Gay Men tennis players should come out - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
country flag Jordanjames

Jordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gay men on the ATP tour

Why is the ATP tour trying to hide the gay men? I notice when I watch tennis matches the ESPN 2 commentators always talk about Tim Henman and his wife having a child, or at the US OPEN they talk about Agassi and his two children. Or they will talk about Roddick and his various women..or about Federer's girlfriend or Haas women. Yet I wonder why is this heterosexuality thrown into my face? Why can't the ATP have the courage that the WTA has.? Everyone knows that Australian Open champion Amelie Mauresmo is a lesbian and an out and proud lesbian. We know that Renee Stubbs just outed herself in the Australian newspaper The AGE at the Australian open.We also know that Renee's ex girlfriend and doubles partner is Lisa Raymond. Conchita Martinez and Gigi Fernandez used to be a couple. Hana Mandlikova and Jana Novotna have a house together in Belgium. Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova are out and proud lesbians. Yet where are the gay men? Am I supposed to believe only one gay man ever existed in tennis the openly gay 1920s tennis champion Bill Tilden? Tennis is an individual sport..so there is no reason why a male tennis player should hide his homosexuality. And where are the gay male athletes as role models? Sheryl Swoopes had the guts to declare she is a lesbian and she's a superstar WNBA player. I think the time has come that the gay men on the ATP tour come out....
Jordanjames is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
country flag LoveFifteen

LoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond reputeLoveFifteen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay men on the ATP tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanjames
Why is the ATP tour trying to hide the gay men?
The ATP is not trying to hide the gay men. No gay players have come out of the closet. That's hardly the ATP's fault.
LoveFifteen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
country flag Federerthebest

Federerthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond reputeFedererthebest has a reputation beyond repute

yes, it's all a conspiracy to hide the gay men

:retard:
Federerthebest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why is the ATP tour trying to hide the gay men? I notice when I watch tennis matches the ESPN 2 commentators always talk about Tim Henman and his wife having a child, or at the US OPEN they talk about Agassi and his two children. Or they will talk about Roddick and his various women..or about Federer's girlfriend or Haas women. Yet I wonder why is this heterosexuality thrown into my face? Why can't the ATP have the courage that the WTA has.? Everyone knows that Australian Open champion Amelie Mauresmo is a lesbian and an out and proud lesbian. We know that Renee Stubbs just outed herself in the Australian newspaper The AGE at the Australian open.We also know that Renee's ex girlfriend and doubles partner is Lisa Raymond. Conchita Martinez and Gigi Fernandez used to be a couple. Hana Mandlikova and Jana Novotna have a house together in Belgium. Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova are out and proud lesbians. Yet where are the gay men? Am I supposed to believe only one gay man ever existed in tennis the openly gay 1920s tennis champion Bill Tilden? Tennis is an individual sport..so there is no reason why a male tennis player should hide his homosexuality. And where are the gay male athletes as role models? Sheryl Swoopes had the guts to declare she is a lesbian and she's a superstar WNBA player. I think the time has come that the gay men on the ATP tour come out....
Unfortunately, you may never hear of any male player "outing" himself. A man's sexual preference is a big part of his identity (add to that the fact that men's egos are so fragile), so I doubt very seriously that one would be bold enough to put himself in that situation.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
country flag ezekiel

ezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond repute

because men are pussies
ezekiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
kerrie1981

kerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond reputekerrie1981 has a reputation beyond repute

Your points are eloquently put, but you are being very unrealistic. How many Hollywood actors are out of closet? How many professional baseball players? How many politicians? How many CEOs? Tennis is no different, and maybe it shouldn't be. Gay men who choose not to publicize their sexual preference to whole world are not pussies. They are private. And there's REALLY nothing wrong with THAT!
kerrie1981 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:51 AM   #7
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
because men are pussies
Here, truly, is a passionate voice that cries out for homosexual rights and freedoms on the ATP Tour.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:51 AM   #8
country flag Jordanjames

Jordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond reputeJordanjames has a reputation beyond repute

BUT tennis is an individual sport right, so where is the fear? This is what I don't understand. Everyone loves Amelie she is a major superstar in France, she is constantly on the cover of Paris Match a major French magazine. Amelie has endrosements with Reebok, and other major companies..and we love her. Fans straight and gay love Amelie..we love her courage..to live her life and be out and proud. So would tennis fans really turn on a male tennis star if he was gay? That's my question for tennis fans. Would you care if say a top male tennis player was gay?
Look at the WTA tour there are so many out lesbians and fans still support women's tennis in droves. So what's wrong with men? Why are the men cowards? This is supposeed to be the 21st century? So why is there the fear? If Amelie can do it..then what's then a top male player should do it...tooo...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:52 AM   #9
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

sigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond reputesigmagirl91 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BUT tennis is an individual sport right, so where is the fear? This is what I don't understand. Everyone loves Amelie she is a major superstar in France, she is constantly on the cover of Paris Match a major French magazine. Amelie has endrosements with Reebok, and other major companies..and we love her. Fans straight and gay love Amelie..we love her courage..to live her life and be out and proud. So would tennis fans really turn on a male tennis star if he was gay? That's my question for tennis fans. Would you care if say a top male tennis player was gay?
Look at the WTA tour there are so many out lesbians and fans still support women's tennis in droves. So what's wrong with men? Why are the men cowards? This is supposeed to be the 21st century? So why is there the fear? If Amelie can do it..then what's then a top male player should do it...tooo...
Again...male ego.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
country flag Jordanjames

Maybe it is the male ego, but it is just suprising because on the WTA tour..and the LPGA tour you have Rosie Jones and Patty Sheean as out lesbians, in the WNBA you have Sheryl Swoopes. And I agree with Sheyl Swoopes there is the stereotype about the lesbian athlete...but Sheryl is correct..there are gay male athletes out there..and its time they came out of the closet...If Sheryl can do it..they should do it too..it never hurt Amelie, or Sheryl or Patty Sheean or Rosie Jones careers by coming out..in fact they became MORE FAMOUS..made MORE MONEY and ENDORSEMENTS..
Old 02-25-2006, 01:03 AM   #11
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Maybe it is the male ego, but it is just suprising because on the WTA tour..and the LPGA tour you have Rosie Jones and Patty Sheean as out lesbians, in the WNBA you have Sheryl Swoopes. And I agree with Sheyl Swoopes there is the stereotype about the lesbian athlete...but Sheryl is correct..there are gay male athletes out there..and its time they came out of the closet...If Sheryl can do it..they should do it too..it never hurt Amelie, or Sheryl or Patty Sheean or Rosie Jones careers by coming out..in fact they became MORE FAMOUS..made MORE MONEY and ENDORSEMENTS..
I don't know why more men won't come out. I would attribute that to how men perceive themselves. Women do not associate their identity with their sexual orientation like men do. It's a huge mental leap for a man to reconcile himself with the fact that he is homosexual, never mind informing the rest of the world.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #12
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Yeeessss..... it COULD be the male ego, or some other fashionable piece of psychoanalysis, or it could be that a) there aren't any gay players at the highest, most visible ranks of the game, or b) they don't think it's worth the hassle. Not fear of discrimination or loss of popularity, just an extra piece of baggage - you know, "What message do you have for your gay fans in Australia?", a question that I believe was asked of a rather dumbstruck Mauresmo at the AO this year.

I don't see heterosexuality being thrown at me when I watch tennis coverage, either. If MTF were truly representative of tennis then one would certainly have sexuality of all kinds being thrown around, but thankfully it is not. I doubt they are trying to oppress you, simply attempting to provide human interest pieces. Who can forget Pavel's drive from RG to Germany to be present at the birth of his child, effectively guaranteeing his QF defeat to Corretja the next day? I don't think anyone would begrudge hearing stories like that, even if most of the fluff we hear is somewhat extraneous and irrelevant to the game itself.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:07 AM   #13
country flag Jordanjames

As a young gay male I think its important that gay role models come out. Its important for society in general that gay people be three dimensional people. I applaud the lesbian athletes such as Amelie Mauresmo for coming out because Amelie is such a great tennis player and a nice person.she shows society that being gay isn't much different then being straight. I don't like it that on the ATP tour there is this false image of heterosexuality when in fact we know due to science there are gay men in the ATP tour. So yes, I applaud lesbians such as Amelie Mauresmo, Sheryl Swoopes for being the brave women they are and declaring they are gay. One thing I find annoying about straight people is the false assumption that being gay is just about sexuality or sex. Being gay is more then just sexuality it composes a big part of who you are as a person. For example, I turn on the TV and I see the camera on Agassi or Henman's or Hewitt's child. And the heterosexual tennis commentators go on and on about heterosexuality and marriage. Do you know why they do this? They do this to promote heterosexuality and also to say that Agassi and Henman are some how "productive" citizens..and "good fathers" and "good men" because they are straight. Yet with gay athletes are still treated with disdain..but not so much by Amelie and Sheryl because they broke the door of homophobia down..they show us..by bringing their girlfriends to their tennis matches..that they have a right to love and a right to live openly just as heterosexuals. And if some gay men tennis players came out they would shatter the image that gay men cannot be masculine and athletes...and that's just not true.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
country flag lilfairyprincess

lilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond reputelilfairyprincess has a reputation beyond repute

"Why are the men cowards? This is supposeed to be the 21st century? So why is there the fear? If Amelie can do it..then what's then a top male player should do it...tooo... "

I don't have any experience with "coming out" but I have a few friends who have and i can tell you they found it hard enough telling their family and friends that they wer gay nevermind the whole world..so to call people "coawards" for not wanting to share with the world what is reali none of our business anyway is a bit uncalled for imo.

I don't reali get wat all the fuss is about.. its up to each individual person to decide when they want to publically "come out" ..if they want to at all. It's really none of our business what these people decide to do in their personal lives
lilfairyprincess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #15
country flag sigmagirl91
Miss Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomexican08
I agreee it is there decision, i don't think the atp is trying to hide it, but they do promote how much of studs most of their players are.
Men=macho