What do you think "Super Saturday" or "Stupid Saturday"? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #16
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think "Super Saturday" or "Stupid Saturday"?

True. Moreover, it's a prime example of TV and dollars being prioritised over the integrity and wellbeing of the sport, so he'd never even countenance changing it if he had the power to.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #17
country flag cmurray

cmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond reputecmurray has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like it - for no other reason than that when 2 players are playing in the finals of a GS tourney, they should show up playing their best tennis. When they're both playing a best-of-five the day before, they AREN'T going to be playing their best. I think it sucks for the fans, personally.

Cheryl
cmurray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
country flag All_Slam_Andre

All_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason why Super Saturday exists, is that the USTA doesn't think that a day with just the women's final, and no men's tennis, will be enough to sell out the Arthur Ashe Stadium. I don't if they are right or not. For instance would the 2003 women's final between the two belgians have sold out if it hadn't followed two thrilling men's semi-finals, involving Agassi and Roddick? I think it still will have done but I'm not totally sure.
All_Slam_Andre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #19
country flag tennisace

tennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond repute

The one year I was able to get tickets it was great.
tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:24 PM   #20
country flag wally1

wally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Slam_Andre
Another reason why Super Saturday exists, is that the USTA doesn't think that a day with just the women's final, and no men's tennis, will be enough to sell out the Arthur Ashe Stadium. I don't if they are right or not. For instance would the 2003 women's final between the two belgians have sold out if it hadn't followed two thrilling men's semi-finals, involving Agassi and Roddick? I think it still will have done but I'm not totally sure.
Wimbledon manages to sell out the womens final on the Saturday (plus men's doubles) easily enough. I'm sure they could still do it even if the CC held as many as Ashe.
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #21
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

It is "Unfair Saturday". At least, they should pre-announce which semifinal goes first at the beginning of the tournament, the second semifinal winner has less time to recover than the first, other things being equal.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #22
country flag All_Slam_Andre

All_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond reputeAll_Slam_Andre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1
Wimbledon manages to sell out the womens final on the Saturday (plus men's doubles) easily enough. I'm sure they could still do it even if the CC held as many as Ashe.
I agree with that. I certainly think that the USTA are seriously underestimating women's tennis here.
All_Slam_Andre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #23
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
True. Moreover, it's a prime example of TV and dollars being prioritised over the integrity and wellbeing of the sport, so he'd never even countenance changing it if he had the power to.
Yes, but one could argue that TV ratings, the generation of revenue $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and exposure in general IS for the wellbeing of the sport. Not for the well-being of players necessarily, but probably for the sport. Players just kind of get shafted, especially whoever plays the 2nd SF.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #24
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1

10k more???

hmmm, I doubt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #25
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Slam_Andre
I don't think that's true in recent years, as the Women's final is no longer sandwiched between the men's semis, but has become the Marquee night event with prime time showing and all the spectacle of a Olympics opening ceremonies.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #26
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan
Yes, but one could argue that TV ratings, the generation of revenue $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and exposure in general IS for the wellbeing of the sport. Not for the well-being of players necessarily, but probably for the sport. Players just kind of get shafted, especially whoever plays the 2nd SF.
No use arguing with a guy who thinks the Williams sisters ruined the women's game.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:09 AM   #27
country flag cedez

cedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond reputecedez has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather see the players rested and play a great final than have the Super Saturday. Some players spend a lot more time on court then others. It's harder to recover from multiple 5 set matches then if breezing through the draw in 3 set matches. (i.e. Agassi/Federer 2005) It was a good match, but I wonder if it would have been even better if Agassi had had a day off before the final.
cedez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:24 AM   #28
country flag JW10S

JW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond reputeJW10S has a reputation beyond repute

I both like and dislike it. While it makes for a great day of tennis with the men's semi's and the women's finals it is tough on the players and has at times made for some lackluster finals. But it's a bit better than it used to be when the men's matches were sandwiched around the womens final--then the winner of the second semi was at even more of disadvantage the next day.
JW10S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:11 AM   #29
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJamitis
R. Federer - stop the excuses. If these players are in the shape they claim, they'll be fine.

Players, like Andy M. and Novak are the only ones who couldn't make it. The more likely semifinalist - Roddick, Federer, Nadal, Gonzalez, Marcos, Berdych, etc. - have NO EXCUSES!
Blake, there are no excuses. It is very simple, if all players are fit that's great but they are not machines. So even though they can come back and play a good match, the player with less time to recover will be less fresh. Sure, they can compete, win games, win sets, and maybe even win the match. But they will be doing it without being as fresh as the player who gets more time to recover.

Also, I would add James to the group along with Andy M and Novak
Old 08-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #30
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid Saturday.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote