The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 2004 DC Thread is Now Retired

News is starting to come in.... so I figured I'd start a thread for it where we can put news and pics!
-----

U.S. vs. AUSTRIA
Tennis-x.com

Site: Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, Connecticut, USA
Surface: Hard indoors (Premier)
Ball Type: Wilson US Open Tournament Select

Not even the return of former No. 1 Thomas Muster would help the Austrians in this one. Last year's No. 1 Andy Roddick and Davis Cup rookie Robby Ginepri lead the singles effort for the Americans, while last year's No. 1 doubles team in twins Bob and Mike Bryan will be tough to beat, coming off a runner-up effort to Frenchmen Michael Llodra/Fabrice Santoro at the Australian Open.

"Robby has stepped up his game to the next level," U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe said. "He's had very consistent results. He had a very good tournament (at the Australian Open). His ranking is continuing to improve, and I felt like this was an excellent opportunity for him."

Ginepri's debut reinforced Pat Mac's lack of confidence in James Blake, who lost the No. 2 singles spot after his rank ing took a nosedive in 2003. Taylor Dent took himself out of the running after getting pasted by Roddick in Melbourne, with the oft-injured serve-and-volleyer suffering from a hip problem.

Austria features the underpowered singles squad of Stefan "Tony" Koubek and Jurgen "Tuna" Melzer, both ranked well outside the Top 50 on the ATP Rankings. Julian Knowle and Alexander Peya have also been named to the Austrian team, and some combination from the four will be offered up to the Bryan brothers in the Saturday doubles. The only hope the Austrians have is catching the U.S. squad looking too far ahead to their potential second round match with the defending champion Australians.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...

Last edited by Deboogle!. : 12-06-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #2
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bavarian Bagel?? (The Davis Cup 1st Round Thread)

And Mal's brilliant take on things:
------
It's about heart as much as skill
By MaliVai Washington
Special to ESPN.com

MELBOURNE, Australia -- The United States hasn't won the Davis Cup since 1995. That was an era when Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and Jim Courier were leading the team. Today's a new era, and it's time for a new generation of Americans to win the Davis Cup.

For the next decade, the U.S. Davis Cup team will be lead by Andy Roddick. And it's possible the Bryan brothers will be the Davis Cup doubles team for the next decade. That fourth spot on the team will be determined round-by-round, but James Blake, Robby Ginepri and Mardy Fish will most likely be rounding out that team.

It's good they are starting off playing 2004 at home in Uncasville, Conn., this weekend (ESPN2, 3 p.m. ET, Fri.). If they happen to win this first round, thye could be traveling to face the defending champions, Australia, which would be a difficult task. Davis Cup is more than just X's and O's. Who is favored and who is not. It's more about who can come together as a team and produce great tennis in a three-day span. The United States has struggled with that concept since 1996, but it now has everything it takes to win the Davis Cup.

To win the Davis Cup, you don't need the best players in the world; you need players who are able to rise to the occasion at the right time. Not too long ago, France won the Davis Cup with Arnaud Boetsch winning the fifth and final match. That year, tells us that it's more than just whom you have on your team; it's more about the character of the players on your team.

In any given year, any one of the 16 teams can win the Davis Cup. Unfortunately, it's not an event that the public embraces. But the players embrace Davis Cup dearly.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-03-2004, 12:51 AM   #3
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: Bavarian Bagel?? (The Davis Cup 1st Round Thread)

I thought Bavaria was in Germany, not Austria?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
country flag Deboogle!.

it is... but I've heard Austrian things referred to as Bavarian too, because they're close.

Plus it's only a joke anyway

Old 02-03-2004, 01:13 AM   #5
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
it is... but I've heard Austrian things referred to as Bavarian too, because they're close.

Plus it's only a joke anyway
Yes, I gathered that, but it's good to be precise.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 AM   #6
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we can come up with something allierative that is Austrian.

I mean........ it's a whole different country.

But, on the otherhand, it does carry on the tradition of the U.S. playing the anthem of another country at their tie with the Czech Republic.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:34 AM   #7
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Osterizing the Österieichers...

Oh....... I'm just too corny for words.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:34 AM   #8
country flag Deboogle!.

I did a search with Bavaria and Austria, just a random search, and a lot of the results were Austrian products being described as Bavarian. I've always heard Bavarian used in two ways - a definite geographical, and also a cultural description.

But egads, I don't feel like getting into arguments about it so I will just change the title

Old 02-03-2004, 01:41 AM   #9
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Looking for a creative title* (The Davis Cup 1st Round Thread)

Ask Naldo or Mister Man They're good with thread titles!

And Sjengster, quit being a wet blanket! Why are you even here if you don't like A-Rod?
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:49 AM   #10
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

It's ok. If Sjengester hadn't wet his pants, I would have wet mine.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:54 AM   #11
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk18bsb
I did a search with Bavaria and Austria, just a random search, and a lot of the results were Austrian products being described as Bavarian. I've always heard Bavarian used in two ways - a definite geographical, and also a cultural description.

But egads, I don't feel like getting into arguments about it so I will just change the title

I guess Bayer Asprins are sold everywhere.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:05 AM   #12
country flag Deboogle!.

Default Re: Re: Re: Bavarian Bagel?? (The Davis Cup 1st Round Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
I guess Bayer Asprins are sold everywhere.
I don't think I get this one

Old 02-03-2004, 02:11 AM   #13
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Bayer = Bavarian

It's sort of like maybe people in New York (just to pick a random place ) think there isn't any difference between Oklahoma and Texas, but Oklahomans and Texans are intensely aware of their differences.

I think both Bavarians and Austrians might be insulted to be thought pretty much the same even culturally speaking.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:12 AM   #14
country flag Sjengster

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bavarian Bagel?? (The Davis Cup 1st Round Thread)

Please people, any inference of pants-wetting must cease forthwith. I did try to put a winking smiley next to my last post, but the stupid thing didn't work properly. Besides tangerine, to paraphrase Voltaire (again), I may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death my right to come in here and say something different.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:13 AM   #15
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bavarian Bagel?? (The Davis Cup 1st Round Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster
Please people, any inference of pants-wetting must cease forthwith. I did try to put a winking smiley next to my last post, but the stupid thing didn't work properly. Besides tangerine, to paraphrase Voltaire (again), I may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death my right to come in here and say something different.
Well the smilie thingy probably shorted out because of the wet pants.