Michael Russell - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 AM   #76
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Michael Russell

Mike is back in training and cause he missed a large part of the year, he is fresher than most players, so he should be able to come into the New Year starting strongly.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #77
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

USTA Pro Circuit Player of the Week: Michael Russell

12/4/06 9:14 PM

Birthdate: May 1, 1978
Birthplace: Detroit, Mich.
Residence: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
Height: 5’ 8”
Weight: 160 lbs.
Plays: Right-handed; two-handed backhand
Turned pro: 1998

Michael Russell picked up his third USTA Pro Circuit singles title of 2006 Sunday, when he defeated Sam Warburg in the final of the Wailea $50,000 Men’s Challenger in Maui, Hawaii.

Seeded fifth in the draw, Russell cruised through his first three matches with straight-set wins over countrymen Chris Wettengel, Todd Widom and Brendan Evans. He dropped his only set of the week in his 5-7, 6-0, 6-1 semifinal upset over top-seed Paul Goldstein and then decisively knocked out No. 6 Warburg, 6-1, 6-0, for the championship.

Russell, who also reached the doubles semifinals in Maui with partner Harsh Mankad, has had an outstanding year on the USTA Pro Circuit – his eighth year as a pro. In addition to Maui, he took home singles titles at the $50,000 Bronx Challenger and the $15,000 Brownsville, Texas, Futures, giving him a total of 15 USTA singles championships, more than anyone in the history of the USTA Pro Circuit.

Other highlights for the 28-year-old right-hander from Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., include reaching the final at the Tulsa Challenger, the semifinals at the Champaign-Urbana and Atlanta Challengers and the quarterfinals at the Calabasas, Lubbock and Waikoloa Challengers. He also qualified into the US Open and put up a tough fight against No. 27-seed Gael Monfils before falling to the Frenchman in the opening round, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (4).

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #78
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=25699

Russell takes Wailea tourney
By KATHERINE BELCHER, Staff Writer

WAILEA – In a tennis tournament where all the participants are physically strong, winning often comes down to the player who is the mentally toughest at the end.

In the championship match at the Wailea Men’s Challenger, Michael Russell proved he was the mentally tougher player by defeating Sam Warburg 6-1, 6-0 on Sunday.

’’At this level, everyone plays well,’’ Russell said. ’’What separates people is mental ability.’’

Russell, the tournament’s No. 5 seed, said there are many elements to deal with in a match that are out of a players control – weather, bad calls, unlucky drops – and that winning and losing is decided by how a player handles those situations.

Just more than an hour before the championship match, Russell had to dispatch No. 1 seed Paul Goldstein. Their semifinal match on Saturday was postponed due to rain with Russell leading 4-0 in the third set, and the match tied at one set apiece.

The continuation of that match took place on Center Court, and Russell needed only three games to send Goldstein packing 5-7, 6-0, 6-1. It was a sign of things to come for Warburg, who was seeded sixth.

’’I was a little nervous this morning,’’ Russell said. ’’It was probably a good thing (to play) because it got me loose.’’

Russell started the match by breaking Warburg’s serve and quickly jumped out to a 4-0 lead, hitting winners from every area of the court. Russell seemed to get to every shot, and had an answer for every ball hit by Warburg.

When long rallies from the baseline weren’t working for Warburg, he started coming into net – but Russell answered with precision passing shots and winning lobs.

Warburg managed to hold his serve in the fifth game of the set, but it took 13 points and went to deuce four times. It was the only game Warburg would win, and Russell won the next two games to take the set.

It was more of the same in the second set, and Russell never faltered on his way to shutting out Warburg.

For his win, Russell earned 50 points toward his ATP ranking and $7,200 in prize money. Warburg earned 35 points and $4,240.

Warburg congratulated Russell after the match, and speaking to the crowd, said he hoped they appreciate the level of tennis that Russell played not just on Sunday, but all week.

’’I’m new to the tour – when you leave your friends at college, it’s unique to find friends on tour,’’ said Warburg, who played at Stanford. ’’Mike’s been like a big brother and had done a great job. I’m really happy for him, and I can’t complain about Hawaii – it’s great here. It’s been one of the best weeks of my career.’’

Russell said he felt good about his play all week, and that Warburg had also played well since the tournament began. Warburg was fighting off a cold during the championship, which combined with the heat and humidity, may have caused him to come out flat on Sunday, Russell said.

Russell seemed to sense the weakness and jumped on it early.

’’Overall I’m happy with my play,’’ Russell said. ’’I didn’t give him a lot of free points and I was able to counteract his good shots with my own good shots.’’

As for playing in the inaugural ATP challenger at Wailea, Russell said he enjoyed playing on Maui and was thankful for the tough competition.

’’This is a tough tournament,’’ said Russell. ’’Depth-wise it was very difficult, and it was good way to close out the season and prepare for the upcoming
season.’’

Russell said he’ll be heading to Australia on Christmas night to prepare for the Australian Open, which begins Jan. 15.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #79
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Mike is playing in the Noumea Challenger and then off to the AO qualies and from there will more than likely play another challenger and then go to Delray Beach.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #80
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to him. I am thinking the tennis channel broadcasts Delray Beach so .......
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 AM   #81
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Here is the draw for Noumea where Mike is the 4th seed and has a good section of the draw.

Nicolas Devilder [FRA, 1] vs. Qualifier
Alex Kuznetsov [USA] vs. Wayne Odesnik [USA]
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga [FRA] vs. Stéphane Bohli [SUI]
Jérémy Chardy [FRA, WC] vs. Noam Okun [ISR, 7]

Michael Russell [USA, 4] vs. Qualifier
Nicolas Tourte [FRA] vs. Alexandre Sidorenko [FRA, WC]
Marc López [ESP] vs. Thierry Ascione [FRA]
Ivo Klec [SVK] vs. Jean-Christophe Faurel [FRA, 5]

Mathieu Montcourt [FRA, 8] vs. Michal Przysiezny [POL]
David Guez [FRA] vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Jan Mertl [CZE]
Flavio Cipolla [ITA] vs. Gorka Fraile [ESP, 3]

Robin Haase [NED, 6] vs. Lukas Lacko [SVK]
Simon Stadler [GER] vs. Sébastien De Chaunac [FRA, WC]
Edouard Roger-Vasselin [FRA, WC] vs. Julien Jeanpierre [FRA]
Alex Bogomolov Jr. [USA] vs. Michael Llodra [FRA, 2]

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 01-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #82
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

(4)Michael Russell (USA) d. Laurent Recouderc (FRA) 6-0 6-1

According to Truc, Russ won the match in 51 minutes and barely made an error, great start to the season, now win it big man.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:42 AM   #83
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Good stuff Mike and the tournament is open now and he plays Sidorenko in the next round all good training for the AO qualies.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #84
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

Mike takes out Sidorenko with ease 6-1 6-2, he plays Thierry Ascione in a few hours.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #85
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Mike has been in very good form and he won his QF and had a retirement against him in the semi final.

He defeated Ascione 6-1 6-2 and was leading Okun 6-2 2-1 retired

He is a big fave against Guez in the final and hope he can continue in the same form and take out the title.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #86
country flag jole

jole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond reputejole has a reputation beyond repute

Ascione is not a bad challenger player at all, great win there.

Take out Guez!

Dominika Cibulková
jole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #87
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Good for him!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #88
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

for Mike! Too bad about Noam though-seems he is always injured these days.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #89
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Easy win for Mike in the final 6-0 6-1 over Guez.

He was clearly superior this week and just hope he still has some of that form left to qualify for the main draw of the Aus Open.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #90
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote