Green links in posts ????? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:35 PM   #46
country flag Steve
webmaster

Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green links in posts ?????

I wanted to post this story up for you all to read. As a Subaru owner I frequent this site and ran across this story a few months back. Every forum Admin with a growing site experiences what these people have gone through with constantly needing to upgrade and the costs involved in hardware and monthly hosting fees etc etc.

NASIOC History

The beginnings of the club were started in April of 1999 by Alex Shikhmuradov and Robert Eldridge-Waks. At that time, Alex had been running a personal website called "Imprezer's Lair" that contained visual documentation of modifications for the Impreza 2.5RS. Robert had designed a separate website that contained a products database, that listed many of the performance parts available for the Impreza 2.5RS at the time, and a dealership reviews section, aimed at providing future Impreza buyers with reviews of Subaru dealerships and service departments throughout North America. These two websites formed the basis for the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, or NASIOC for short. The online club quickly became the most popular site in North America dedicated to the Impreza due to the strength of its message board; the board was visited not only by North American members and vendors, but also by many vendors and Impreza enthusiasts from around the globe.

As traffic to the site became too heavy for the current server to handle, Alex and Robert started to look for a new and stable home for the "i-club" website. Enter Nick Catalfamo, Impreza enthusiast, server operator and Cold Fusion programming wiz. Nick offered to host the site and provide help to both of the original "i-club" creators. Besides heavy traffic, another problem became apparent. Although members of the club could engage freely in discussion with one another, they had nowhere to "document" their membership. With skill and patience, Nick was able to design an excellent Members Database that allowed members to post pictures of their cars, as well as list modifications done to them. As of September 2000, there were nearly 200 members of the club, as well as 2500 registered message board users. Thus, with three people on the creative team, the club was growing very rapidly.

As word spread about the club, many regional clubs were formed such as NESIC (New England Subaru Impreza Club), BAIC (Bay Area Impreza Club) and the HIIC (Hawaiian Islands Impreza Club) to name a few. North American Subaru Legacy, Forester and SVX owners were also joining the ranks along with Impreza enthusiasts as members. With this steadily increasing amount of people constantly uploading and reloading the club website, Nick's server was no longer capable of handling the more than 2 gigabytes of traffic per day. The creators turned to the loyal members and asked them to donate funds towards the purchase of a new, more powerful server. Within a few months, roughly $3000.00 was collected and the new home for the club was purchased. This marked a new stage of expansion for the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club.

With the introduction of the Subaru Impreza WRX to the North American marketplace in early 2001 the club saw a tremendous increase in membership and traffic to the website. With over 10,000 registered users by January of 2001, the new server was beginning to struggle to keep up with the clubs explosive growth. Juggling the costs associated with keeping the site up and running while upgrading the hardware was becoming increasingly difficult and the decision was made to begin to sell vendor access and advertising on the on the website to not only keep it operating, but to help it grow as well. By doing this the club was able to purchase several additional servers and double the connection speed of the sites connection to the internet. This was a huge step forward for the accessibility and the future of the club.

By July of 2002 the site had over 20,000 Subaru enthusiasts registered as members and participating in the forums. The site had become a huge asset to not only the enthusiasts that visited it daily, but to the vendors, who were able to market their products directly to their customers, and Subaru of America as it sought feedback from those that owned Subaru cars.

November 2002 brought some unexpected changes to the club. Alex decided to separate from the club in order to start another Subaru enthusiast website of his own. Nick, with the support of the club membership, vowed to keep the current site alive and growing well into the future. The decision was made to change the domain name of the club to www.nasioc.com as a minor restructuring was done to better cater to the clubs members, beginning yet another stage of growth for the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club.

etc etc etc etc
Steve is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #47
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
Thank all of you for proving my point if your opinion isn't agreed with you get all upset! My heart bleeds! And the reason I upgraded MY membership was so I could make more vCash on my posts! And if all of you just want a place to "chat about tennis" form a chat group!
No one's upset because they don't agree with you, they are just stating that they don't agree with you.

You do realize that vCash isn't real money and you can't actually do anything with it except make bets here at MTF and even then its still fake money and you CAN"T BUY ANYTHING WITH IT!?

We don't need to form a tennis chat group, someone already thought of that and created MENS TENNIS FORUMS, a place where, oddly enough, people talk about MENS TENNIS. Does it make sense to you now Mae?

Steve, I appreciate that you are working on it, but even getting to this area to check for an update was a chore (and I don't even want to tell you what that article you posted looks like). Those green links aren't going to make you any money if everyone is suspicious of them and refuses to click on them. Please reconsider this. Thanks.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #48
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Corwin
I don't see them anymore now but I did remember seeing a huge green banner link for the US Open in Fee's signature and was wondering why she was running that kind of a promotion
Wow. Ad links inserted into people's signatures without the sig owner's permission? That is just the lamest of the lame.

This is the first time I ever seen highlighted green links (Kontera(?)) on messageboards. Perhaps if we got rid of all of the Federer fans would that make the server run better?
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 08-23-2006 at 03:10 PM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #49

Let the Admin. take away from this site everything, but "tennis chat" and they won't have to worry about server problems because the membership will drop. Posters have already said they don't agree with me, so why keep saying it? And why everytime I bring up vCash does someone tell me it isn't "real money"? Of course, it isn't "real money"! It provides me the means to do one of the things I like to do on MTF which is vBet. And there are other posters that like to vBet also. I'm far from the only person that places vBets here. And I checked before I logged in and I didn't notice any green links. If more people would upgrade their membership, maybe the Admin. wouldn't have to look for ways to make money? When I tried to promote upgraded membership there were people that acted like the site didn't need the money and that upgraded membership wasn't important. Well obviously the site does need money. And I have paid my money so I have done my part for this site.
View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #50
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
Let the Admin. take away from this site everything, but "tennis chat" and they won't have to worry about server problems because the membership will drop. Posters have already said they don't agree with me, so why keep saying it? And why everytime I bring up vCash does someone tell me it isn't "real money"? Of course, it isn't "real money"! It provides me the means to do one of the things I like to do on MTF which is vBet. And there are other posters that like to vBet also. I'm far from the only person that places vBets here. And I checked before I logged in and I didn't notice any green links. If more people would upgrade their membership, maybe the Admin. wouldn't have to look for ways to make money? When I tried to promote upgraded membership there were people that acted like the site didn't need the money and that upgraded membership wasn't important. Well obviously the site does need money. And I have paid my money so I have done my part for this site.
1) this isn't about you, it's about the board as a whole. Are you saying that you are willing to have people who have posted here (way before you, I want to add) who are ready to leave because the site as it is now makes it impossible to browse just so you can vbet? Once again you have completely misunderstood everything people have said. Lots of people like vbetting (though I will never understand your obsession with it.), however, I think that lots MORE people would be willing to give it up if it meant these green things could be gotten rid of and people wouldn't have to LEAVE. since you told those of us who actually want to talk about tennis to leave and start our own forum, if you want to vbet so badly, start your own forum that's just for vbetting We're trying to throw out constructive suggestions that might help the board be able to run happily for all, and you keep throwing it in our faces saying we're just disagreeing with you. Get off your high horse about the vbetting and try to see the bigger picture, please.

2) not everyone HAS the money to pay, so consider yourself lucky that you have money laying around to be able to put some to a message board. I think that for people who can't pay for whatever reason, they still should be able to come to MTF and enjoy it. I would not want MTF to turn into an elitist pay-only type of place.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #51
country flag Tommy_Babyboy

Tommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess It is not quite fair that premium members have vcash privileges.
They earn vcash faster.
So all rest nonpremium should feel infringed...

Id like to say else that vbetting is not only one purpose to come here but funny extra interest to surf the forum.
Like blogs...
I miss vbetting..two days..

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

WHATEVER HAPPENS
WE LOVE YOU, TOMMY!

Last edited by Tommy_Babyboy : 08-23-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Tommy_Babyboy is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 05:24 PM   #52
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

Judging the immense load of traffic this forum causes and thus requiring new hardware I can only understand that those behind the scenes who have to pay the bill for the monthly traffic and this purchase try to get that money back now. At least temporarily for now, as Steve said. However, I don't think it is right that these green links lead to strange things, tracking cookies or whatever some told us (while assuming this, I should note hereby that I did not check myself, but I only rely and trust upon people who reported that... so is that true?). In times of online security being really important, that would be a true weakness for me and it is for those you might get affected by this.

One other question: how many "green links" do you see on this page? I logged out and viewed this page and a few previous ones as a guest and I only saw two or three of such links on each page (15 posts per page setup). If you go with your mouse over this link there comes a small overlay and if you take your mouse away from the link it disappears again. I would say that's bearable, or do others get more links because it depends upon where you are coming from or other setups?

And Fee, I'm quite sure that Mae understands that vCash is only fake money even though she is obviously mad for this feature I personally have almost no interest in this feature, but I can understand that if somebody is enjoying especially one part/feature of our forum that s/he is unhappy if it doesn't work as you enjoy it. Sure, we are a men's tennis forum, but the forum made lots of changes and added new sections and the clientele of this site grew bigger by installing things such as non-tennis & chat threads (there are people who have 99.99% of their posts only in this section and hardly talk about tennis... so that's okay too) or the gambling forum (which attracted bettors). Some others only post in PAW or other game on the site. I don't like all kind of them (worst being gamblers who are no real tennis fans and then come and complain about an injured player because it lost their bet), but I learnt to respect, bear or deal with pretty much all of them.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 08-23-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #53
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Finally has my first crash of browser when I tried to enter Rainer's thread. It crashed twice before I finally get in and out of the thread intact
Lee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #54
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I quit after my browser crashed again.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #55
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

For those who are having problems, are you using Firefox? I'd strongly recommend it.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #56
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #57
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

It seems the green link and Illinuera's siggy don't work together for me. I noticed my browser crash whenever he/she has post on the page.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #58

I made a suggestion. Let all people that can upgrade their membership!
And Deb you keep talking about all the "poor" people on MTF, however, I keep reading posts where people write about going to tennis tournaments sometimes even in countries other than their home country! Also going on vacations to places I can't afford to go. Is everyone just making up these stories to try to impress other people? I think there are a lot of people here that have plenty of money. A lot more money than I do. They just don't want to spend it here because they can get what they want for free. But then there is the problem of paying for MTF. We are working toward a membership of 23,000 the last time I looked at the membership count. And how many paying members do we have? That I don't know because it isn't posted anywhere, but it would be interesting to know. Membership for a year is $19.99. That works out to be (rounding it up to the next whole number) $1.67 per month. I'm sure many of our membership could pay that amount without hurting their life style any at all!
View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
It seems the green link and Illinuera's siggy don't work together for me. I noticed my browser crash whenever he/she has post on the page.
Lee Neely is very good at working on signatures and crashes. We have had a number of them in Tommy Haas' Forum. She can find the problem and work it out. But you have already apparently found the problem yourself so it should be easy to correct.
View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #60
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
I made a suggestion. Let all people that can upgrade their membership!
And Deb you keep talking about all the "poor" people on MTF, however, I keep reading posts where people write about going to tennis tournaments sometimes even in countries other than their home country! Also going on vacations to places I can't afford to go. Is everyone just making up these stories to try to impress other people? I think there are a lot of people here that have plenty of money. A lot more money than I do. They just don't want to spend it here because they can get what they want for free. But then there is the problem of paying for MTF. We are working toward a membership of 23,000 the last time I looked at the membership count. And how many paying members do we have? That I don't know because it isn't posted anywhere, but it would be interesting to know. Membership for a year is $19.99. That works out to be (rounding it up to the next whole number) $1.67 per month. I'm sure many of our membership could pay that amount without hurting their life style any at all!

Of course I can afford to pay for premium without putting a dent in my lifestyle, but last time I checked this was a free message board and there is no obligation to pay.
Closed Thread