What do you think "Super Saturday" or "Stupid Saturday"? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #61
country flag careergrandslam

careergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think "Super Saturday" or "Stupid Saturday"?

dumbest rule in all of sports.
careergrandslam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #62
country flag careergrandslam

careergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond reputecareergrandslam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
The US does not deserve slams or tennis. These people, I am talking about my countrymen, who watch Football that is played with hands, they just need to stay sheep. Let the rest of the world appreciate tennis and soccer. I think US Open needs to end and become China Open. China deserves a slam. US does not.
this.
careergrandslam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #63
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

It was all right in the days when tennis was a less physical sport. Johnny Mac played 5 sets against Connors late into the night in 1984 and then came back and destroyed Lendl in the final the next day. Now though it seems rather daft. On the other hand, I suppose it's good that each slam presents its own unique challenges.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #64
country flag brent-o

brent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post
I think by now all the other slams have the men's semis scheduled the same day (Friday). The two halves are typically synchronized at the 4th round or QFs, so there can be an "unfairly" quick turnaround between 5-setters somewhere for a player.
Oh ok, I remember what I was referring to. I was remembering that one year at Wimbledon (2008 I think) where Rafa's semi kept getting rain-delayed like crazy, and I think he had to play Saturday. I don't know why I was thinking this was the norm.

Andre Agassi (always #1)---Novak Djokovic ---Rafa Nadal---
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga---Gilles Simon---Tomas Berdych---David Nalbandian---Nico Almagro
brent-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #65
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent-o View Post
Oh ok, I remember what I was referring to. I was remembering that one year at Wimbledon (2008 I think) where Rafa's semi kept getting rain-delayed like crazy, and I think he had to play Saturday. I was thinking this was the norm.
Far from the norm.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #66
country flag brent-o

brent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
It was all right in the days when tennis was a less physical sport. Johnny Mac played 5 sets against Connors late into the night in 1984 and then came back and destroyed Lendl in the final the next day. Now though it seems rather daft. On the other hand, I suppose it's good that each slam presents its own unique challenges.
That's a good point. Some of the commentators were talking today about how the US Open is the toughest Slam to win because of the conditions, but I wasn't buying that. Wimbledon has god awful rain, and it isn't exactly the North Pole at Melbourne.

Andre Agassi (always #1)---Novak Djokovic ---Rafa Nadal---
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga---Gilles Simon---Tomas Berdych---David Nalbandian---Nico Almagro
brent-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #67
country flag mongo

mongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Huh? Roger won it 5 times in a row in "these days."

People want to dismiss the USO and say RG is the toughest slam to win, but I noticed no one is wishing that RG change it's format to make it easier on the players. The USO has long been the toughest slam to win, and the final weekend is a big part of that.

Anyway, you're the same whiners who will be crying foul when a semi at one of the other majors goes into a second day because there's no 5th set tiebreaker.
mongo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #68
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
Huh? Roger won it 5 times in a row in "these days."

People want to dismiss the USO and say RG is the toughest slam to win, but I noticed no one is wishing that RG change it's format to make it easier on the players. The USO has long been the toughest slam to win, and the final weekend is a big part of that.

Anyway, you're the same whiners who will be crying foul when a semi at one of the other majors goes into a second day because there's no 5th set tiebreaker.
Huh? I wasn't whining.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 AM   #69
country flag triplefault

triplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond reputetriplefault has a reputation beyond repute

I don't whine if one semi goes into a second day because of an extended fifth set. My attitude is that the player who can overcome his opponent more quickly deserves the advantage of additional rest.

And since all slams start with 128 players and have pretty much the same top players, they are all equally difficult for a player chosen at random to win.
triplefault is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #70
country flag redda2
Banned!

redda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond reputeredda2 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW both semis aren't on Friday for the Australian open. It goes:

Semi 1 - Thursday night
Semi 2 - Friday night

Final - Sunday night.
redda2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #71
country flag mongo

mongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplefault View Post
I don't whine if one semi goes into a second And since all slams start with 128 players and have pretty much the same top players, they are all equally difficult for a player chosen at random to win.
It sure has that look the day the draw comes out, doesn't it...?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #72
country flag mongo

Quote:
Huh? I wasn't whining.
My bad. No, you weren't whining. Seems I should have just made to posts since that final statement wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the whiny whiners.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #73
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

stupid thing, very stupid
64 Titles | 27 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 139 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 699 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #74
country flag Mr. Oracle

Mr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Oracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default USO Scheduling - Semi + Final Epic Fail

You CANNOT be serious !!

Are they seriously considering starting the men's semis at 11AM on saturday, then having an early afternoon final the following day, followed by the women's final in the evening? I thought men's finals is always a night match? Is this some PC movement or something? Is this the greatest scheduling fail in slam history?
is there nothing?  Because, Djokovic, Murray, and Nadal
certainly win Roger? Even David Ferrer? (Roger 14 - 0 David)
Or, Roger loses even before QF? lol

argument.

Click for Jacko & Bubble-Rod => http://postimg.org/image/tvdauba7z/

Last edited by Mr. Oracle : 09-03-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Mr. Oracle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #75
country flag Roadmap

Roadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond reputeRoadmap has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USO Scheduling - Semi + Final Epic Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle View Post
You CANNOT be serious !!

Are they seriously considering starting the men's semis at 11AM on saturday, then having an early afternoon final the following day, followed by the women's final in the evening? I thought men's finals is always a night match? Is this some PC movement or something? Is this the greatest scheduling fail in slam history?
What with this and the criminal act of slowing down the courts it is almost as if the organisers are going out of their way to fuck up. Fuck political correctness. The world was a far better place before all this shite. The fans should boycott the final to send out a message.
Roadmap is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote