I love you Andy! 4 gs finals in 4 years not bad!(Andy's US Open Thread!!!!) - Page 142 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #2116
country flag williaer

williaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond reputewilliaer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You can be betterer than Federer! I believe in you.(Andy's US Open Thread!!!!)

Connors impressed with Roddick

September 11, 2006 JIMMY Connors is convinced he has a pupil capable of bringing down Roger Federer after watching Andy Roddick boss the world No.1 around before eventually succumbing in the US Open final.

Roddick was a desperate man at a mental low after dropping out of the world's top 10 for the first time in his career when he lured the legendary Connors out of the tennis wilderness and into the coaching fray after a third-round loss at Wimbledon.

What Connors saw in Roddick - less than two months later and despite a 6-2 4-6 7-5 6-1 loss to Federer - warmed the heart of the 54-year-old eight-times grand slam champion.

"I'm proud of him," Connors said. "The way he took everything and soaked it up and wasn't afraid to do it, incredible. And, over a six-week period, from where he was to where he is now, that's your story."

Roddick charged the net at every opportunity and, at one set apiece, 2-2 in the third and with Federer serving at love-40, a massive upset looked on the cards.

"I liked his attitude. I liked his guts. I like a kid who's not afraid to get in there and mix it up - win, lose or draw - and who's not afraid to put his reputation and his game on the line every time," Connors said.

"Now, that's what he's willing to do. Plus I like the way he played. On top of everything, he played like a man. He lost like a man. It's heading in the right direction."

It was Roddick's 11th loss in 12 career meetings with Federer, but the gallant manner of this defeat gave the 2003 Open champion and his coach renewed hope that a second grand slam title could be around the corner.

"I gave myself a shot today," Roddick said. "That's all I could ask for. I wanted to make it tough. I played my heart out. I tried my best. I'm excited.

"I feel like I have a lot of room for improvement still. I've just got to keep working. That's it."

Connors, who still holds the record for the longest unbroken reign as world No.1 with 160 consecutive weeks between 1974-77, had been off the tennis radar for the past 16 years since retiring and had no desire to ever coach.

He was adamant he'd only ever tutor his children, until seeing something special in Roddick.

"It was either my kids or nobody, so for Andy to fit into the mould is pretty cool," Connors said.

"Obviously, Federer's the guy everybody's chasing and the way Roddick played tonight for the first three sets, I'm so encouraged by the kid, it's unbelievable.

"The way he works, the way he trains and - he said it - the most important thing is he went out and enjoyed himself. I don't think he enjoyed playing tennis the last year or so.

"Federer's a great player and he is the number one player in the world, but now there's three men (including Rafael Nadal) in the mix. Make no mistake."

AAP

---

I LOVE JIMMY.
williaer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #2117
country flag Caren

Caren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You can be betterer than Federer! I believe in you.(Andy's US Open Thread!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaer
Roddick amps up game
September 11, 2006

"The start was great, the finish was great," Federer said after holding off Roddick, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1. "What was in between really doesn't matter."
OMG, just adds to my dislike of him more. What was in between made the match you jerk
Caren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #2118
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston's Human
Frankly, I read Andy's "Tiger" response as "I could not care less who was in Roger's box. Why are you asking me?"
Andy has oppenly supported Tiger in regards to his slump, I think he would have expected Tiger not to be so oppenly present on Roger's box. I suppose legends attract legends... is Connors a legend right?
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #2119
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love you Andy! 4 gs finals in 4 years not bad!(Andy's US Open Thread!!!!)

Good match I am happy and truth is I didn't feel like Andy played his best. Andy should have broken in that 0-40 game, if he did then who knows he may have been up 2 sets to 1 and then it was really in the cards for an upset. I am so proud of him, I can't wait for another slam and another shot for Andy to win. I know Jimmy and Andy believe he can do it.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #2120
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love you Andy! 4 gs finals in 4 years not bad!(Andy's US Open Thread!!!!)

I oficially can't read Roger's press conferences. Gosh, he sounds so cocky.
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #2121
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Roger...lol. So annoying.

It's ok, everyone knows that's he's not the story of the open. That's why he acted so ridiculous when he won for some attention.

Anyways, um...what's Andy next event?

Bankok? Lyon?

He had a great indoor season last year, if he continues this form it's probably going to be a better indoor season this year..lol
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #2122
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

"That's why I try not to go to see the Swiss guys too much, because I know what it could do for them, you know. They look in the box and say, Oh, shit, Roger's here (laughter)."

Roger said shit in a press conference.

Ryan, I'm not sure what his next tourney is... we'd have to wait for the MasterDeb to answer that.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #2123
country flag Caren

Caren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond reputeCaren has a reputation beyond repute

I think Deb said earlier that he was entered for Tokyo but the next tournament she sees him logically playing is Vienna because Tokyo is just after Davis Cup.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #2124
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Davis Cup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren
I think Deb said earlier that he was entered for Tokyo but the next tournament she sees him logically playing is Vienna because Tokyo is just after Davis Cup.
Yes, that is my opinion exactly

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #2125
country flag Carito_90

Oh right right. Sometimes I forget DC is in TWO WEEKS! WOOHOOO I CAN'T WAIT.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #2126
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blosson
Andy has oppenly supported Tiger in regards to his slump, I think he would have expected Tiger not to be so oppenly present on Roger's box. I suppose legends attract legends... is Connors a legend right?
More like Nike attracts Nike.

Davis Cup is going to be very interesting this month. All eyes will be on Lleyton in Argentina. The US's only chance of beating Russia on clay will be if the mentally fragile Russians all oaf out again. Well, probably not that extreme but we'll need some help in that department.

I would love to see Andy do well during the European indoor season, rack up a new trophy or two. Another masters title would be very nice.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 09-11-2006 at 03:10 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #2127
country flag knight_ley
KIWI. A KIEFER KIWI.

knight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond reputeknight_ley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by liptea
this is a very good post. I approve.

ANDY'S APPROVAL!!!!

AA 4 LYFE!!1!!11!!!!!!11!!!11!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #2128
country flag zoltan83

zoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond reputezoltan83 has a reputation beyond repute

Despite he lost, I'm not sad but pretty happy. It was a great match and it's nice to see that Andy is back I'm proud of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli_V View Post
Nicoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!, you rule
zoltan83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #2129
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

great title to retire a thread with...

And that article about Jimmy saying he would only ever tutor his kids, until roddick came along...Super cool!
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #2130
country flag Caren

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDeb
Yes, that is my opinion exactly