The Official PAW Rules + Supplement - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #106
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official PAW Rules + Supplement

I am even more late than you but honestly I only saw this post today.
Guys, there are only like 2 weeks to the start of the new season and there are no changes to the rules yet though now is the time to discuss whether or not we implement any changes to the rules. I think it is time PAW managers organize better and settle things clear before new season starts.
Is anyone of the managers around? Anyone in for discussion?
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #107
country flag sdtoot

sdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond repute

The vote for the rule change regarding the sending of final picks by pm to the manager was recently voted unanimously in favour of including this option in the game. Hopefully robuś can incorporate this rule change into post #1 of this thread as soon as possible.

Regarding any other proposed changes for PAW in 2011. The first thing we need to sort out is the make up of the PAW Board for 2011, so that we can organise the key administrative roles in PAW for next year and also discuss any proposed rule changes for 2011. I have started a thread here so that we can quickly finalise the members of the PAW Board for 2011.
sdtoot is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #108
country flag Wojtek

Wojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond reputeWojtek has a reputation beyond repute

I think we need to change ranking system:
1. In the Masters events such like Rome or Toronto. We have ranking points table for 96 players we need to this to 64 or even 56.
2. Rise the points of small tournaments from 200 to 250.
3. If someone doesn't play for 6 months we (PAW board or rank manager) will send pms with question is he/she playing or not. If not he will be eliminated from the ranks.
Wojtek is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #109
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallso View Post
I think 13 picks for 28-players draw is a bit too much
people have to pick almost 50% of matches and if there are any withdrawals (like in Marseille this year) it's even over 50.
in comparison, in GS it's around 20% ; ATP1000 - 30%, ATP250 with 32 - 40%

I know it's not time to discuss this case but I'm writing now before I forget
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caio_Brasil View Post
That's a good point, in the off-season we should discuss this better and fixing a percentage seems a good solution in my opinion.

Or, the ATP could end with the 28-draw shitty idea
Unfortunately both of the guys I am quoting have left PAW but still this matter should be discussed IMO.
What do you think about the ranking system? I agree with Wojtek that TMS with 56-draw should not get the same points as those with 96-draw.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #110
country flag sdtoot

sdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
I think we need to change ranking system:
1. In the Masters events such like Rome or Toronto. We have ranking points table for 96 players we need to this to 64 or even 56.
2. Rise the points of small tournaments from 200 to 250.
3. If someone doesn't play for 6 months we (PAW board or rank manager) will send pms with question is he/she playing or not. If not he will be eliminated from the ranks.
1. The nine TMS tournaments have always had PAW ranking points distribution for 96 players. When PAW was more popular, we regularly saw 90+ players in the TMS tournaments but there was a gradual drop off in numbers last year from 81 players at Indian Wells down to 68 players at Paris. Assuming there are similar numbers of players in PAW this year, if we drop down to 64 players points distribution, then it will mean that players at the bottom of the leaderboards will not score any PAW ranking points. I think this would be unfair to not score any ranking points because the nine TMS tournaments are mandatory in the PAW Entry and Race rankings. Even with the current 96 distribution, you only get 15 points for 64th place dropping down to 1 point for 96th place, so we are not talking about huge numbers of ranking points here. For this reason, I think it is better to stick with the current points distribution for TMS tournaments.

2. The points awarded in PAW for the title winners have always tried to reflect (as closely as possible) the real points awarded in the ATP rankings system. e.g.

Grand Slams, ATP=2000 PAW=1000
TMS, ATP=1000 PAW=500
ATP500, ATP=500 PAW=300
ATP250, ATP=250 PAW=200

In weeks where there is an ATP500 and an ATP250 tournament, there will normally be >30% more players at the ATP500 because the PAW players are chasing the bigger points. If we increase the winners points for the ATP250 tournaments, then we start to de-value the ATP500 tournaments. Similarly, if we then increase the winners points for the ATP500 tournaments then we start to de-value the TMS tournaments - where do we stop. Therefore I am not in favour of changing the ranking points for the smaller tournaments.

3. Obviously at the moment, a player automatically drops out of the PAW rankings if they do not play PAW for one full year - I assume that the PAW Entry rankings spreadsheet will highlight when a player falls out of the rankings after one year absence. If we look to remove players from the rankings after a six months absence, then I guess it could create unnecessary extra work for hallso to have to notify the PAW Board of this fact. Once again, I don't see any real need to change the current PAW rankings system, but maybe hallso would be a better person to comment on this.

Shaun
Old 12-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #111
country flag sdtoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallso View Post
I think 13 picks for 28-players draw is a bit too much
people have to pick almost 50% of matches and if there are any withdrawals (like in Marseille this year) it's even over 50.
in comparison, in GS it's around 20% ; ATP1000 - 30%, ATP250 with 32 - 40%

I know it's not time to discuss this case but I'm writing now before I forget
I think Greg does raise a very valid point here with the number of PAW picks in 28/32 player draws. It could easily be argued that something like 11 picks would be a more relevant number for the 28/32 player draws and it would slightly reduce the workload for the PAW Managers. However, there is just something (that I cannot put into words) that makes me slightly uncomfortable to look to implement this change. Maybe it is the fact that 13 picks has been always been the norm in PAW since the game was invented and maybe it could cause lots of confusion to the players who have always been used to having a miminimum of 13 picks per tournament.

What do others think about this possible change?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #112
country flag robuś

robuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond repute

Added point 5.1.
Changed the previous 5.1 to 5.2 and 5.2 to 5.3.

Quote:
5.1 "Final pick rule"

The last pick (on the final day only) can be, but it is not a must, send via pm to the manager of the tournament. It would be good, not obligatory, but recommended that the player posts on the paw thread informing about his/her move. The manager can then post the picks he/she has received via pm once the final has started or when they are next online.

http://www.powerplaymanager.com/
robuś is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #113
country flag purtov45

purtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably, I have not understood a rule. Explain, please. I have learned, that it is possible to replace the pick. But how to be, if I wish to make replacement in the future? Whether I can cancel now, and replacement to make next day?
PAW: #94(15 nov 2010) --> #71(7 feb 2011)
purtov45 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #114
country flag sdtoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by purtov45 View Post
Probably, I have not understood a rule. Explain, please. I have learned, that it is possible to replace the pick. But how to be, if I wish to make replacement in the future? Whether I can cancel now, and replacement to make next day?
Yes you can cancel or replace any PAW pick - provided that the match of your original pick has not started. Also, if a particular match does not go ahead (e.g. because a player has been replaced in the draw or there is a walkover) then you can also replace that particular PAW pick. If you cancel a PAW pick then you can make the replacement at any time after the cancelation of the pick (e.g. the next day).

To help the manager, it is better to quote your original pick and then write the replacement pick under the quote. e.g.

Re-PAW1 : Player A over Player B
Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #115
country flag purtov45

purtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond repute

sdtoot
I thank for exhaustive explanation
PAW: #94(15 nov 2010) --> #71(7 feb 2011)
purtov45 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #116
country flag GameSetMatch!

GameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond reputeGameSetMatch! has a reputation beyond repute

Can I join?
GameSetMatch! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #117
country flag pedroruizbo

pedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond reputepedroruizbo has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to propose a modification of the rules of the game. For example, in the specific case of a final match , where there are only two players, if one person wrongly names one of the two players , it should be obvious that the pick is referred to that player whose name is wongly written .V.G.: if the final match is to be played between Coria and Gaudio, and I pick " Nalbandian defeats Gaudio" it is obvious that I am saying that Coria will win the match .
Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #118
country flag jervisjames

jervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond reputejervisjames has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroruizbo View Post
I would like to propose a modification of the rules of the game. For example, in the specific case of a final match , where there are only two players, if one person wrongly names one of the two players , it should be obvious that the pick is referred to that player whose name is wongly written .V.G.: if the final match is to be played between Coria and Gaudio, and I pick " Nalbandian defeats Gaudio" it is obvious that I am saying that Coria will win the match .
Sorry to disagree, but if you were thinking of Nalbandian at the time, you may think Nalbandian would beat Gaudio. And if you'd realised beforehand that it was in fact Coria playing, then you may have favoured Gaudio instead.
I dont think this could be a rule just for finals as it could happen in any match during the tournament.

Last edited by jervisjames : 04-08-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: corrected name
jervisjames is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #119
country flag robuś

robuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond reputerobuś has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with jervisjames.

http://www.powerplaymanager.com/
robuś is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #120
country flag Thunderfish8

Thunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderfish8 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the tiebreak system is too short. Is there a third step we can use?? On another forum, I'm most likely gonna end up with two players that not only have the same points, but they each have picks worth 18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 0, 0, 0, and 0 points. They are the top two players in the particular PAW on this other forum so do you guys have any suggestions as for how to break the tie????????????????
Thunderfish8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote