A Help Guide to Running a PAW Event - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Help Guide to Running a PAW Event

First Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
country flag Snowwy

Snowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond reputeSnowwy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Help Guide to Running a PAW Event

Creating the Event Thread

Step 1

You want to post a thread here in the tournament subfolder. There are a few ways to do it. I will always describe how I do it, but other managers may differ.

You need to make 7 consecutive posts to begin the thread. They can just be 1111, 2222, 3333...7777 for now if you want.

This is the thread for an event that I ran.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=592042

Post 1

When I open my thread, I always just copy paste this post from my previous events. You can do this by quoting my post and copying it, then remove the quote code at the top of the post and at the bottom of the post.

Changes to Make

- Change the title of the post to your event. The number and name of your event can be found here, in the first post of the Managers thread.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=563593

- Under the commitment window, there is a link to the current commitment time period. Decide which commitment window your event is from and find the corresponding thread here:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

Post 2

For now, I usually just call it Scoring Points. Nothing else is needed here because everything posted here comes from the spreadsheet.

Post 3

For now, I usually just call it League Table. Nothing else is needed here because everything posted here comes from the spreadsheet.

Post 4

For now, I usually just call it Pick Summery. Nothing else is needed here because everything posted here comes from the spreadsheet.

Post 5

For now, I usually just call it Statistics. Nothing else is needed here because everything posted here comes from the spreadsheet. The first 10 events I ran, I did not provide stats. There is no need to do this, but I will still explain in case you choose to do this.

Post 6

Post 6 is where I put the entry lists. The PAW entry list is taken from the spreadsheet. Details will be posted in the spreadsheet post below. The ATP entry list is taken from the event subfolder. I don't even think it is needed, but I post it. For example, for the 2015 Houston event, it is found:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=593761

Post 7

Post 7 is announcements. I almost never have any, but I have that there in case. In the last tournament I ran, I was away a few days at the end, so I posted that in the announcements before the event began so that players would know what to expect.

-------------------

I usually try to open this thread but Saturday at the latest, but really it does not need to be opened until the Order of Play is released containing the first main draw match. If you have the time, you should ty to get it up at early as you want.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
country flag Snowwy

Preparing the Spreadsheet for the Event

Download the PAW Spreadsheet that you will be using

The spreadsheet that I am using is currently not available to download, but I can PM it to anyone.

Evita provided some spreadsheets that are similar to the one I use, but my instructions will not match exactly. I use the one I use because it provides stats and I find it quicker to enter the ATP draw, but they are all good.

Enter the ATP Draw

- Select the ATPdraw tab. The draw will be entered in column F.

- Each line will contain one match. The format of the matches is very important. The first name must be one name, which means that if a player is a seed, or a wildcard, there cannot be a space between the seed and players first name.

Example: [1][WC]Feliciano LOPEZ vs Bye

- As the draw is filled out, the players names will populate column A.

- Rankings points for each player must be added to column B. Rankings points can be found on the ATP website. The ranking list that is used is the one from the time of the draw. Generally it is from the week before the event. Be careful when adding points for qualifiers that the correct week has been selected.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

Set the Correct Day of the Event

- Using the DREPORT tab, scroll to the top yellow cell. Set the number there to the day of the event.

Importing the PAW Entry List

- This is the last thing that I do so that I do not have to change the entry list more than once.

- Find the correct entry list from the PAW folder.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

- Copy the entry list from your internet browser. Paste to the PAW13 tab in your spreadsheet beneath the orange highlighted cell B3, which says Entry List from MTF.

- When you paste the PAW entry list, 'Entry List (formatted)' is populated in column D.

- Copy all of the players in 'Entry list (formatted)' and move over to the standings in column H. Select 'Paste Special' and select 'Values'

Last edited by Snowwy : 04-03-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Snowwy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
country flag Snowwy

Updating the Thread using the Spreadsheet prior to Event Beginning

Once the spreadsheet is set up, you need to go back and update your thread. Anytime I have used [-code] and [-/code], you must delete the - in each part.

Post 1

- No changes need to be made.

Post 2

- Scoring Points can now be inputed. In the spreadsheet under the ATPdraw tab, there is a section starting in cell A36 with '[-code]' and ending in cell A53 with '[-/code]'. This entire section needs to be copied and pasted into the post.

Post 3

- The initial league table can now be copied into the third post. In the spreadsheet, under the PAW13 tab, there is a section starting at G1 and going to column L. You need to add '[-code]' and [-/code] at the end of the pasted section.

Post 4

- The initial post summery can be found in the tab Picks. It must be copied from A1 to the end of the populated section. You need to add '[-code]' and [-/code] at the end of the pasted section.

Post 5

Post 6

- The PAW Entry List can now be added. It can be copied from the PAW13 tab. It must be copied from D3 to the end of the entry list. You need to add '[-code]' and [-/code] at the end of the pasted section.

Post 7

Last edited by Snowwy : 04-03-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Snowwy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
country flag Snowwy

Using the Spreadsheet Throughout the Event
Old 04-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
country flag Snowwy

Updating the Thread Throughout the Event
Old 04-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
country flag Snowwy

Final Update of the Thread After the Event
Old 04-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
country flag Snowwy

I will attempt to update this thread over this weekend. Any feedback is appreciated. This thread is based off of how I run a PAW event.

Disclaimer: I am a fairly new manager, so this may not always include the best way to do everything, but it is how I manage.