs highly positive records on hardcourt, but except two, three, four Grand Slams he mostly failed to deliver continously at Grand Slams.

I mean, just look at his ATP profile and compare Stich to Muster. Muster has won 44 titles, to just 18 compared to Stich's. But still Stich is even to Muster in prize money despite playing just about the half amount of matches in his career.

Yes, Muster had his accident and everything, managed to achieve an amazing comeback recovering from that, but the numbers stand. Stich won some big things also. So did Becker his whole career (except on clay).

Stich was a very good player, but too lazy and not enough determined, he couldn't comeback once he was in a hole.

Also both, Stich and Becker hold career edges over Muster and Skoff, with the majority of all matches not played on grass or indoor, not it was on clay! So the excuse "Muster and Skoff have career losing records to Stich and Becker because they met mainly on surfaces that favored the Germans" is not valid.

But as George mentioned above, Muster got a clay TMS title against Becker who blew a lead and Becker is still talking about that. Also Muster fought off a tough five-set win against Stich in Davis Cup.

melx, to understand Austrian tennis, also let me say that Skoff and Muster were enemies, they always were and they still are (Muster being asked whether he knows where Skoff is (because he was missing at the Germany/Austria exhibition matches: "I don't know where he is, if it's like that he can't get away from his farm, if he is too fat or if he is practising like a wild animal"). That was not really productive for the Austrian Davis Cup team these days, but still they had a very competitive team almost all the time. Skoff had the USA on the brink of defeat in his match against Chang, then the match got suspended and the other day Chang won the 5th set.
Also Skoff is not too amused about the current Austrian Davis Cup captain and the same is true vice-versa. So there's a lot of movement and action around "Horsti"
(Skoff had a car accident in November 2001, almost forget that).

BTW, nowadays Muster still gets outgunned without having a chance by Becker on indoor hard (they played an exhibition in April in Vienna) and Muster still wins against Becker on clay (rematch in Hamburg). So the old rules are still true. Same is true that Stich can get the better of Becker on grass (Stich won an exhibition match in Halle).

The 90s were great times, especially in sports. I will never forget what happened in all these years when I was raised, not just in tennis, in much more terms...

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 07-11-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #66
country flag Neely
-

good luck against Vassallo Arguello, Jürgen!!!

Old 07-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #67
country flag Neely
-

OMG, is Jürgen currently in bad shape... he exists against Vassallo-Arguello in his own country

4-6 2-6

Jürgen

Old 07-22-2004, 12:36 AM   #68
country flag melx

melx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond reputemelx has a reputation beyond repute

oh noooooooooo, Jurgen!
melx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:18 PM   #69
country flag Neely
-

yes!!!
long time we have been waiting for a great result from Jürgen because he was struggling badly the last weeks, but finally he got one!

Jürgen Melzer def. Dominik Hrbaty 4-6 7-5 7-6(3)

that was a tough match with lots of breaks... Jürgen was already down by a break in the third set, he broke back, broke again and was even serving for the match at *5-4, but got again broken back by Hrbaty.

Finally Jürgen had the better luck in the tiebreak and came through

well done, Jürgen!

Old 07-29-2004, 06:51 AM   #70
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness! I'm feeling pretty good about this win. I don't mind Dominik, but he's scored a couple of tournaments already, and I think that's enough for the moment

Great to see Jurgen win again

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #71
country flag Gonzo Hates Me!

Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Jurgen's defeat over Agassi today. I am glad he won b/c not only did he rid us of Agassi, but he scares me when he is losing 'cause he can get real mad in some matches, and I didnt want to see that again, ! Now he faces Gonzo, , but I can say it wouldnt kill me if Gonzo lost to him 'cause Jurgen is just so damn adorable! And again, I dont want to see him angry, ever, again
NALBANDIAN --> Benneteau --> Davydenko --> Mathieu -->
TURSUNOV --> Mantilla --> KIEFER --> NADAL -->
Karlovic --> Odesnik --> Stepanek --> Monfils -->
??

Oliver Cromwell lay buried and dead. Hee-haw. Buried and dead.
Gonzo Hates Me! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:20 AM   #72
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

6-3, 6-3 over Agassi! Yeah! I'll try to get an article or something. Woohoo he won me $108 on v-betting! I almost feel bad for the ones that put 400/500 on AA to win!

Old 07-30-2004, 02:33 AM   #73
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

From tennisweek.com

In the ongoing global game of tennis where there's always another match to be played, another practice session at stake and more ranking points to pursue, many players are too preoccupied to realize the most meaningful moments of their careers while they're happening. Today, Jurgen Melzer's lifetime commitment to tennis culminated with the best tennis of his life.

Playing astute, all-court tennis the 23-year-old Melzer stunned 10th-seeded Andre Agassi, 6-3, 6-3 to advance to the third round of the Tennis Masters Series-Canada.

The match lasted one hour; the memory will last a lifetime.

"This is the tennis of my life and the best day of my life," a smiling Melzer said after the stirring victory.

The match was a showcase for Melzer's shot making skill. The left-handed Austrian set the tone from the outset boldly delving down the lines off both sides and forcing Agassi forward to chase down deft drop shots. Refusing to allow Agassi to establish a rhythm or engage him in extensive exchanges, Melzer imposed his tempo on the match and often went for winners within the first strokes of the rally.

The 61st-ranked Austrian reaped the rewards of his high-risk approach, hitting 28 winners compared to 10 for Agassi.

"If you play with Agassi from the baseline, you're going to lose," Melzer said. "I went for shots down the line and he doesn't like that too much. Normally, you miss more than that, but I was making the shots today."

In contrast, Agassi looked out of sorts; his footwork and racquet work out of sync. Typically, Agassi's backhand is his most reliable shot and the stroke that he uses to both break down opponents' ground games and open up the court for his own offensive options. Today, the Agassi backhand frequently flew long.

Staring down at his strings as if questioning the tension of his racquet, Agassi never looked completely comfortable. He fell behind 4-1 in the first set and failed to take advantage of two of his three break-point chances. Melzer maintained his lead and looked confident when he stepped up to serve for the set.

Two errant Agassi backhands bounded beyond the baseline to give the Austrian a 30-0 lead. Melzer's left-handed serve lacks the pure power of other top players, but can be deceptive and difficult to read. He struck an ace down the middle to reach set point then cracked an ace wide in the ad court to seize the first set.

The three-time tournament champion's lack of recent match play — Agassi has played only eight matches in the past four months — was apparent in the second set when Agassi couldn't convert a pair of break-point chances in the fourth game. On the first break point, Melzer hit a strong service winner wide. On the second, Melzer hit a sub 90 mph second serve — the sort of serve an in-form Agassi normally swats aside with all the assurance of a man brushing away a mosquito — but an indecisive Agassi seemed unsure of how to attack the soft second serve and looped a backhand return long. Two points later, Melzer held to forge a 2-2 tie.

Melzer's ability to hit fast, flat strokes down the line over the high part of the net robbed the reaction time from Agassi and forced him to reach for shots on the run. Unlike his opening round victory over Tommy Haas when he moved so well both laterally and forward, Agassi looked slightly slow in covering the running forehand and when Melzer pushed him wide to that side, Agassi sometimes reached with his racquet to wrist forehands back rather than taking the extra steps necessary to get to the spot and hit a shot with authority.

In the seventh game of the second set, Melzer struck backhand winner crosscourt to earn break point then broke serve with a brilliant running forehand pass crosscourt struck from several feet behind the baseline. Pumping his fist in excitement, Melzer trotted to his court-side seat with a 4-3 lead.

Trailing 15-30 in the ensuing game, Melzer got even with his 10th ace and followed with a pair of forehand winners to hold for 5-3.

A running topspin lob looped over Agassi's head gave Melzer match points at 40-15. Agassi saved both, but stuck a stretch forehand into the net to hand Melzer a third match point. Caught out of position Agassi struck a swing forehand volley wide as Melzer completed one of his biggest wins.

The victory raised Melzer's record to 18-17 on the season and while he's been below .500 for stretches of the season, Melzer has a history of playing his best tennis in Masters Series events: he upset Indian Wells finalist Tim Henman, 7-6(3), 2-6, 7-6(4) to reach the third round of Miami and knocked off both Nicolas Massu and Marat Safin to reach the Hamburg quarterfinals.

Old 07-30-2004, 02:54 AM   #74
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

INTERVIEW
Q. Jurgen, where does this rank among all the victories in your career?
A. Well, I think it's the best. There is nothing above that, I mean, if you beat Agassi. Well, I think it was probably the last chance, one of the last chances to play him. I was glad that I can play him a second time and to win, it's just big.

Q. How did you feel out there? I mean, it looked like you were moving very easily and really making him look a lot slower.
A. Well, I felt all right. I mean, I came from clay and I didn't like that there, and since I'm here, I really play good tennis. I enjoy being on the court and enjoy moving there. I like the hard courts slow like this is. Well, I moved all right and I stuck to my game plan and I executed it perfectly.

Q. Andre mentioned that you changed things up with your serve a little bit. Was that part of your game plan?
A. Of course you've got to mix it up. If he is there and makes a couple of returns, he gets confident and you don't -- you cannot always -- I mean, he doesn't have a weaker side but where you feel better, you go there and, well, it worked. And it was part of the game plan mixing up the serve.

Q. He also said he found it really fast out there. Did you find that as well and that obviously helped you?
A. The surface?

Q. Yeah.
A. Well, I think it was because of the heat a little bit. This makes it a lot faster out there. Well, I didn't think it was that fast. I mean, it was fast. I hit the ball pretty fast today and he also does. So, that's probably the thing why it was that. I didn't think it was that fast.

Q. It wasn't an easy match obviously but do you expect it to be over a straight set win over Andre Agassi?
A. You got to be pretty cocky to go out there and say it's 6-3, 6-3, and you expect it. No, I didn't. I mean, I was believing in myself. I think if I leave everything out there, I think I have a chance and, well, it worked better than I thought but it's nice sitting here after one hour if you have another match to go.

Q. How do you feel about that other match today, playing two in a day?
A. Well, it's tough if you play three hours one day, and then you got to go another one, it's tough. But today it was 1:10. So, of course, it was mental -- a mental -- it was a tough thing to be out there and play against Agassi, but I think I have to cool down now and I think -- when is it? It's not before 7:30. So, it's some time and it's good that it's not like in two hours so I have a little bit time to rest and I think it should be okay.

From Agassis interview:
Q. Can you expand a little bit on what he did well to bother you today?
A. Well, I didn't get into -- he got a lot of free points off his serve. He mixed his serve up and when I did sort of get a hold of his serve and if I hit it anywhere short, he was really aggressive on his first ball and, you know, we didn't have many rallies out there more than four shots. I was uncomfortable. He was comfortable. When there's no rallies more than four shots, it just -- it just seemed to stay that way. He returned well. He moved well. He did a lot of things well today. He played much better than I did.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:03 AM   #75
country flag Gonzo Hates Me!

Gonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond reputeGonzo Hates Me! has a reputation beyond repute

And now he defeated Gonzo 6-3 6-3 as well. I'm sad!! This is a sad nite for me. But this is good for him. He's so damn cute!
Gonzo Hates Me! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote