The Official PAW Rules + Supplement - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #136
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official PAW Rules + Supplement

Quote:
Originally Posted by purtov45 View Post
The rule about WC is intended for managers.
When I am the manager, I am strained with complex bureaucratic rules of granting WC. I cannot understand, why cannot simply write

Also should write

The offered variations release the manager from extra work.

this is not bureaucratic at all, this is giving the player a choice whether or not s/he wants to play using 1 of her/his WCs. Sometimes players post picks thinking they have committed to this tournament. When you tell them they should be a WC they have to be free to choose. What you suggest means you as a manager decide for them that they have to use 1 of their WCs. What happens if someone doesn't want to waste a WC on a 250 tournament? Picks are posted, WC is granted automatically -> WC is counted used. No going back.

IMO it is not for the manager to decide when the players should use their WCs. I have had players who once they learned they'll need to play as WC they just didn't play, probably keeping their WCs for bigger tournaments.

I am against your suggestion because it deprives the players from choice. IMO players have to state clearly they want to spend 1 of their WCs on that specific tournament.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #137
country flag Cava

Cava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond reputeCava has a reputation beyond repute

Agree w/ Aenea here about asking for a WC.
It is player's responsibility to sign up for tournaments/ask for a WC if they have forgotten.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #138
country flag purtov45

purtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond repute

I not only the manager, but also the player too.
Let's assume, that I became very forgetful.
I have forgotten to commits.
I have forgotten to find myself in the list of commitments.
And certainly I do not remember, how many WC I used in it to year.
And nevertheless I do pick PAW01.
Well what for the manager asks me, whether I want WC?... While I shall answer, half of tournament will pass...
The manager should regret me and give me WC automatically!
PAW: #94(15 nov 2010) --> #71(7 feb 2011)
purtov45 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #139
country flag purtov45

purtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond reputepurtov45 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cava View Post
Agree w/ Aenea here about asking for a WC.
It is player's responsibility to sign up for tournaments/ask for a WC if they have forgotten.
Well, the player bears the responsibility for ask for a WC.
Then picks, made before to ask, it is necessary to ignore all.
Item 17.6 maybe such:
Quote:
17.6 What if a player posts picks without commitment or WC?

His picks are not valid. After inquiry WC to make picks follows anew.

Last edited by purtov45 : 06-11-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #140
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Aenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond reputeAenea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I not only the manager, but also the player too.
Let's assume, that I became very forgetful.
I have forgotten to commits.
I have forgotten to find myself in the list of commitments.
And certainly I do not remember, how many WC I used in it to year.

And nevertheless I do pick PAW01.
Yeah and what is next for the managers - posting picks for those who have forgotten to post picks? Managers' job is to manage the tournament not to look after PAW players' successes. It is players' responsibility to join a tournament if they want to play it. Managers are not school teachers and this is not a kindergarten to hold players' hand through the entire tournament. If they want to play they know what they have to do.
For me this is the end of story. I have stated my opinion and there are no arguments that can change it. I have looked this situation from both managers' and players' POV and my opinion that I have already expressed is final.
If one becomes very forgetful (forgets to commit, forgets to check Commitments list, forgets to ask for WC) s/he just doesn’t play that specific tournament.
And if you don't remember how many WC you have used you can always check the Wildcards thread. It is there for that purpose – managers and players to check on the WC. As you can see Paw Board is keeping track for those who are very forgetful.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #141
country flag purtov45

It was interesting to me to find out, why rules such.
Thanks Aenea for a detailed explanation. It seems, I have understood, and this understanding will facilitate to me management in the future.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #142
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

Quote:
It was interesting to me to find out, why rules such.
Thanks Aenea for a detailed explanation. It seems, I have understood, and this understanding will facilitate to me management in the future.
All my posts were only presenting my opinion and nothing more.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #143
jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond repute

Are you allowed to pick 16 matches in round 1 in a tournament where you have 16 picks? I know in slams is not allowed to pick 26 in round one! And if player doesn't respond, which pick is invalid - last one (PAW16) or last one played?
WISHLIST Robby GINEPRI Blaž KAVČIČ Michael LLODRA Feliciano LOPEZ Tomas BERDYCH Martin KLIZAN Julien BENNETEAU Novak DJOKOVIC Dmitry TURSUNOV Janko TIPSAREVIC Stanislas WAWRINKA Thomaz BELLUCCI Eduardo SCHWANK Benoit PAIRE Gilles MULLER Juan Martin del POTRO John ISNER Philipp PETZSCHNER Gilles SIMON Mardy FISH Grigor DIMITROV Florian MAYER
Quote:
HATE LIST Rafael NADAL Andy MURRAY Lleyton HEWITT Marcos BAGHDATIS Bernard TOMIC Fernando VERDASCO Nikolay DAVYDENKO Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV Fabio FOGNINI Gael MONFILS Tommy HAAS Carlos BERLOCQ Albert MONTANES Paolo LORENZI
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #144
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

The rules say

Quote:
>> The only stipulation is that you may not make all of your picks in the same round.
without specifying a tournament so I guess it applies for all tournaments no matter MM, Masters or GS.

As for the pick - I scratch the last one from the set. I had a case like that before and Shaun said I should ask the player but if the player doesn't choose which pick is to be deleted to scratch the last one as invalid.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #145
jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond reputejrm has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for the anwser
WISHLIST Robby GINEPRI Blaž KAVČIČ Michael LLODRA Feliciano LOPEZ Tomas BERDYCH Martin KLIZAN Julien BENNETEAU Novak DJOKOVIC Dmitry TURSUNOV Janko TIPSAREVIC Stanislas WAWRINKA Thomaz BELLUCCI Eduardo SCHWANK Benoit PAIRE Gilles MULLER Juan Martin del POTRO John ISNER Philipp PETZSCHNER Gilles SIMON Mardy FISH Grigor DIMITROV Florian MAYER
Quote:
HATE LIST Rafael NADAL Andy MURRAY Lleyton HEWITT Marcos BAGHDATIS Bernard TOMIC Fernando VERDASCO Nikolay DAVYDENKO Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV Fabio FOGNINI Gael MONFILS Tommy HAAS Carlos BERLOCQ Albert MONTANES Paolo LORENZI
Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #146
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

btw this stipulation is puzzling me. I don't understand why is it there. Some time ago we disscussed it here with a player but we couldn't find a logical explanation for its existence.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #147
jrm

i just wish WTA and ATP PAW had identical rules since i'm doing both sides
Quote:
Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #148
country flag sdtoot

sdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond reputesdtoot has a reputation beyond repute

The rule stating that all picks cannot be made from the same round is identical for both ATP and WTA PAW. Don't ask me why the rule exists but I guess it has been in existance from the original introduction of PAW onto both forums.

Tina - yes the last pick (PAW16) would be invalid in this case for a 16 pick tournament.
sdtoot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #149
country flag Aenea
Vault Hunter

When it was introduced to MTF, probably but not when it was originally introduced to WTAWorld now known as tennisforum

this is the introduction in 2002

Quote:
PICK-A-WINNER (PAW) - INTRODUCTION

Welcome to Pick-A-Winner (PAW), the Predictions game!

The rules are simple: Just pick the winners of any 13 Main Draw matches. You choose the matches and you pick the winners. You get more points for picking low-ranked winners than for picking high-ranked winners.

then in 2003 people who have picked the game on tennisforum from Simon have decided to change the original rules

and in the end of 2003 the new rules (as we know them now) have been introduced and were in use from 2004.

I never found info why have they decided to come up with that stipulation. On the previous page I have written a post about that.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #150
country flag Daniel_amr

Daniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_amr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, is tehere a max qty of tournaments to be played during a season? I mean, similar to ATP rankings

Singles: 197 (High 166 Feb 3 - 2014)
Finals: 0-1
2013 RU: Salinas CH

Doubles: 83 (High 80 Aug 04 - 2014)
Finals: 4-6
2012 W: Villa Allende CH; Guayaquil CH // RU: Tashkent CH; Buenos Aires CH; Marbella CH (w/SamR03A)
2013 W: Mons CH (w/Renaud); Yeongwol CH;// RU: Guayaquil CH (w/cserkinho) Chennai (w/SamR03A)
2014 RU: Mohameddia CH, Manta CH (w/dinkulpus)
Daniel_amr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote