Green links in posts ????? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:08 PM   #31
country flag Steve
webmaster

Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green links in posts ?????

The upgraded servers will allow us to do things like this without having to worry about load. I figure since we have them we can offer ways of utilizing them. Keep in mind, these are only suggestions I was throwing out there as an example. Over time once we get things a little bit more organized and functional we will start a suggestions thread and begin implementing. Ive always loved the voting system on VB so I figure we gather a bunch of suggestions then we all vote on them. Its all up to you members.
Steve is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #32
country flag shotgun

shotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond reputeshotgun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDeb
Thanks steve, appreciate your post. I can only speak for myself, but I come here to talk about tennis. Things like having avatars, different skins, the games, reputation, vbetting, etc, are nice and all, but I would give those up in an instant if it would help the board run more smoothly so that we can do what we came here for - chat and talk about tennis. Would getting rid of any of these things help the strain on the servers so that some of these other measures wouldn't be necessary?
pff... I'd give up General Messages for PAW any day.
shotgun is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #33
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Steve for your response.

For me, the "green link" didn't crash my browser, it's just slow down when I load pages or roll up or down a page. I understand the cost of running a message board this size and how expansive for all those servers, thus, I'm not complaining about ads, etc. Just the "green link" is pretty invasive (lots more than pop ups or whatever advertisement on my page).
Lee is online now View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #34
country flag wtn_amanda

wtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond reputewtn_amanda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDeb
Thanks steve, appreciate your post. I can only speak for myself, but I come here to talk about tennis. Things like having avatars, different skins, the games, reputation, vbetting, etc, are nice and all, but I would give those up in an instant if it would help the board run more smoothly so that we can do what we came here for - chat and talk about tennis. Would getting rid of any of these things help the strain on the servers so that some of these other measures wouldn't be necessary?
You have to remember different people like this site for different reasons. We've pulled certain features before to reduce the strain on our servers, and the negative reaction far outweighed the positive. While I'm sure some would agree with you, you'd be amazed how attached people grow to features like avatars and their signatures they've spent time creating. It's a balancing act, but I do feel it would be ashame to scale back completely on all the great features the software brings to the overall community experience.
wtn_amanda is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 12:18 AM   #35
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your responses, Steve and Amanda.

While I understand all the work and dedication that goes behind the scenes to make this forum a great place for everyone, I too agree the green ad linking is a little too much. I've accidentally clicked on one of those before, and unless you have all the right anti-virus, pop-up blocker, and anti-spyware stuff working well, they manage to plant little evil cookies and trackers and they can just totally screw up someone's computer. This makes it very difficult for the member to post or navigate through this site and it starts a vicious cycle of "bad site...fewer posters...less popular, worse site.....even fewer posters."

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:27 AM   #36
country flag Mario66

Mario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond reputeMario66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Corwin
Thank you for your responses, Steve and Amanda.

While I understand all the work and dedication that goes behind the scenes to make this forum a great place for everyone, I too agree the green ad linking is a little too much. I've accidentally clicked on one of those before, and unless you have all the right anti-virus, pop-up blocker, and anti-spyware stuff working well, they manage to plant little evil cookies and trackers and they can just totally screw up someone's computer. This makes it very difficult for the member to post or navigate through this site and it starts a vicious cycle of "bad site...fewer posters...less popular, worse site.....even fewer posters."
Every word above is true.

I would like to see a one member here in MTF, who likes/accepts them.

You must get rid of those green links a.s.a.p. and find something else instead of that.

Marat Safin
Mario Lemieux

Roger Federer

Carlitos Tevez

Simo Eerikäinen
Mario66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 AM   #37
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtn_amanda
You have to remember different people like this site for different reasons. We've pulled certain features before to reduce the strain on our servers, and the negative reaction far outweighed the positive. While I'm sure some would agree with you, you'd be amazed how attached people grow to features like avatars and their signatures they've spent time creating. It's a balancing act, but I do feel it would be ashame to scale back completely on all the great features the software brings to the overall community experience.
I understand that, and I enjoy all these extras too, but I'd rather not have an av or a sig or be able to play pong than to have people so annoyed by these green links that they leave, and I think most people would rather give up some of these things and not have these, if the response in this thread is any indication of how others feel.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 03:34 AM   #38
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

i say get rid of everything avatars,sigs..everything even usernames give us numbers i call 7
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 AM   #39
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses, Steve and Amanda...

I am one of those who has become so frustrated in the last 24 hours that I am about to leave until someone tells me it's safe to come back. I completely understand the need for income to sustain the site, but I also question the need for all of these extra toys at this forum. This is a tennis forum and people come here to talk about tennis. Some of those same people like to talk about other things, and we have areas for them. Although I do like the photo galleries, I'm not sure video hosting would be necessary since so many people here just use youtube and usendit already (and it could open you up to serious liability, couldn't it?).

I use Internet Explorer (updated) and AOL to browse the forum, with a DSL connection. The forum is noticeably slower since yesterday. Also, it's just plain annoying to see one word in someone's post turn green as I'm reading it. Even though I have all kinds of protective software on my computer, there is no way I'm going to click on any of those links (and how smart are they anyway if they think the word Gambill is a verb?).

Please reconsider this, there has to be a less invasive way to find income for this forum and keep it the biggest and best tennis board on the 'internets'.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 04:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
The upgraded servers will allow us to do things like this without having to worry about load. I figure since we have them we can offer ways of utilizing them. Keep in mind, these are only suggestions I was throwing out there as an example. Over time once we get things a little bit more organized and functional we will start a suggestions thread and begin implementing. Ive always loved the voting system on VB so I figure we gather a bunch of suggestions then we all vote on them. Its all up to you members.
How nice a webmaster I didn't know about either. Nice to meet you Steve. Steve we already have paid membership here. It's just that not many people will pay. I have paid. Yet I'm constantly put down in MTF for what I like about it!
And what I like about it has been changed! So don't be expecting any more money out of me Oh BTW posters since I have paid I don't see any of the green links you are talking about. I had to just come to the site as a person just reading the site without any membership to see what you were talking about.

Last edited by 16681 : 08-23-2006 at 04:43 AM.
View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #41
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
Steve we already have paid membership here.
I think, as the webmaster, he already knows that the site offers premium memberships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
And what I like about it has been changed! So don't be expecting any more money out of me
All you seem to care about is vbetting. There was a time when this board had no vbetting, and gasp, we had to talk about tennis. And even though I myself cannot see the ads, it bothers me that some long time and valuable posters here are so frustrated that they are thinking of leaving, I think that's a far more important problem than the fact that your vcash has changed. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
Oh BTW posters since I have paid I don't see any of the green links you are talking about. I had to just come to the site as a person just reading the site without any membership to see what you were talking about.
Yes, the point of paying is to not have ads. Duh.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #42
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae
... I had to just come to the site as a person...
What were you coming here as before? A gelatinous mass?

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #43

Thank all of you for proving my point if your opinion isn't agreed with you get all upset! My heart bleeds! And the reason I upgraded MY membership was so I could make more vCash on my posts! And if all of you just want a place to "chat about tennis" form a chat group!
View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #44
country flag Tommy_Babyboy

Tommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond reputeTommy_Babyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The forum is noticeably slower since yesterday.
=======
Me too (LAN)

Quote:
I have all kinds of protective software on my computer, there is no way I'm going to click on any of those links
==============
Agree. Im tired of cleaning spywares...

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

WHATEVER HAPPENS
WE LOVE YOU, TOMMY!
Tommy_Babyboy is offline View My Blog!  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #45
country flag Steve
webmaster

Steve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond reputeSteve has a reputation beyond repute

No sense in arguing amongst each other over this.
I will be working on this for most of the day. Again, this is a trial attempt to get some money back after purchasing the new servers. If it doesnt work and/or it crashes browsers etc. its gone.

In regards to the supreme membership ideas I am talking about enhancing it. Offering more perks. Some you may use and some you will not. I am just letting you know that the capability of enhancing the membership is there and can be implemented in due time.
The green ad's where not done offer perks, they where purschased to allow for growth of the site.
Now that we have them we may as well use them. They are some pretty serious machines and we are still tweaking them to optimize the speed. They also may seem slow at times as we do preventative maintenance on them.
Steve is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread